HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrej Meszaros to BOS for 2014 3rd round pick or... (determining factors in post #1)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2014, 06:33 PM
  #126
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,731
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I knew you could trade a player and retain part of his salary, but I didn't know you could retain part of the cap hit as well. You can really do that? Sounds like it could lead to some fishy business going on.
It led to a more productive trade deadline in terms of the names that were moved. And if you trade a guy, and retain 50% of the cap, the next guy can trade him and retain 50% of the cap. Devan Dubnyk is only on the Habs cap for 25% of his remaining cap hit. Part of the reason is because it was too hard for some teams at the cap to make trades.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:07 PM
  #127
JackStraw
Moving much too slow
 
JackStraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It led to a more productive trade deadline in terms of the names that were moved. And if you trade a guy, and retain 50% of the cap, the next guy can trade him and retain 50% of the cap. Devan Dubnyk is only on the Habs cap for 25% of his remaining cap hit. Part of the reason is because it was too hard for some teams at the cap to make trades.
Thanks for the info. It does seem like it sort of defeats the purpose of cap to some extent, but if it's what the league wants who am I to argue?

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 01:17 PM
  #128
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
You can only retain 50% of a contract, but yeah. We're under the cap, and won't go above it. Fine with me.
I know I was just speaking hypothetically lol. Just furthering my view that at this point, cap hit is mostly inconsequential.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:52 PM
  #129
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Meszaros with a PP goal for Boston last night.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
  #130
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
Boston is gonna win the cup and add to the former flyers that have left and won a cup quickly after departure.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:10 PM
  #131
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
So then we will likely have two second round picks this year.

Then won't pick again till the 5th round.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...ure/Flyers.htm

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:30 PM
  #132
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
So then we will likely have two second round picks this year.

Then won't pick again till the 5th round.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...ure/Flyers.htm
They can easily trade Grossman for some 3's

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:31 PM
  #133
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
I would take a single 3rd rounder.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  #134
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Meszaros with a PP goal for Boston last night.
Don't know why that's amazing or shocking; Mez scores goals.

However, he also has a tendency to be directly responsible for a lot of goals against, and he's shown this year that his D game has fallen so far off the map that he needs to produce at a VERY high level relative to his usual production to cover for that.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:21 PM
  #135
MP92
G & V
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Boston is gonna win the cup and add to the former flyers that have left and won a cup quickly after departure.
Do people really still care about that though? It doesn't really prove we should have hung onto those players (don't get me wrong there are some I would have liked to keep). They don't singularly win a cup. There are a lot more variables to a team winning than just who is on the roster.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  #136
MickeyMelchiondo
Registered User
 
MickeyMelchiondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Do people really still care about that though? It doesn't really prove we should have hung onto those players (don't get me wrong there are some I would have liked to keep). They don't singularly win a cup. There are a lot more variables to a team winning than just who is on the roster.
there's something to be said for the fact that seemingly every year the Cup winning team has ex-Flyers on it

what that something is, I'm not sure
but I don't think there are many other teams out there that have had as many players as the Flyers have had leave and go win a Cup...

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:34 PM
  #137
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
there's something to be said for the fact that seemingly every year the Cup winning team has ex-Flyers on it

what that something is, I'm not sure
but I don't think there are many other teams out there that have had as many players as the Flyers have had leave and go win a Cup...
I am pretty sure you could say something similar about many teams.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:51 PM
  #138
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Do people really still care about that though? It doesn't really prove we should have hung onto those players (don't get me wrong there are some I would have liked to keep). They don't singularly win a cup. There are a lot more variables to a team winning than just who is on the roster.
Mez winning a cup with Boston would be equivalent to Carcillo with Chicago last year. Two bottom role players who happened to be on great teams.

I'm actually rooting for him & Boston to do well so our pick upgrades.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 05:01 PM
  #139
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Mez winning a cup with Boston would be equivalent to Carcillo with Chicago last year. Two bottom role players who happened to be on great teams.

I'm actually rooting for him & Boston to do well so our pick upgrades.
Best case scenario: Meszaros leads Boston to the ECF, scoring 10+ points, before losing to the Flyers en route to a Flyers cup win. Meszaros is unsure of his future and signs with the Bruins after the draft. Flyers have a cup + a 2nd and a 4th!

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 05:32 PM
  #140
MP92
G & V
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Mez winning a cup with Boston would be equivalent to Carcillo with Chicago last year. Two bottom role players who happened to be on great teams.

I'm actually rooting for him & Boston to do well so our pick upgrades.
Same here.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 08:06 PM
  #141
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
Meszaros is playing in their first game right now.

Quote:
Meszaros was traded to Boston Wednesday for a conditional 2014 third round pick. The third round pick becomes a second rounder if Boston reaches the Conference Finals and Meszaros plays in at least 2/3 of all of the Bruins 2014 Playoff games or if Boston re-signs Meszaros to a contract before the start of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

If neither condition is met, it remains a third rounder but if Boston signs Meszaros after the start of the 2014 NHL entry draft for the 2014-15 season, the Flyers pick up an additional fourth round pick from Boston in 2015.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 08:22 AM
  #142
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
So he only played in four games and they didn't make it to the Conference Finals and are unlikely to sign him to a contract either before or after the draft, but good on Holmgren for getting a third rounder for him.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 08:35 AM
  #143
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,843
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So what's the final outcome on this? Just a third?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 08:38 AM
  #144
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So what's the final outcome on this? Just a third?
Believe so. Still not a bad return for a soon to be UFA that looked like a dumpster fire for most of the season.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 08:42 AM
  #145
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,843
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Believe so. Still not a bad return for a soon to be UFA that looked like a dumpster fire for most of the season.
Oh yeah, I'm not complaining, was just trying figure out what the deal was now that all is said and done.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 10:21 AM
  #146
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,698
vCash: 500
Well i think we get a 2015 4th if he resigns with Boston after the draft.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 10:50 AM
  #147
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
That seems very unlikely. They barely used him in the playoffs and Seidenberg is coming back.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:08 AM
  #148
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
That seems very unlikely. They barely used him in the playoffs and Seidenberg is coming back.
Not as a top 4 but as a 6/7. For cheap deal that is not too bad.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:15 AM
  #149
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Not as a top 4 but as a 6/7. For cheap deal that is not too bad.
I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Boston is not bringing Mez back.

They already have these guys locked up for next year:

Chara
Boychuk
Seidenberg
Hamilton
Miller
McQuaid

Krug will most definitely be resigned as well, and they also have Bartkowski to retain if they want.

They also have these guys who are pretty much ready to make the jump if need be:

Warsfosky
Morrow

Mez would be about 9th or 10th on their depth chart.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:17 AM
  #150
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Boston is not bringing Mez back.

They already have these guys locked up for next year:

Chara
Boychuk
Seidenberg
Hamilton
Miller
McQuaid

Krug will most definitely be resigned as well, and they also have Bartkowski to retain if they want.

They also have these guys who are pretty much ready to make the jump if need be:

Warsfosky
Morrow

Mez would be about 9th or 10th on their depth chart.
Fair enough. I have seen crazier but just throwing it out only. Only a 4th anyway

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.