HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tue., Mar. 11, 2014| Devils 2 at Flyers 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
  #176
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Agreed on this, he still has his shot and we are under utilizing it.
That G to Hartnell pass in the slot is so 2013.
Sure, Hartnell's not getting as many quality shots as he did in 2012 off that set up, but that doesn't mean it's not effective. Hartnell forces the defenders to collapse on him giving Giroux room to breathe on the wall and allowing Simmonds to be an option on the drop in the corner.

I wouldn't touch the PP. One bad game against a good PK team does not justify changing a winning formula.

Quote:
Not to mention that drop pass to
G in the defensive zone is as well.
The drop pass has been a great way to allow Giroux entry in the zone for a while. It's a much more high percentage play than dumping it in and trying to get possession or trying to jam a pass through at the blueline.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:28 PM
  #177
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
I don't mind them not calling a goal there, chances are the Devils would have scored again before we got the point anyway, we're just not meant to beat them. This is the reality
The Flyers split the season series with them 2-2 this year.....

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:32 PM
  #178
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 13,786
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Sure, Hartnell's not getting as many quality shots as he did in 2012 off that set up, but that doesn't mean it's not effective. Hartnell forces the defenders to collapse on him giving Giroux room to breathe on the wall and allowing Simmonds to be an option on the drop in the corner.

I wouldn't touch the PP. One bad game against a good PK team does not justify changing a winning formula.
They're 12th in the league overall, and only 24th best at home. There's definitely room for improvement.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:54 PM
  #179
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Watch the replay, Hartnell made an attempt to stop but Volchenkov and his leg impeded that. If this is the rule in the NHL it's a dumb one. Incidental contact happens.[/url]
good lord, i'm a huge flyers fan, too, but how anyone can say "Volchenkov and his leg impeded that." without laughing is beyond me

i wanted it to count, too ...... but there's no way it should have

it was incidental contact: thats why no penalty on Hartnell for running the goalie

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 05:12 PM
  #180
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
They're 12th in the league overall, and only 24th best at home. There's definitely room for improvement.
And you're blaming this on the top PP unit? If the second PP unit was even a marginal threat out there, the Flyers would quite easily be top five.


I'm not sure if there are stats for it, but I'd guess that the Flyers five man PP1 unit is possibly the most productive in the league outside of Pittsburgh.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 05:38 PM
  #181
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
And you're blaming this on the top PP unit? If the second PP unit was even a marginal threat out there, the Flyers would quite easily be top five.


I'm not sure if there are stats for it, but I'd guess that the Flyers five man PP1 unit is possibly the most productive in the league outside of Pittsburgh.
Probably outside of the Caps' as well.

I'd like to see Vinny in Voracek's spot, that shot would be more useful than another passer when G and Kimmo spend the entire time passing already. Plus Voracek and Streit would be a better possession pair on the 2nd unit.

Either that or swap Kimmo and Streit. But that 2nd unit is god awful, I wonder if they practice at all. None of them seem to have very defined roles other than Downie and he shouldn't be there in the first place. Schenn and Couts are too indecisive and just end up turning over the puck most of the time.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 06:43 PM
  #182
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Probably outside of the Caps' as well.

I'd like to see Vinny in Voracek's spot, that shot would be more useful than another passer when G and Kimmo spend the entire time passing already. Plus Voracek and Streit would be a better possession pair on the 2nd unit.

Either that or swap Kimmo and Streit. But that 2nd unit is god awful, I wonder if they practice at all. None of them seem to have very defined roles other than Downie and he shouldn't be there in the first place. Schenn and Couts are too indecisive and just end up turning over the puck most of the time.
... are you kidding? Lecavelier shouldn't be on any PP, let alone the 1st.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
  #183
onlylordsvsmorebp
Registered User
 
onlylordsvsmorebp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
they just need to start hitting the net on the chances we do get.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:59 PM
  #184
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Probably outside of the Caps' as well.
As a five man unit, I'm not sure. Ovechkin runs on both their units, remember. Our #1 unit is extremely efficient. They may be cold right now, but for almost three years now, they've been very successful.

Quote:
I'd like to see Vinny in Voracek's spot, that shot would be more useful than another passer when G and Kimmo spend the entire time passing already. Plus Voracek and Streit would be a better possession pair on the 2nd unit.

Either that or swap Kimmo and Streit. But that 2nd unit is god awful, I wonder if they practice at all. None of them seem to have very defined roles other than Downie and he shouldn't be there in the first place. Schenn and Couts are too indecisive and just end up turning over the puck most of the time.
I'd like to see Giroux run the full two minutes a la Ovechkin. And then run the same basic set up for PP2.

Giroux on the left wall. Read in the corner (Simmonds's spot), Schenn in the middle (Hartnell's spot), Streit up top (Timonen's spot), and Lecavalier on the right side. I don't see any reason we couldn't do this. We have quite possibly the best PP player in the league on our team; we might as well milk the **** out that advantage.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 08:27 PM
  #185
onlylordsvsmorebp
Registered User
 
onlylordsvsmorebp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
As a five man unit, I'm not sure. Ovechkin runs on both their units, remember. Our #1 unit is extremely efficient. They may be cold right now, but for almost three years now, they've been very successful.


I'd like to see Giroux run the full two minutes a la Ovechkin. And then run the same basic set up for PP2.

Giroux on the left wall. Read in the corner (Simmonds's spot), Schenn in the middle (Hartnell's spot), Streit up top (Timonen's spot), and Lecavalier on the right side. I don't see any reason we couldn't do this. We have quite possibly the best PP player in the league on our team; we might as well milk the **** out that advantage.
totally agree seeing giroux out there for full two minutes.huge improvement to overall pp.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
  #186
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 13,786
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
... are you kidding? Lecavelier shouldn't be on any PP, let alone the 1st.
He still has the best shot on the team.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 03:12 PM
  #187
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
He still has the best shot on the team.
If that were true he's have a lot more goals right now. It's not like he's playing on the 4th line, Schenn and Simmonds give him opportunities to score but he's constantly fumbling the puck away and when he does shoot it's straight into the logo.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 03:17 PM
  #188
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 13,786
vCash: 50
Is it true, and we're wasting it by playing him out of position on the left wing and only giving him second line PP time.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 03:49 PM
  #189
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,099
vCash: 500
Fact of the matter is that Vinny is at best the 9th best forward on this roster. Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, Raffl and Hartnell are all better than him right now. He might even be worse than Downie, if Downie wasn't constantly in the penalty box. Lecavalier just does not deserve any more ice time over those players whether at even strength or on the power play. Hell, I would even say that Hall is more valuable at the moment since he can at least kill penalties. Vinny brings absolutely nothing to this team.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:03 PM
  #190
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Is it true, and we're wasting it by playing him out of position on the left wing and only giving him second line PP time.
Put him in the 2C and then put Schenn on the wing, and they'll be just as invisible. I'd rather have Schenn at C than Vinny. Have Schenn develop as a center because his development is more important than finding a position for Vinny. No one can win unfortunately.

Vinny has no spot for this team, and I'd love to know what Holmgrem was thinking to sign Vinny.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:44 PM
  #191
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Is it true, and we're wasting it by playing him out of position on the left wing and only giving him second line PP time.
I agree, I'd like to see him get some time on G's right wing to see if he can use that shot better. He's got a bomb from the right circle on the PP, he should be there over Voracek on the first unit. Need someone with a shot on the umbrella, not 3 passers. Streit over Kimmo would work too.

Maybe Voracek can spark the second line as well, they need someone who can carry the puck. Can Simmonds play LW?

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:44 AM
  #192
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sewell NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,043
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I agree, I'd like to see him get some time on G's right wing to see if he can use that shot better. He's got a bomb from the right circle on the PP, he should be there over Voracek on the first unit. Need someone with a shot on the umbrella, not 3 passers. Streit over Kimmo would work too.

Maybe Voracek can spark the second line as well, they need someone who can carry the puck. Can Simmonds play LW?
If you want to do that then you do.......

Hartnell-G-Lecavalier
Raffl-Schenn-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Vandevelde-Hall-Downie

I think Simmonds would spark some offense from that line, besides Downie is useless, let's be real here, he may be on the "shutdown" line but the only reason its a shutdown line is because of Read and Couturier. Put Voracek on a line with Schenn and give Raffl another look in a top 9 role. Then you have G who can produce with anyone. Let Lecavalier go back to where he wants to be and hope it sparks something. Hartnell is Hartnell. In this scenario everyone is playing where they want to play except Read and Downie. Who the **** cares where Downie plays hes a plug and I would rather dress Vandevelde and McGinn then that waste of space. And Read seems to have no problems playing LW. I like him there it opens up his offense when he's coming in off the rush and he doesn't have a bad one-t. He likes to shoot and I think the off-wing serves him well in that regard.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.