HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo (15% Retained), Prospect Traded Back To Florida for Markstrom, Matthias

Old
03-07-2014, 11:06 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Congrats on the shutout win tonight, great way to re-start for Luongo. Didn't know what to think when I first heard about the trade, but this thread has been good reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post
Wut? We has goalie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
This is not only a huge trade for the on ice aspects of this team, it's a huge day for the business side of the team. I'm more than excited for next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Remember this is a guy who WANTS to be here, that is saying a lot and yes on the business side you can't deny that this will help bring in/back fans. Getting a big time, big player is huge for this team. They essentially have a star player again in their prime.
As an Arizona resident, I won't be buying a FLA season ticket for next season, but love the video / sales pitch on the website. Excited for y'all. The arrow is pointed up.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 03:40 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Canucks fan here wishing you guys the best.

Good to see Lu get a SO in his first game back, and hopefully he'll be a brick wall for you guys the rest of the way...

So you guys can't outsuck us for a higher draft spot

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Aksu

Found this on r.e.d.d.i.t!

Aksu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 12:13 AM
CanadianPantherFan

^^^ I love that. Loved old Pink Panther movies. If someone can size that down love to use that for my new avy. Awesome find

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 12:39 AM
Aksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
^^^ I love that. Loved old Pink Panther movies. If someone can size that down love to use that for my new avy. Awesome find
Here you go!

Old
03-09-2014, 04:23 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksu View Post
Here you go!
Thanks! Love your avy by the way. I was watching that series highlights on youtube the other day (30 minutes great viewing for all). I really think that Philly-Florida series was my fav all time.

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Thanks! Love your avy by the way. I was watching that series highlights on youtube the other day (30 minutes great viewing for all). I really think that Philly-Florida series was my fav all time.
Yeh, I agree, such epic battles.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

This link is for any upcoming Vancouver trolls.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/canu...nter-ice-goal/

Maybe Markstrom has a chance to start soon...

Would be funny if Vancouver went from goalie controversy...

Who is better - Luongo or Schneider?

to

Who is worse - Lack or Markstrom?

We've had some very nice & friendly Canuck fans coming by lately, but there were plenty of not-so-nice (ahem) ones after the FIRST Luongo trade.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 03-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.
angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Benched

Torts on not pulling Lack: Markstrom just isnt ready

Not even ready enough to replace a guy who allowed seven goals in a period. Ouch.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:35 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
This link is for any upcoming Vancouver trolls.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/canu...nter-ice-goal/

Maybe Markstrom has a chance to start soon...

Would be funny if Vancouver went from goalie controversy...

Who is better - Luongo or Schneider?

to

Who is worse - Lack or Markstrom?

We've had some very nice & friendly Canuck fans coming by lately, but there were plenty of not-so-nice (ahem) ones after the FIRST Luongo trade.
Probably the same guys calling Luongo names now because he wanted out of Vancouver. They were the same ones that thought it was great when he wanted out of here.

PBPantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
If Markstrom continues to falter in Vancouver like he did here, it won't be because Markstrom simply isn't that good of a goaltender, it will be due to how Markstrom was handled in Florida, and how we ruined a great prospect - leaving him void of any responsibility of his own play.

Be prepared for that, because it will come.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Effe

vCash: 4000
So i stopped watching after 2 periods since nucks was up 3-0 and i was sure they would win... But Läck will be a great goalie he just arent a 1st goalie yet, and Nucks would need someone like Thomas for a year or two that he could share it with.

Effe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Torts on not pulling Lack: Markstrom just isnt ready
Torts is just hating. Markstrom is ready and the only reason he wasn't in the NHL this year full-time was because the Panthers are cheap and didn't want to pay Clem to play in the AHL. Don't blame Markstrom, blame the universe.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 11:39 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Torts is just hating. Markstrom is ready and the only reason he wasn't in the NHL this year full-time was because the Panthers are cheap and didn't want to pay Clem to play in the AHL. Don't blame Markstrom..

Finally you got it right !!!!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Hockeycast

This was posted in the Photoshop thread on the main boards

Hockeycast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Aksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycast View Post

ohmygod ahahahaha
That just made my day!

Old
03-11-2014, 05:34 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycast View Post

Wow. That's pretty much how Vancouver looks from an outsiders perspective!

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 06:28 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

That is spectacular.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:51 PM
TacitEndorsement

Hey, Canucks/Panthers fan here. Seriously. I'm baffled by this trade for the Panthers.

Let me start by saying I'm one of the biggest Luongo fans in the league. I have 3 of his jersey, 2 signed, picture of him on my wall. I think he's a great person and a great player. That being said I can't believe the return the Canucks got for him.

35 years old, 8 years remaining on contract, trade demand to one team.

Those three factors should have combined to force Gillis to either retain Luongo or trade him along with a mid round pick for Matthias. There's no way I would have entertained anything else if I was Dale Tallon.

The fact that Markstrom was included absolutely blows my mind. I think he's going to be at worst a serviceable goalie and his ceiling is very high. The Panthers did a very poor job developing him. I think that's putting it mildly. Not only that but they gave up on him at 24 years of age. A lot of very good goalies were in a similar place at that age. I think a high quality goalie coach could do wonders for him.

I understand that Tallon was probably trying to stimulate a fanbase, but man, I think he whiffed a bit on this one.

Am I the only one who sees the rational behind this?

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:04 PM
EnforceTheLaus
Bjugerdeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacitEndorsement View Post

35 years old, 8 years remaining on contract, trade demand to one team

Those three factors should have combined to force Gillis to either retain Luongo or trade him along with a mid round pick for Matthias. There's no way I would have entertained anything else if I was Dale Tallon.

The fact that Markstrom was included absolutely blows my mind. I think he's going to be at worst a serviceable goalie and his ceiling is very high. The Panthers did a very poor job developing him. I think that's putting it mildly. Not only that but they gave up on him at 24 years of age. A lot of very good goalies were in a similar place at that age. I think a high quality goalie coach could do wonders for him.
1. Matthias has been outplayed by the youth. He's a good energy but he isn't irreplaceable.

2. Markstrom has missed out the better part of 2 season with knee issues and wasn't really progressing. He had some good looks, sure but he wasn't close to putting it all together.

3. Time is the main factor. The youth is ready to take key roles in this team. Now is a crucial time to transition to a playoff team and the org decided it cannot wait for Marky to take the long road to being a starter. Bringing in Lu sets us up to make that transition, we get elite talent for very little cost and he gives us 4-5 years of certainty in net. Plus he's a guy who loves the area and who wants to be here. This also is something to turn the heads of agents and players heading to FA. Money wise FLA has lower taxes, and a lot of cap space. Getting Lu lets them know we are willing to spend and willing to compete, guys will get more for thier dollar down here.

Luongo here is a great thing for this team, plus the years Lu gives us is more than enough to develop a new prospect without the pressure of banking the future on him.

EnforceTheLaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Hockeycast

Quote:
Hey, Canucks/Panthers fan here. Seriously. I'm baffled by this trade for the Panthers.

Let me start by saying I'm one of the biggest Luongo fans in the league. I have 3 of his jersey, 2 signed, picture of him on my wall. I think he's a great person and a great player. That being said I can't believe the return the Canucks got for him.

I understand that Tallon was probably trying to stimulate a fanbase, but man, I think he whiffed a bit on this one.

Markstrom was given multiple chances and didn't deliver.
Lu is also a great goalie and a cap hit of 4,5 isn't bad. If he retires early it will affect the Nucks more than it will affect us. I would though have prefered Miller for next year but we wouldn't have gotten him anyways. Solid trade for Florida IMO.

Hockeycast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:14 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Panthers Postseason?

vCash: 307
Quote:

We got a top 10 goalie for a 3rd line scrub and a prospect who has so little confidence his coach won't start him against the 3rd worst team in the league in a 3 game in 4 night situation. I don't see the rationale for why Vancouver did this, and considering the Schneider fiasco, I view Gillis as one of the 3 worst GMs in the league. Florida wins this trade unless Markstrom can turn it around, and that appears doubtful right now.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post
1. Matthias has been outplayed by the youth. He's a good energy but he isn't irreplaceable.

2. Markstrom has missed out the better part of 2 season with knee issues and wasn't really progressing. He had some good looks, sure but he wasn't close to putting it all together.

3. Time is the main factor. The youth is ready to take key roles in this team. Now is a crucial time to transition to a playoff team and the org decided it cannot wait for Marky to take the long road to being a starter. Bringing in Lu sets us up to make that transition, we get elite talent for very little cost and he gives us 4-5 years of certainty in net. Plus he's a guy who loves the area and who wants to be here. This also is something to turn the heads of agents and players heading to FA. Money wise FLA has lower taxes, and a lot of cap space. Getting Lu lets them know we are willing to spend and willing to compete, guys will get more for thier dollar down here.

Luongo here is a great thing for this team, plus the years Lu gives us is more than enough to develop a new prospect without the pressure of banking the future on him.
I don't disagree that Luongo is great for the team. I think any team would benefit from having him.

My confusion stems from how much Florida gave up for him considering the metric tonne of leverage that had over Vancouver.

Yes Markstrom wasn't exactly busting down the door, but wow, I think he would have benefited INCREDIBLY from playing behind Luongo for the next 3-4 years. If anything, trading for Luongo should have made Markstrom even more untouchable.

Old
03-15-2014, 05:20 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
We got a top 10 goalie for a 3rd line scrub and a prospect who has so little confidence his coach won't start him against the 3rd worst team in the league in a 3 game in 4 night situation. I don't see the rationale for why Vancouver did this, and considering the Schneider fiasco, I view Gillis as one of the 3 worst GMs in the league. Florida wins this trade unless Markstrom can turn it around, and that appears doubtful right now.
This is a bit of a short sighted opinion on Markstrom IMO.

Cory Schneider's stat line when he was 23 years old:
8 GP, 2-4-1, 0.877 Save%

Now look at him. He's so valuable that trading him for a top 10 pick in a deep draft is considered a "fiasco" (which I agree with).

There's still so much time for a goalie like Markstrom to greatly improve, especially for somebody with so many physical tools like Jacob.

Old
03-15-2014, 05:28 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Panthers Postseason?

vCash: 307
Quote:
This is a bit of a short sighted opinion on Markstrom IMO.

Cory Schneider's stat line when he was 23 years old:
8 GP, 2-4-1, 0.877 Save%

Now look at him. He's so valuable that trading him for a top 10 pick in a deep draft is considered a "fiasco" (which I agree with).

There's still so much time for a goalie like Markstrom to greatly improve, especially for somebody with so many physical tools like Jacob.
He did nothing in 4 years here. He needs at least another 2 in the AHL to develop. Tallon had enough waiting around. So did the fans.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote