HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2014, 01:10 PM
  #976
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,578
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaak16 View Post
No worries. They can't change the goal posts mid season, and going forward I'm going to assume it gives us a better chance at another high pick if we are a bubble team. Win win as an Oiler fan.
Sure they can. Don't you remember when they changed the draft order for playoff teams from being slotted by regular season finish (except the SCW) to playoff finish mid season? Funny how that happened the very season Burke traded 2 1st round picks to the Oilers in the Pronger deal and it was him who suggested it.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
  #977
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Dang.

I really didn't think it was possible we could get Ekblad or Reinhart and even Bennet seemed a long shot. Our team on paper is just too good to be dead last or second last again. So I finally start actually hoping our team will lose enough to stay top 3 for a great pick and now they are on pace to pop right out of the bottom 5.

Since the new year 10 wins 11 losses and 3 OTL. Damn near 500 hockey.

If I cherry pick our first big wining streak of the year. Aka when we picked up Scrivens, we are 8 wins 3 losses and 2 OTL.

Aka... we are pooched if we continue at even remotely the same pace as we have been in the new year.

I do not see Buffalo winning more than a couple games the rest of this year, same with the Isles and the Flames not many more.

Florida has improved but I doubt they will stay ahead at the rate we are winning.

I hate winning at this time of the year. Its pointless. Our team is still playing terrible but our opponents just don't care either because they are either in the playoffs already or well out as well.

Aerchon is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 01:34 PM
  #978
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Dang.

I really didn't think it was possible we could get Ekblad or Reinhart and even Bennet seemed a long shot. Our team on paper is just too good to be dead last or second last again. So I finally start actually hoping our team will lose enough to stay top 3 for a great pick and now they are on pace to pop right out of the bottom 5.

Since the new year 10 wins 11 losses and 3 OTL. Damn near 500 hockey.

If I cherry pick our first big wining streak of the year. Aka when we picked up Scrivens, we are 8 wins 3 losses and 2 OTL.

Aka... we are pooched if we continue at even remotely the same pace as we have been in the new year.

I do not see Buffalo winning more than a couple games the rest of this year, same with the Isles and the Flames not many more.

Florida has improved but I doubt they will stay ahead at the rate we are winning.

I hate winning at this time of the year. Its pointless. Our team is still playing terrible but our opponents just don't care either because they are either in the playoffs already or well out as well.
If our team adds one of the big wingers (Dal Colle or Ritchie) it is still OK.

I think that it would be tough mathematically to hit 6th overall.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 04:30 PM
  #979
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 15s
Sam Reinhart (183 lbs) is heckuva C talent but Oilers want D-man Aaron Ekblad or big German-born C Leon Draisaitl in June draft.#oilers.

I'm all for Draisaitl, hope they are considering Bennett as well.

Lindo is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 04:32 PM
  #980
millpoo
Registered User
 
millpoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ST. A
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo View Post
Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 15s
Sam Reinhart (183 lbs) is heckuva C talent but Oilers want D-man Aaron Ekblad or big German-born C Leon Draisaitl in June draft.#oilers.

I'm all for Draisaitl, hope they are considering Bennett as well.
With MacT back at the helm, I think Matty has re-gained some credibility in these tidbits.

Bennet will surely go before Drasaitl.

millpoo is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 04:43 PM
  #981
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo View Post
Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 15s
Sam Reinhart (183 lbs) is heckuva C talent but Oilers want D-man Aaron Ekblad or big German-born C Leon Draisaitl in June draft.#oilers.

I'm all for Draisaitl, hope they are considering Bennett as well.
I might as well try to like Draisaitl, because I know that if Ekblad isn't an Oiler, he will be!

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:29 PM
  #982
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I might as well try to like Draisaitl, because I know that if Ekblad isn't an Oiler, he will be!
They will definitely see a lot of him of the Oil Kings end up playing PA in the playoffs. I would think that Edmonton beats Red Deer while PA gets past the blades.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:31 PM
  #983
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
With MacT back at the helm, I think Matty has re-gained some credibility in these tidbits.

Bennet will surely go before Drasaitl.
Not if we're picking at 3 according to that. I don't agree with it, but this is not the first time someone connected to the Oil has mentioned his name. If the Oil brass is that high on Draisaitl I hope we at least trade back and gain some assets. That guy should not be picked before 4.

Roof Daddy is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:36 PM
  #984
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 580
Why do the Oilers always pick the guys I hate.

raab is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
  #985
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Not if we're picking at 3 according to that. I don't agree with it, but this is not the first time someone connected to the Oil has mentioned his name. If the Oil brass is that high on Draisaitl I hope we at least trade back and gain some assets. That guy should not be picked before 4.
I'm not sure that his stock doesn't rise that high prior to the draft. He has been on a tear and uses his big frame quite well, although not to hit.

ponokanocker is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:45 PM
  #986
Mr Positive
Registered User
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,658
vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo View Post
Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 15s
Sam Reinhart (183 lbs) is heckuva C talent but Oilers want D-man Aaron Ekblad or big German-born C Leon Draisaitl in June draft.#oilers.

I'm all for Draisaitl, hope they are considering Bennett as well.
Bennett? Another winger? You can't be serious.

Our needs are 2c and 1d. We are drafting based on need from now on

Mr Positive is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:49 PM
  #987
iCanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Bennett? Another winger? You can't be serious.

Our needs are 2c and 1d. We are drafting based on need from now on
Bennett is a Center.


iCanada is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:49 PM
  #988
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Bennett? Another winger? You can't be serious.

Our needs are 2c and 1d. We are drafting based on need from now on
Most places I look, Bennett is listed as a center.

ponokanocker is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:50 PM
  #989
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Bennett? Another winger? You can't be serious.

Our needs are 2c and 1d. We are drafting based on need from now on
Bennett's a center, and a damn good one, better then the german for sure....

raab is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:53 PM
  #990
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 580
I'm honestly starting to HATE Stu Macgregor and the Oiler's. I mean did they not learn anything from the friggen Pouliot over Parise debacle of 2003. It's a joke if they pick this guy, another useless floater who only got picked because of Stu's obvious biased toward WHL guys.

raab is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 06:03 PM
  #991
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,613
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I'm honestly starting to HATE Stu Macgregor and the Oiler's. I mean did they not learn anything from the friggen Pouliot over Parise debacle of 2003. It's a joke if they pick this guy, another useless floater who only got picked because of Stu's obvious biased toward WHL guys.
It explains Nurse, Hall and Yakupov perfectly.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 06:06 PM
  #992
Shizuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In purgatory
Posts: 1,634
vCash: 500
I haven't really been too impressed with Draisaitl in the albeit limited viewings of the player. Matheson called Hemsky to Pitts or Phx, but he ended up in Ott. I dunno if this is more smokescreening from MacT, or a legitimate call. I'd be more inclined to hear what Stauffer (yes, I know...I know) had to say if someone were to tweet him and ask what he thought the Oilers would do, whom they would draft, in June.

Anyone care to ask him?

*edit* furthermore, a quote from Guy Flaming re: Draisaitl, in the player's own words:

Very candid response from Draisaitl there when I asked about the weak part of his game. Admitted his defensive game is not great and skating

— Guy Flaming (@TPS_Guy) February 15, 2014

Shizuka is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 06:20 PM
  #993
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It explains Nurse, Hall and Yakupov perfectly.
Stu wanted Murray and wanted him taken 1st overall in the Yakupov year if the rumors are true. And look at our 2nd and 3rd round picks since 2010. How many of them ended up playing in the Dub? Pitlick, Marincin, Musil, Moroz, Ewanyk, just off the top of my head.

raab is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 06:21 PM
  #994
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,993
vCash: 50
I don't think we have to worry too much about the Oilers rising too far up in the standings.

They play 12 of their final 16 games vs Western teams and they have a terrible record vs Western teams.

road St Louis... loss
road Detroit... probable loss
road Carolina.. could go either way... call it 1 point
home Nashville... leaning towards a loss... but call it 1 point
home Buffalo.. should get a win... 2 pts
home Calgary... too close to call... 1 pt
home SanJose... loss
home Anaheim... loss
home NYR.. could go either way... 1 pt
road San Jose... loss
road Anaheim... loss
road Phoenix... probable loss but call it 1 pt
home Anaheim... loss
home Colorado... loss
home Los Angeles... loss
home Vancouver... with the way Vancouver is trending.. call it a win... 2 pts but this could go either way as well.

So adding that all up... 9 pts is about what to expect in their last 16 games.

Now could they chalk up an extra win or 2 in there and/or a couple OT/SO pts... sure but that still would only give them maybe 13 pts in their last 16 games.

I don't think they rise above 28th although they could easily draft #4 if a team from #17-#27 wins the lottery.

I think I'd have to agree as well that if they do draft #4... Draisaitl would likely be firmly in their sights.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 06:33 PM
  #995
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,635
vCash: 500
In the 4-5 slots, I would be fine with Draisaitl. Higher than that? No way.

Digger12 is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 07:00 PM
  #996
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Stu wanted Murray and wanted him taken 1st overall in the Yakupov year if the rumors are true. And look at our 2nd and 3rd round picks since 2010. How many of them ended up playing in the Dub? Pitlick, Marincin, Musil, Moroz, Ewanyk, just off the top of my head.
I'm really starting to think he was correct in wanting Murray. And what is wrong the list of players you have there?

Marincin is looking like a future top 4 guy
Pitlick is playing very well in AHL and showed great energy up here
Moroz is having a heck of a year in WHL

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 07:13 PM
  #997
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Bennett? Another winger? You can't be serious.

Our needs are 2c and 1d. We are drafting based on need from now on
He's a C. And he's just what we need.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 07:22 PM
  #998
Mr Positive
Registered User
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,658
vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Bennett is a Center.

He must have moved to center at some point this season because he was a LWer in all his highlights to start the season. He's also still listed as a LWer at HF and hockeydb. Is he a real center or a huberdeau type? Huberdeau was marketed as a center too but was a failure there.

I saw some recent highlights of him and I don't get what the big deal is, and he seems like he might slide back to wing at the NHL like Huberdeau did.

I just want the right center, even if he isn't the best one available.

Mr Positive is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 07:47 PM
  #999
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
FINE! We'll take the big lazy german.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 08:15 PM
  #1000
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
our luck...Bennett turns out to be Steve Kelly

Draisaitl turns our to be Kopitar

CantHaveTkachev is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.