HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Eichel (2015 draftee) interesting story

Old
03-07-2014, 02:06 PM
dbhislife

vCash: 500
Jack Eichel (2015 draftee) interesting story

I found this really interesting. There is this kid in the USHL/USNTDP system named Jack Eichel who people are starting to mumble could challenge Connor McDavid for #1 overall in the 2015 draft. The current opinion is that these two have Ovie/Malkin type potential as far as starpower from the top 2 picks.

Eichel turned down the CHL last year and stayed in the U.S. when he could have gone to Halifax to play with Drouin and McKinnon. Halifax traded his rights to St. Johns, who doesn't play in the same league of the CHL as McDavid (Halifax did). Apparently this kid is so confident that he can prove he deserve to be in the conversation, that he wants to move to the CHL for his draft season ONLY if he can be traded back to the OHL so that he can play Head2Head against McDavid. Tweeets from Bob McKenzie all today.

@TSNBobMcKenzie
There are whispers elite 2015 prospect Jack Eichel may consider not going to BU if he could play head-to-head in OHL vs. Connor McDavid.

@TSNBobMcKenzie
But Eichel currently obliged to play in QMJHL if he goes jr instead of college. Halifax originally owned his rights, now it's Saint John.

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Only way to go from Q to O is to be waived by all Q teams, then claimed on waivers by OHL team. Hard to see it but if CHL wants a player...

Oh and for reference, for anyone who doesn't follow junior hockey. McDavid is the kid people are claiming could be Crosby. The kid is 2nd in the CHL in scoring at age 17. For reference, none of Stamkos, Mackinnon, Hall, Seguin, RNH, Gally, or Drouin even graced the top 10 at that age.

This isn't meant to be a "who would you draft" type of thread, as I personally hope the Panthers aren't in a position to draft either next season. However what do people think of the story? I love the idea of a kid saying, "you know what? I can beat him. Give me a chance to go show it, and let scouts compare Apples to Apples."

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:11 PM
AaronEkbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
I found this really interesting. There is this kid in the USHL/USNTDP system named Jack Eichel who people are starting to mumble could challenge Connor McDavid for #1 overall in the 2015 draft. The current opinion is that these two have Ovie/Malkin type potential as far as starpower from the top 2 picks.

Eichel turned down the CHL last year and stayed in the U.S. when he could have gone to Halifax to play with Drouin and McKinnon. Halifax traded his rights to St. Johns, who doesn't play in the same league of the CHL as McDavid (Halifax did). Apparently this kid is so confident that he can prove he deserve to be in the conversation, that he wants to move to the CHL for his draft season ONLY if he can be traded back to the OHL so that he can play Head2Head against McDavid. Tweeets from Bob McKenzie all today.

@TSNBobMcKenzie
There are whispers elite 2015 prospect Jack Eichel may consider not going to BU if he could play head-to-head in OHL vs. Connor McDavid.

@TSNBobMcKenzie
But Eichel currently obliged to play in QMJHL if he goes jr instead of college. Halifax originally owned his rights, now it's Saint John.

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Only way to go from Q to O is to be waived by all Q teams, then claimed on waivers by OHL team. Hard to see it but if CHL wants a player...

Oh and for reference, for anyone who doesn't follow junior hockey. McDavid is the kid people are claiming could be Crosby. The kid is 2nd in the CHL in scoring at age 17. For reference, none of Stamkos, Mackinnon, Hall, Seguin, RNH, Gally, or Drouin even graced the top 10 at that age.

This isn't meant to be a "who would you draft" type of thread, as I personally hope the Panthers aren't in a position to draft either next season. However what do people think of the story? I love the idea of a kid saying, "you know what? I can beat him. Give me a chance to go show it, and let scouts compare Apples to Apples."
McDavid dubbed "Better than Crosby"

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 06:03 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post

@TSNBobMcKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Halifax and St.Johns are both in the Q, you can't trade between CHL leagues. The only way to switch leagues is if every team lets you go through waivers (I believe this occurred with Claude Giroux. No one in the OHL wanted him so he went to the Q).

I hate the politics of junior hockey sometimes, even though it often benefits the Hitmen since a lot of kids leave college to play in Calgary such as Adam Tambellini most recently and TJ Galiardi previously. Crosby really wanted to play for Halifax but eventually just played with Rimouski who drafted him. If Crosby will play with whoever drafts him I don't see why these other players think they are so special. IIRC this is the type of stuff Lindros pulled in junior so no I don't think it's a story of some kid wanting to show scouts he can beat the best, its a story of an elite prospect trying to get special treatment using his University as leverage to play where he wants in the CHL.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:35 PM
FrolikFan67

i don't like the next crosby, or best since crosby tag that mcdavid gets. crosby is the best player in the league and is on another level. i say mcdavid is the next tavares, or best since tavares. if he rivals crosby one day, that remains to be seen, but for now its too much to say for a prospect even though its mcdavid. he's gonna be a stud and eichel sounds incredible too. how awesome is it that we're actually hosting that draft?! so lucky

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 06:09 AM
luby3131

Unfortunately, there's a zero percent chance that Eichel would get waived through the Q, especially after the Matthew Peca situation a few years ago (look up the story if you never heard it). That being said, Eichel would absolutely tear up any league in the CHL. Very special player.

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

That's kind of pathetic by Eichel if you ask me. But he's still a magnificent talent.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 05:25 PM
FrolikFan67

itll be better for eichel to play college anyways imo. he'll be playing much older and bigger competition than in the chl, gives him a head start as far as facing competition like that before he gets drafted.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 11:00 PM
panthersfan94
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
That's kind of pathetic by Eichel if you ask me. But he's still a magnificent talent.
Why is wanting to play against the "best" to prove that you are better pathetic?

panthersfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan94 View Post
Why is wanting to play against the "best" to prove that you are better pathetic?
Because he wants the CHL to break it's rules just because he thinks he's special? Why should he be different from every other player in the CHL that has to abide by the same rules?

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:32 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Because he wants the CHL to break it's rules just because he thinks he's special? Why should he be different from every other player in the CHL that has to abide by the same rules?
i don't think its that way

i think he know how much money he can bring to the CHL and says he'll only play if he gets to OHL. otherwise, he'll stay in college or whatever

dont think its bad at all

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 12:52 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
i don't think its that way

i think he know how much money he can bring to the CHL and says he'll only play if he gets to OHL. otherwise, he'll stay in college or whatever

dont think its bad at all
The CHL has superstar prospects all the time, I don't see how Eichel can bring them all this extra money. If he wants to play in the CHL he can go to the Q and dominate and try to beat McDavid in the memorial cup if both teams can get there.

Old
03-09-2014, 12:55 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
i don't like the next crosby, or best since crosby tag that mcdavid gets. crosby is the best player in the league and is on another level. i say mcdavid is the next tavares, or best since tavares. if he rivals crosby one day, that remains to be seen, but for now its too much to say for a prospect even though its mcdavid. he's gonna be a stud and eichel sounds incredible too. how awesome is it that we're actually hosting that draft?! so lucky
I don't think he's Crosby level, but his game is closer style wise to Crosby than Tavares and I think that's where part of the comparison comes from. The Canadian media is always looking for the "next guy" and have hyped up Hall, Tavares, McKinnion, McDavid, etc to that level at times before their draft year, it's common.

Old
03-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Cats2TheCup

I've seen them play against each other and Eichel was better. Guy was everywhere and in the mix of everything.

When I found out he was as young as McDavid my jaw dropped.

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Rogie21

Quote:
Why assume that the rumored "whispers" that Eichel "might" want to play head-to-head vs. McDavid are coming from Eichel or anyone representing him? How do we know this isn't from an OHL GM looking to stir the pot and create some added interest in pushing a rivalry to boost attendance at possible "head-to-head" games? It wouldn't be the first time we've seen such tactics in pursuit of a player.

Eichel has played up numerous times the past few years. Last year with the U17s, he was brought up to the U18s for the World U18 tournament. This season he played in the WJCs as an under-ager and has faced college teams 12 times. So why play against 16-20 year olds next season in major junior when he could challenge himself in perhaps the best college league where most players are 19 to 23 or even 24? And do it close to home to boot.

Rogie21 is offline   Reply With Quote