HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal - Fedor Tyutin

Old
02-18-2007, 03:18 PM
NYROrtsFan

vCash: 500
Would be interesting if they would ever give him some legit powerplay time with one of the units.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:21 PM
in the hall

just curious why you guys are making that comment about Sanguinetti? have you guys seen him or read anything recently?

i ask because i remember those comments being refuted a while ago by people saying they are way overstated and exagerated as far as how bad he is on the defensive side

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Levitate

I think it's mainly just that it was felt Sanguinetti needed several years to be ready, and that he had a lot of physical maturing to do.

He has skills, but has development ahead of him in order to make the most of those skills. Going to Hartford to at least practice with the team and watch the games might be good for him though.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:12 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Three
four, We need someone to shut down Crosby

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Three
Four. Way better would be even.....better.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:28 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
It all depends on your expectations. If the thinking was that Toot is definetly a top-pairing defenseman, you may be disappointed. Me, I would be quite happy with a 2nd pairing defenseman, and as such, am not disappointed in his development. The scary comparisons to Malakhov are still there though and that does not make me happy.
The thing that separates him from Malakhov is that Toots plays with far more intensity. Malakhov always seemed to float, not putting forth 100% effort until he got riled up, which was seldom. Toots has really settled down and is playing a far more similar and effective game. He has been by far our best dman this year.

The hope is that what we have seen this year is the level of play he will display going forward. The pro game is always about playing your A game all the time. I think he is doing that. I never saw him as an offensive powerhouse so I am not the least bit disappointed.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:31 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
just curious why you guys are making that comment about Sanguinetti? have you guys seen him or read anything recently?

i ask because i remember those comments being refuted a while ago by people saying they are way overstated and exagerated as far as how bad he is on the defensive side
From the little I have seen of him, I still think he does not engage people enough. That does not mean running people through the glass or end boards, it mean gaining and maintaining position on people. Rozy does that. he's not overly physical but he compensates by trying to get and maintaining position on people. If Bobby S starts to do that on a consistant basis I think his game in his own end of the ice will improve.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Tyutin has been great this year, very solid!

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:25 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
The thing that separates him from Malakhov is that Toots plays with far more intensity.
That's one thing. Another is that Malakhov was FAR more offensively gifted.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:08 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Tyutin has developed very nicely. Very impressed with his play this year.

On this team hes a top pairing defensmen.

On a very good team he a second pairing guy.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Pizza

The big difference between Malakov and Tyutin is that with Tyutin I feel you have a player that will reach his potential. He has a ways to go but he's made improvements every year.

I'm hoping a more developed Tyutin along with guys like Girardi, Staal and Sauer can help keep my heart where it belongs instead of in my throat all the time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Ola

Quote:
It all depends on your expectations. If the thinking was that Toot is definetly a top-pairing defenseman, you may be disappointed. Me, I would be quite happy with a 2nd pairing defenseman, and as such, am not disappointed in his development. The scary comparisons to Malakhov are still there though and that does not make me happy.
Good point. Imagine what Tyutin would be worth on the trademarket right now, you can never have to many players like him.

To be honest, I at times wonder if D's like Tyutin are overrated in this league, maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure we could get a player like Zherdev for him in notime. At the same time, look at what we got for 3m*3y, Aaron Ward.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Fletch

Atlanta..

both Toots and Malakhov have played with intensity. Malakhov had some decent seasons. Toots has still be inconcistent in the intensity area; I don't think it's been there of late, although considering his role seems to have been reduced somewhat, maybe that's the reason. Jury's stilll out...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Levitate

I think Tyutin's been pretty consistant at least the later 3/4 of this season so far...sure he's gonna have some off games, every player in the league has those, but his play in general has been very solid. Really the only thing missing is better decision making in the offensive zone.

I also think that he'd be a legit top pairing defenseman, if he was paired with a legit #1.

Most teams don't have two legit #1 defensemen (if they even have one), so pairing a good, solid defenseman up with that #1 on the first pairing seems pretty common to me.

Maybe it seems like I'm overrating him, but I kind of feel that in some ways Tyutin gets underrated because he's not putting up lots of points.

Old
02-19-2007, 05:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Tyutin = very good

Tyutin + Mean Streak = awesome
We said the same thing about Matty Norstrom.

02-19-2007, 06:09 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
We said the same thing about Matty Norstrom.
If Tyutin = Norstrom we're in good shape

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Fletch

If Toots is.//

3/4 Norstrom, we still may not be too bad...

Old
02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
dank

I was not very well versed with the Rangers much before this besides for 1994 (i was 10). What do you mean by Matty Norstrom? He didn't pan out?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Fletch

He was traded...

when it seemed as though he was going to be a good player...and it was a franchise-changing move as it took a couple young guys (Lapperriere and Norstrom) out of the organization and for years we talked about how the team was missing exactly what those two players brought, and each had decent careers elsewhere, one as a third liner and the other as a consistent top pair defenseman.

Old
02-19-2007, 06:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I was not very well versed with the Rangers much before this besides for 1994 (i was 10). What do you mean by Matty Norstrom? He didn't pan out?
He certainly did pan out.

The thought was that the game was there. But the Rangers were really looking for him to develop that mean-streak. And he did with the Kings.

Lets see Tyuts do the same thing.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 08:22 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I agree that asking for Sanguinetti right now is a little much. But I still believe Staal should be brought up to the big club after the junior season is over. Give him a chance.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
In The Flesh

You got to give Staal a look, just like they're doing with Girardi, and see what happens.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:05 AM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
i have been EXTREMELY impressed with Girardi's play. The kid is solid.

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
You got to give Staal a look, just like they're doing with Girardi, and see what happens.
Not if the Rangers are in playoff contention and fighting for a spot. You don't just throw a junior player into the lineup to "see what happens" that late in the season with the playoffs on the line.

Folly.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
The thing that separates him from Malakhov is that Toots plays with far more intensity. Malakhov always seemed to float, not putting forth 100% effort until he got riled up, which was seldom. Toots has really settled down and is playing a far more similar and effective game. He has been by far our best dman this year.

The hope is that what we have seen this year is the level of play he will display going forward. The pro game is always about playing your A game all the time. I think he is doing that. I never saw him as an offensive powerhouse so I am not the least bit disappointed.
Yeah, Malakhov were extremely talented, in his mid 20's he had Thomas Kaberles skill level and were also really really strong. But he were of the old Soviet School. The NHL are allot closer to Europe these days, and more importantly Europe is allot closer to the NHL too. There can be games with a ton of hitting in the RSL these days, something you never saw 15-20 years ago.

Tyutin have pretty much played the same style of hockey as the ordinary Joe from Canada growing up, while guys like Malakhov and Val Kamensky never had that opertunity before they were well into their 20's. They came from basically playing a diffrent game to the NHL.

I think Malakhovs skill level on a blueline in his prime could be compared to what a Ilya Kovalchuk brings upfront today, Malakhov probably were the most talented D in the league some seasons, but he never had the intensity/attitude or whatever to take advantage of it enough to become a franchise player.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote