HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Angelo Esposito talking about the Habs

Old
02-19-2007, 07:15 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
he hasn't regressed. People expected him to put the same kind of numbers on the board Crosby did. He's just a different kind of player. He'll remind you a lot of Joe Sakic.
You're joking, right? He reminds you of JOE SAKIC?

He's not regressing. No one ever claimed that, either. The fact is that he hasn't improved nearly as much as the talent around him. He's a year older and is hardly better than last year. That's scary to teams. A guy who's stalled his development for a year from 17-18 is NOT a good thing.

He's going to have scored about 20 FEWER points than he did last year at the same time unless he makes up 20 points in 4 games.

He could potentially drop out of the top 10. Guys like Kane, Turris, JVR, etc. have all passed him by and left him in the dust.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
The Bruins stole Kessel last draft because "his stock fell". If we can do the same with Esposito, good for us!
What is it with you guys and using the word 'stealing' all the time? Kessel was a top 10 pick, paid cash-money straight up! No steal! Besides, any time a guy named Staal goes ahead of you, you weren't stolen.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
You're joking, right? He reminds you of JOE SAKIC?

He's not regressing. No one ever claimed that, either. The fact is that he hasn't improved nearly as much as the talent around him. He's a year older and is hardly better than last year. That's scary to teams. A guy who's stalled his development for a year from 17-18 is NOT a good thing.

He's going to have scored about 20 FEWER points than he did last year at the same time unless he makes up 20 points in 4 games.

He could potentially drop out of the top 10. Guys like Kane, Turris, JVR, etc. have all passed him by and left him in the dust.
his injury didn't help and there's a difference between having a not so good year and not improving. Last year his numbers were inflated a bit by the fact he played with the best CHL player.

When Sakic came out of the CHL he wasn't rated in the top 5 and there were a lot of question marks as well. To me, he's a much better NHL prospect than Gagner and a bunch of other guys who are supposedly going by him.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:24 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
his injury didn't help and there's a difference between having a not so good year and not improving. Last year his numbers were inflated a bit by the fact he played with the best CHL player.

When Sakic came out of the CHL he wasn't rated in the top 5 and there were a lot of question marks as well. To me, he's a much better NHL prospect than Gagner and a bunch of other guys who are supposedly going by him.
I'm sorry, but he's nothing like Sakic. To even mention him and Sakic in the same post is DISRESPECTFUL to Sakic, one of the greatest players of all-time.

Espo's development has pretty much halted right now. He's just simply not as good as billed.

Old
02-19-2007, 07:27 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm sorry, but he's nothing like Sakic. To even mention him and Sakic in the same post is DISRESPECTFUL to Sakic, one of the greatest players of all-time.

Espo's development has pretty much halted right now. He's just simply not as good as billed.
Well, you're exaggerating a bit, because Sakic isn't one of the best players of all time, but I agree that any comparison to a HHOF-bound player isn't fair.

If the comparison was of their junior/entry draft status, then fine, but you can't compare a prospect to a 35 year old hall of fame player.

02-19-2007, 07:28 PM
le_sean

Quote:

You're right, he is not anywhere near Sakic as Joe is one of the greatest leaders this game has ever seen. Teams will find it hard to pass up on Angelo's skill though. There is just so much potential oozing from him. But I'm sure as a Rangers fan you wouldn't mind him in your system lol. I know I would love it. I guess it's all relative right, he isn't the top-3 he was billed before, but in the 10-15 area you can't really go wrong.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:31 PM
LamborGREENie

Even though I hope all my heart that Esposito become a Hab, I know they won't be able to draft him because they're to good

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:32 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
He's still 17 isn't he? too early to call him bust.
He's still 17 isn't he? too early to call him success.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Mathletic

Quote:

I'm just talking about the style of player he is. People compared Crosby to Gretzky before he even played Junior, so saying Esposito will remind you of Sakic isn't the end of the world.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'm just talking about the style of player he is. People compared Crosby to Gretzky before he even played Junior, so saying Esposito will remind you of Sakic isn't the end of the world.
What reminds you of Sakic in Espo? To me he plays nothing like him. I have only seen him a little here and there so others will have a better opinion of him but I've never thought Sakic when I've seen him play.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Esposito is the second coming of Mike Ribeiro.
Oh man...that's just mean....

02-19-2007, 08:21 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
There are plenty of players who intrigue me in the top rounds, realistically, Esposito will be gone.. I'm looking at Turris, Mayorov etc.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
LePoche69

I didn't saw him a lot, but he reminds me of Daigle in his Junior years. And honnestly, like for Daigle, I'm not sure how his game will translate in the NHL. I'm not impress right now, but who knows how a teenager will developp? Skills are there, tho.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Esposito is the second coming of Mike Ribeiro.
Having seen him play a lot (I live in Quebec city), I don't see how he looks like Ribeiro. He's a totally different player. Esposito is really really faster. He has good hands, good vision, good passing skills, works hard, and has a good shot. I would love to see the habs drafting him but I really don't know about his NHL future. I mean, he's a good player, has good skills, but nothing "elite" except his speed and he is also soft. I would not be surprised to see him falling to 10-15th pick.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What reminds you of Sakic in Espo? To me he plays nothing like him. I have only seen him a little here and there so others will have a better opinion of him but I've never thought Sakic when I've seen him play.
I see a good passer. Not really big, doesn't hit much but they're not afraid to play in traffic in order to get their points. Great leader, Esposito is intelligent and well-articulated.

I went to see the Remparts 9 times this year, and more last year and right now Esposito is a better player than he was last year. Like I said, he might not be having a career year, but he's still really good. Sort of like Higgins this year with the Canadiens. His points don't show the kind of player he is. Injuries didn't help so you get a disapoiting season stats wise. But if you care more on the how rather than results, I don't think Esposito has disapointed a bit.

Sometimes people just over-analyze players. Kind of like what happened with Kopitar. The guy doesn't have a great season or WJC, so he falls in the draft and ends up one of the best of his class.

Same thing happens in other sports. This year in football with Brady Quinn or in the previous years with Marino and such. It happens to have a bad season or under-performing stats wise.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:43 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I didn't saw him a lot, but he reminds me of Daigle in his Junior years. And honnestly, like for Daigle, I'm not sure how his game will translate in the NHL. I'm not impress right now, but who knows how a teenager will developp? Skills are there, tho.
The problem is, though, is that he isn't even half as skilled as Daigle was at the same age.

All I've seen are excuses for his poor play this year. Injuries. Lesser linemates. Whatever else people can think of. The fact remains that it's his draft year and he's going to miss his point totals of last year by 20 or so points. That is just dreadful and will cause him to PLUMMET. Stats aren't everything, but this guy should be producing more than he has been if he wants to be a top 10 pick.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
The problem is, though, is that he isn't even half as skilled as Daigle was at the same age.

All I've seen are excuses for his poor play this year. Injuries. Lesser linemates. Whatever else people can think of. The fact remains that it's his draft year and he's going to miss his point totals of last year by 20 or so points. That is just dreadful and will cause him to PLUMMET. Stats aren't everything, but this guy should be producing more than he has been if he wants to be a top 10 pick.
fair enough, that costs him a few spots at the draft. IMO he's still a great prospect and very likely better than players who'll get drafted ahead of him.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I see a good passer. Not really big, doesn't hit much but they're not afraid to play in traffic in order to get their points. Great leader, Esposito is intelligent and well-articulated.

I went to see the Remparts 9 times this year, and more last year and right now Esposito is a better player than he was last year. Like I said, he might not be having a career year, but he's still really good. Sort of like Higgins this year with the Canadiens. His points don't show the kind of player he is. Injuries didn't help so you get a disapoiting season stats wise. But if you care more on the how rather than results, I don't think Esposito has disapointed a bit.

Sometimes people just over-analyze players. Kind of like what happened with Kopitar. The guy doesn't have a great season or WJC, so he falls in the draft and ends up one of the best of his class.

Same thing happens in other sports. This year in football with Brady Quinn or in the previous years with Marino and such. It happens to have a bad season or under-performing stats wise.

What striked me as odd when comparing Sakic and Espo, is that they don't play anything a like. Sakic has one of the best wrist shots I've seen in my life and I've seen Espo as more of a setup guy. To me his playmaking ability reminds me more of Ribeiro or Locke then Sakic. I'm just interested cause I haven't seen much of Espo and wanted to understand what you saw to come up with that cause I was thinking you likely saw him a lot more then me.

Personally I had us drafting around 20th this year, so hopefully that's the case if not higher! If we end up around 20th it will be interesting to see who's on board. Personally I think it's a good draft for defensemen, but we'll see how things shape up as we get closer to the draft.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
What striked me as odd when comparing Sakic and Espo, is that they don't play anything a like. Sakic has one of the best wrist shots I've seen in my life and I've seen Espo as more of a setup guy. To me his playmaking ability reminds me more of Ribeiro or Locke then Sakic. I'm just interested cause I haven't seen much of Espo and wanted to understand what you saw to come up with that cause I was thinking you likely saw him a lot more then me.

