HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mitch Holmberg

Old
02-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 500
I think it would be a nice addition to the Barons next year. They will have a very tough grinding team so adding some of Holmbergs skill and finishing ability would be perfect.

IMO, a good comparable is Devin Setoguchi from the Jets, good shot and finishing ability, lacks game breaking speed but can get around, he has decent hands. Flaws would be lack of intensity and lack of physicality.

Overall Holmberg is in the simplest of terms a "Finisher". I would like this signing.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Slats432

We've moved out some fringe guys. Worth a gamble?

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why hasn't anyone signed him to date? It's not like he just came out of nowhere this year.
They have to be drafted as 18 and 19 year olds. Now he can be signed without using a draft pick on him.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You know if you would've never said anything no one would've knew the relation.
It's not exactly a secret but I would understand if the general fan wasn't aware. I'm sure the hypothetical article announcing his signing would mention it anyway.

02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
belair

What's his comparison to Justin Feser or any other undersized Alberta natives who tore up the W in their overage year?

Feser led Tri City's scoring by 40 points last season only to go unsigned.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Lindo

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 5m
Spokane's Mitch Holmberg an undrafted 20 year-old from Sherwood Park, has scored a hat-trick for the 2nd consecutive game. Now has 57 G

Hmmmm....

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Spokane's Mitch Holmberg an undrafted 20 year-old from Sherwood Park, has scored a hat-trick for the 2nd consecutive game. Now has 57 G

Hmmmm....
The next Gretzky

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 11:46 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post

Hmmmm....
We really need to sign him...

02-23-2014, 11:53 PM
HeavyHitter99

Low risk, high reward imo

HeavyHitter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 11:57 PM
ChaoticOrange

He's going to get signed by somebody at this point. Hopefully it's us. There isn't much to get excited about on the farm as far as forwards go right now (aside from Lander having a good season, but I have him slotted in as 4C on the Oilers next year)

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:37 AM
ChaoticOrange

Bit of an update..

The Oilers are currently sitting at 45 contracts (I believe?) after the TDL, with plenty more coming off the books this summer.

Holmberg is currently sitting at 57 G 52 A - 109pts.

He is leading his team in goals, assists, points, +/-, PPG, and SHG, and the next closest guy on his team is 36 points behind.

He is turning 21 in a couple days, so in a very real sense it is men against boys, but I fail to see the risk in giving this kid a shot, especially with the contracts of guys like Eager and Macintyre expiring. Table him a 2 year 2-way offer and see what he's got in OKC.

For an offensively built team the Oilers sure don't score a lot. Who cares if he's small - lots of offensively gifted players aren't huge.

He's crushing the WHL scoring race. You can bet someone will take a flyer on him - why not us?

Last edited by ChaoticOrange: 03-08-2014 at 01:39 AM. Reason: edit - when I say 'scoring race' I mean goals. Next person back is 11g behind.
ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 02:02 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Bit of an update..

The Oilers are currently sitting at 45 contracts (I believe?) after the TDL, with plenty more coming off the books this summer.

He is leading his team in goals, assists, points, +/-, PPG, and SHG, and the next closest guy on his team is 36 points behind.

He is turning 21 in a couple days, so in a very real sense it is men against boys, but I fail to see the risk in giving this kid a shot, especially with the contracts of guys like Eager and Macintyre expiring. Table him a 2 year 2-way offer and see what he's got in OKC.

For an offensively built team the Oilers sure don't score a lot. Who cares if he's small - lots of offensively gifted players aren't huge.

He's crushing the WHL scoring race. You can bet someone will take a flyer on him - why not us?
Every year there is someone that slips through the cracks and I think he may not be the only one the Oilers are looking at. The team has signed overlooked free agents before so I imagine they will again.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Bit of an update..

Agreed. In my opinion, there is a zero risk factor. The only thing that can happen is.. increase the percentages of developing an NHL hockey player. The Oilers will have lots of roster space as you mentioned, so it makes a ton of sense.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:07 AM
LTIR

Seems like a lesser version of Jordan Weal ..

Still worth a signing since we own an AHL and an ECHL team.. We need skill in minors.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 17m

Sherwood Park's Mitch Holmberg snipes hat-trick in an 8-0 win for Spokane over PG. Holmberg now has 60 goals on the season
Kid is crushing it.

I don't really care that he is undersized. Nobody is even close to his goal scoring totals in the WHL.

His putting up +1 draft year Eberle numbers. This kid deserves a serious look, and there will obviously be more than 1 team looking at him.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 01:51 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

vCash: 50
What is really impressive about his season is that he is 36 points ahead of his next teammate.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 06:39 AM
Bergeron47

Hopefully he doesn't realize how horribly ineffective this organization is at developing prospects.
I'd sign him and loan him to an AHL team that can develop him.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Bit of an update..

sure, but how many of those small guys are surrounded by other, gifted small guys? the problem with the Oilers is that they are all small. put any one of them on Boston or LA and they would be fine, but as a group they belong in the Swiss league.

I'll take a pass.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:35 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Hopefully he doesn't realize how horribly ineffective this organization is at developing prospects.
I'd sign him and loan him to an AHL team that can develop him.
Id don't even mind what they are doing down there in OKC. Nelson runs a great team, and turned college free agent Arcobello into a PPG (2 PPG this season) AHL player and average NHL player

He turned lost hope prospect in Rajala into a PPG AHL player. Omark tore it up. Lander is PPG. Even Pitlick is doing well under him

The problem isn't the AHL development, it seems like a great place for small scorers to develop.

The problem is when they come to the Oilers they are stuck on the 4th line with horrible linemates and aren't sent down when they should be (MPS & Lander 2 seasons ago)

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Id don't even mind what they are doing down there in OKC. Nelson runs a great team, and turned college free agent Arcobello into a PPG (2 PPG this season) AHL player and average NHL player

He turned lost hope prospect in Rajala into a PPG AHL player. Omark tore it up. Lander is PPG. Even Pitlick is doing well under him

The problem isn't the AHL development, it seems like a great place for small scorers to develop.

The problem is when they come to the Oilers they are stuck on the 4th line with horrible linemates and aren't sent down when they should be (MPS & Lander 2 seasons ago)
Can't even argue that they are getting loads of points but are defensively inadequate, Arco was a very good two-way player in the nhl.

Too bad Nelson never played a game with boys on the bus, he has reached the pinnacle of his Oilers career. The best that he can do now is get a job working for the Red Wings lol.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 03:49 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Can't even argue that they are getting loads of points but are defensively inadequate, Arco was a very good two-way player in the nhl.

Too bad Nelson never played a game with boys on the bus, he has reached the pinnacle of his Oilers career. The best that he can do now is get a job working for the Red Wings lol.
Nelson is a great coach, however when Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz were down in the AHL tearing it up, the Barons were an average team. They only really took off once the NHL started. Not sure if that's more on the big 4, or Nelson.

Old
03-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I know this guy's small, but you'd think he'd be worth a gamble by an NHL squad. I don't see why not. Petan is actually smaller and he signed with Winnipeg.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
the problem with the Oilers is that they are all small.
You think that's the problem?

Where's Paukovich when you need him?

Back on Earth, this would be a perfectly fine no-risk signing. Holmberg probably has his pick of teams though.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:33 PM
frag2

With the plugging Stauffer does for this guy, you'd think the Oilers would've signed him by now...

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:55 PM
topchowda

Can anyone whos watched the WHL tell me the difference between Tyler Johnston and Mitch Holmberg

Johnston
Jr 2: 62 games 61 points
Jr 3: 64 games 71 points
Jr 4: 71 games 115 points

5'9 185

Holmberg
Jr 3: 66 games 55 points
Jr 4: 66 games 88 points
Jr 5: 68 games 113 points, including 60 goals (projected 117 points over 71 games)

5'10 165 (although might not be updated)

Tyler Johnston is doing good in the NHL.

Is their a big difference in playing style?