HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Green to Hershey

Old
02-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Poke06

vCash: 500
I don't like or agree with the move. For one they had enough confidence at the begining of the year to sign him to a full contract. He's young and was bound to make mistakes and I'm sure they realized this. The team isn't going to make the playoffs so who cares if he makes mistakes. Speak to the kid, tell him it's OK, just be yourself and do what you did to get yourself here. Go out there and make it happen and have fun. No pressure...

About bringing him down to Hershey for a playoff run. I don't agree with that either. Is there not enough talent down there now to make that happen with the players that they have. If you want to send someone down send Schultz and Nyco down. They starrted with the team this year and if anyone deserves it they do. I know winning is everything but what about the guys that have busted their balls all season to have someone else come in and take their minutes away from them.

It's not right guys...

Poke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
Excellent move. He hasnt played well in quite a while -- but perhaps the same can be said about the rest of the team as well.
Perhaps? Are you kidding?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Vogel chimes in with info about the Green move and the AHL playoff situation, etc.

"...Green needs to stay in Hershey only until Feb. 27 in order to qualify for the Bears’ postseason roster. There is no games played requirement; the only requirement for Calder Cup playoff eligibility is that the player must be on the AHL team’s roster on Feb. 27. So it’s really win-win-win..."

Link to Vogel's blog
Ahh, thanks for this. I suppose for that reason The Sarge will be seeing some time in Hershey once Erskine gets back as well (which could still be tonight according to Tarik).

EDIT: Actually, if Vogel's pairings (Erskine in for Heward instead of Schultz) are true to form then Schultz would survive and someone else would be the numbers game casualty.

Last edited by Langway: 02-15-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:25 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
i was reading Tarik's blog about Green being sent down he said they'd like him to work on his offense and carrying the puck through the neutral zone. i don't see this being a bad move at all. if he does infact stay down the rest of the year then he'll get more playoff experience which is always a plus.

people need to remember he's still young and it's just a small blip on the radar right now. he'll be back

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotj08 View Post
i was reading Tarik's blog about Green being sent down he said they'd like him to work on his offense and carrying the puck through the neutral zone. i don't see this being a bad move at all. if he does infact stay down the rest of the year then he'll get more playoff experience which is always a plus.

people need to remember he's still young and it's just a small blip on the radar right now. he'll be back
I think the Caps send him down to work on his game much more than to just let him play in the AHL playoffs. If they wanted him to play in the AHL playoffs they could have sent him down after the devils game on the 25th.

So I agree with what Tarik and you say about this. He needs to work on those parts of his game, and he is still young and will be back prob better than before.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Jasper17

Its strange how a month can change things. Before Schultz stepped up to play the way and the minues he has and before Jurcina was aquired I would never even think about sending Green down at all this season.

I, like almost everyone else, love Green. Hopefully this is the best thing for him.

Old
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
DefenseDotCom

I am going against the grain on this one, ladies and gents. In a perfect world, the Caps would be going to playoffs with Green playing 15+ minutes a night. But that is not happening.

Green is getting no PK time in DC; he needs it. Green needs more PP time than he gets in DC; he will get it Hershey. Green will get valuable post-season experience in Hershey while the Caps are golfing. Green is mentally resilient and physically a workhorse. Another Calder Cup run will aid Green and the Caps and the Bears. Green will likely be back with the Caps in March, while Schultz will be back with the Bears so as to pass muster for the playoffs.

Last edited by DefenseDotCom: 02-15-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Typo - correction bolded - thanks sk8.
DefenseDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 03:03 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Its strange how a month can change things. Before Schultz stepped up to play the way and the minues he has and before Jurcina was aquired I would never even think about sending Green down at all this season.

I, like almost everyone else, love Green. Hopefully this is the best thing for him.

Quote:
Did I call you stupid or the idea of sending Green down to the minors stupid? or do you consider both the same?
decide for yourself, but I don't want to get this thread off track...your post that I was referring to in the Jurcina thread (#117): "The people who think Green could get sent down are just being stupid (sorry PSU there is no other way to say it, please don't ban me). Thats not going to happen..."

Back to the discussion of the current roster movement...I agree the primary reason is not about the AHL playoffs, but it is a piece of the puzzle taking the rest of the roster situation and Green's recent play into account, as well; and it makes sense to have Green qualified to play for Hershey in the playoffs.

and since the post appeared while I was typing; I agree with DDC although it should say post-season experience in Hershey; the specialty team minutes will be valuable to Green's continued development. I expect both Schultz and Green on Hershey's clear day roster.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
decide for yourself, but I don't want to get this thread off track...your post that I was referring to in the Jurcina thread (#117): "The people who think Green could get sent down are just being stupid (sorry PSU there is no other way to say it, please don't ban me). Thats not going to happen..."

Back to the discussion of the current roster movement...I agree the primary reason is not about the AHL playoffs, but it is a piece of the puzzle taking the rest of the roster situation and Green's recent play into account, as well; and it makes sense to have Green qualified to play for Hershey in the playoffs.
I was wrong, maybe that is why PSU didn't ban me.

At the time I didn't think their was any chance he would get sent down. However in a lame attemp to defend myself that was also before Schultz started playing a solid 20 minutes a game and before Jurcina showed me he could do anything more than be a #6 defensman in the NHL.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:48 PM
dinoflint

Green being sent down is non-issue this year. It gets him into the playoffs and helps him sort out his game.

The Caps do have a relationship with Hershey and we stole Nyco for the remainder of the year. We owe them Green for their playoff push.

I'd imagine that Fehr and Schultz are going down around Feb 25th, too. So don't be surprised when that happens, either.

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:21 PM
bigeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
something had to give. his play has fallen off lately, and it probably won't hurt him to go back down and get his minutes and confidence back up.

it's really a numbers game. we only have three guys who could go down w/out clearing waivers (well, four, but i think the ahl would fold if we sent ovy down). two of them have been playing great lately. so green's the odd man out.
But wouldn't you love to see the looks on the opponents faces

bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:39 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:

At the time I didn't think their was any chance he would get sent down. However in a lame attemp to defend myself that was also before Schultz started playing a solid 20 minutes a game and before Jurcina showed me he could do anything more than be a #6 defensman in the NHL.
Ok. And I didn't think your comment warranted banning, but I did find it entertaining that you felt the need to make the comment to PSU when you posted it. Maybe next time you will choose your words a little differently

Some quotes from Green and Hanlon about the move:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit..._update_1.html

Ididitlangway - nice catch on the updated potential pairings by Vogel

Old
02-15-2007, 05:11 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy View Post
But wouldn't you love to see the looks on the opponents faces
i'd drive to the game from south carolina.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Foy

Quote:

Maybe the real truth is that there is an idiot inside each and every one of us, and that's where Mike Green comes from.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Maybe the real truth is that there is an idiot inside each and every one of us, and that's where Mike Green comes from.

Old
02-15-2007, 05:41 PM
sk84fun_dc

As some expected, another move was made...Erskine activated, Nycholat on IR

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit...activated.html

Interesting...One would think someone would challenge this if there is not a valid reason for Nycholat to be on IR??? It does buy them more time and enable them to activate Erskine for the game.

I wonder if Heward sits as listed as a possibility in Vogel's line-ups or if they play 7D?

Old
02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Whoa!! That's deep.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 05:53 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I would have liked to keep Green up and give all Hewards minutes to Green, and tell Hershey to suck it up without him. Didn't Green already learn what it's like to win the Calder? I'd like to dump Heward on IR or try and send him to Hershey. We can pick up a Heward any day if he gets taken. Green needs to learn how to play up here not there. I thought Green warranted more PP time and responsibility, and if he failed miserably, then send him down and he wouldn't question it. I bet he is pissed.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:01 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
As some expected, another move was made...Erskine activated, Nycholat on IR

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/2007/02/erskine_activated.html

Interesting...One would think someone would challenge this if there is not a valid reason for Nycholat to be on IR??? It does buy them more time and enable them to activate Erskine for the game.

I wonder if Heward sits as listed as a possibility in Vogel's line-ups or if they play 7D?
I relate this to the scene in Training Day where Alonzo shoots Jeff. "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove"

Mafki obviously hit Nyco in the knee with a lead pipe to get Erskine back up and place Nyco on IR.

Lower body injury.

Ta da!

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Whoa!! That's deep.
That's what she said!

Old
02-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I relate this to the scene in Training Day where Alonzo shoots Jeff. "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove"

Mafki obviously hit Nyco in the knee with a lead pipe to get Erskine back up and place Nyco on IR.

Lower body injury.

Ta da!

Shoot the hostage!

Old
02-15-2007, 06:09 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
That's what she said!
THWACK!

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
THWACK!

You didn't!

Old
02-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Tinordi24*

So...I guess the Tinner was not the only one who thought Mike Green's game had REGRESSED.

This shouldnt come as a shock to anyone. He's been our worst defender over the last 20 or so games and its apparent that he is in over his head.

His confidence was shattered and hopefully he can regain some of that in the AHL.

It was the only choice to make.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:03 AM
DefenseDotCom

Green's pairing with Dean Arsene Sunday looked decent enough. Green lacked PK time in the Caps D rotation and clearly must develop that part of his game. An Arsene pairing should assure Green major PK time, while still letting Green top the Bear PP umbrella with four other forwards. With four Bear games in 5 days beginning February 21, this Hershey assignment can be a high TOI opportunity for both Green and the Bears, wholly aside from getting Green on the clear day roster and giving Green a Calder Cup tune-up and introduction with all the new Bears this season.

What happens after this month will be shaped by (i) any trade deadline events and (ii) Schultz' return to Hershey. The recent scratch of Eminger is still very, very strange - at least to me. It is hard to fathom why Eminger has been scratched, and Heward has been playing, unless a deal involving Eminger is being negotiated and/or is pending. An undisclosed injury is also possible. Eminger's game clearly seemed to have righted itself, and Eminger was an ideal choice to pair with the returning Erskine. The clouds will soon part. Or maybe not.

DefenseDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote