HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick length & at-home shooting vs. on-ice

Old
03-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Buckst3r

vCash: 500
Stick length & at-home shooting vs. on-ice

I'm new to playing hockey and have a question regarding stick length.

I'm 5'7" 165 lbs. and prefer my stick to be at the bottom of my chin, approximately 52-53 inches.

If I'm shooting at home with a shooting pad (obviously without skates on), will this be a dramatic difference from how my shot will feel on the ice a few inches taller with skates on? Thanks beforehand for any advice anyone has to offer.

Last edited by Buckst3r: 03-09-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Buckst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Pacifist Goon

That ought to be easy enough. Buy another stick that's up to your nose in bare feet or shoes and use that to practice.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Buckst3r

Oh okay. So pretty much up to nose on dry land, up to nose on ice. Thanks!

Old
03-08-2014, 05:13 PM
AIREAYE

'Dramatic' is relative, it depends on how good your technique is, how adaptable you are and how picky you are. Given the height difference though, I would say that you will likely notice the difference. Whether or not that will end up hindering you as you transition, no one can say for sure.

If you want to try and match the height difference, you could do a few things:

- cut the stick to your length preference when you are on dryland, buy a wooden/comp extension and put it in (heat gun ofc) everytime you go play ice
- construct or use some sort of booster platform that mimics skate height
- buy a new stick

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Onetimersniper28

The only difference I see between shooting in bare feet and on skates is the lie of the stick. Because of that, when I shoot at home, I tend to be a bit more upright. When I'm on the ice, I bend my knees a bit more . It helps if you have a dual lie curve like the P14/E28/E3/E36.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
The only difference I see between shooting in bare feet and on skates is the lie of the stick. Because of that, when I shoot at home, I tend to be a bit more upright. When I'm on the ice, I bend my knees a bit more . It helps if you have a dual lie curve like the P14/E28/E3/E36.
There's no such thing as a mechanical 'dual lie'. It's called a rocker. Easton has resorted to marketing a rocker.

Old
03-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
There's no such thing as a mechanical 'dual lie'. It's called a rocker. Easton has resorted to marketing a rocker.
I just used the same word as Easton to make things simple.

Old
03-08-2014, 09:05 PM
silkyjohnson50

Yeah I have a stick that I cut down for use at home for stickhandling and shooting. Otherwise my normal stick length feels way too long when I'm in bare feet or shoes.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:20 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I just used the same word as Easton to make things simple.
Yeah I know. It's the dumbest thing lol and I don't mean you.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:17 PM
hyster110

what i did for a on feet practice/ball hockey stick was take a stick and cut off the height of my skate holders (plus blade length) it ended up being about a 3 inch difference

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Buckst3r

I appreciate the replies guys. As I mentioned I'm 5'7" and on bare feet, a 52" stick was perfect while shooting at home but my composite sticks I use on ice were all 60-61" and it was a significant difference. That being said, I went and bought a saw & mitre box to cut off 5" (the measured distance of difference with skates on) on my composites.

Old
03-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckst3r View Post
I appreciate the replies guys. As I mentioned I'm 5'7" and on bare feet, a 52" stick was perfect while shooting at home but my composite sticks I use on ice were all 60-61" and it was a significant difference. That being said, I went and bought a saw & mitre box to cut off 5" (the measured distance of difference with skates on) on my composites.
Be careful ! You don't want to end up with a 120 flex stick.

Old
03-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I normally use the same length but I seem to feel like the stick is too short once I get on the ice, so I may use a shorter backup at home.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:01 PM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
I stand on a 2" piece of styrofoam.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 12:29 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
Be careful ! You don't want to end up with a 120 flex stick.
And there in lies the problem. Depending on how picky you are you may have to change the flex too!

Unless you are beastly strong, you may want to try a friends intermediate stick. They start out at ~65 flex and ~56-58" in length. Cutting it to 52" will still put you up into the high 70's or low 80's.

I am 5'10", a beginner and use a 70 flex intermediate cut down to ~75 flex and my wrist shots are way faster than when I use a stick I have a hard time flexing.

No matter what, just practice, practice, practice and make sure your stick is a reasonable length. The correct equipment helps a lot but nothing makes up for hardwork.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Thesensation19

AWESOME TOPIC.

I would suggest that you mimic the height of your stick and elevation you are off the ground from when you are on ice to when you at home. Last year I changed my game to mimic more like Crosby. Try to get lower, so I cut my stick shorter. It really changed my game positivel I feel.

However recently I felt sooo awkward on the ice and its simply because at home i was doing a bit of stick handling w the same size stick but on my sneakers.

So off. Blades get me up to 2 inches off the ground, and I use a small stick. You take away those 2 inches and its a differ feel on ice

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:29 PM
silkyjohnson50

Yeah I also attempted to use a shorter stick that I use for stickhandling/shooting at home in an actual game and it was a nightmare. I gave it a go because many on here advocate a very short stick, but i felt so off balance that I felt like I was playing intoxicated. My puck handling and control is one of my strengths as a player, but the "shorter equates to better control" concept doesn't work for me. I need some length and range.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Yeah I also attempted to use a shorter stick that I use for stickhandling/shooting at home in an actual game and it was a nightmare. I gave it a go because many on here advocate a very short stick, but i felt so off balance that I felt like I was playing intoxicated. My puck handling and control is one of my strengths as a player, but the "shorter equates to better control" concept doesn't work for me. I need some length and range.
There's a sweet spot for the length of your stick. If it's too short, you won't be able to pull "great moves" (doing a toe drag from one side to the other side of the defenseman's body). If it's too long, it will slow your hands down. For me, my sweet spot for stickhandling is right under my nose.

Old
03-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Buckst3r

I fixed this by always wearing inline skates while practicing in the basement so the stick sizes and distance to the puck/ice is the same.

Old
03-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Mattio

Or you can buy some Skaboots for $30 (hockey monkey). They are attachments that you put on your skates so you can walk around in them inside or outside

Mattio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:17 AM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattio View Post
Or you can buy some Skaboots for $30 (hockey monkey). They are attachments that you put on your skates so you can walk around in them inside or outside
I just picked these up, and it worked well. My son and I have been messing with them, and so far so good

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 06:46 AM
Guffaw

IMO it's better to elevate yourself and use the same length stick for off ice work vs. cutting down a stick/bare feet. It more closely resembles what happens on the ice. Same height off the ground/same length stick = more effective practice.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those Skaboots look interesting. Would be pretty sweet for outdoor shinny aside from looking funky and driving.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 08:54 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

i'm also 5'7".
cut my stick to my mouth on shoes.
i prefer a short stick. what evz

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote