HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
*edit* furthermore, a quote from Guy Flaming re: Draisaitl, in the player's own words:

Very candid response from Draisaitl there when I asked about the weak part of his game. Admitted his defensive game is not great and skating

— Guy Flaming (@TPS_Guy) February 15, 2014
Looking at some vidoes of him, his skating looks quite fluid and very confident with the puck on his stick. Definitely a better skater than Eberle was in junior, at any rate.

I dunno, obviously there's some concerns with what he's got between his ears and if he could learn the defensive game, but in terms of pure talent with good (not great, but good) size he's right up there with anyone in this draft class.

If we're looking at former PA players, in terms of how they looked in junior he reminds me of a young Mike Modano...not as good obviously as Modano when he was a dominant 120 point player in the dub in his draft year, but I can't help but see similarities.

He's a very tempting pick if we're selecting outside the top 3...but then so was Jason BonBon, and we all know how that turned out.

Old
03-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Kovacs

I would still rather have Bennett but Draisaitl looks very promising as well.

Say we end up drafting at #4 and somehow Reinhart is still on the table, based on what we've heard would Stu take Draisaitl over Reinhart?

Old
03-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Toydarian

The good news is EDM won't have to draft a winger.

Old
03-12-2014, 08:39 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
FINE! We'll take the big lazy german.
He is not lazy per say... more like Getzlaf... so big rangy and so skilled with the puck he does not really have to push to get results... but he gets them... like a young Getz he is a - skater right now... does not get back to his end with as much effort as you would like... but I see him and I see a powerful man with NHL skills and body... much more than can be said for much of our top six...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisatl-Yakupov

I would be fine with that... I think low end he is a Viktor Kozlov type... who at his peak even though he was frustrating chipped in 50 A 70 pts... just has all the tools to find himself on the scoresheet consistently even if his own end eludes him... best case well I mentioned Getzlaf... you will see that when the games get important Draisatl rises up and control shifts and periods... has that kind of intense inner pride and passion to bull the net when stirred... again something we seem to lack

Old
03-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
He is not lazy per say... more like Getzlaf... so big rangy and so skilled with the puck he does not really have to push to get results... but he gets them... like a young Getz he is a - skater right now... does not get back to his end with as much effort as you would like... but I see him and I see a powerful man with NHL skills and body... much more than can be said for much of our top six...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisatl-Yakupov

I would be fine with that... I think low end he is a Viktor Kozlov type... who at his peak even though he was frustrating chipped in 50 A 70 pts... just has all the tools to find himself on the scoresheet consistently even if his own end eludes him... best case well I mentioned Getzlaf... you will see that when the games get important Draisatl rises up and control shifts and periods... has that kind of intense inner pride and passion to bull the net when stirred... again something we seem to lack
A lot of people considered Getzlaf to be lazy in his draft year, with the talent he had, he should of put up way better numbers then he actually did.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Lindo

I think that Draisaitl's size (6'1 209) will be a big factor when it comes to Oiler's management.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Pablo Aimar

Since when is 6'1 200lbs a "big" centre? Getzlaf is 6'4, so was Kozlov. Draisaitl is 1 inch taller than Bennett and the same height as Reinhart.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Stu wanted Murray and wanted him taken 1st overall in the Yakupov year if the rumors are true. And look at our 2nd and 3rd round picks since 2010. How many of them ended up playing in the Dub? Pitlick, Marincin, Musil, Moroz, Ewanyk, just off the top of my head.
This is just speculation. Nobody has ever been able to prove this.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:25 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Since when is 6'1 200lbs a "big" centre? Getzlaf is 6'4, so was Kozlov. Draisaitl is 1 inch taller than Bennett and the same height as Reinhart.
210 lbs is pretty big for a 17 year old kid. He's 30 lbs heavier than the other top centers.

I had a laugh at some posters (Raab in particular) losing their marbles over a Matheson tweet about the draft in mid March. Don't ever change HFOil.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
He must have moved to center at some point this season because he was a LWer in all his highlights to start the season. He's also still listed as a LWer at HF and hockeydb. Is he a real center or a huberdeau type? Huberdeau was marketed as a center too but was a failure there.

I saw some recent highlights of him and I don't get what the big deal is, and he seems like he might slide back to wing at the NHL like Huberdeau did.

I just want the right center, even if he isn't the best one available.
He hasn't played wing since midget where McDavid played center on the same line. I forget which poster mentioned this in the prospects forum, but he said he was a Frontenacs season ticket holder and that Bennett has been a C his entire junior career.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
210 lbs is pretty big for a 17 year old kid. He's 30 lbs heavier than the other top centers.
On HockeyDB he is listed at 198, must be out of date. He is also 18, 8 months older than Bennett. Whenever I see people talk about taking a guy because of size I get flashbacks to Parise/Pouliot. Don't want to see that **** again.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo View Post
I think that Draisaitl's size (6'1 209) will be a big factor when it comes to Oiler's management.
To be honest I think that's pretty much the only attractive factor judging by the apparent lack of defensive awareness/effort and not to mention despite his build he isn't known for physical play.

Sure he would add size to the top 6 in a big way, but what use it that if he doesn't use it to his advantage? And how does he complement our forward group if like the rest of them defense isn't much of a priority?

Big bodies that can score are always attractive, but for every player like Getzlaf who matures and learns to put in a better effort than they did in junior, there's many more who don't. For that reason Draisaitl just seems like too big of a risk to me.

For me right now:
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart/Bennet pretty interchangeable
3. Seriously try to trade/package the pick for a top pairing D or 2C with size.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:37 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
On HockeyDB he is listed at 198, must be out of date. He is also 18, 8 months older than Bennett. Whenever I see people talk about taking a guy because of size I get flashbacks to Parise/Pouliot. Don't want to see that **** again.
He's 209 now.
Pouliot was a product of Crosby in junior. Draisaitl is all on his own in PA. Big difference.

Also, why does he have to be the next Pouliot? He could also be the next Kopitar or Thornton and Bennett could be the next Brule.
I would also take Bennett over Draisaitl but I don't understand why he's being dismissed as a bum by some of you.
He's a big, very skilled center who needs to work on his skating and defensive game. This isn't unusual for highly regarded big kids.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
shoyen

Send a message via ICQ to shoyen
Quote:
He's 209 now.
Pouliot was a product of Crosby in junior. Draisaitl is all on his own in PA. Big difference.

Also, why does he have to be the next Pouliot? He could also be the next Kopitar or Thornton and Bennett could be the next Brule.
I would also take Bennett over Draisaitl but I don't understand why he's being dismissed as a bum by some of you.
He's a big, very skilled center who needs to work on his skating and defensive game. This isn't unusual for highly regarded big kids.

Crosby wasn't playing with Pouliot in his draft year (he came after).

Old
03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:

Not dismissing him at all, I just haven't heard a guy who is 6'1 be called a big centre before, although the weight is obviously meaningful. I do object to the idea (not necessarily stated explicitly by anyone) that they have to take this guy because "we have enough small forwards". That the same reasoning they gave for passing on Parise. If they take Draisaitl because they simply think he is the best prospect, then fine.

Old
03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This is just speculation. Nobody has ever been able to prove this.
We don't know who Stu wanted specifically but here's what Bob McKenzie had to say :

He's pretty much the most reliable source there is.

The "higher authority" could very well be Stu in this case but I have a pretty good feeling that it was management or ownership instead.

Old
03-12-2014, 10:20 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Not dismissing him at all, I just haven't heard a guy who is 6'1 be called a big centre before, although the weight is obviously meaningful. I do object to the idea (not necessarily stated explicitly by anyone) that they have to take this guy because "we have enough small forwards". That the same reasoning they gave for passing on Parise. If they take Draisaitl because they simply think he is the best prospect, then fine.
When I think of "big" center, I think of weight moreso than height. If he was 6'4 but a stringbean, I don't consider that a big center. If he doesn't play big, then it really doesn't matter how big he is. Apparently, he's not too physical but he's great at protecting the puck.

In any event, I agree that taking him just because he's big would be stupid but he's not highly rated just because he's big. He's one of the elite offensive players of this draft class.
I value Reinhart and Bennett higher though because of their overall game. I think the Oilers need a center regardless of size who can play well at both ends of the rink moreso than a center who is big and is pretty one dimensional.

Old
03-12-2014, 10:33 PM
40oz

I haven't seen as much Draisatil as others on this board to comment on his defense and drive. But it's hard to deny how much he's elevated his game for PA's playoff push.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:46 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
I've seen reports of him being 6'2" and 210lbs already. I'm really interested to see what him comes in at during the combine.

Alex Galchenyuk is considered a big center and he's probably the same height.

I see him having the same kind of body as a Landeskog. He's hard to move off the puck and is, from what I hear, an absolute gym rat.

It's hard to know for sure when you just see games from the stands and the television. I can't say I've ever stood toe to toe with the kid.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Shizuka

Well just an update, but Draisaitl's PA Raiders were crushed by the Pats 7-1 tonight. Amazingly he was just a -1. Reinhart had a couple of assists for Kootenay in their loss to Red Deer. Bennett has been suspended 5 games for a crosscheck to a player, so he's MIA. Ekblad had 1 assist and was +4 in Barrie's 7-5 victory tonight.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:52 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Well I think we are geting one of Ekblad, Bennet, Rienhard, Draisatl, or Dal Collle. It seems closer we get to the draft no one can tell the diff between them. which is cool. WE will take what we can get.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:53 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
When I think of "big" center, I think of weight moreso than height. If he was 6'4 but a stringbean, I don't consider that a big center. If he doesn't play big, then it really doesn't matter how big he is. Apparently, he's not too physical but he's great at protecting the puck.

In any event, I agree that taking him just because he's big would be stupid but he's not highly rated just because he's big. He's one of the elite offensive players of this draft class.
I value Reinhart and Bennett higher though because of their overall game. I think the Oilers need a center regardless of size who can play well at both ends of the rink moreso than a center who is big and is pretty one dimensional.
It's not like we are talking about a 50 point center. The kid has 99 points in just 62 games in the WHL. By contrast, RNH had 106 points in 69 games played. So essentially he has 7 less points in 7 less games.

Old
03-13-2014, 12:38 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

people discounting Draisaitl are hilarious

this is a guy who is 30 POINTS ahead of his next teammate and 34 points ahead the next forward on a poor PA team.

Reinhart has Jaden Descheneau to play with (94 points) and while Bennett is 22 points ahead of the next player on his team, the Frontenacs are a very good club

safe to say Draisaitl is doing it all up front in PA

Old
03-13-2014, 12:47 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
people discounting Draisaitl are hilarious

this is a guy who is 30 POINTS ahead of his next teammate and 34 points ahead the next forward on a poor PA team.

Reinhart has Jaden Descheneau to play with (94 points) and while Bennett is 22 points ahead of the next player on his team, the Frontenacs are a very good club

safe to say Draisaitl is doing it all up front in PA
Well I don't think many are saying he's a dog and not to take him at all... (well I suppose some may say that) but I think the majority just would obviously prefer Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett if given the choice.

Personally I think it would be hard to pass on Draisaitl if they chose 4th and those other 3 were off the board. I'd personally have to choose between Ritchie and Draisaitl at that point... 2 good options and while I lean towards Ritchie at #4... I certainly could see a very strong argument for taking Draisaitl there. He has a very high upside and if he was a better skater RIGHT NOW we'd probably see him talked about as a #1 pick... probably a Nathan MacKinnon type talent.

Old
03-13-2014, 12:53 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well I don't think many are saying he's a dog and not to take him at all... (well I suppose some may say that) but I think the majority just would obviously prefer Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett if given the choice.

Personally I think it would be hard to pass on Draisaitl if they chose 4th and those other 3 were off the board. I'd personally have to choose between Ritchie and Draisaitl at that point... 2 good options and while I lean towards Ritchie at #4... I certainly could see a very strong argument for taking Draisaitl there. He has a very high upside and if he was Canadian or American we'd probably see him talked about as a #1 pick... probably a Nathan MacKinnon type talent.
Fixed

Closed Thread