HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015 Draft)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
  #276
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,421
vCash: 50
Cant wait to see him play. Looks like he is living up to expectations and then some.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:51 AM
  #277
TanksPavs
Cynical Jets Fan
 
TanksPavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
what's the latest on his injury?

TanksPavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:15 PM
  #278
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhand Shelf View Post
what's the latest on his injury?
Barzal was still scratched as of Saturday night and Konowalchuk made it sound like he won't return tomorrow either.
Quote:
Konowalchuk felt that the other injured players were close to getting back but he wasn't sure if they were "next game close".
http://mynorthwest.com/745/2431087/T...fs-in-overtime

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 02:20 AM
  #279
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
So Barzal (1G 2A) and Gropp (2G) had a good night last night with for Seattle. Last I read these two 2015 NHL draft eligible players weren't playing on the same line together. Has this changed recently and are they playing together sometimes? I noticed Barzal had the primary assist on both of Gropp's goals with one coming on the PP the other ES.

How do they compare as players? Ive only seen Gropp play once and came away really impressed. Barzal was out with an injury at the time. I'd like to know where people see Gropp being picked in relation to a guy like Barzal, who is expected to go in the top 5 in 2015?

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 06:49 AM
  #280
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
There is always so much talk about Mcdavid for the 2015 Draft. People are going to hear more and more about Barzal leading up to that draft. His skill and vision is nothing like Ive ever seen. Gropp turned down a scholarship to North Dakota to join the T-Birds(when he commited to UND, they were saying it was the biggest commitment since Toews commited to them back in his college days) Those 2 have started playing on a line together roughly 5 games ago or so and have been completely lighting it up and have turned into the top line for the Birds. Such a exciting and young duo.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:59 AM
  #281
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
There is always so much talk about Mcdavid for the 2015 Draft. People are going to hear more and more about Barzal leading up to that draft. His skill and vision is nothing like Ive ever seen. Gropp turned down a scholarship to North Dakota to join the T-Birds(when he commited to UND, they were saying it was the biggest commitment since Toews commited to them back in his college days) Those 2 have started playing on a line together roughly 5 games ago or so and have been completely lighting it up and have turned into the top line for the Birds. Such a exciting and young duo.
Yeah, almost a shame that they will end up in different NHL systems(likely).

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 09:07 AM
  #282
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Yeah, almost a shame that they will end up in different NHL systems(likely).
Sabres could possibly take both

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 09:12 AM
  #283
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Sabres could possibly take both
True, they could. I just hope the Sabre's don't do the whole Oiler thing...dressing only draft picks. Gotta fill out that roster, give the young guys some development time.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 12:17 PM
  #284
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitimes View Post
So Barzal (1G 2A) and Gropp (2G) had a good night last night with for Seattle. Last I read these two 2015 NHL draft eligible players weren't playing on the same line together. Has this changed recently and are they playing together sometimes? I noticed Barzal had the primary assist on both of Gropp's goals with one coming on the PP the other ES.

How do they compare as players? Ive only seen Gropp play once and came away really impressed. Barzal was out with an injury at the time. I'd like to know where people see Gropp being picked in relation to a guy like Barzal, who is expected to go in the top 5 in 2015?

Yup they are playing on the same line right now. Gropp Barzal Hickman.

Barzal and Gropp have been playing out of their minds recently. A Huge reason why Seattle has been surging recently (Well outside of Kozun playing out of his mind)

From Andy Eide:
Quote:
How good has the Gropp-Barzal-Hickman line been? Since being put together seven games ago the three have combined for 13 goals, 31 points and are plus-24.


Last edited by superdeluxe: 02-08-2014 at 01:22 PM.
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 12:19 PM
  #285
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Sabres could possibly take both
Sabres have 2 first round picks? Gropp was projected first round as well I believe. And the way he is playing now? I am sure he will be going up the draft boards.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 03:49 PM
  #286
Eram
Registered User
 
Eram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Sabres have 2 first round picks? Gropp was projected first round as well I believe. And the way he is playing now? I am sure he will be going up the draft boards.
Sabres have the Islanders 1st round pick in 2014 or 2015. Seeing how bad they are this year they'll probably take the pick this year and give us 2015.

Eram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 04:17 PM
  #287
TheNugeeToHall*
Draft Junkie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Sabres could possibly take both
Edmonton will race you to McDavid

TheNugeeToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:45 AM
  #288
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Been able to watch a lot of Barzal since the start of the new year and this guy is easily a step ahead on everybody in the games I watched including Holmberg when they played Spokane. His physical game is sort of overrated, won't be like Perry or Lucic in the NHL, but his skating ability and talent level reminds me of a playmaking version of Nathan MacKinnon.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:17 PM
  #289
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Been able to watch a lot of Barzal since the start of the new year and this guy is easily a step ahead on everybody in the games I watched including Holmberg when they played Spokane. His physical game is sort of overrated, won't be like Perry or Lucic in the NHL, but his skating ability and talent level reminds me of a playmaking version of Nathan MacKinnon.
People actually say he is a physical type forward haha??? He is definately not a physical forward, and if people are putting the names Perry and Lucic in the same breath as him are completely wrong. Ive been watching him play regularily at each level of hockey since he played Bantam as an underage player and his vision and play making is something Ive never seen. hmm i guess he MAY have bit Mackinnon in him but I think his vision and playmaking is just like RNH. He's been compared to the Nuge for years.. Hes the type of player that makes anyone and everyone playing with him better. He could be put on the 4th line for a year and mark my words his linemates would put up career numbers that year. I always remember Shaquille O'Neal once telling his teamates that he(Shaq) will make them all extremely rich in their next contracts because he will allow them to get more points and win games.... I think Barzal will make his teamates extremely better every league and team he plays on. I think next season as a 17 year old he is going to put up an insane amount of points... especially if Shea Theodore is returned back to the team from Anaheim


Last edited by Skinnyjimmy08: 03-10-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
  #290
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
People actually say he is a physical type forward haha??? He is definately not a physical forward, and if people are putting the names Perry and Lucic in the same breath as him are completely wrong. Ive been watching him play regularily at each level of hockey since he played Bantam as an underage player and his vision and play making is something Ive never seen. He has some Mackinnon in him I agree but I think his vision and playmaking is just like RNH. He's been compared to the Nuge for years
It might be my fault with the physicality comment.

I keep getting confused between which people keep saying is a powerforward between Barzal, Steel, and Benson. I believe Benson is the powerfoward out of the three, but wasn't Steel along the lines of a powerforward game?

Yeah his vision and playmaking is top notch, definitely along the lines of him (RNH) and Reinhart.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:31 PM
  #291
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
It might be my fault with the physicality comment.

I keep getting confused between which people keep saying is a powerforward between Barzal, Steel, and Benson. I believe Benson is the powerfoward out of the three, but wasn't Steel along the lines of a powerforward game?

Yeah his vision and playmaking is top notch, definitely along the lines of him (RNH) and Reinhart.
He's better with his body and puck protection scenarios than Nuge. He's more physical in that sense.

It's not like Perry is insanely physical anyways (have no clue where Lucic came from). He's good at using his body to protect the puck and make plays. Barzal has this ability as well.

You are right though, Benson in my limited viewings is more of a power player, I think Barzal has more skill.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:42 PM
  #292
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He's better with his body and puck protection scenarios than Nuge. He's more physical in that sense.

It's not like Perry is insanely physical anyways (have no clue where Lucic came from). He's good at using his body to protect the puck and make plays. Barzal has this ability as well.

You are right though, Benson in my limited viewings is more of a power player, I think Barzal has more skill.
You are right. Benson is the power forward. Barzal is much more skilled. I wouldn't even bother scouting Benson right now as he's so young, and a little overmatched. He currently looks like a grinder - not the top pick everyone's projecting.

Barzal's movement with the puck is exceptional in relation to the players around him. His hands and feet are always going with the puck on his stick, showcasing his high end, natural skill.

Also, I have to think that there's a valid argument out there saying close to PPG in WHL is as valuable as Eichel's dominance of USHL. Thoughts?

__________________
DRAFTBUZZ HOCKEY
Scouting the 2015 NHL Draft and Futures
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:44 PM
  #293
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
He was considered a "powerful" player in midget because he was extremely explosive and had strong legs.

Benson, while also "powerful" I wouldn't say he is a true power forward, but a bit more so than Barzal. Another guy with strong legs that can burn wide. Will throw some checks.

zjh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:52 PM
  #294
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He's better with his body and puck protection scenarios than Nuge. He's more physical in that sense.

