HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa (Merged with Poll)

View Poll Results: Are You a Hossa Supporter?
YES -I always Hoped for the best with him 108 55.10%
YES -I was not a supporter of him at the start of this season but i'm liking him now! 63 32.14%
NO - I wasn't a supporter of him and despite him playing better he shouldnt be on the Team 11 5.61%
NO - I wasnt a supporter of him from the start, still not. 14 7.14%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-19-2007, 10:06 AM
NYROrtsFan

vCash: 500
Its not as simple as playing with Jagr imo because Hossa was playing good before he was even with Jagr. ANd playing good for months without Jagr. The guy has just gotten better.

I think dynamo's opinion on Prucha couldnt be anymore exact. Inside the faceoff circles he shows a very good quick twitch and sense for scoring goals, but outside of that, the passing isnt where it is supposed to be.

I was very hopeful and disappointed in Prucha when he didnt show up in better shape... Players at the professional level in all sports have to take it upon themselves to get better and Prucha seemingly did none of those things.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I was very hopeful and disappointed in Prucha when he didnt show up in better shape... Players at the professional level in all sports have to take it upon themselves to get better and Prucha seemingly did none of those things.
Are you serious? Do you not see the physical beatings Prucha takes game after game? Leave him alone. Actually where was it reported that Prucha was not in shape in the first place? On top of that, he had come back from the first knee injury in his career.

If anything, I'd be quite alright that he doesn't come in looking like Rod Brind'Amour. Cut the puny guy some slack. I for one do not want to see another Dube horsemeat debacle.

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:44 AM
NYROrtsFan

I dont mean that he was out of shape, but i was hopeful that he'd show up with a bit more muscle and bulk... Even if he doesnt want to pay for some type of nutritionist then do enough research to get some type of program down that would build muscle.

I was hoping to see a few pounds of added muscle. NOthing crazy, just an improvement. He needs more strength on the puck and he even likes to throw the body so added muscle/bulk would help. Even in those beatings he takes... Again, not looking for a huge difference, just something.

Point is that the best players in all sports are the ones who do that extra amount of work...

Old
02-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
The thing about Marcel is that, except for the very first few weeks when he joined the Rangers, he was consistent in his hustle away from the puck, and in learning, and playing well, the defensive game. While all the calls for his head were coming down because he didn't put up any numbers, he was helping his team in other ways.

I am happy that he has found his offensive touch. I do not believe he will ever be as good as his brother, he simply doesn't have the instincts for it. He tends to find an open spot and literally stand there, once someone like Jagr has the puck, rather than sneaking in and out of holes, as the best goal scorers do. But I think he can be a second-line player, or maybe has an outside shot at the first-line if he is consistent.

Still, he always helped the team, and really there are very few people who argued that on his behalf way back when. Even though his play on the defensive side has not changed all that much since he first came over, somehow he is hailed as "turning things around." I think simply seeing him do better WITH the puck has changed people's perception of him WITHOUT it, even though the major improvement has come with confidence WITH the puck for him.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:31 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'll say I "support" him even though he's not on "my team." I like his style, and he gets the job done when need be.

Still, my favorite Rangers are Shanny and Cullen.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Choice

Jagr on Hossa:

"He's as good as his brother"

Wow. Do you think Jaromir truly believes this?

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
NYROrtsFan

Either he does or he doesnt and is trying to give Hossa even more confidence.

Both are good for Hossa and the team.

Old
02-19-2007, 12:34 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Are you serious? Do you not see the physical beatings Prucha takes game after game? Leave him alone. Actually where was it reported that Prucha was not in shape in the first place? On top of that, he had come back from the first knee injury in his career.

If anything, I'd be quite alright that he doesn't come in looking like Rod Brind'Amour. Cut the puny guy some slack. I for one do not want to see another Dube horsemeat debacle.
Pure and simple, Prucha is a scorer, he's not going to morph into a playmaker, and I'm fine with that. They need to put him on one of the top 2 lines and leave him to do his thing. I guarantee you'll see results.

As far as Marcel goes.....I think what Jagr means is this, you can't teach what the guy has as far as strength and size goes, he's got alot of talent , no question, and more playing time,better linemates, and a coach who believes in you helps bring out the talent.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
i am too.. i am not so confident he can keep this up. he's been given so many opportunities, it seems like it's just a good streak and one that he's not even playing all that much different, just pucks are going in

and LMAO at that high % being supporters expecting him to do this much.. puhhlease
I don't strut myself much but I was one of the supporters, and I know for damn sure I was fighting off basically everyone. The real support % is probably around 10.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:09 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I don't strut myself much but I was one of the supporters, and I know for damn sure I was fighting off basically everyone. The real support % is probably around 10.
I was too since he came over.......and I was ridiculed mercillesly for supporting Hossa, and looking past the lack of point production. True he did look lost at times on the ice last season, but I thought it was to be expected from a young guy, especially a European player, coming from Montreal to NY, who hasn't established himself yet!

Old
02-19-2007, 03:11 PM
BigE

As I pointed out earlier 90 people supporting him seemed a little funny - now it's at 102. To be fair, however, the first option reads "I've always Hoped for the best with him," which isn't nearly the same thing as "I've always supported him." Who wouldn't "hope for the best" with any player? The poll leaves a little to be desired, tbh.

Then again, this isn't a pissing contest. It shouldn't be turned into a "I was right, you were wrong" event; although those types of things are easy fall into when you get two distinct sides that have been divided for so long.

If you really want to know who's been a Hossa supporter from the get-go, just ask TB. He's been there on the other side of EVERY argument.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:41 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
As I pointed out earlier 90 people supporting him seemed a little funny - now it's at 102. To be fair, however, the first option reads "I've always Hoped for the best with him," which isn't nearly the same thing as "I've always supported him." Who wouldn't "hope for the best" with any player? The poll leaves a little to be desired, tbh.

Then again, this isn't a pissing contest. It shouldn't be turned into a "I was right, you were wrong" event; although those types of things are easy fall into when you get two distinct sides that have been divided for so long.

If you really want to know who's been a Hossa supporter from the get-go, just ask TB. He's been there on the other side of EVERY argument.
I got news for ya....those numbers are wrong, I'm not allowed to vote. When I switched my screen name, I started over from scratch here!

Old
02-19-2007, 03:44 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Jagr on Hossa:

lately? yeah, that's hard to argue.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:47 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Just look at Hossa's production over the past 6 games. Those are stats thats star players like his brother Marian put up. He has almost been getting a goal every game.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Fletch

Hossa's..

playing with confidence - the goal he scored yesterday would've been a save 10 games ago. It will be interesting to see how he performs down the stretch - seen him fading a bit the last couple games (nothing major, just a few pre-Jagr Hossa-like shifts with a couple missed shots), but he's produced in each of those games, and in one, the team really didn't show up. If he doesn't fade, he will be an asset.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:17 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Jagr on Hossa:

No.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I dont mean that he was out of shape, but i was hopeful that he'd show up with a bit more muscle and bulk... Even if he doesnt want to pay for some type of nutritionist then do enough research to get some type of program down that would build muscle.

I was hoping to see a few pounds of added muscle. NOthing crazy, just an improvement. He needs more strength on the puck and he even likes to throw the body so added muscle/bulk would help. Even in those beatings he takes... Again, not looking for a huge difference, just something.

Point is that the best players in all sports are the ones who do that extra amount of work...
Dude, it's not always so easy to just throw on a "few" pounds of muscle. Not to mention he was continuing to rehab his knee last summer.

Some people just truly don't bulk up that easily, especially when they play a sport like hockey that requires so much energy. I don't think Prucha has the genetics and body build to play at even 185-190 lbs. At least not without a lot of "suppliments" that are probably banned by the NHL.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
dkich96

Great players make players around them better, while good players excel when playing with great players... Marcel is a good player no ifs ands and buts....

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:05 PM
The Thomas J.*

Hossa Is on FIRE! Smoking hot baby! kEEP IT GOING!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:39 AM
lotus

I too laughed at how many people claim they supported Hossa from the start. I did at the start of this year when i saw how well he held on to the puck, and then began really hoping for him to do good after his first shootout win for us. (That little dance made him so easy to cheer for, plus he's the underdog to his brother and all that stuff).

I haven't read the whole thread and im not sure if anyone has seen this yet but an interesting snippet from Blueshirt Bulletin:

Jagr gushed about his newest linemate when asked about Hossa, who scored for the fourth time in five games and fifth time in seven games (albeit on a shift with Matt Cullen, who made a great play to set him up and had a great overall game himself). "He's a great player," Jagr said of Hossa. "Just the coach is giving him a chance to play. Don't matter who it is, if it's gonna be Mario Lemieux, he plays seven minutes a game, he's not gonna do much. He's as good as his brother, I believe." Asked if there has been a change in Hossa's game, if he has started taking the puck to the net more (as his brother does so well), Jagr said, "He did it before too -- but you didn't pay attention to him, he was on the fourth line."

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:41 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
"He did it before too -- but you didn't pay attention to him, he was on the fourth line."
I've been saying that all year

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:32 PM
dank

Five Up -- Our top five fantasy players of the week:

Quote:
Marcel Hossa -- Maybe some of brother Marian's brilliance is starting to rub off on Marcel - or maybe all he needed was more time on Jaromir Jagr's line. After scoring just three goals in the New York Rangers' first 52 games, Hossa has four in the last five, including the game-winner on Sunday against Chicago.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=289307

dank is offline   Reply With Quote