HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for Huge Speciman

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Some guys play better in the NHL than the minors.
Take Ryan Malone for instance.
He had a very average NCAA career.
He wasn't on the Penguiss radar.
He once sticked in training camp and never looked back. I think he has something like 3 career AHL games.

Try him, what do you have to lose? Maybe if he doesn't stick, it'll motivate him to do more to come back.
Looking past the topic, you got a great point, didn't know about Malone, but he is a great example.

Its all about what a player can do, and how he can play the game and how that fitsin in the NHL, whats he does at a lower level is all about how he can play the game and how that fits in down there.

Kim Johnsson is another example. He never scored much in the SEL, and when I reported about him I got many replys like "A tiny offensive D with thoose numbers? You are defenitly overrating him.". Though, he played really well in the SEL, but he never got any production out of it. He played with forwards that didn't utilize there D's, and on a team that was bad in general.

Following the NHL from Europe I see allot of scenarios that I don't think many NHL fans ever gets to see, like big stars moving from really high levels to low, and how they react to that. I see allot of great teams playing against extremely bad teams, and how thoose results can be. It makes you think at times, and gives great perspective. If Anaheim Ducks/Buffalo Sabres were to play in the ECHL, they wouldn't win all games. Theyd probably loose 5-10%, thats just how the game of hockey is. I saw Ronald Petrovicky play in the qualification series between the 2nd and 3rd tier league here in Sweden during the lockout, thats a levle were I have played, Petrovicky were extremely good, in a big 4th line role at that level. He didn't work out at all on a 2nd or 3rd line, something I defenitly didn't expect. Youd thought he would be able to dominate.

Thats a huge factor thats so easy to miss, someguys can play one role in the game of hockey, at all levels, but that doesn't mean they can contribute in a bigger role at a much lower level. Thats important to remember when watching kids for example, if the expectations for a player is to be a high energy 0.5 PPG player in the NHL, it doesn't mean he is a bust if he only scores 0.5 PPG in the CHL/AHL. If you create the majority of your offense from taking advantage of misstakes other teams make while forechecking, you will basically get the same amount of chances in the NHL as you get in the AHL, while at the AHL, someone who can create offense in a number of ways at that level, might not be able to create offense in any way in the NHL, a 2 PPG player in the AHL can be a much worse offensive fit in the NHL as a 0.3 PPG player in the AHL.

Another huge diffrence is that the NHL is much more organized then the AHL. If you got a high understanding of how certain types play the game, its possible that it won't payoff at all in the AHL, since the game is really sterotyped. Someguys are also able to thrive in a controlled enviorment, since they are really effective at breaking the pattern, I think Kristian Huselius would be a really good example, I wonder how much he would score in the AHL, he is a PPG player in the NHL right now. Its obvious when watching the WCH for example, there are some really talented players in Europe who never makes it to the NHL, playing against the best in the NHL in the WCH you can see how talented they are. But when they try in the AHL, they are pretty mediocre. At the same time some really high scoring players in the AHL can't even win spots on 4th lines in Europe.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Fish

There are actually two things that intrigue people about Jessiman (aside from all the hype that is)...one is being a #1 pick, but the other is of course his size. But Jessiman's about as far away from being an NHLer at this point as any of the North American based Rangers prospects.

At 22, there's no rush for them to try him out, the Rangers have another 3 or so years to figure out for sure that he's a bust. Besides which, bringing up a guy from the ECHL, who has been rumored to have a poor work ethic and has not been successful even at the AHL level (8 goals in 71 games so far) sets a bad precedent for other prospects in the system.

If he had natural talent you might make an exception, but Jessiman isn't good enough to get by on talent alone. At this stage the Rangers should be rewarding those who have enough talent AND work hard. Making exceptions to this rule is only going to discourage players from working hard as they see certain players being treated differently.

Also bringing up a weak prospect like Jessiman to play against a team like the Devils when the Rangers are playing for their playoff lives is not what you'd call good roster management. The chances of Jessiman being successful in the game are small, the chances of him being a failure are great...and as mentioned before there's no rush to bring him up.

Finally if you're the Rangers' management and you're deadset on giving him a look...wait to see how the season plays out. Chances are the team will either be eliminated before the end of the season, or might even have a game that is meaningless...bring up whomever you want at that point to take a look.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Pizza

In my mind there is no way you give Jessiman any minutes with the Rangers. He has not earned it. Period. You send a bid signal through the entire organization with a move like that. Enough people think he was a wasted pick any way, why do some thing as gimicky as letting him play for the Rangers?

Old
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
squilber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
I can't believe you just compared Hugh Jessiman to Tom Brady. Those players succeeded at college, the level just below the NFL. Hugh Jessiman was very good but not dominant in college. He failed to be consistent in the AHL, the parallel to college football for the NFL, and his been a point a game player in the ECHL which is like NFL Europe.
Brady was a career backup at Univ. of Michigan and was not "successful" unless you consider bench warming to be just that.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:03 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilber View Post
Brady was a career backup at Univ. of Michigan and was not "successful" unless you consider bench warming to be just that.
Quote:
Brady battled for the first string quarterback position with Drew Henson and ultimately started every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr. He was All-Big Ten both seasons and team captain his senior year. The Wolverines won 20 of 25 games when Brady started and shared the Big Ten Conference title in 1998. Brady capped that season off with a win over Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl. In the 1999 season, Brady led Michigan to an overtime win in the Orange Bowl over Alabama, throwing for 369 yards and four touchdowns.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady

Old
02-19-2007, 02:21 PM
free0717

In Baseball, alot of Prospects stink at the AAA level and come to the Majors and excell. A player like Jessiman isnt going to create on his own, however playing on a line with a creative Center like Michael Nylander will allow Hugh to do things like a Power forward such as drive to the Net, dig in the Corners, Stay in front of the Net and Screen the Goalie. Hugh has soft hands, I am thinking putting him on a line where he wont have to make plays because the center is so creative will take pressure off him. As long as he can check and hold his own defensively, I would be game to give him a shot.

Old
02-19-2007, 02:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
By all accounts, and I'm mostly going by what Edge has said, Hugh lacks vision and hockey sense. That's not the kind of thing that is going to improve by playing against better competition or at a higher level.

And I don't think you can make the comparison between hockey and football or baseball.

02-19-2007, 03:25 PM
gaglinefan

Aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
In Baseball, alot of Prospects stink at the AAA level and come to the Majors and excell. A player like Jessiman isnt going to create on his own, however playing on a line with a creative Center like Michael Nylander will allow Hugh to do things like a Power forward such as drive to the Net, dig in the Corners, Stay in front of the Net and Screen the Goalie. Hugh has soft hands, I am thinking putting him on a line where he wont have to make plays because the center is so creative will take pressure off him. As long as he can check and hold his own defensively, I would be game to give him a shot.
Slow day here, I must disagree with this thought. There are a lot of players in the minors who will never make the majors, they have jobs because you need a roster of players. Some guys blossom at whatever time because they begin to realize their potential. HJ is an unknown right now, never has realized potential at any level and must continue to work very hard to make it to the pros at the NHL level. He might be another guy with some ability but be outworked by other guys who are playing ahead of him. Jmho...

Last edited by gaglinefan: 02-19-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old
02-19-2007, 06:38 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Now that Shanny is hurt and out for a while, I would love to see Hugh Jessiman in the Lineup and give him a look next to Straka. He has been tearing up the ECHL and we dont really have another Power Forward Prospect at Hartford. What do you guys think?
Now, THIS is funny. You want to bring in a guy who cannot cut it in the AHL? You must be related to Jessiman. The only way he sees the MSG ice is if he buys a ticket just like you and me.

Old
02-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Fletch

I agree with SBoB, Edge and others...

Hugh's having trouble being effective in the AHL. He has size. He's said the right things over the year, supposedly worked hard, and really hasn't gotten very far as he's not in the ECHL. If he came to NY, he'd be absolutely lost. He doesn't have great hockey talent and will have to work hard just to stay in the AHL and be effective. Perhaps he can put it together, but it's going to take a few years before we see Jessiman in the NHL, if ever.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Question: Why is everyone so dead set on figuring out what to do with Hugh now? Okay, so he was drafted in a great year and the guys around him have progressed to the NHL. So what?

What does that have to do with the fact that Hugh is only 22 and a power forward prospect (who frequently take longer to develop)? As someone else mentioned, the Rangers have like 3 years before they should cut the cord. So leave him alone, let him progress and hopefully bring his game up until he breaks into the big club on merit... or is let go because all options have expired.

The idea of trying to "force" some sort of transformation is silly. It will either happen or it won't. Either way he eventually winds up, we aren't going to know this year.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:35 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Naa he's just not ready. I'd go with Isbister

Old
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
shoothepuck

Bring this topic up 2-3 years from now

Old
02-20-2007, 06:57 AM
DutchShamrock

http://hockeyrodent.com/

Quote:
Read along with me...

"Now that Shanny is hurt and out for a while, I would love to see Hugh Jessiman in the Lineup and give him a look next to Straka. He has been tearing up the ECHL and we dont really have another Power Forward Prospect at Hartford."

Oh, but it gets even better. The author closes with the following:

"What do you guys think?"

That's like walking alone through Watts at 2:00 in the morning with century notes dangling out of your pockets.

Slats knows that look in my eye when I've just found the weakest mind in the herd and I'm about to pounce upon the prey. Glen's giving me the thumbs up
Quote:
Now to help us out, Donnie phoned around for hours to find a Keith Tkachuk or Bill Guerin or Todd Bertuzzi to fill the power forward position. But the prices were too steep. Then we canvassed the Wolfpack and according to our resident depth chart expert - someone named free0717 - there isn't a single power forward ready for the NHL. So he's recommending we dress Hugh Jessiman to play next to Martin Straka while Petr Prucha remains on the fourth line and everybody on The Pack remains in Hartford.

"I hope that's alright with you guys."
Well on the bright side, I've never had an article written about me. So you got that going for you.

Old
02-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
What's Jeff Toms doing these days?

Old
02-20-2007, 08:12 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Read along with me...

"Now that Shanny is hurt and out for a while, I would love to see Hugh Jessiman in the Lineup and give him a look next to Straka. He has been tearing up the ECHL and we dont really have another Power Forward Prospect at Hartford."

Oh, but it gets even better. The author closes with the following:

"What do you guys think?"

That's like walking alone through Watts at 2:00 in the morning with century notes dangling out of your pockets.

Slats knows that look in my eye when I've just found the weakest mind in the herd and I'm about to pounce upon the prey. Glen's giving me the thumbs up.

Now to help us out, Donnie phoned around for hours to find a Keith Tkachuk or Bill Guerin or Todd Bertuzzi to fill the power forward position. But the prices were too steep. Then we canvassed the Wolfpack and according to our resident depth chart expert - someone named free0717 - there isn't a single power forward ready for the NHL. So he's recommending we dress Hugh Jessiman to play next to Martin Straka while Petr Prucha remains on the fourth line and everybody on The Pack remains in Hartford.

"I hope that's alright with you guys."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
http://hockeyrodent.com/
Well on the bright side, I've never had an article written about me. So you got that going for you.

Man, that's just cold.

Old
02-20-2007, 08:16 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

C'mon you cant be serious with this thread. Jessiman brought up? Get real, this guy has shown nothing to DESERVE a call up. I dont care what anyone says. He's a big guy and I just dont see him after struggling in the minors where the game is slower compared to the nhl, coming up to the Rangers and being successful sorry. Again I know he's a big guy but still sorry dont know why because he is big he should be called up, thats the ONLY reason anyone could use as to why he should be brought up but thats not good enough. There are other young guys much more deserving than him like Dubinsky, Korpedo, Byers, Dawes, etc. No to Jessiman, sorry no dice.

Old
02-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Man, that's just cold.
Guess we better start watching out what we write on this board...

Old
02-20-2007, 11:17 AM
eco's bones

Well I like Rodent's site but that's a little self serving--as at least two of his 3 reasons unlike what he says were brought up during the thread--maybe not the Guerin or Tkachuk one--and it's a little too venomous. I found the Jessiman idea absurd but everybody has their days.

I should add though that even in our recent prospect poll I thought Hugh might be a little high--he has dropped into 25-30 range with me. I think he has bust written all over him. He may yet make the NHL but IMO not as a top line player and it's going to be a while yet if it does happen.

Old
02-20-2007, 11:27 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Man, that's just cold.
I guess the Rodent has no life other than writing that POS website of his. He is probably single and never had a date in his life. I bet he is about 5'2" tall, weighs 125# and wears glasses. I bet he has never picked up a hockey stick in his life.

I wrote a little thread and spent all of 2 minutes writing it.

Hugh is a no 1 draft pick and a local kid. So I root for him. Maybe it was absurd.
But maybe it is not such a bad idea.

Old
02-20-2007, 11:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
OK, I think this thread has done downhill enough.

Closed Thread