HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

City to force asinine rollerhockey rules on homeschooled kids

Old
02-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
City to force asinine rollerhockey rules on homeschooled kids

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/e...i17hockey.html

This is so friggin stupid it astounds me.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Muttley*

I agree with the school.

I was shocked to find out that they would even allow non-students to qualify for public school teams.

So what this means is that in Escondido, home schooled & private school children take roster spots away from actual public school children???

Yes, I know these home school/private school parents pay taxes to support public schools, but I'ts like they want the best of both worlds: They DON'T want their kids to be educated by the public schools, yet they DO want their kids to enjoy part of the public school experience.

Which is it?

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:43 PM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
The league I play in allows up to 2 players from a private/home school to play for their home district. There is also a draft for teams to fill positional needs. I happen to go to a private school, and the last 2 seasons I played for my home district. This year I play for a different private school via draft. I think it's a pretty fair setup.

-- George.

QuadDeuces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:43 PM
crashlanding

I think we should look out for what's best for the kids. IMO, it would be playing for the local school's sports team. Anything to help these kids get out and interact with kids their age who live in their area is okay with me.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Wooty

every school has enough roller hockey players to make a team? Perhaps the home-schooled kids can fill on short teams.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:30 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
I think we should look out for what's best for the kids. IMO, it would be playing for the local school's sports team. Anything to help these kids get out and interact with kids their age who live in their area is okay with me.
Meh. The notion that homeschooled students are hermits is a broad generalization. I was homeschooled, and I was semi-social. I mean, I played hockey twice a week, not for my school either.

But yeah, let the kids play. The sport needs to grow, turning kids away from it is bad news.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:25 AM
NYYmt62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
Meh. The notion that homeschooled students are hermits is a broad generalization. I was homeschooled, and I was semi-social. I mean, I played hockey twice a week, not for my school either.

But yeah, let the kids play. The sport needs to grow, turning kids away from it is bad news.
I agree. I used to play with a kid who was home schooled and his parents would take him to the rink every day for "gym class." Which was the noontime skate session with the rink instructor. The sport needs all the players it can get, especially in the US.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:47 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan079 View Post
The league I play in allows up to 2 players from a private/home school to play for their home district. There is also a draft for teams to fill positional needs. I happen to go to a private school, and the last 2 seasons I played for my home district. This year I play for a different private school via draft. I think it's a pretty fair setup.

-- George.
There was a similar rule when I played high school roller hockey. My team had two private school kids, and I knew of at least three other schools that did the same.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:03 AM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post

I'm not calling them hermits. I'm just saying allowing them to take part in leagues on teams with their friends, friends whose houses they can walk/ride their bike to is not a bad thing.

Hell most kids in public school are "forced" to see their friends every day. Why not give homeschooled kids the same opportunity instead of busing them from all over the county to play for some private school/homeschool team that probably won't get off the ground.

It would force the parents to join together and finance the team themselves (coaching, rink time, jerseys, pucks, etc.) so I doubt these kids will be taking part.

Edit: Plus, I've met a lot of kids through playing hockey that I wouldn't have otherwise.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Gino 14

If the parents pay taxes to support the local school district, their kids should be allowed to play for the local team.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:42 AM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
I don't get how there is any justification to let a kid who goes to a private school play rollerhockey, or any sport for that matter, for another school. It just seems theoretically weird. The kids goes to one school but plays for another.

Now for the home schooled kids, just let them play. Here in montreal for public schools the city is divided up ito zones. If you live in a certain zone, there are only a certain number of PUBLIC schools they can go to. If that applies out in San Diego then let the home schooled kids only play for whichever team they want within those zones, or even moreso, just let the kid play on whichever team he wants. It's not as if there is a conflict of interest here, meaning a kid trying to make the team lose because of a rivalry of some sorts.

But if there is enough interest, keep the schools seperate. Or another idea, if there isn't enough interest, allow two schools in close proximity to form a team from the two schools alone. Atleast you keep the selection process somewhat limited. But again, kids who go to one school but play for another should not happen, unless its a coallition between two schools and two schools alone.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
I don't get how there is any justification to let a kid who goes to a private school play rollerhockey, or any sport for that matter, for another school. It just seems theoretically weird. The kids goes to one school but plays for another.

Now for the home schooled kids, just let them play. Here in montreal for public schools the city is divided up ito zones. If you live in a certain zone, there are only a certain number of PUBLIC schools they can go to. If that applies out in San Diego then let the home schooled kids only play for whichever team they want within those zones, or even moreso, just let the kid play on whichever team he wants. It's not as if there is a conflict of interest here, meaning a kid trying to make the team lose because of a rivalry of some sorts.

But if there is enough interest, keep the schools seperate. Or another idea, if there isn't enough interest, allow two schools in close proximity to form a team from the two schools alone. Atleast you keep the selection process somewhat limited. But again, kids who go to one school but play for another should not happen, unless its a coallition between two schools and two schools alone.
or have a draft for these home schooled kids.....

Old
02-19-2007, 11:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan079 View Post

-- George.
I like the idea of that, its a fair compromise for both sides. They say that it effects 7 out of 700 students in the league? I say let 1-2 home school players max per team, and limit it that way.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:29 PM
McNasty

Honestly a previous poster was right when they said that parents don't want their kids to be educated by public school but they want their kids to be able to play on their sports teams. If its only affecting 7 out of 700 no its not a big deal let the kids play.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
I'm not calling them hermits. I'm just saying allowing them to take part in leagues on teams with their friends, friends whose houses they can walk/ride their bike to is not a bad thing.

Hell most kids in public school are "forced" to see their friends every day. Why not give homeschooled kids the same opportunity instead of busing them from all over the county to play for some private school/homeschool team that probably won't get off the ground.

It would force the parents to join together and finance the team themselves (coaching, rink time, jerseys, pucks, etc.) so I doubt these kids will be taking part.

Edit: Plus, I've met a lot of kids through playing hockey that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Haha, yeah. We're on the same page, kinda stupid of me to make a comment like that. I'm all for whatever gets more kids into the game, turning them away is just stupid. If you really care about the sport, you're gonna do whatever you can to let kids play. I'm sure the kids who really want to play, are going to find a bantam rec. league to play in, but it's still kinda selfish for the school to tell them to look elsewhere.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote