Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Radek Faksa

Old
03-12-2014, 07:24 PM
haf

vCash: 500
And with the number of young guys we have who display inferior skating, I think we should hire a full time skating coach for the summer. Chiasson, Ritchie, Faksa, Stransky. Let's teach these kids to skate.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Anhero

I have a good feeling about Faksa. That kid has worked so hard to get where he is.

Anhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
It can't be a long list. I don't really like the argument that a guy is just built better for the pros than juniors. Did a 5 minute search and came back with two guys who are good players but who didn't have huge numbers in juniors, Wayne Simmonds and Andrew Ladd. There may be more but there can't be many. Expecting more than a 3rd line center right now is pretty optimistic, but not completely unrealistic.
Well Curtis McKenzie is being described as one of those types of players.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I think he's a 3C/4C tweener. He's just never shown the scoring prowess to make me think yeah, he's a 30+ point guy. Most 3C player aren't. They're putting up points like Roussel and Garbutt and even Eakin. If he turns out like that, then good for him but there are serious question marks about his game.

To be fair, Dallas has been really good about finding non-prodigious CHL/college guys and making them into viable NHL options. Garbutt, Roussel and maybe McKenzie fit that but also keep in mind even Fiddler and Sceviour both got over 1 point/game in their final WHL seasons. Faska's numbers are going the other way despite getting traded to a better team. You can't look at his numbers in a vacuum and say he's going to succeed or fail but there is cause for worry. See Glennie.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 10:03 PM
K19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I think he's a 3C/4C tweener. He's just never shown the scoring prowess to make me think yeah, he's a 30+ point guy. Most 3C player aren't. They're putting up points like Roussel and Garbutt and even Eakin. If he turns out like that, then good for him but there are serious question marks about his game.

To be fair, Dallas has been really good about finding non-prodigious CHL/college guys and making them into viable NHL options. Garbutt, Roussel and maybe McKenzie fit that but also keep in mind even Fiddler and Sceviour both got over 1 point/game in their final WHL seasons. Faska's numbers are going the other way despite getting traded to a better team. You can't look at his numbers in a vacuum and say he's going to succeed or fail but there is cause for worry. See Glennie.
4C? Surely you jest.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 10:17 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
And with the number of young guys we have who display inferior skating, I think we should hire a full time skating coach for the summer. Chiasson, Ritchie, Faksa, Stransky. Let's teach these kids to skate.
Since when does Ritchie have inferior skating?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Chiasson's skating has improved immensely. He's never going to beat Cole in a race but he's gotten way better. Sceviour isn't a burner but he can get up and down the ice. All we're looking for is improvement and supposedly Stransky has become better as well. A good power skating regimen for these guys this summer wouldn't be a bad thing but it should also be implemented on a skater by skater basis because their strides are different and what works for one won't work for another.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 12:54 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Well Curtis McKenzie is being described as one of those types of players.
We have yet to see what McKenzie can do in the NHL. I like the path he's on but I realize that his stats may be inflated due to his linemates.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Bluesoma

Ooooo Texas Stars talk!

Ok so.....Ritchie has no issues with skating. He's not quick but he's incredibly strong on his skates.

All those with issues (Jokipakka, Stransky being the two prime targets here) have improved greatly this season. Jokipakka used to look like Sonic the Hedgehog with his legs pumping but him barely moving until finally he reached a pretty quick speed (ie, his acceleration sucked ass). Now he's much better and smoother getting up to speed. Stransky has improved greatly, he used to be like a leaf out there getting blown down everytime he was touched and him trying to turn was like watching an 18 wheeler trying to do a 3 point turn. Now he's almost Ritchie like in his strength on skates, a little better turning but he's still pretty damn slow.

From what I remember watching Faksa in the two games he played in Cedar Park last year, he wasn't bad. More importantly he didn't look out of place and had no issues using his body to crash into a pile and dig for the puck. He didn't strike me as the skillful type player.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 10:03 AM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Since when does Ritchie have inferior skating?
coming with the caveat that i haven't seen him in a while (since beginning of season)...

Ritchie is balanced but plodding. no burst or acceleration. a lumbering straight line stride. Again, he has balance and he can lower his should and power around a corner, but that move won't consistently work in the nhl against bigger defenseman. If Chiasson was even a half step quicker, he would be deadly. I don't think speed is the problem with Ritchie but foot speed. He has very little.

I hope I am wrong and it is just a young age with a big body kind of thing and his dexterity just needs to catch up, but he is not quick and gets beaten to the play down low a lot. No quickness.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Bluesoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
coming with the caveat that i haven't seen him in a while (since beginning of season)...

Ritchie is balanced but plodding. no burst or acceleration. a lumbering straight line stride. Again, he has balance and he can lower his should and power around a corner, but that move won't consistently work in the nhl against bigger defenseman. If Chiasson was even a half step quicker, he would be deadly. I don't think speed is the problem with Ritchie but foot speed. He has very little.

I hope I am wrong and it is just a young age with a big body kind of thing and his dexterity just needs to catch up, but he is not quick and gets beaten to the play down low a lot. No quickness.
For some reason I'm having a brain fart on how Ritchie's skating looked last night (maybe jsut want to forget that game) or even recently. He still uses his body well but I think he's gotten better at the quickness down low and through a crowd. There's been a few moments when he went through the slot and I thought he was Dowling for a second with him just dancing through the opposing team.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
We have yet to see what McKenzie can do in the NHL. I like the path he's on but I realize that his stats may be inflated due to his linemates.
His stats are definitely being inflated by his linemates. There is no maybe about it.

He's playing with two veteran AHL players on the top line down there. I hope for the best regarding him, but in no way would I take the stats as a sign of how NHL-ready he is or how good he will be in the NHL.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Stars90

THN did their 2012 re-draft today. Faksa did not fare very well.

falls/http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/le...ses-who-falls/

Last edited by Stars90: 04-02-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Grammar
Stars90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Sports

Faksa to Texaaas.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:50 AM
K19*

How does he compare to Holik? Handzus? Hanzal? Eller?

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:03 PM
john skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
How does he compare to Holik? Handzus? Hanzal? Eller?
I mean yeah, he seems to be in that mold. But it really is yet to be determined if he has anywhere near the skill or ability to play the pro game at the level those guys did or do. Hopefully he has a good run down in Cedar Park. Not holding my breath though.

john skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2015, 10:39 AM
BigG44

per Stepneski via Twitter

Faksa had shoulder surgery on Friday. Some of the AHL media speculated earlier last week that this was likely a long term injury, and Mark confirmed at that time that's the information he heard as well.

His season could be over.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2015, 11:46 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
per Stepneski via Twitter

Faksa had shoulder surgery on Friday. Some of the AHL media speculated earlier last week that this was likely a long term injury, and Mark confirmed at that time that's the information he heard as well.

His season could be over.
I saw him wearing a sling at the AAC a few games ago. Sucks.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Stars90

Do we know if that was a nagging thing or a specific injury? If it was nagging him all season it could explain his supposed drop-off after such a promising Spring.

Old
01-12-2015, 12:58 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars90 View Post
Do we know if that was a nagging thing or a specific injury? If it was nagging him all season it could explain his supposed drop-off after such a promising Spring.
He didn't have a drop off from the playoffs to this regular season. He wasn't really scoring during either. The playoffs last year and most of this year he's been the strongest defensive center taking key faceoffs, playing a big role on the PK, and he's good at creating offensive zone time. He wasn't a finisher at either point. His role though as a shutdown center increased where they just trusted him more and more.

The drop off you're talking about was just hope that he'd start scoring more. It never materialized, but he for sure did not regress. It's still disappointing though that the offense only appears in spurts, but the positive sign is that when Dowling and Morin were out he did respond by scoring a bit more.

Old
01-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Entirely possible that a nagging shoulder injury was holding him back from producing more.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2015, 02:44 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Entirely possible that a nagging shoulder injury was holding him back from producing more.
It's possible, but if you watched games he's not holding anything back including hitting. Nothing from watching him from game to game IMO suggested he was playing hurt for most of the season. He might have tried to a play the last few games to see if he could play through it, but like I said ... it's probably just wishful thinking to try and blame his production on anything like an injury.

The guy played at a high level defensively from joining the team in the spring right on through camp and the start of this season with almost no hint of injury. The most reasonable explanation is that he was injured recently or at least in the past few weeks ... not likely months.

Old
01-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Stars90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
He didn't have a drop off from the playoffs to this regular season. He wasn't really scoring during either. The playoffs last year and most of this year he's been the strongest defensive center taking key faceoffs, playing a big role on the PK, and he's good at creating offensive zone time. He wasn't a finisher at either point. His role though as a shutdown center increased where they just trusted him more and more.

The drop off you're talking about was just hope that he'd start scoring more. It never materialized, but he for sure did not regress. It's still disappointing though that the offense only appears in spurts, but the positive sign is that when Dowling and Morin were out he did respond by scoring a bit more.
I actually wasn't really talking about offensive output, but more that I could have sworn I heard/read that he wasn't being relied upon by Laxdall in the same way as under Willie. If that's not the case that's music to my ears. Shame about the surgery especially since shoulders have a habit of acting up again. Let's hope this is a one-and-done and they keep him with the big club for a bit to learn and hangout out in ESL class with Val.

Old
01-13-2015, 08:39 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars90 View Post
I actually wasn't really talking about offensive output, but more that I could have sworn I heard/read that he wasn't being relied upon by Laxdall in the same way as under Willie. If that's not the case that's music to my ears. Shame about the surgery especially since shoulders have a habit of acting up again. Let's hope this is a one-and-done and they keep him with the big club for a bit to learn and hangout out in ESL class with Val.
Yeah it's good news then because Laxdall is playing as a traditional 3rd line checking center where as Willie had him as a really good 4th line center. This year Faksa was matched up most games with the other team's top line, and his role for sure took a big step forward.

He's going to be a pretty big loss. Peters is a good defensive center though, but he seems to be the guy Laxdal trusts least. Willie played Peters all year essentially until Faksa pushed him out, but Laxdall seems to prefer Smith and Root (two newcomers) even ahead of Peters. He's mostly been relegated to a rotating scratch until the call ups and injuries occurred.