Personally I had us drafting around 20th this year, so hopefully that's the case if not higher! If we end up around 20th it will be interesting to see who's on board. Personally I think it's a good draft for defensemen, but we'll see how things shape up as we get closer to the draft.
Esposito probably doesn't have the same kind of wrist shot. But he has that deceiving shot that surprises a lot of goalies. He's good at finding lanes in order to get good a good screens also. Like you said he's more of a playmaker but he'll get his share of goals.

To me he's not in the Ribeiro/Locke category. He skates really well and he'll go to the net and gets a lot of 2 on 1s because of his defensive play.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
fair enough, that costs him a few spots at the draft. IMO he's still a great prospect and very likely better than players who'll get drafted ahead of him.
No offense, but how many of the "players who'll get drafted ahead of him" have you even seen to make this argument?

You honestly think Espo will be better than guys like Kane, Turris, Cherapanov, JVR, etc etc.?

I mean, yes in 20 years we might look back and wonder why no one took Espo #1 overall, but this happens all the time.

The guy has shown ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that warrants him a selection higher than the aforementioned players.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Esposito probably doesn't have the same kind of wrist shot. But he has that deceiving shot that surprises a lot of goalies. He's good at finding lanes in order to get good a good screens also. Like you said he's more of a playmaker but he'll get his share of goals.

To me he's not in the Ribeiro/Locke category. He skates really well and he'll go to the net and gets a lot of 2 on 1s because of his defensive play.
I meant Ribeiro/Locke in terms of his passing/playmaking. I guess I haven't seen enough of his shot but he has struck me as a really skilled passer which is what I saw from Ribs and Locke in juniors.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
No offense, but how many of the "players who'll get drafted ahead of him" have you even seen to make this argument?

You honestly think Espo will be better than guys like Kane, Turris, Cherapanov, JVR, etc etc.?

I mean, yes in 20 years we might look back and wonder why no one took Espo #1 overall, but this happens all the time.

The guy has shown ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that warrants him a selection higher than the aforementioned players.
I've seen players who were at the Junior game in Quebec. How much does only 1 game live mean, I don't know. I've seen Kane and Gagner when they were on tv, Cherepanov at the WJC. Now I'm not saying it's a mistake to pick a guy like Cherepanov or Kane ahead of him. But to me there's no reason he falls out of the top 10. From what I've seen of Gagner and a few others, none of them showed me they were way ahead of Esposito.

In fact at the Junior game Esposito was one of the best forwards on his team. Yet he's having an off year so.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
I meant Ribeiro/Locke in terms of his passing/playmaking. I guess I haven't seen enough of his shot but he has struck me as a really skilled passer which is what I saw from Ribs and Locke in juniors.
I think he's different in that he's not a fancy player a la Ribeiro who waits and waits to let the play develop. Esposito goes ahead and makes things happen.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I think he's different in that he's not a fancy player a la Ribeiro who waits and waits to let the play develop. Esposito goes ahead and makes things happen.
I think that's cause Ribs/Locke had to slow the play down due to their poor skating and lack of foot speed, they were able to do so and make it look easy (and I'm talking juniors only since it's not fair to compare them at their advanced stages of development) Espo seems to be a better skater with more speed without a doubt when compared to the others, but all 3 to me seem to have that ability to find the open and to get the puck to them. I personally don't think Espo is as good as Ribeiro was in juniors, but I'd have to leave that to others that saw them a lot more then me. I know Ribs is hated and all but what a producer he was in juniors. Then again it's a different QMJHL then when he play 9-10 years ago

Old
02-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I guess you've never seen him play. He has drive, he has lots of speed, better vision. At 18 Angelo probably has more offensive skill than anyone on the Habs right now other than Kovalev.
Kovalev is very overrated. Just cuz the guy can dipsy doodle through guys doesn't mean ****. Kovy doesn't have any vision, any creativity...that's why he doesn't have the impact he once had (when he drove the net). He's always relied on his hands to do the work, he's got a horrible hockey mind.

I'm not sure if Esposito will be the next Mike Ribeiro, but it's too early to tell. No one could've thought that Mike would turn out as average as he has. I also don't think that Esposito has better vision than Ribs...they're quite even. The difference is that Angelo can skate. His drive doesn't seem *that* great though, he seems to slack off at times.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote