HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien knows more about hockey than you do.

Old
03-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Smokey Thompson

vCash: 500
Well that's not a very nice thing to say.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBubbleRaincoat View Post
I just don't see how you could say that 99% of this board has more hockey IQ than someone who got himself to a professional level. The CH is a proud franchise with a mostly proud fan-base. We do compose of the most irrational, bipolar fan-base in sports due to a history of winning. How can one discount the damage done from late '95 and periodically til' 2012 and expect a contender RIGHT NOW. We're getting there, and Therrien might or might not be the coach when we hoist another one.
I said 99% of this board has more education.

I'll substract you off 99.9999

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:06 AM
GreenBubbleRaincoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBobrovsky View Post
Then hire the "right" coach finally, which probably requires that the ability to "parlez-vous" should not be a factor.
I agree, but these are factors I have no control over. I'm all for the for whoever it takes to get the job done, but I'm also for once sticking with what we have if that is a OFFICIAL requirement according to the Province and or Molson.

GreenBubbleRaincoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Most would agree. I'm just sick of the 2.5 year coach tenure that's been in place ever since Tremblay (When I started following the team).
That's because the team hasn't even remotely been a contender in a long ass time. Even then Bowman was the last coach to last more than 4 years.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:13 AM
GreenBubbleRaincoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I said 99% of this board has more education.

I'll substract you off 99.9999
Well you do that Big Bird. I'm just trying to provide a different look towards things. I love this team too much, and it pains me to read such nonsense when the blame should maybe more distributed.

Old
03-10-2014, 11:16 AM
GreenBubbleRaincoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
That's because the team hasn't even remotely been a contender in a long ass time. Even then Bowman was the last coach to last more than 4 years.
I think we could be more of a contender if we didn't consistently switch coaches every 2-2.5 years.

Old
03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Well you do that Big Bird. I'm just trying to provide a different look towards things. I love this team too much, and it pains me to read such nonsense when the blame should maybe more distributed.
If you love your team, you want the best for it.

Therrien is far and I mean FAR from being the best.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:21 AM
GreenBubbleRaincoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
If you love your team, you want the best for it.

Therrien is far and I mean FAR from being the best.
The way the team is playing on the actual NHL ice surfaces is not all on Therrien. It's like the coach is second to goalie when it comes to the blame.

Old
03-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
The way the team is playing on the actual NHL ice surfaces is not all on Therrien. It's like the coach is second to goalie when it comes to the blame.
How is it not on Therrien? He's telling our five 5'9 players to dump the puck and grind in the corner to get it back. It's the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Gretzky was arguably the best player to ever play the game and he was a horrible coach.

In what world does playing equal managing??

The majority of people in place in the NHL are there solely due to experience.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:31 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
Quote:
You know why? This man at least played in the AHL. Come at me you AHL players posting out there. This man has had three NHL coaching gigs. Does anyone ever think of pinning any blames on the assistant coaches, video coaches, general manager (well that has happened) and anyone else who has any input when it comes to on ice adjustments.

My main point of this thread is to damper the obsessive blame/hate/disgust towards just one man. I'm no fan of this 'grinding' system either.... and yes I sometimes long for the structure they played last year.... BUT REMEMBER they faltered before that grueling 48 game schedule was done with.

I started a thread a couple months back still supporting Therrien, citing that beautiful opening round series in 2002 vs the Bruins. Therrien coaching a team on the tail-end of the 'Dark-Age''. Yeah, the game was different then. Therrien didn't do us any favors in the end with the Hurricanes series either... yeah, yeah, I know.

Still, you think you know more about the game of hockey than Michel Therrien does? Give me a bloody break.
In my opinion there is a stark difference between having more access and knowledge. I'm pretty confident there are a few people around here, given the same access to the game Therrien has they would do a better job. Also, it doesn't take much effort to understand how to run a practice. Now obviously experience is important but it doesn't always trump intellect.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:34 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBobrovsky View Post
The fact that MT knows more about hockey than any of us, which I agree with, doesn't negate that he's an idiot, likely with a very low IQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Bob Gainey played in the nhl, won Stanley Cups and Selke trophies. That doesn't stop people from calling him a bumbling fool.

If it wasn't for the Habs language requirement, it is highly unlikely that Therrien would have gotten another nhl gig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Guy Carbonneau played in the NHL.

Being a hockey player, even a good one, does not necessarily make you a good hockey coach or manager. It does not preclude it, either, but the skills required for the athletic performance are very different than the skills required to be a good tactician, motivator, or manager.

I'd even venture that NHL clubs would do better if they were less obsessed with playing experience.
MT has the team in 3rd place in the East. Calling him incompetent and an idiot implies that he isn't doing a good job. That this team could do better

Please take a good look at this team up until the trade deadline and then tell me it had the horses to be in 1st or 2nd place. If you answer that with a yes....well, then I know who the incompetent ones really are. I'll omit using the word idiots...after all most of you know how to write.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:37 AM
GreenBubbleRaincoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
How is it not on Therrien? He's telling our five 5'9 players to dump the puck and grind in the corner to get it back. It's the most retarded thing I've ever seen.
We've also had more net presence, something that's been lacking for a few years. Don't get me wrong, and read the thread for verification... I'm not impressed by the system the team is playing this year. It's been a frustrating year with good results... really bizarre season. Price has so much to do with it. Look back to my opening post, my main point is Therrien isn't the only one to throw blame on when it comes to the "system". You guys think he's the only one thinking this "grinding" play?

Old
03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
MT has the team in 3rd place in the East. Calling him incompetent and an idiot implies that he isn't doing a good job. That this team could do better

Please take a good look at this team up until the trade deadline and then tell me it had the horses to be in 1st or 2nd place. If you answer that with a yes....well, then I know who the incompetent ones really are. I'll omit using the word idiots...after all most of you know how to write.
A Norris Winner
One the league's best PP QBs
A Vezina caliber goalie
2nd highest scoring LW in the nhl, one of the highest scoring LW wingers over the last three years
An underrated two-way centre
strong young forward core in Galchenyuk and Gallagher

0 wins since the olympic break, without the 10 game point streak habs have been playing .500 hockey (56 out of 66 games have been just a notch over .500 hockey) with the most talented lineup since 07 in a weak eastern conference. Not only that, 90% of the roster has regressed under Therrien.

You sound like Gainey apologists. Without Carey Price, this team wouldn't have the record it has today. This has less to do with talent than with how badly coached the team is. Jacques Martin got more out of a club with much less talent.

Also, nice to see you M.O of attacking other posters instead of advancing and substantiating an argument. Your holier than thou attitude is getting stale.

Last edited by Andy: 03-10-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:41 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
You know why? This man at least played in the AHL. Come at me you AHL players posting out there. This man has had three NHL coaching gigs. Does anyone ever think of pinning any blames on the assistant coaches, video coaches, general manager (well that has happened) and anyone else who has any input when it comes to on ice adjustments.

My main point of this thread is to damper the obsessive blame/hate/disgust towards just one man. I'm no fan of this 'grinding' system either.... and yes I sometimes long for the structure they played last year.... BUT REMEMBER they faltered before that grueling 48 game schedule was done with.

I started a thread a couple months back still supporting Therrien, citing that beautiful opening round series in 2002 vs the Bruins. Therrien coaching a team on the tail-end of the 'Dark-Age''. Yeah, the game was different then. Therrien didn't do us any favors in the end with the Hurricanes series either... yeah, yeah, I know.

Still, you think you know more about the game of hockey than Michel Therrien does? Give me a bloody break.
It is MT's job to oversee the other coaches thus the title HEAD COACH. So yes he does hold the blame if the other coaches are not performing.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
Quote:

I'd like to ask you: take a good look at this team up until the trade deadline and then tell me it had the horses to be in 1st or 2nd place. If you answer that question with a yes....well, then I know who the incompetent ones really are. I'll omit using the word idiots...after all most of you know how to write.
Bruins are probably a worse team this year than they were last year and they're 12 points up with 2 points in hand. We should not be comparing this team to the Toronto ****ing Maple Leafs, it should be Boston.

Honestly the difference between Montreal and the upper-echelon isn't personnel, it's strategy and coaching. We have a top 5 defenseman, top 3 goalie, top 5 goal scorer and unbelievable youth and we cannot score or beat heavy teams. Why? Because we try to beat them at their game, instead of using a relevant strategy to the roster.

Honestly, whether we're in 3rd or 15th most people can see this personnel is being misused. It's so obvious I'm a little disappointed that people can be blinded by where we are in the standings.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:44 AM
MathMan

Quote:
It could. It might not result in a big shift on the standings, but it's (I hope) obvious that this team is riding goaltending (and no small amount of good fortune). Otherwise it's playing like a weak club and even if the roster is not a world-beater, it ought to be better, on aggregate, than "Calgary or Edmonton with better goaltending", which it resembles far too often.

Even if the Habs were an average-talented club (and I think they're better than that), an average team benefitting from goaltending like Price is offering should be in a dogfight with Boston, or at least within striking distance.

And really the Habs are lucky to be where they are in the standings. Right now, the Habs have allowed 5 non-empty-net goals than they've scored. That's minus five. In 2011-2012, at the end of the season, they were -2. I'm sure the Habs can do better than that.

I trust I don't have to explain that allowing more goals than you score is a dubious strategy for long-term success.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

It's not about the position in the standings. Are you so simple minded?
Do you watch the games? Do you actually follow the team, watch them perform, look at trends, stats and facts? Or do you just look at the score in the morning and check the standings, something 10yo kids do.

Let's stop kidding ourselves. This team hasn't been playing well. I shouldn't have to tell this to any regular poster on this board. The team has been playing for .500 for 85% of the season. There is a 10 game streak that skewed a part of the data, the standings, but everything else point towards the .500 team we've been for the vast majority of the year.

You know this, so stop playing dumb.

Heck, Toronto is 1 point behind us with a game in hand!! TORONTO!!! They are a horrible team. They'll possibly be ahead of us the next time we play, and we're going to pretend like all is well??

The East is pure garbage this year. Enough with the standings.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:45 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Michel, get off HFboards and watch game tape.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:50 AM
GreenBubbleRaincoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
It is MT's job to oversee the other coaches thus the title HEAD COACH. So yes he does hold the blame if the other coaches are not performing.
So he is pretty much the dictator with what you're saying. I'm pretty sure Gallant, Therrien and J.J. confide on what's the best way to roll. Once again this brings me to my point... it's a collective process...

Old
03-10-2014, 11:57 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's not about the position in the standings. Are you so simple minded?
Do you watch the games? Do you actually follow the team, watch them perform, look at trends, stats and facts? Or do you just look at the score in the morning and check the standings, something 10yo kids do.

Let's stop kidding ourselves. This team hasn't been playing well. I shouldn't have to tell this to any regular poster on this board. The team has been playing for .500 for 85% of the season. There is a 10 game streak that skewed a part of the data, the standings, but everything else point towards the .500 team we've been for the vast majority of the year.

You know this, so stop playing dumb.

Heck, Toronto is 1 point behind us with a game in hand!! TORONTO!!! They are a horrible team. They'll possibly be ahead of us the next time we play, and we're going to pretend like all is well??

The East is pure garbage this year. Enough with the standings.
Oh, okay. I understand now. Therrien is an idiot not because he has the Habs in 3rd, not because the Habs should be higher in the stands, but because and I quote, "This team hasn't been playing well".

And I'll go out on a limb here but maybe, "This team hasn't been playing well" because it doesn't have the horses to play any better.

As for your BS comment that the standings don't matter then what does matter? Your amateur opinion on how they should be playing? Jeeze, the arrogance of some people.

And I'm not even a fan of Therrien and I know he's getting the most he can from this team.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

My son's atom coach knows more about coaching than I do. Doesn't mean I'd want him coaching the Habs. Anyway, I don't think there are many of us here who go around saying we should be the coaches. We recognize incompetence when we see it. But we aren't saying we could do better. Just that 100 other people could.

Now, for GM, that's another story...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
CP31

The only thing I hate about Carey Price is that he's enabled Therrien to keep his job.

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Devourers

Didn't the blue jays hire a guy with no league experience? Just saying, it isn't always about having played the game. There are good minds in all of sports who did and didn't play the game, just like there are bad ones who did or didn't.

Therrien having played the game and coached in the NHL probably does mean he'd be a better coach than anyone here, he has experience we don't have. However, that doesn't necessarily mean a poster or two here couldn't become a better coach had they been given the opportunities Therrien has been afforded.

Not saying that's the case though, just saying we can't ever know for certain. Still though, I think insulting the mans intellect etc is a really low blow. If anything, the guy is passionate about our team and wants all the same things we do. Implying that he has a double digit IQ because he doesn't coach the way you want him to is a jab between the legs.

Who are you to judge how smart the guy is, you don't even know him. All you see is what the team wants you to see, you don't see Therrien the human being, you just see the coach and frankly like it or not, the results speak for themselves.

I'm in the camp that believes the team wins in spite of Therrien, not because they're an overly talented squad, but because they play well together as a team, despite a system that imo hampers them. But until I see another coach come in and do a better job, or I see Therrien drive this team out of a playoff position, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt despite my gut feeling that this team is winning in spite of him, not because of him.

Why? Because I can't know for certain. He does deserve the benefit of the doubt, despite what all his detractors here, including myself, might think. To take a jab at his IQ cause of coaching related decisions is laughable. You can be a total idiot or a complete genius and still be a good or terrible coach. The last time we won a cup, our coach was illiterate. Does that mean he was also an idiot with a double digit IQ who can't coach?

The two are separate and have no bearing on one another. There are people who have practically no social skills, zero linguistic skills, zero skills in pretty much anything, but who are geniuses at math, and so on. A person can be a savant. Not saying Therrien is, but to judge his intellect based on some interviews and coaching is as disingenuous as judging his coaching based on his intelligence. The two have no bearing on one another.

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote