HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scotty Upshall

Old
02-19-2007, 09:15 AM
AdmiralPred

vCash: 500
Aside from his run in the second half of last season, Scottie had kind of a "ho-hum" attitude while playing in Milwaukee. This is what AdsSabresRules has been harping on all season long in the MilAds thread. Lot of fans in Milwaukee were rubbed the wrong way by Upshall's personality at first, and he never regained their admiration. He's a good player, plays a style that would have serviced the Preds well but, based upon my observation of him on the bench, his reactions to some of the penalties he took, and some second-hand MilAds fan's accounts, I can see where to poster in post #7 (Mcskillz) may be coming from.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
OpenWheel

Often you see guys who are a bit cocky, think they are great in their sport, be sort of petulant at times early in their career. Some of those guys when they get beat out for position, learn a lesson. Sometimes those same guys regain a good attitude when they get a second chance, often with a new team.

Just saying I wouldn't write off Scotty too early in his career. I've always liked his playing style and think he has some good skills. Good luck to him.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:08 PM
PhillyFlyers1796

Scottie just lit the lamp again for us with a beautiful goal on a 3 on 2!

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:09 PM
JayPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers1796 View Post
Scottie just lit the lamp again for us with a beautiful goal on a 3 on 2!
Wicked shot, eh!?

JayPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Upshall > Forsberg

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
runkle

He is fitting in nicely. I haven't seen him much that I can remember before he got to Philly, but the kid can play.

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
markzab

Upshall PHL: 2GP, 2G-1A-3PTS
Forsberg NAS: 2GP, 0G-0A-0PTS

For the fun of it we started an Upshall vs Forsberg tracker thread.

Obviously Forsberg will win out but for now it's pretty funny.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post

its funny because its been 2 games.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

when he's healthy ... he's a decent player ... but the kid is made of glass

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Nashville108*

In a month, we'll look at Foppa. And then, we'll take a look at Upshall. Either sitting in a suite with a hurt groin, or playing for your AHL affiliate.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:16 PM
markzab

I can guarantee that Forsberg will outscore Upshall in the post-season for sure.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:09 AM
larsmark

I am 100% sure that Forsberg will have more points in the playoffs

larsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Thundermare

Still fun to watch ... and oubviously won't last... but if Upshall learn to pace himself in the Havoc creation department he has a good chance at a nice career

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:06 AM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post

I guess I wouldn't be that surprised if Upshall did outscore Forsberg from here until the second week of April. This is a rejuvenation for Scottie, and a spotlight, microscope, fishbowl situation for Forsberg.

But, this is only looking at pure points and we all know, especially in hockey, the scoresheet tells a little piece of the story. Upshall probably won't generate much offense the way Forsberg does, and listening to the one game last night Forsberg sounded like he was doing quite a bit.

However, as someone mentioned that Upshall was made of glass, which injury category does Forsberg fit into?

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:58 AM
AdsSabresRule

Upshall...

This whole Upshall thing with Philly fans is so humorous to me...We in Pred/Ads land have known this 'little guy' for the last four years...now he goes away to another town, and they have no idea of this kid's history, whatever...I hope he does well for himself, and heck, no one here ever said he was not a good player, maybe a third/second line guy...but, believe me, the odds of him going south are much greater than him going to the All - Star game one day!
And - the whole Forsberg and Upshall in the same conversation is just ridiculous. The only issue I have with Foppa is his foot, and the never - ending quest to get him healthy, long - term. But, I think the deal was for THIS year, and THIS upcoming playoffs...Truth be told I was more upset that you got rid of Parent. I was on the track that Klein was the expendable prospect. In the local paper Claude has called out Klein for being 'too unselfish', and praised him the other night for ripping one past the Rampage netminder for the game - winner. I.E. Kevin needs to bring out the offense in him - now!

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
This whole Upshall thing with Philly fans is so humorous to me...We in Pred/Ads land have known this 'little guy' for the last four years...now he goes away to another town, and they have no idea of this kid's history, whatever...I hope he does well for himself, and heck, no one here ever said he was not a good player, maybe a third/second line guy...but, believe me, the odds of him going south are much greater than him going to the All - Star game one day!
And - the whole Forsberg and Upshall in the same conversation is just ridiculous. The only issue I have with Foppa is his foot, and the never - ending quest to get him healthy, long - term. But, I think the deal was for THIS year, and THIS upcoming playoffs...Truth be told I was more upset that you got rid of Parent. I was on the track that Klein was the expendable prospect. In the local paper Claude has called out Klein for being 'too unselfish', and praised him the other night for ripping one past the Rampage netminder for the game - winner. I.E. Kevin needs to bring out the offense in him - now!
Nobody said he would be a better player... but it'S fun to watch the point total for a while... oubviously Foppa is the better player ... and by a mile and a half... but still this guy deserves better playing time and will make a good second- third liner for the rebuilding Flyers.

That is from a Preds (and yes Habs fan)

Old
02-20-2007, 10:57 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville108 View Post
In a month, we'll look at Foppa. And then, we'll take a look at Upshall. Either sitting in a suite with a hurt groin, or playing for your AHL affiliate.
Hopefully he doesn't end up in the suite, but I don't think there's much of a chance of him going to the AHL. Besides the obvious of having to clear waivers, he's just too good to be in the AHL. A lot on these boards thought he was a surefire second liner on this year's team, but injuries and the acquisition of JP Dumont spoiled what could have been his breakout year for the Preds.

If he stays healthy, he has the tools to be a very good second liner. I still think he'll end up being a more talented version of Scott Walker. Unfortunately, he'll share the same overall injury problems.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Hopefully he doesn't end up in the suite, but I don't think there's much of a chance of him going to the AHL. Besides the obvious of having to clear waivers, he's just too good to be in the AHL. A lot on these boards thought he was a surefire second liner on this year's team, but injuries and the acquisition of JP Dumont spoiled what could have been his breakout year for the Preds.

If he stays healthy, he has the tools to be a very good second liner. I still think he'll end up being a more talented version of Scott Walker. Unfortunately, he'll share the same overall injury problems.
Great comparison, I think he indeed as all the tools to fit that one... but like you mentionned all the badside of it too

Old
02-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Petr Tenkrat also had 2 goals in that game, so take it for what it's worth.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:11 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post

Pull the stick out your @ss. We're just having some fun. Most of us are rooting for the Preds and Forsberg to win it all.

Old
02-20-2007, 05:39 PM
AdsSabresRule

I guess...

- that I'll allow for the fun. For now...

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Petr Tenkrat also had 2 goals in that game, so take it for what it's worth.
Does this mean something?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Does this mean something?
Tenkrat > Forsberg

Tenkrat even has more hat tricks as a Predator too!

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:08 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
when he's healthy ... he's a decent player ... but the kid is made of glass
If only Upshall could stay healthy. I am rooting for him despite what I have read about his alleged attitude problems.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:40 PM
CandyDelNOmore

I just wanted to know what everyone thought about this, since we are discussing Upshall. I do wish him the best with the Flyers and hope that he can put his injury issues behind him.

I remember watching the draft of 2002 in which Scottie Upshall went 6th overall to Nashville. I was actually sitting there hoping we would have take Joffrey Lupul. What do you guys think? Do you think we would have been better off taking Lupul? It also should be noted that Pierre-Marc Bouchard went 8th overall to the Wild right after Lupul was taken 7th overall by Anaheim. Also Alexander Semin was taken 13th overall by the Capitals that same year. Now I know the draft is a crap shoot and it's all based on potential, but looking back now, the main thing is, would you have rather had Lupul or Upshall? Just wondering...

CandyDelNOmore is offline   Reply With Quote