HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Old
03-08-2014, 09:04 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't see how past Rangers draftees have any relevance to Miller.
It's relevant in that it shows hitting 60pts isn't exactly easy, even for players whose offensive games have been more highly touted than Miller's.

I'd love it if Miller hit 60 and even looked towards 70 like people are saying, I'm just suggesting we temper the enthusiasm a little bit

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:05 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
It's relevant in that it shows hitting 60pts isn't exactly easy, even for players whose offensive games have been more highly touted than Miller's.

I'd love it if Miller hit 60 and even looked towards 70 like people are saying, I'm just suggesting we temper the enthusiasm a little bit
I feel like Miller had Stepan's brain the guy would be an uber-stud. He's a pretty talented guy. I wonder about what he has upstairs though sometimes.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:11 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I feel like Miller had Stepan's brain the guy would be an uber-stud. He's a pretty talented guy. I wonder about what he has upstairs though sometimes.
Completely agree, and that was one of the big question marks leading up to his draft. Does he have the ability to put all his skills together correctly?

The reason I liked the pick is that even if he doesn't get it all together, he should be a very good 3rd line C for many years to come

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:21 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Completely agree, and that was one of the big question marks leading up to his draft. Does he have the ability to put all his skills together correctly?

The reason I liked the pick is that even if he doesn't get it all together, he should be a very good 3rd line C for many years to come
I didn't realize how talented he was. I thought he was a grinder, but the guy has some great hands on him. Dubinsky would flash that, but I feel like Miller is way more consistent with that and more talented than him. He also seems to have much better wheels.

Old
03-08-2014, 09:23 PM
SnowblindNYR

Budaj, with a major fail.

The good thing about Budaj is that his name can both be used in a cheer and a jeer by Habs fans. Though one's "Buuuudaj" and the other is "Boooo Diiiie".

Old
03-09-2014, 01:47 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Bourque is a very good AHLer. He definitely deserves to be on the first line and has really blossomed phenomenally together with Miller and Fast. he's not just benefiting from playing with them, he's adding to the success of the line. He's legitimately a top-6 AHLer and should finish with around 25 goals this season.

Players usually continue developing until the age of 23 to 25, though there are some exceptions who don't max out until they are 27-28 and others who flat line at 20-21 (or as is the case with McColgan, at the age of 16).

If he stops developing right now at the age of 23, he won't be in the NHL. But if he shows significant progress next season, I can see him having an NHL career. Ultimately, next year will be a make it or break it season for Bourque. Either he flat lines and stays in the AHL for the rest of his career or he has another burst forward and eventually cracks the NHL at some point in the calendar year 2015.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:24 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Bourque is a very good AHLer. He definitely deserves to be on the first line and has really blossomed phenomenally together with Miller and Fast. he's not just benefiting from playing with them, he's adding to the success of the line. He's legitimately a top-6 AHLer and should finish with around 25 goals this season.

Players usually continue developing until the age of 23 to 25, though there are some exceptions who don't max out until they are 27-28 and others who flat line at 20-21 (or as is the case with McColgan, at the age of 16).

If he stops developing right now at the age of 23, he won't be in the NHL. But if he shows significant progress next season, I can see him having an NHL career. Ultimately, next year will be a make it or break it season for Bourque. Either he flat lines and stays in the AHL for the rest of his career or he has another burst forward and eventually cracks the NHL at some point in the calendar year 2015.
When he was drafted, everyone knew he was a long term project. He needed more time to physically develop.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I feel like Bourque could be a cheap version of D. Moore for the Rangers next year, if they felt Moore is overpricing himself/need to go cheap. Don't know if he physically could last the year, but I think the skill is there.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:07 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Former Ranger Vaclav Prospal now a scout for the Wolfpack no, it's the Rangers.

Link

Last edited by jdhebner: 03-09-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Fact correction
jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:35 AM
E-Train

Nice to Sam Noreau with 2 assists last night including 1 on the power play.

E-Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 12:20 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
Former Ranger Vaclav Prospal now a scout for the Wolfpack.

Link
any confirmation from another source that he was hired? i couldn't find anything

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Former Ranger Vaclav Prospal now a scout for the Wolfpack.

Link
Good stuff! Big fan of Vinny.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:07 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Its the Rangers who hired Prospal as a pro scout. He lives in Tampa.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

My expectations are certainly tempered, and I'm not going all in on him. I still feel 50-60 is not a stretch and 70 is a possibility if he continues the development and maturity he has shown during the few NHL call-ups he has had. I think all this extra time in the AHL has really helped his game. The only thing I don't like about him right now is he still doesn't know what his limits are all the time. If he can always stick to the smart plays, and keep his game simple I think he could be a surprisingly good player. When they drafted him I would have never expected to make these kinds of predictions/projections about him. I figured solid 3C, good on both sides of the puck. A typical Rangers safe pick. At this point to me that is the absolute worst case scenario despite a massive downturn.

03-09-2014, 08:57 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Pack lost 3-2 today to Manchester. Bourque, Allen, Kristo and Miller all had assists.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:12 PM
darko

Quote:
Former Ranger Vaclav Prospal now a scout for the Wolfpack no, it's the Rangers.

Link

We gonna end up with bunch of dudes with fake tans.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
We gonna end up with bunch of dudes with fake tans.
And a boatload of heart, I'm down

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
And a boatload of heart, I'm down
while the Rangers trade their guys with heart like Dubinsky Callahan Anisimov etc, where is Rick Nash's heart at???

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post

Highly agree with this. Good right up Beacon!

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:28 PM
slipknottin

I just dont see Bourque making it, he has some skills, but physically he is far too easily bumped off the puck or off his position.

Miller has gotten laid out a couple times recently. Needs to keep his head up.

Allen I think has hit his rookie wall a bit, hes still an ok player, but doesnt look as good as he did earlier in the year.

Lindberg still is too invisible for me. Hes an ok prospect, but I just dont see much special to him.

Fast has looked good recently. Think he isnt far off.

McIlrath I have really liked his game recently. He still has a bit of a problem with balance and he can get a little lazy in his transitions (skating backwards to having to turn and go forward). But has been good positionally, jumping in offensively more, and his physical game has been excellent. Hes so confident with his size he seems to enjoy taking a hit to make a play.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Ola

I've seen a few HFD games lately. I don't got all that much to add to what has been said. A few short thoughts.

-McIlrath is playing decent. I think he has been a bit hard to pin-point in terms of where he is at. My feeling right now though is that he is a couple of years away at least. I just miss that proactive, a bit more intense, defensive play.

If we look at what the reasonable expectation is for McI, I think he is behind the curve in terms of defense and ahead the curve in terms of offense. That also kind of throws you, because he makes "good" plays with the puck and you think "good to see, he is actually pretty good with puck, we shouldn't be so down on this kid". But he isn't really a big factor defensively. And when its all said and done, I think he basically needs to be dominant defensively in the AHL to be ready for the NHL. You know, if HFD gets a box play you should be comfortable when McI hits the ice. You will know that he will dominate defensively and win several battles to clear the puck etc. Like you do with the better defensive Ds in the NHL. He don't have that "aura" at all in the AHL. Could develop it though in the coming years.

-Baby Bourque is playing really well. Its too bad he had all of these injuries. Will he ever get a chance? Where would he be had he been healthy? Does he still have a chance?

He is not a scorer, never has been. But he is world class in the areas you need to be world class to be useful in a smaller role. He is so good at helping his team-mates with and without the puck.

-Jesper Fast is playing better and better, but the key for him is to identify himself as a player on the smaller ice. He has done that more and more over the course of the season. In all areas really, on the forecheck, when we have the puck, in the transition game.

He is so smart and poised on the ice, a coach dream in many areas. But everything on the smaller ice still don't come natrual for him. Its something he needs to work on. And yeah, of course stay healthy. I still don't think he got the intensity in his skating as he had before breaking his leg and facing all the other injuries.

-Oscar Lindberg is facing an ocean of adjustment to apply his game in the AHL. But he is working hard and hanging in there. It kind of feels like he has done all that can be done this year. He needs an off-season to keep building up his body, get some time to sit back and reflect on his game, and then the opertunity to come back to HFD next summer with some openings on the roster and a fresh start.

Once he gets that and can take a prominant role for HFD, he will start to get considered for a NHL game too. And when he gets a chance, I think the NHL game will come much more natrual for him. Especially in AVs system. The AHL game is soo much high pace N-S oriented. There is definitely more room in the NHL to make decisions with the puck etc. For the career AHL scorers, going to the NHL so often turns into a vacum like experience. They end up skating around in no-mans land. They don't get the ice to jump on like they do in the AHL, they face D's that aren't flawed defensively, etc., they just so often fail to get anything going. For Lindberg it will be the opposite, he can really play that chess game too. His strength is his ability to be clutch defensively, on FOs, and to pull off the odd top notch offensive move (he is quite effective there, doesn't need 5 chances to create something, if he gets an opening he will make really good use of it), all the while he is really good at using his linemates and playing to their strength. His weakness is that he isn't very fast on his skates nor does he have great intensity. Nor is he an elite playmaker or sniper. Its players who excells in the later areas who has the most success in the AHL.

-It seems a bit like maybe Kristo will have a hard time making it to the NHL. He makes a lot of really good plays in the AHL, thats great to get from a prospect. But just is never going to get a shot in the NHL on a top 2 line, NOT unless he has worked himself up the lineup first. That means starting off on a 3rd or 4th line. When you look at what he lack to be able to play in a role like that, I just has not seen much if any improvement in those areas so far this season.

I don't know if Gernander can get through to him there. You should never say never, but he got a long way to go.

Last edited by Ola: 03-11-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Ola

I just want to add one thing while we are talking McIlrath.

I can't say that I am comfortable that he will become a good NHLer, but I am still hopeful. In that, I really think you see the advantage of developing a young kid on a good team -- if I can call us that -- as opposed to on a rebuilding team.

Any good NHLer almost keeps developing and building his game until he is 24-25 y/o. It doesn't matter if its Cally or McD or Girardi or even the big stars we see. McI is OF COURSE no diffrent. For him the key is to get in, when he can play 5 on 5, he will contribute with his intanglibles. Since he is borderline, he will of course need to full time to get ready. Meaning 4-5 years.

On a rebuilding team, the focus is on these kids to come in and help almost instantly. You can talk about giving them 3-4 years, but so often the pressure gets to the kids before that. They start to become negeative if they can't help after 2-3 years. If McI can stay positive and work really hard for another couple of years in the NHL, I think there is a good chance that he will make it.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:23 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Don't disagree with anything you wrote, Ola - good stuff!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:06 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I've seen a few HFD games lately. I don't got all that much to add to what has been said. A few short thoughts.

-McIlrath is playing decent. I think he has been a bit hard to pin-point in terms of where he is at. My feeling right now though is that he is a couple of years away at least. I just miss that proactive, a bit more intense, defensive play.

If we look at what the reasonable expectation is for McI, I think he is behind the curve in terms of defense and ahead the curve in terms of offense. That also kind of throws you, because he makes "good" plays with the puck and you think "good to see, he is actually pretty good with puck, we shouldn't be so down on this kid". But he isn't really a big factor defensively. And when its all said and done, I think he basically needs to be dominant defensively in the AHL to be ready for the NHL. You know, if HFD gets a box play you should be comfortable when McI hits the ice. You will know that he will dominate defensively and win several battles to clear the puck etc. Like you do with the better defensive Ds in the NHL. He don't have that "aura" at all in the AHL. Could develop it though in the coming years.

-Baby Bourque is playing really well. Its too bad he had all of these injuries. Will he ever get a chance? Where would he be had he been healthy? Does he still have a chance?

He is not a scorer, never has been. But he is world class in the areas you need to be world class to be useful in a smaller role. He is so good at helping his team-mates with and without the puck.

-Jesper Fast is playing better and better, but the key for him is to identify himself as a player on the smaller ice. He has done that more and more over the course of the season. In all areas really, on the forecheck, when we have the puck, in the transition game.

He is so smart and poised on the ice, a coach dream in many areas. But everything on the smaller ice still don't come natrual for him. Its something he needs to work on. And yeah, of course stay healthy. I still don't think he got the intensity in his skating as he had before breaking his leg and facing all the other injuries.

-Oscar Lindberg is facing an ocean of adjustment to apply his game in the AHL. But he is working hard and hanging in there. It kind of feels like he has done all that can be done this year. He needs an off-season to keep building up his body, get some time to sit back and reflect on his game, and then the opertunity to come back to HFD next summer with some openings on the roster and a fresh start.

Once he gets that and can take a prominant role for HFD, he will start to get considered for a NHL game too. And when he gets a chance, I think the NHL game will come much more natrual for him. Especially in AVs system. The AHL game is soo much high pace N-S oriented. There is definitely more room in the NHL to make decisions with the puck etc. For the career AHL scorers, going to the NHL so often turns into a vacum like experience. They end up skating around in no-mans land. They don't get the ice to jump on like they do in the AHL, they face D's that aren't flawed defensively, etc., they just so often fail to get anything going. For Lindberg it will be the opposite, he can really play that chess game too. His strength is his ability to be clutch defensively, on FOs, and to pull off the odd top notch offensive move (he is quite effective there, doesn't need 5 chances to create something, if he gets an opening he will make really good use of it), all the while he is really good at using his linemates and playing to their strength. His weakness is that he isn't very fast on his skates nor does he have great intensity. Nor is he an elite playmaker or sniper. Its players who excells in the later areas who has the most success in the AHL.

-It seems a bit like maybe Kristo will have a hard time making it to the NHL. He makes a lot of really good plays in the AHL, thats great to get from a prospect. But just is never going to get a shot in the NHL on a top 2 line, NOT unless he has worked himself up the lineup first. That means starting off on a 3rd or 4th line. When you look at what he lack to be able to play in a role like that, I just has not seen much if any improvement in those areas so far this season.

I don't know if Gernander can get through to him there. You should never say never, but he got a long way to go.
Dylan seems to have periods where he plays very solid D and then he has periods of shaky D. He needs to balance that out to the solid D. Seeing him against NHL competition--the puck seems to be a hand grenade with him. Granted there haven't been too many games against NHL competition but he'll need to get over that. He's got to find the calm in his own game--where he has an idea where his teammates are and what his options are when he does get the puck. For a lot of young D--the simple plays are the best--the boards, the glass--getting it out of the zone. The presence of mind not to force plays. The Rangers can really use a guy like this but IMO he's not ready.

Bourque has finally turned a corner as far as AHL competition goes. He's been injury free for a while and he's become a big contributor in the last couple months to the Wolfpack's offense. He came into this season with 29 points in 122 AHL games and the first third to half of this season started out the same way. He's putting up points now and very often at key moments. I wouldn't say he's ready for the NHL or that he's even going to be an NHL'er but at this point in time he's a guy you re-sign--for a couple reasons 1) Wolfpack are real short of returnees for next year and 2) he's become a legit prospect again.

I loved Fast in training camp. Excellent skater. Very smart player. Calm with the puck---makes nice plays. He doesn't shoot enough.

Lindberg has gradually gotten better throughout the year. I don't know if he can make the Rangers out of training camp but I don't think he's too far away.

Agree pretty much on Kristo. He's kind of small and he's a little older. I don't think he has a big window to make it and he's not proven to be a full length of the ice player.

Miller is the guy closest now. I think this has been a real good year for him.

Allen is the closest defense prospect. Calm with the puck--good skater--moves the puck well--makes smart plays.

After that I don't see much in Hartford that excites me.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Don't disagree with anything you wrote, Ola - good stuff!
This, but with the word "ever" at the end of the word "you".

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote