HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

French canadian players

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2007, 11:43 AM
  #51
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
The problem is that you have nothing but anecdotal evidence to support your argument that Francophone's (in general) play harder for the Habs. I may have used some hyperbole to make the point that you don't know who is going to end up being a "hard" worker, but it's still a valid point. It's a slippery slope when you let a player's origin/language become a factor in evaulating his potential impact on the team.
Of course there are no stats on the subject but that's the general impression I get when I see the team play.

tiredman is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
  #52
Mike The Wall
Registered User
 
Mike The Wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montreal Hockey Capital of The World
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
I have no problem with what you are saying BUT we did have a theo right? what happened the press helped push him out, we had Ribiero the press help push him out, Dagenais the press helped push him out. Now imagine if we have Lecavalier or Gange or Bouchard and they have a normal or sub par season they will be crucified by the media and the fans. The french players do not want to come and play here they now the rediculas situations they would have to put up with.

Mike The Wall is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 11:46 AM
  #53
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
bla, bla, bla, bla... even Stephan the great Quintal spit on the Habs for more money.
And he tremendously regreted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Reality is that most french canadians don't even want to play here, see Laraque's comments.
We had a losing team at that time. The group of players didn't look like an interesting one also. Joe Juneau said it was the worst locker room he had in his carreer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
As for the main argument, may I remind you that the worst record he Habs ever registered was by a team that counted on 18 french canaidans...

I'm so tierd of hearing this argument.
I didn't mentioned that? Don't quote me wrong: I didn't placed the focus on Quebecers but on players that have some love for the team. In it's interview, Higgins mentioned he was a Habs lover while is friends were all cheering for the Isles. I am sure that if we bring a winning team to the ice, players like him will want to stick to the team like Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman did in the past.

So please read the messages before quoting them for sayings things I am not saying. Robinson, Gainey and Smith weren't Quebec players, but they fought for their team. That's what I want to see on the ice. I don't care what language they speak as long as they fight.

Kafka is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
  #54
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall View Post
I have no problem with what you are saying BUT we did have a theo right? what happened the press helped push him out, we had Ribiero the press help push him out, Dagenais the press helped push him out. Now imagine if we have Lecavalier or Gange or Bouchard and they have a normal or sub par season they will be crucified by the media and the fans. The french players do not want to come and play here they now the rediculas situations they would have to put up with.
Yes but Ribeiro, Theodore and Dagenais weren't TRUE Quebecers.

Ribeiro is Portuguese, Theodore is Greek and Dagenais is ugly. They don't count.

waffledave is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 11:58 AM
  #55
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Gagné - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Tanguay - Briere - Dumont
Bergeron - Bouchard - Oulette
Bernier - Vermette - Latendresse

Boucher - Bergeron
Vlasic - Beauchemin
Robidas - Bouillon

Brodeur
Giguere

?

Roy G Biv* is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 11:58 AM
  #56
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall View Post
I have no problem with what you are saying BUT we did have a theo right? what happened the press helped push him out, we had Ribiero the press help push him out, Dagenais the press helped push him out. Now imagine if we have Lecavalier or Gange or Bouchard and they have a normal or sub par season they will be crucified by the media and the fans. The french players do not want to come and play here they now the rediculas situations they would have to put up with.
The press didn't push out these players but their sucky play did (most medias were even protecting these players) and if a Quebecois like Gagné, Lecavalier, etc. was not having a good season with the habs for example, he would probably be not crucified since the medias protect Quebecois (and fans usally only boo goalie).

tiredman is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:03 PM
  #57
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
You're right. This team was so much better with Joe Juneau, Patrick Traverse, Donald Audette and Patrick Poulain.

You can't just say every french canadian works harder in Montreal. In all nationalities some players work harder than others. Would you say that Martin St-Louis, Vincent Lecavalier or Simon Gagné would play with more passion if they were playing here? Or that Mike Ribeiro and José Théodore couldn't have been more focused and worked harder when they were in Montreal?

Of course for equal production a french player will be a bigger star than an english/european player. It's just normal. If Steve Nash played for the Toronto Raptors or Justin Morneau for the Blue Jays they would be the biggest stars on the team. However, it's not fair to say they would work harder then they are right now. Just like it's not right to say french canadians work harder when they play in Montreal. In fact, I think it's insulting to french canadians who play on other teams to say they don't give all they have for their team. And Saku Koivu's leadership couldn't be replaced by any french canadian in the league.

MoonlightGraham is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
  #58
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henri2014 View Post
Gainey should try to get more of them, not because im pro-french canadian, because they simply play harder for the habs.

Most of them play with intensity everyday for the habs. Look at the team right now, begin, dandy, bouillon, laps and lats are playing good hockey because they always go all out. Ok they have bad games sometimes but who doesnt? They always show up for games.

Its also the plain truth that u will play harder if u are playing for the team you grow up loving. If you are from Toronto you will play harder harder for the leafs.

Some exceptions apply but we need this team to be more filled with more player form Québec. Im not trying to be racist but its true that you will play harder if you play for you favorite team.

Last cup we won we had tons of players from Québec and they played so hard that we won even tough we werent favorites at all.

Which player can gainey get b4 the trade deadline that can really fill this need? Or wich player should we go after as a free agent? Or wich player should we draft this year?
...Ribeiro and Dagenais sure were playing harder for the Habs....So did Audette, Traverse, Dykhuis. And Now Dandenault and Bouillon are playing soooo much better then anglophones. Why is it that when you guys think Québec born players you only think of Begin type players or the dynamic duo in tampa? There are tons of soft floating french canadian players too.

It's never about the origin of a player...its about getting the right players.

znk is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
  #59
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
You're right. This team was so much better with Joe Juneau, Patrick Traverse, Donald Audette and Patrick Poulain.

You can't just say every french canadian works harder in Montreal. In all nationalities some players work harder than others. Would you say that Martin St-Louis, Vincent Lecavalier or Simon Gagné would play with more passion if they were playing here? Or that Mike Ribeiro and José Théodore couldn't have been more focused and worked harder when they were in Montreal?
Read my posts again.

Bad players are bad players. I'm talking about the general impression I have that most Quebecois who plays for the habs works harder than on other team and that they work harder than most players from other nationalities (also in the team). We are not talking about that we should fill the team with 23 quebecois who have no talent just because they are quebecois.

tiredman is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
  #60
GoHabsGO252006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Hmm...I see this conversation is slightly crazy.

Let me see here...I think I have the solution, let's bring in hard working players who want to play here regardless of if they are french canadian, that should work.

on a few other notes.

1. While I like the kid, I don't see Latendresse working so hard. But that could just be his lack of experience at knowing how to do certain things.
2. Bouillon is technically American and not french canadian.
3. Instead of french canadians I saw we get players who will win us a cup, regardless of their race, religion, culture etc...
4. I like the Habs.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
  #61
GoHabsGO252006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Oh I forgot the ultimate plan for the Habs long term future.

We have BG and Hayley Wickenheiser hook up with artificial incemination so she has quintuplets, and keep BG GM then he will get them all cause they will refuse to play for another team and will have 5 amazing players....although not french canadian...is that ok?

GO HABS GO

GoHabsGO252006 is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
  #62
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Please stop saying "french canadian" when refering to Quebecers for 3 reasons:

1: There are other french canadians in Canada that aren't Quebecers and they don't want to be forgotten or included as Quebecers.

2: Quebec has a history which differs a lot from other french canadians and english canadians.

3: Since the quiet revolution, we refer to ourselves has Quebecers not french canadian...respect that.

Thank you

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
  #63
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Please stop saying "french canadian" when refering to Quebecers for 3 reasons:

1: There are other french canadians in Canada that aren't Quebecers and they don't want to be forgotten or included as Quebecers.

2: Quebec has a history which differs a lot from other french canadians and english canadians.

3: Since the quiet revolution, we refer to ourselves has Quebecers not french canadian...respect that.

Thank you
I guess the original poster can tell us what to respect. He did after all say French Canadian, thereby eliminating Randy McKay and Mathew Lombardi, who are in fact Quebecers. Benoit Pouliot would therefore be attractive.

mcphee is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:46 PM
  #64
Courtnall6
Registered User
 
Courtnall6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Bring back Richer!!

Courtnall6 is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:57 PM
  #65
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
I wonder why they don't put more blueberries in these muffins?

BJCOLLINS is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
  #66
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
I wonder why they don't put more blueberries in these muffins?
I think if any Lac St.Jean posters are here, they may object to the term 'blueberry'.

mcphee is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 01:08 PM
  #67
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,208
vCash: 500
who cares where they are from? As long as they can play good hockey and help the team.

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
  #68
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!
 
ROCKZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Yes but Ribeiro, Theodore and Dagenais weren't TRUE Quebecers.

Ribeiro is Portuguese, Theodore is Greek and Dagenais is ugly. They don't count.
lol ! poor Dagenais ... I heard he's somewhere in Germany averaging 5 points a game ...

ROCKZO is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
  #69
milou
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
i am a long time reader of this board , and i am always surprised to see how big and fast are the reactio of few posters , when the words FRENCH OR QUEBECERS are in a thread .

They are always the same group of names that use the same kind of arguements or player's names , to prove that the local players are the last thing the team needs .

Look at the names you put in your posts ;

Juneau ; end of career players that was hire to be the 3 th line center . He was slow , but never he wasn't working hard

Poulin ; Same , a 3 th liner that was there to play a defensive game . Never did a lot of points , but was working hard in his role .

Ribeiro ; i never bought the idea that Ribs was lazzy . He was just slow , and he liked to play a scientific game .His defensive ? we all see this season that Ryder was the bad player on the line . For me , Ribeiro add a lot of things on his game last season , and i remember that a lot of fans were surprise by his game , during the second part of the season . That's because he worked hard .We also see that season , that he was not playing with easy to play players .

Dagenais ; I agree that he was not the better one . But like all the Traverse and Dagenais of the world , we could named plenty of English or Euro players , that were not better than them .

It's easy to give few names of players that were not good and were french , but during the last 12 years of the Habs , who was good ?

milou is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
  #70
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
lol ! poor Dagenais ... I heard he's somewhere in Germany averaging 5 points a game ...
2 points a game in Austria I believe.

le_sean is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 01:48 PM
  #71
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Ribs, Dagenais, theo and most of the guys mentioned, weren't exactly the hardest working bunch.

I think if the fans know your working hard out there regardless of the skill you have or don't have, they'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Reuben is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 01:50 PM
  #72
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,359
vCash: 500
I don't care about the number of Quebercers on the team. The main problem with them is the fact that a lot of people will hate them simply because they are Quebecers, in reaction, or at least just in case someone likes them more because of it...

LeMAD is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 01:51 PM
  #73
PK76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
I want M-A Vlasic!!!

PK76 is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
  #74
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
CoupeStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
I agree but wont talk about it since I know how it'll end up.

Been there, done that.

CoupeStanley is offline  
Old
02-19-2007, 02:20 PM
  #75
shimy1221*
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henri2014 View Post
Gainey should try to get more of them, not because im pro-french canadian, because they simply play harder for the habs.

Most of them play with intensity everyday for the habs. Look at the team right now, begin, dandy, bouillon, laps and lats are playing good hockey because they always go all out. Ok they have bad games sometimes but who doesnt? They always show up for games.

Its also the plain truth that u will play harder if u are playing for the team you grow up loving. If you are from Toronto you will play harder harder for the leafs.

Some exceptions apply but we need this team to be more filled with more player form Québec. Im not trying to be racist but its true that you will play harder if you play for you favorite team.

Last cup we won we had tons of players from Québec and they played so hard that we won even tough we werent favorites at all.

Which player can gainey get b4 the trade deadline that can really fill this need? Or wich player should we go after as a free agent? Or wich player should we draft this year?
uhh...wha?....what ??? r u for real ?

shimy1221* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.