HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question regarding Souray's value

Old
02-20-2007, 07:30 AM
PeteLaframboise

vCash: 500
Question regarding Souray's value

Does anybody remember what the Capitals got for trading Gonchar to Boston, I always tought that the best way to know a players value is to find a comparable trade. I think both player have a similar profile except Gonchar speed and Souray physical play.

Or if somebody knows a good site to revisite previous trades.

Thanks

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Mathletic

Morrison and picks

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:39 AM
DanKramerHabs
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to DanKramerHabs
I'd say Gonchar's value is higher than Souray's, as he was the premiere offensive d-man in the game. Souray might command something similar though.

03-Mar-04: Washington Capitals traded Sergei Gonchar to the Boston Bruins for Shaone Morrisonn, a 1st and a 2nd round selection in 2004.

Quite a hefty price.

DanKramerHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Would you guys consider Souray a locker room problem. What is the general view on him as a teammate and a leader?

My view on Souray is that he is an underrated, but star quality, performer, but can be very inconsistent at times. I guess what I am asking is this:

Is he part of the problem lately?

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:47 AM
PeteLaframboise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter View Post
Would you guys consider Souray a locker room problem. What is the general view on him as a teammate and a leader?

My view on Souray is that he is an underrated, but star quality, performer, but can be very inconsistent at times. I guess what I am asking is this:

Souray is more part of the solution than the problem, he's actually a great locker room guy. His big problem is handling good players 1 on 1 in space. Other than that i'd love to keep him with the team but can't risk loosing him for nothing and miss the playoff.

Old
02-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:

Well IMO Souray is the captain of this team and it's not that he's the problem but it's that he will likely sign somewhere else in the offseason. So it's in our best interest to get what we can for him.

As for the comparison to the Gonchar deal...I think this is a good market for sellers. Like I said in another thread...there are so many teams who could make a cup run this season. There is no "clear" favorite in either conference. Listening to the FAN yesterday and they said they believe that Souary would fetch similar to what Forsberg got and that many GM's said to expect some big trades to happen.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:52 AM
PeteLaframboise

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I'd say Gonchar's value is higher than Souray's, as he was the premiere offensive d-man in the game. Souray might command something similar though.

03-Mar-04: Washington Capitals traded Sergei Gonchar to the Boston Bruins for Shaone Morrisonn, a 1st and a 2nd round selection in 2004.

Quite a hefty price.
Don't you think Souray's is one too, 20 g 29 a, tied 2nd in the league not too shabby.

Old
02-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Habber

Quote:

Not a locker room problem, in fact he's probably one of the strongest characters on the team. Hasn't been part of the downslide either, he's been one of our few good performers lately.

And definately not underrated. Quite the opposite IMO. He's having a career year, and I feel next season he will come back down to the 15g 20a range. He'll still be an effective player and a good guy to have around, trouble is there's going to be a huge overpayment for him on the free market.

Bottom line he's a great 1st unit PP, decent 2nd pairing d-man. Worth $4M max, but will probably fetch upwards of $5M or $6 this summer. That's why all the trade talk. Gainey know's his value is at an all time high, and that he's not worth the contract he's going to get.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote