HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Possible to play in adult league with only being able to stop one way?

Old
02-26-2014, 05:50 PM
SillyMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel View Post
A fun game to play to practice stopping is to see how high you can get the ice to spray on the boards. When you can finally get really low you'll be able to hit the glass from within a few feet because you're digging in so well.
It's also good for blinding goalies... (sorry goalies)
Used to play that game with my friends as a kid.....
"any lower you're going down!"

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Danglous

You can. At some point you will be forced to stop the other way without even thinking about it and you'll be like, "Hey, this isnt so hard."

Thats what happened with me anyway.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:13 PM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
I've played against a guy who only plays with one arm...quit sittin on the fence and go out and play.
Shorthanded?

I feel bad now.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:18 PM
10coach*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Stopping is a luxury, not a necessity. Same as backwards skating. After a few games I may get rusty on my left skate edges, and backwards transitions, just because I almost never use them as a right winger. I try to practice during warm up a bit, and work on it over the offseason. Then it all regresses over the winter again lol.
I'm assuming you play in the lowest league?

10coach* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:21 PM
10coach*

Stops and starts are extremely important.

10coach* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:25 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I started out being able to stop on my right side only, thus limiting a lot of angles for shooting, passing and catching passes.

I can now stop with my left foot, but not a full left side hockey stop.

That really opened up a lot of options for me, but it's still limiting my ability to pivot left and going into the boards with speed at certain angles.

It won't matter as much against beginners, but once you get to intermediate level of play (5 years+ of experience, ex low-mid level pee-wee/junior players), stopping on both sides become an important skill to have.

It's an absolute necessity in advanced level of play. To get to the puck faster, sometimes you're forced to take certain paths, and stopping on the wrong side is putting you at a disadvantage in puck battles. That extra 0.5 second of turning your body slightly to face the puck or using your backhand instead of the forehand is the difference between a puck battle won or lost. The margin for mistake in advanced level of play is small.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 08:01 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
Stops and starts are extremely important.
Especially for the other players on the ice. Nobody likes to have you bash into them because you can't stop.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Canadiens1958

Summary

An artist may draw or paint using one shade. Some artists are quite good doing so.

Still the OP raises a question about the length and quality of the remaing hockey playing time.

You go on the ice to play hockey, not to bump into other players accidently, contact the boards for not reason, etc.

Work on the deficient skills and everyone will enjoy the experience more.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:56 AM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Stopping is a luxury, not a necessity. Same as backwards skating. After a few games I may get rusty on my left skate edges, and backwards transitions, just because I almost never use them as a right winger. I try to practice during warm up a bit, and work on it over the offseason. Then it all regresses over the winter again lol.
Terrible terrible advice. what do you mean you don't do transitions? How do you even play without transitions. howdo you get a pass on the wing with turning your back foot in so you can stay square to the play.

if you don't Transition you don't make plays. simple as that.

that and you probably don't backcheck lol

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 09:22 PM
JaeTM

Absolutely you can. You said you haven't played in 10+ years so it's not like your jumping into some super competitive league (I don't think).

I played Varsity hockey without learning how to stop on my right side. I played roller for so long before ice, that stopping was a bit more difficult for me to learn because of how different stopping is in roller and ice. Then I never really learned when I played JV and Varsity because I didn't want to embarrass myself by not knowing how to stop at age 17. I could definitely play, I've been playing since I've been like 5 or 6. I just couldn't stop on the right side. I was limited in some games and you have to think about stopping sometimes because you're stopping on the wrong side by putting yourself in a bad/awkward position, but you technically still can get away with it.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Especially for the other players on the ice. Nobody likes to have you bash into them because you can't stop.
This is key. Nothing worse than having some idiot ram your knee because he has no idea how to stop. I could care less how you skate but if you injure me because you're too damn lazy to learn the basics, we're gonna have a problem.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:25 AM
theMajor

vCash: 50
i just started two years ago and for my first full season i could one stop on one side. one of my best friends has been skating for 6 years and still can only stop on one side

if anything, joining a league will help you learn even faster. go for it!

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Chip39

Our two best players are both converted roller guys and both of them can skate circles around most people in our league and neither can really stop. One of the guys is 200 lbs and gets about armor a game for running into somebody but again his skating is great so he avoids contact by dancing around people. Plus the best way to learn something is nessecity. I swear I can't stop on my left but come game time instinct kicks in and I can magically do it.

Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote