HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2014, 08:18 PM
  #1001
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
*edit* furthermore, a quote from Guy Flaming re: Draisaitl, in the player's own words:

Very candid response from Draisaitl there when I asked about the weak part of his game. Admitted his defensive game is not great and skating

— Guy Flaming (@TPS_Guy) February 15, 2014
Looking at some vidoes of him, his skating looks quite fluid and very confident with the puck on his stick. Definitely a better skater than Eberle was in junior, at any rate.

I dunno, obviously there's some concerns with what he's got between his ears and if he could learn the defensive game, but in terms of pure talent with good (not great, but good) size he's right up there with anyone in this draft class.

If we're looking at former PA players, in terms of how they looked in junior he reminds me of a young Mike Modano...not as good obviously as Modano when he was a dominant 120 point player in the dub in his draft year, but I can't help but see similarities.

He's a very tempting pick if we're selecting outside the top 3...but then so was Jason BonBon, and we all know how that turned out.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 08:25 PM
  #1002
Kovacs
Registered User
 
Kovacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
I would still rather have Bennett but Draisaitl looks very promising as well.

Say we end up drafting at #4 and somehow Reinhart is still on the table, based on what we've heard would Stu take Draisaitl over Reinhart?

Kovacs is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 08:37 PM
  #1003
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 500
The good news is EDM won't have to draft a winger.

Toydarian is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 08:39 PM
  #1004
SchultzSquared
Registered User
 
SchultzSquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
FINE! We'll take the big lazy german.
He is not lazy per say... more like Getzlaf... so big rangy and so skilled with the puck he does not really have to push to get results... but he gets them... like a young Getz he is a - skater right now... does not get back to his end with as much effort as you would like... but I see him and I see a powerful man with NHL skills and body... much more than can be said for much of our top six...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisatl-Yakupov

I would be fine with that... I think low end he is a Viktor Kozlov type... who at his peak even though he was frustrating chipped in 50 A 70 pts... just has all the tools to find himself on the scoresheet consistently even if his own end eludes him... best case well I mentioned Getzlaf... you will see that when the games get important Draisatl rises up and control shifts and periods... has that kind of intense inner pride and passion to bull the net when stirred... again something we seem to lack

SchultzSquared is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:07 PM
  #1005
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
He is not lazy per say... more like Getzlaf... so big rangy and so skilled with the puck he does not really have to push to get results... but he gets them... like a young Getz he is a - skater right now... does not get back to his end with as much effort as you would like... but I see him and I see a powerful man with NHL skills and body... much more than can be said for much of our top six...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisatl-Yakupov

I would be fine with that... I think low end he is a Viktor Kozlov type... who at his peak even though he was frustrating chipped in 50 A 70 pts... just has all the tools to find himself on the scoresheet consistently even if his own end eludes him... best case well I mentioned Getzlaf... you will see that when the games get important Draisatl rises up and control shifts and periods... has that kind of intense inner pride and passion to bull the net when stirred... again something we seem to lack
A lot of people considered Getzlaf to be lazy in his draft year, with the talent he had, he should of put up way better numbers then he actually did.

Burnt Biscuits is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:11 PM
  #1006
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 500
I think that Draisaitl's size (6'1 209) will be a big factor when it comes to Oiler's management.

Lindo is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:22 PM
  #1007
Pablo Aimar
Registered User
 
Pablo Aimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Since when is 6'1 200lbs a "big" centre? Getzlaf is 6'4, so was Kozlov. Draisaitl is 1 inch taller than Bennett and the same height as Reinhart.

Pablo Aimar is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:25 PM
  #1008
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Stu wanted Murray and wanted him taken 1st overall in the Yakupov year if the rumors are true. And look at our 2nd and 3rd round picks since 2010. How many of them ended up playing in the Dub? Pitlick, Marincin, Musil, Moroz, Ewanyk, just off the top of my head.
This is just speculation. Nobody has ever been able to prove this.

Groucho is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:25 PM
  #1009
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Since when is 6'1 200lbs a "big" centre? Getzlaf is 6'4, so was Kozlov. Draisaitl is 1 inch taller than Bennett and the same height as Reinhart.
210 lbs is pretty big for a 17 year old kid. He's 30 lbs heavier than the other top centers.

I had a laugh at some posters (Raab in particular) losing their marbles over a Matheson tweet about the draft in mid March. Don't ever change HFOil.

CupofOil is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:29 PM
  #1010
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
He must have moved to center at some point this season because he was a LWer in all his highlights to start the season. He's also still listed as a LWer at HF and hockeydb. Is he a real center or a huberdeau type? Huberdeau was marketed as a center too but was a failure there.

I saw some recent highlights of him and I don't get what the big deal is, and he seems like he might slide back to wing at the NHL like Huberdeau did.

I just want the right center, even if he isn't the best one available.
He hasn't played wing since midget where McDavid played center on the same line. I forget which poster mentioned this in the prospects forum, but he said he was a Frontenacs season ticket holder and that Bennett has been a C his entire junior career.

Roof Daddy is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:30 PM
  #1011
Pablo Aimar
Registered User
 
Pablo Aimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
210 lbs is pretty big for a 17 year old kid. He's 30 lbs heavier than the other top centers.
On HockeyDB he is listed at 198, must be out of date. He is also 18, 8 months older than Bennett. Whenever I see people talk about taking a guy because of size I get flashbacks to Parise/Pouliot. Don't want to see that **** again.

Pablo Aimar is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:33 PM
  #1012
Connor McOilers
We suck.
 
Connor McOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo View Post
I think that Draisaitl's size (6'1 209) will be a big factor when it comes to Oiler's management.
To be honest I think that's pretty much the only attractive factor judging by the apparent lack of defensive awareness/effort and not to mention despite his build he isn't known for physical play.

Sure he would add size to the top 6 in a big way, but what use it that if he doesn't use it to his advantage? And how does he complement our forward group if like the rest of them defense isn't much of a priority?

Big bodies that can score are always attractive, but for every player like Getzlaf who matures and learns to put in a better effort than they did in junior, there's many more who don't. For that reason Draisaitl just seems like too big of a risk to me.

For me right now:
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart/Bennet pretty interchangeable
3. Seriously try to trade/package the pick for a top pairing D or 2C with size.

Connor McOilers is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:37 PM
  #1013
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
On HockeyDB he is listed at 198, must be out of date. He is also 18, 8 months older than Bennett. Whenever I see people talk about taking a guy because of size I get flashbacks to Parise/Pouliot. Don't want to see that **** again.
He's 209 now.
Pouliot was a product of Crosby in junior. Draisaitl is all on his own in PA. Big difference.

Also, why does he have to be the next Pouliot? He could also be the next Kopitar or Thornton and Bennett could be the next Brule.
I would also take Bennett over Draisaitl but I don't understand why he's being dismissed as a bum by some of you.
He's a big, very skilled center who needs to work on his skating and defensive game. This isn't unusual for highly regarded big kids.

CupofOil is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
  #1014
shoyen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to shoyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
He's 209 now.
Pouliot was a product of Crosby in junior. Draisaitl is all on his own in PA. Big difference.

Also, why does he have to be the next Pouliot? He could also be the next Kopitar or Thornton and Bennett could be the next Brule.
I would also take Bennett over Draisaitl but I don't understand why he's being dismissed as a bum by some of you.
He's a big, very skilled center who needs to work on his skating and defensive game. This isn't unusual for highly regarded big kids.

Crosby wasn't playing with Pouliot in his draft year (he came after).

shoyen is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
  #1015
Pablo Aimar
Registered User
 
Pablo Aimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post

Also, why does he have to be the next Pouliot? He could also be the next Kopitar or Thornton and Bennett could be the next Brule.
I would also take Bennett over Draisaitl but I don't understand why he's being dismissed as a bum by some of you.

He's a big, very skilled center who needs to work on his skating and defensive game. This isn't unusual for highly regarded big kids.
Not dismissing him at all, I just haven't heard a guy who is 6'1 be called a big centre before, although the weight is obviously meaningful. I do object to the idea (not necessarily stated explicitly by anyone) that they have to take this guy because "we have enough small forwards". That the same reasoning they gave for passing on Parise. If they take Draisaitl because they simply think he is the best prospect, then fine.

Pablo Aimar is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
  #1016
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This is just speculation. Nobody has ever been able to prove this.
We don't know who Stu wanted specifically but here's what Bob McKenzie had to say :




He's pretty much the most reliable source there is.

The "higher authority" could very well be Stu in this case but I have a pretty good feeling that it was management or ownership instead.

SephF is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 10:20 PM
  #1017
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Not dismissing him at all, I just haven't heard a guy who is 6'1 be called a big centre before, although the weight is obviously meaningful. I do object to the idea (not necessarily stated explicitly by anyone) that they have to take this guy because "we have enough small forwards". That the same reasoning they gave for passing on Parise. If they take Draisaitl because they simply think he is the best prospect, then fine.
When I think of "big" center, I think of weight moreso than height. If he was 6'4 but a stringbean, I don't consider that a big center. If he doesn't play big, then it really doesn't matter how big he is. Apparently, he's not too physical but he's great at protecting the puck.

In any event, I agree that taking him just because he's big would be stupid but he's not highly rated just because he's big. He's one of the elite offensive players of this draft class.
I value Reinhart and Bennett higher though because of their overall game. I think the Oilers need a center regardless of size who can play well at both ends of the rink moreso than a center who is big and is pretty one dimensional.

CupofOil is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 10:33 PM
  #1018
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,968
vCash: 500
I haven't seen as much Draisatil as others on this board to comment on his defense and drive. But it's hard to deny how much he's elevated his game for PA's playoff push.

40oz is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 11:46 PM
  #1019
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Since when is 6'1 200lbs a "big" centre? Getzlaf is 6'4, so was Kozlov. Draisaitl is 1 inch taller than Bennett and the same height as Reinhart.
I've seen reports of him being 6'2" and 210lbs already. I'm really interested to see what him comes in at during the combine.

Alex Galchenyuk is considered a big center and he's probably the same height.

I see him having the same kind of body as a Landeskog. He's hard to move off the puck and is, from what I hear, an absolute gym rat.

It's hard to know for sure when you just see games from the stands and the television. I can't say I've ever stood toe to toe with the kid.

DousedInOil is online now  
Old
03-12-2014, 11:51 PM
  #1020
Shizuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In purgatory
Posts: 1,634
vCash: 500
Well just an update, but Draisaitl's PA Raiders were crushed by the Pats 7-1 tonight. Amazingly he was just a -1. Reinhart had a couple of assists for Kootenay in their loss to Red Deer. Bennett has been suspended 5 games for a crosscheck to a player, so he's MIA. Ekblad had 1 assist and was +4 in Barrie's 7-5 victory tonight.

Shizuka is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 11:52 PM
  #1021
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,145
vCash: 500
Well I think we are geting one of Ekblad, Bennet, Rienhard, Draisatl, or Dal Collle. It seems closer we get to the draft no one can tell the diff between them. which is cool. WE will take what we can get.

okgooil is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 11:53 PM
  #1022
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
When I think of "big" center, I think of weight moreso than height. If he was 6'4 but a stringbean, I don't consider that a big center. If he doesn't play big, then it really doesn't matter how big he is. Apparently, he's not too physical but he's great at protecting the puck.

In any event, I agree that taking him just because he's big would be stupid but he's not highly rated just because he's big. He's one of the elite offensive players of this draft class.
I value Reinhart and Bennett higher though because of their overall game. I think the Oilers need a center regardless of size who can play well at both ends of the rink moreso than a center who is big and is pretty one dimensional.
It's not like we are talking about a 50 point center. The kid has 99 points in just 62 games in the WHL. By contrast, RNH had 106 points in 69 games played. So essentially he has 7 less points in 7 less games.

DousedInOil is online now  
Old
03-13-2014, 12:38 AM
  #1023
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,970
vCash: 500
people discounting Draisaitl are hilarious

this is a guy who is 30 POINTS ahead of his next teammate and 34 points ahead the next forward on a poor PA team.

Reinhart has Jaden Descheneau to play with (94 points) and while Bennett is 22 points ahead of the next player on his team, the Frontenacs are a very good club

safe to say Draisaitl is doing it all up front in PA

CantHaveTkachev is online now  
Old
03-13-2014, 12:47 AM
  #1024
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
people discounting Draisaitl are hilarious

this is a guy who is 30 POINTS ahead of his next teammate and 34 points ahead the next forward on a poor PA team.

Reinhart has Jaden Descheneau to play with (94 points) and while Bennett is 22 points ahead of the next player on his team, the Frontenacs are a very good club

safe to say Draisaitl is doing it all up front in PA
Well I don't think many are saying he's a dog and not to take him at all... (well I suppose some may say that) but I think the majority just would obviously prefer Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett if given the choice.

Personally I think it would be hard to pass on Draisaitl if they chose 4th and those other 3 were off the board. I'd personally have to choose between Ritchie and Draisaitl at that point... 2 good options and while I lean towards Ritchie at #4... I certainly could see a very strong argument for taking Draisaitl there. He has a very high upside and if he was a better skater RIGHT NOW we'd probably see him talked about as a #1 pick... probably a Nathan MacKinnon type talent.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
03-13-2014, 12:53 AM
  #1025
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well I don't think many are saying he's a dog and not to take him at all... (well I suppose some may say that) but I think the majority just would obviously prefer Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett if given the choice.

Personally I think it would be hard to pass on Draisaitl if they chose 4th and those other 3 were off the board. I'd personally have to choose between Ritchie and Draisaitl at that point... 2 good options and while I lean towards Ritchie at #4... I certainly could see a very strong argument for taking Draisaitl there. He has a very high upside and if he was Canadian or American we'd probably see him talked about as a #1 pick... probably a Nathan MacKinnon type talent.
Fixed

djdub is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.