HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dedicated 4th line discussion

Old
03-06-2014, 09:05 PM
PitHockey23

vCash: 500
Once Sill gets better
Sill-Vitale-Engelland
Great 4th line

PitHockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 09:32 AM
UnrealMachine

Goc is apparently still practicing on the 4th line. Even with Bennett & Gibbons injured, Goc cannot crack the top-9. For all the complaints about giving Sutter someone to play with, in the coach's eye it was a greater need to get Glass & Adams someone to play with.

Edit: auto corrected.

Last edited by UnrealMachine: 03-10-2014 at 09:47 AM.
UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Goc is apparently still practicing on the 4th line. Even with Bennett & Gibbons injured, Goc cannot crack the top-9. For all the complaints about giving Sutter someone to play with, in the coach's eye it was a greater need to get Glass & Adams someone to play with.

Edit: auto corrected.
Yup it's pretty unbelievable.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 10:23 AM
PitHockey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
this has to be a system decision we find very important in long play off series: The Coach has to decide whether he rolls a best 4th line or the Fourth best line, same for the third line, there has to be understanding of what kind of game you want to play what kind of role this line has once brought in.
Tactics? Roles? Strategy? Understanding?
You mean I don't just send them out there on the ice and tell them to get it north?

PitHockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 10:39 AM
gordie

Does Bylsma ever even considers scratching Craig Adams? If anything to get the 36 year old a little rest before the playoffs??

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 10:46 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I'm just going to bury my head in the sand and try to pretend that the staff is just working Goc into the lineup slowly (for some reason) and will bump him up to the third line where he belongs in short order. The idea of dropping a 5th and next year's 3rd to upgrade Gladams, of all things, is just too depressing.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Shady Machine

I would say we should throw a party when Adams retires, but we all know the next announcement will be that he is an assistance coach.

Old
03-10-2014, 01:06 PM
pistolpete11

Once the playoffs roll around, the Pens only shot is to double shift Crosby, Malkin, and even Sutter/Goc with the 4th line. Vitale should be 1. I like the idea of having Engelland since he can also drop back and play D if needed. Whether the other spot is filled by a PK guy like Glass or Adams or a skilled guy like Megna or Gibbons will depend on the opponent for me.

And that's only assuming Bylsma gets his head out of his ass and plays Goc on the 3rd line where he belongs.

pistolpete11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete11 View Post
Once the playoffs roll around, the Pens only shot is to double shift Crosby, Malkin, and even Sutter/Goc with the 4th line. Vitale should be 1. I like the idea of having Engelland since he can also drop back and play D if needed. Whether the other spot is filled by a PK guy like Glass or Adams or a skilled guy like Megna or Gibbons will depend on the opponent for me.

And that's only assuming Bylsma gets his head out of his ass and plays Goc on the 3rd line where he belongs.
No to Engelland on the 4th line. I don't see him being able to play D as an advantage because it means Bylsma will play him over better players (Despres and Bort) on the PK.

We needed him on the 4th line when we had all of those injuries but not anymore IMO.

This is my best case lineup:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Goc-Sutter-Bennett
Glass-Vitale-Megna

Old
03-10-2014, 05:10 PM
pistolpete11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
No to Engelland on the 4th line. I don't see him being able to play D as an advantage because it means Bylsma will play him over better players (Despres and Bort) on the PK.

We needed him on the 4th line when we had all of those injuries but not anymore IMO.

This is my best case lineup:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Goc-Sutter-Bennett
Glass-Vitale-Megna
I took Bylsma out of the picture. That is the lineup I would use if I was coach, which means I would be able to use them how I wanted. In that case, Engelland's versatility comes in handy incase of an in-game injury and/or if a couple defensemen take a penalty at the same time.

pistolpete11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitHockey23 View Post
Ludes, man. ****ing ludes!

That explains it all.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I'm pretty intrigued by the idea of Engelland on the 4th line moving forward. It solves two problems; it (ideally, no Bylsma factored in) bumps Glass or Adams out of the lineup, and frees up a spot in our defensive corps to move a younger guy up for full time duty.

For the playoffs, assuming we're healthy, I'd go:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett/Stempniak
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Goc - Sutter - Stempniak/Bennett
Engelland - Vitale - Megna

Moving forward, if Shero gets to work this summer (and he's got a lot of work to do) and revamps the top-9 effectively:

Kunitz - Crosby - (FA/Trade Winger)/Bennett
(FA/Trade Winger) - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Sutter - Bennett/(FA/Trade Winger)
Engelland - Vitale - Adams/Sill

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
It absolutely boggles my mind that Shero paid the price he did for Goc, only to see his coach play him on the 4th line. For pretty much the same price, Shero could have instead landed Hemsky for Sid's wing.

Then again Bylsma probably would have put him on line three and misuse him like he does every player on this roster.

In other words, **** off, Bylsma. Stop coaching like it's the first time you've ever seen an NHL game.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I would say we should throw a party when Adams retires, but we all know the next announcement will be that he is an assistance coach.
I actually wouldn't mind having a young Harvard educated coach in the org. And I would not be surprised if Adams turns out to be a decent coach, or other executive like Fitzgerald.

Sooner the better in my book. Can we have him replace one of the bench coaches next week by any chance?

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 01:46 AM
cygnus47

Out of context quote for the day:

"Glass says his parents are the ones who got him into juicing, which he uses to supplement his diet."

cygnus47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I'm just going to bury my head in the sand and try to pretend that the staff is just working Goc into the lineup slowly (for some reason) and will bump him up to the third line where he belongs in short order. The idea of dropping a 5th and next year's 3rd to upgrade Gladams, of all things, is just too depressing.
Nah, he'll stay on the 4th line, aside from one game where he'll inexplicably play with Crosby and Kunitz.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 02:43 AM
LetangInTheSO

As some of you may know, I've been jumping down peoples' throats lately for all of the anti-Bylsma rhetoric. About the only issue that I find myself fuming at Bylsma over (to the level that other people here do regularly) is his use of Craig Adams. The fact that Adams has been immune from the healthy scratch list for literally years on end is dumbfounding. What's more, Shero decided to give him a two-year deal going into this season. Sure, this may seem like a petty point, but I can't imagine that there was a bidding war for Adams; presumably he would have accepted a one-year offer. It seems that the organization is hellbent on making Adams a staple of our fourth line.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote