HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick flex quandary

Old
03-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Chip39

vCash: 500
Stick flex quandary

I have been playing for about a year now and am getting pretty good. By pretty good I mean I can play in a b/c league and at least keep up. I made a huge mistake when I bought my first stick which was a top of the line $250 stick I got off Craigslist for $50 and now that it is broken I haven't been able to find something similar on craigslist and I don't want to shell out money for a new one.

I bought a few pro stock sticks and each is a little funky to me and I am frustrated with the adjustment period so I am looking to buy some last years close outs but my flex is not available in the model I want.
Which led me to start looking this up online and now I have some questions/thoughts.

Why would your weight affect the flex? It seems it's more to do with how fast your hands are moving than how big you are. And I get that a stronger person can maybe move their hands faster than a weaker person but wouldn't that mean pitchers would be trying to bulk up like linebackers?

I am 6ft 235 and am a linebacker so I guess I should be using 100flex sticks but honestly the only time I notice them really flexing is on some harder snap shots and half slappers. Maybe it is because I am a novice that I don't realize it's flexing on my other shots. So I bought an 85 flex in a different model and I just can't get used to it. Not that I am feeling it flex too much because my shot is fairly average.

So I don't know if it is the flex or the new brand but it seems like the flex rating should have very little to do with weight and more to do with how good of a shooter you are. Or am I missing something?

Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:10 AM
ean

shots like a slapshot involve putting your weight behind the shot. which is why a stiffer stick will require more bodyweight behind it to make it flex.

In my opinion, for wristers and snappers, the proper flex is dictated more by shooting technique and strength of shooting muscles, not necessarily bodyweight.

You are a big boy, but sounds like your technique may use some improvement, as you've only played a short time. I would use whatever flex you feel comfortable with right now, but most important, I would practice practice practice. Once your technique is down getting to the right flex will have a greater effect and help take your shot to the next level.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Onetimersniper28

I'm an excellent shooter, but I struggle to use anything over 85 flex. Why ? Because I'm 6 ft 145 pounds. I'm not heavy enough to make a 100 flex stick bend. When I shoot with my 100 flex stick, all the power comes from my wrists, which results in a not-so-hard shot and sore wrists.

Give me a 75 or 85 flex stick and I'll shoot a 80 mph bomb.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Chip39

Yeah I can get a hold of one and it probably is around 80mph but seriously why bother if you can just use a smaller flex and take a half swing at it. Whats the point of the high flex other than preference?

All that being said my 100 flex stick I had a very hard shot. My 85 flex stick is so inconsistent it's driving me nuts.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
MattGTI

I'm 6'1" and 205. I don't consider myself overly strong, but I am certainly by no means weak.

I prefer a flex around 100. I don't take a ton of slappers. However, I feel my accuracy is drastically improved with a 100 flex, over an 85, and my shot just seems to have more pop on it.

My stickhandling is average at best with either, so its a moot point. To me, a 100 flex just feels better. Everyone is different though.

MattGTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I'm 6'1" and 205. I don't consider myself overly strong, but I am certainly by no means weak.

I prefer a flex around 100. I don't take a ton of slappers. However, I feel my accuracy is drastically improved with a 100 flex, over an 85, and my shot just seems to have more pop on it.

My stickhandling is average at best with either, so its a moot point. To me, a 100 flex just feels better. Everyone is different though.
At your size, 100 is the proper flex, just like I should be using something between 75 and 85.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've got some stickies at the top of the forum regarding stick selection that are worth a read.

When it comes to flex, so much of it IMO is your height, not your weight. The shorter the stick, the stiffer it feels. If you have two guys at 200 pounds, one at 5'6 and the other at 6'6 cutting off sticks to their nose, it's going to be a massive difference in flex. An 85 flex stick cut down 6" is going to feel like about 105-110 flex, and if you have to put a 6" plug in that same stick, it's going to feel like about 65-70 flex.

My general recommendations are usually:

~ 5'6 = 65 flex (intermediate)
~ 5'9 = 75 flex
~ 6'0 = 85 flex
~ 6'3 = 100 flex

That's just a starting point.

Again, you're only trying to shoot a little 6 ounce puck, you're not trying to crack the ice in half. Especially with wrist and snap shots.

If you've used 100 and 85 flex sticks and feel like you need to drop down, give it a shot. Alex Ovechkin is 6'2 and 230 pounds and used a 75 flex stick for a while.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 02:31 PM
soireeculturelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip39 View Post
So I don't know if it is the flex or the new brand but it seems like the flex rating should have very little to do with weight and more to do with how good of a shooter you are. Or am I missing something?
P.K. Subban and Alex Ovechkin are roughly the same size. one uses 105 flex with a heel curve, and the other uses a 75-85 flex with a big mid-toe curve. it depends how you like to shoot and the types of shots you like to use.

back in high school (6'0, 170lb) I played with an 80 flex and went through a period where I thought I would snap my stick in two if I leaned into it too much. turns out it was just a technique issue. Im two inches taller and 30lb heavier now, and use a 75 flex with zero problems.

soireeculturelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by soireeculturelle View Post
P.K. Subban and Alex Ovechkin are roughly the same size. one uses 105 flex with a heel curve, and the other uses a 75-85 flex with a big mid-toe curve. it depends how you like to shoot and the types of shots you like to use.

back in high school (6'0, 170lb) I played with an 80 flex and went through a period where I thought I would snap my stick in two if I leaned into it too much. turns out it was just a technique issue. Im two inches taller and 30lb heavier now, and use a 75 flex with zero problems.
It's not just a technique issue. I've snapped an 87 flex stick in two last week because I was trying to flex it as much as possible on a slapshot, and I'm much lighter than you. I can't use anything sub 75 flex.

Old
03-09-2014, 12:39 AM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

The proper flex is most accurately determined by strength, what type of shots you take most and technique, nothing else. If you really can flex a 102 easily, and you feel like it's out of control (too whippy) when you shoot, you need a 112. If you have a weak slapper and feel like you can't get proper loading on a 95, go down to an 85. It's pretty straight forward.

The reason why some 230 lb pros use an 80-85 flex is because it allows them to FLEX their stick on a quick wrister with just their bottom hand. A little extra force on a quick shot but you lose some accuracy.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Fanned On It

I'm 6'2", 165lbs, and TBH my arms are just not that strong... so I use a 77 flex APX2. With the proper technique, my snap-shots are laser-beams using this flex. The only negative I've noticed while using the 77 flex is that the stick can feel a little too whippy on one-timers, to the point where I'm afraid that I might break the stick. But I've never broken one in half or on the shaft anywhere and my one-timers are still pretty accurate/strong.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
The proper flex is most accurately determined by strength, what type of shots you take most and technique, nothing else. If you really can flex a 102 easily, and you feel like it's out of control (too whippy) when you shoot, you need a 112. If you have a weak slapper and feel like you can't get proper loading on a 95, go down to an 85. It's pretty straight forward.

The reason why some 230 lb pros use an 80-85 flex is because it allows them to FLEX their stick on a quick wrister with just their bottom hand. A little extra force on a quick shot but you lose some accuracy.
The 230 lb pros don't care if they break their sticks, but we do.

Old
03-09-2014, 12:28 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by soireeculturelle View Post

Technique is huge... I've never snapped a stick on a shot and I've only ever broke 1 stick mid game. I'm not heavy at all but I played rep my whole life and yet I see guys claiming they snap 100 flex's all the time.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 06:52 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
The 230 lb pros don't care if they break their sticks, but we do.
Exactly true. Plus, if you use something very whippy to start out with, it will feel like a wet noodle after a few weeks of use.

Old
03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I haven't found that to be the case. Rarely, if ever, do I have sticks that go soft.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
alan60

Flex versus size

"My general recommendations are usually:

~ 5'9 = 75 flex
~ 6'0 = 85 flex
~ 6'3 = 100 flex"

I find that one manufactures flex rating differs from others. I thought it was supposed to be put a certain weight (100lb) on the stick supported between 2 objects (distance ??) and the stick should flex 1".

Well I am an older player once 5'6" now probably 5'4" and 130lbs. I have a very difficult time getting a stick that I can bend unless that is a junior and I have a good game with it although the shaft is small & taking a pass I find the blade will tend to bend and lose the puck. Also, most Jrs have a smaller blade although there are some out there with just about average size. Last year I did by an Intermediate 60 flex Bauer TotalOne and the cut it to my size, well, as you can imagine, I could not flex it. I then bought a 55 flex Warrior and tested the flex where I should be placing my hands on the shaft and this stick came to be excellent for flex at their 65 rating at the point of cut, but it was very heavy for my size. This year I decided to go with a Jr Bauer Nexus 1000, 47 flex, as it was so damn light and given the fact that it was a junior it should have lots of flex. I tested the flex on the floor at the LHS & it felt OK, I guess, but after I cut 2" I had a stick that I could not flex at all on the ice. It would be cut at 65 flex mark as well. There was no comparison with the 65 flex Warrior. This Bauer again was my mistake, but I figured a junior stick just had to work as I tried their intermediate have had other junior brands before that suited. Even the LHS employee agreed with me that it was unduly stiff when put up against other juniors. It is hard to find a Junior stick for someone my light weight and height. Also, finding one with a suitable sized blade.

I did find a stick that I am comfortable with, Junior Graf G55 Supra with a 40 flex although it feels identical to my other junior (not Bauer) 50 flex sticks when I cut 3.5" off (as I like it below my chin with skates on). There again is you can't rely on the flex rating.

So, with anybody with my weight and size it may be hard to find a suitable stick. I can almost assure you that a senior stick is not going to work, and the intermediates will be a challenge except for the low flex Int Warrior. The Intermediate Sherwood has a flex free portion of about 4" that can be cut before the flex alters at all, but will that work?.

You could order your perfect stick from BASE and get their flex, but what are their flexes equivalent too?

Good luck with a stick hunt. In order to get mine, I need the low flex to height ratio, fairly normal size blade and if I could only get the extreme lightness of the Bauer Nexus 1000 I would be 100% satisfied, the Graf is not bad, but 100g heavier than the Bauer Nexus.

I feel the suggested ratings above, when it comes to short stick is tough on light players and needs to be carefully considered when purchasing. I must have spent $600 on Bauer sticks only to find that they do not suit my build and flex ratings seem to mean nothing between manufactures, so beware!

Last edited by alan60: 03-10-2014 at 05:35 PM.
alan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I haven't found that to be the case. Rarely, if ever, do I have sticks that go soft.
That doesn't really happen to high end sticks, but it's quite common for cheap composite sticks to go soft, even in the blade. You can feel the blade flex a little bit sometimes.

Old
03-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan60 View Post
"My general recommendations are usually:

~ 5'9 = 75 flex
~ 6'0 = 85 flex
~ 6'3 = 100 flex"

I find that one manufactures flex rating differs from others. I thought it was supposed to be put a certain weight (100lb) on the stick supported between 2 objects (distance ??) and the stick should flex 1".

Well I am an older player once 5'6" now probably 5'4" and 130lbs. I have a very difficult time getting a stick that I can bend unless that is a junior and o have a good game with it although the shaft is small & taking a pass I find the blade will tend to bend and lose the puck. Also, most Jrs have a smaller blade although there are some out there with just about average size. Last year I did by an Intermediate 60 flex Bauer TotalOne and the cut it to my size, well, as you can imagine, I could not flex it. I then bought a 55 flex Warrior and tested the flex where I should be placing my hands on the shaft and this stick came to be excellent for flex at their 65 rating at the point of cut, but it was very heavy for my size. This year I decided to go with a Jr Bauer Nexus 1000, 47 flex, as it was so damn light and given the fact that it was a junior it should have lots of flex. I tested the flex on the floor at the LHS & it felt OK, I guess, but after I cut 2" I had a stick that I could not flex at all on the ice. It would be cut at 65 flex mark as well. There was no comparison with the 65 flex Warrior. This Bauer again was my mistake, but I figured a junior stick just had to work as I tried their intermediate have had other junior brands before that suited. Even the LHS employee agreed with me that it was unduly stiff when put up against other juniors. It is hard to find a Junior stick for someone my light weight and height. Also, finding one with a suitable sized blade.

I did find a stick that I am comfortable with, Junior Graf G55 Supra with a 40 flex although it feels identical to my other junior (not Bauer) 50 flex sticks when I cut 3.5" off (as I like it below my chin with skates on). There again is you can't rely on the flex rating.

So, with anybody with my weight and size it may be hard to find a suitable stick. I can almost assure you that a senior stick is not going to work, and the intermediates will be a challenge except for the low flex Int Warrior. The Intermediate Sherwood has a flex free portion of about 4" that can be cut before the flex alters at all, but will that work?.

You could order your perfect stick from BASE and get their flex, but what are their flexes equivalent too?

Good luck with a stick hunt. In order to get mine, I need the low flex to height ratio, fairly normal size blade and if I could only get the extreme lightness of the Bauer Nexus 1000 I would be 100% satisfied, the Graf is not bad, but 100g heavier than the Bauer Nexus.

I feel the suggested ratings above, when it comes to short stick is tough on light players and needs to be carefully considered when purchasing. I must have spent $600 on Bauer sticks only to find that they do not suit my build and flex ratings seem to mean nothing between manufactures, so beware!
Maybe you should try a 2 piece Junior stick. They're usually longer than their OPS counterparts, which make them easier to flex for you. A 2 piece junior stick is roughly 52-54" long.

Old
03-10-2014, 07:50 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
That doesn't really happen to high end sticks, but it's quite common for cheap composite sticks to go soft, even in the blade. You can feel the blade flex a little bit sometimes.
Sorry but I HAVE to disagree. It does happen to high end sticks, especially Eastons and basically anything below 425g in my experience. It tends to be more often with low kick sticks, in my experience.

Old
03-10-2014, 08:05 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
Sorry but I HAVE to disagree. It does happen to high end sticks, especially Eastons and basically anything below 425g in my experience. It tends to be more often with low kick sticks, in my experience.
i agree i have felt it with sticks, most often with the blades. for example i had a one95 that was a little stiff for me to start but it was free so i went with it. after a few skates it has softened up a bit and felt good to me. i know some guys that go through new sticks like crazy because of a stick feeling soft

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 08:08 PM
hyster110

[QUOTE=alan60;81446855]"My general recommendations are usually:

~ 5'9 = 75 flex
~ 6'0 = 85 flex
~ 6'3 = 100 flex"

also you can consider how you shoot the puck. i power through shots (as a dman) so i prefer a 100 flex stick as an 85/87 leave my shots going to far right

*edit* i use 87 when i have my vaporXXXX sticks cause i find low kick sticks play stiffer. i use 100 on mid kick sticks

Last edited by hyster110: 03-10-2014 at 11:41 PM.
hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Chip39

Yeah my 100flex makes slap shots a hell of a lot easier to control. I got a hold of a slapper last week with my new 85 and it seriously would have gone over the glass if I was a center ice. I'm glad it was in warm ups.

Old
03-11-2014, 05:15 PM
alan60

"Maybe you should try a 2 piece Junior stick. They're usually longer than their OPS counterparts, which make them easier to flex for you. A 2 piece junior stick is roughly 52-54" long."

Thanks and good point, I have two 60 flex shafts, but once there is a blade on them they flex like the normal 50 Flex. Really what I was trying to get was a comfortable OPS for my size.

Alan

Last edited by alan60: 03-11-2014 at 06:31 PM.
alan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Jisatsu

I find different flexes are good for different uses. In high school being 5'9" and a mere 145lbs, I used 100 flex rated shafts with wood blades. I primarily used slapshots and was more of a power forward/corner grinder than anything. I preferred the stiff flex for battling in the corners and passing.

Now, 17 years later I prefer 85 flex sticks cut pretty short so roughly 95~ flex. It took awhile to get used to, feeling almost too whippy on passes and stick handling, but I use primarily snap shots and wrist shots and don't battle in the corners as much any more, due to past injuries and what not.

Height plays a factor, I'll agree, but so does strength and technique. I'm 175lbs now and can decently flex a 120 flex stick, but prefer the lower flex these days as its more gentle on my joints. Ugh, I feel old now.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan60 View Post
"Maybe you should try a 2 piece Junior stick. They're usually longer than their OPS counterparts, which make them easier to flex for you. A 2 piece junior stick is roughly 52-54" long."

Thanks and good point, I have two 60 flex shafts, but once there is a blade on them they flex like the normal 50 Flex. Really what I was trying to get was a comfortable OPS for my size.

Alan
The other solution would be to hit the gym (I need to do the same) to be able to use stiffer sticks by gaining muscle mass and strength.