It's not like Perry is insanely physical anyways (have no clue where Lucic came from). He's good at using his body to protect the puck and make plays. Barzal has this ability as well.

You are right though, Benson in my limited viewings is more of a power player, I think Barzal has more skill.
I mentioned Perry because he is extremely hard to bump off the puck and Lucic is the first physical player who comes to my mind as a powerforward, even though he lacks skill as the players we are comparing. So basically, the first two players who came into my head.

Agreed that he is definitely stronger than RNH when they where at the same point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
You are right. Benson is the power forward. Barzal is much more skilled. I wouldn't even bother scouting Benson right now as he's so young, and a little overmatched. He currently looks like a grinder - not the top pick everyone's projecting.

Barzal's movement with the puck is exceptional in relation to the players around him. His hands and feet are always going with the puck on his stick, showcasing his high end, natural skill.

Also, I have to think that there's a valid argument out there saying close to PPG in WHL is as valuable as Eichel's dominance of USHL. Thoughts?
Seeing both of them, and being the team at #2 I think I would still take Eichel currently. Much more of an impact player and can beat you with a whole range of offensive weapons; stronger player, better shot, and playmaking is close to Barzal. And Jack is only going to get stronger if he fully decides to take the college route. One thing though is Barzal has an underrated defensive game, saw a lot of backchecks, helping out his defensive group retain possession. Can't say for Seattle, but Mathew plays a Red Wings style of possession game with the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
He was considered a "powerful" player in midget because he was extremely explosive and had strong legs.

Benson, while also "powerful" I wouldn't say he is a true power forward, but a bit more so than Barzal. Another guy with strong legs that can burn wide. Will throw some checks.
Powerful as in skating which people confused with physicality? Because he really is a great skater.

I think Craig Button was mentioning these two as powerforwards especially Benson who he said will be the next great PF.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:00 PM
  #295
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Powerful as in skating which people confused with physicality? Because he really is a great skater.

I think Craig Button was mentioning these two as powerforwards especially Benson who he said will be the next great PF.
Others made the Toews comparison, which I agree with for Benson in terms of style. A strong player that can be successful in the dirty areas and overpower opponents. But I don't think he has the style or natural size to be a prototypical Perry-esque PF.

zjh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:00 PM
  #296
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
Is Barzal definitely projected to be a center at the pro level? Can he/ has he played wing at all?

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 11:41 PM
  #297
Devils Army
The Young Guns on D.
 
Devils Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I mentioned Perry because he is extremely hard to bump off the puck and Lucic is the first physical player who comes to my mind as a powerforward, even though he lacks skill as the players we are comparing. So basically, the first two players who came into my head.

Agreed that he is definitely stronger than RNH when they where at the same point.

Seeing both of them, and being the team at #2 I think I would still take Eichel currently. Much more of an impact player and can beat you with a whole range of offensive weapons; stronger player, better shot, and playmaking is close to Barzal. And Jack is only going to get stronger if he fully decides to take the college route. One thing though is Barzal has an underrated defensive game, saw a lot of backchecks, helping out his defensive group retain possession. Can't say for Seattle, but Mathew plays a Red Wings style of possession game with the puck.


Powerful as in skating which people confused with physicality? Because he really is a great skater.

I think Craig Button was mentioning these two as powerforwards especially Benson who he said will be the next great PF.
Or a Devils style of play

Devils Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 06:01 AM
  #298
Heraldic
Registered User
 
Heraldic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Sabres have 2 first round picks? Gropp was projected first round as well I believe. And the way he is playing now? I am sure he will be going up the draft boards.
In fact, we have three... (our own, the likely one from Islanders and St.Louis' pick as well).

So, I think I would be fine with McDavid/Eichel being the first line center and Barzal being the second line center... Then draft this Gropp guy with the St.Louis' pick to be a winger with Barzal. Reinhart/Bennett would then center the third line.

Heraldic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 06:07 AM
  #299
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,761
vCash: 500
When Seattle drops out of the WHL playoffs I'd like to see both Barzal and Gropp added to the U18 team in April.


Last edited by Mr Writer: 03-12-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:26 AM
  #300
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
When Seattle drops out of the WHL playoffs I'd like to see both Barzal and Grupp added to the U18 team in April.
I think adding Gropp would be a disservice to those 14 draft eligible. Bringing an elite forward like Barzal I understand, but Gropp is still feeling his way around the Dub.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.