HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Can you get an assist..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2014, 07:24 PM
  #1
Pacifist Goon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Can you get an assist..

..for redirecting the puck with your skate to a team mate who scores, either a) by deliberately kicking or deflecting it over to the scorer with your skate; or b) accidentally where it takes a deflection off your skate over to the scorer?

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:07 PM
  #2
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Yes you can.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 12:22 AM
  #3
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,333
vCash: 500
Assists are awarded to whoever touches the puck. So the answer will be yes in all situations where you touch the puck before a teammate scores.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 05:47 AM
  #4
Pacifist Goon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
That's interesting, I always presumed that the person getting an assist always had to have had some part in creating the play or setting up the scorer other than just having been the person who touched or passed the puck immediately prior to the scorer scoring.

So if someone merely passed the puck from behind their own goal to someone wheeling back into their own end who then skated back down ice through five defenders and scored the passer would still get an assist?

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:46 AM
  #5
thevil
Lets go Aves?
 
thevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Unless you use your hand, everything that touches you pretty much is an assist.

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 12:59 PM
  #6
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
So if someone merely passed the puck from behind their own goal to someone wheeling back into their own end who then skated back down ice through five defenders and scored the passer would still get an assist?
Correct. It's not something that's open for interpretation.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 02:10 PM
  #7
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,523
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post

So if someone merely passed the puck from behind their own goal to someone wheeling back into their own end who then skated back down ice through five defenders and scored the passer would still get an assist?
I am sure thats how many goalies get credited with assists

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 05:39 PM
  #8
Caps2Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Pretty much the same idea with who gets credited for goals. D-man shoots from the point and the puck inadvertently deflects off a forwards skate/shin pad/etc.. The goal is credited to the forward even though the D was the shooter.

Caps2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:43 PM
  #9
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil View Post
Unless you use your hand, everything that touches you pretty much is an assist.
You can get an assist with your hand as well. Legally if you make the play in your own zone, or by unintentional contact.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 10:32 PM
  #10
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
You can get an assist with your hand as well. Legally if you make the play in your own zone, or by unintentional contact.
If the ref doesn't notice an illegal contact with your hand you can get an assist too. This will obviously only apply to high level play where scorekeepers review plays to make sure everyone has the proper credit.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
  #11
intangible
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Don't forget, too, that assists aren't cut off if the scorer received a pass from a give-and-go that began from a third player. So if player A passes to player B, then player B has a give-and-go with player C and then B scores, both A and C receive assists.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:32 AM
  #12
shoeshine boy
Registered User
 
shoeshine boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
keep in mind though that in beer league hockey you are unlikely to actually be awarded for anything that you didn't do on purpose not because it's not an assist but because the ref likely didn't see it.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 11:12 PM
  #13
intangible
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
keep in mind though that in beer league hockey you are unlikely to actually be awarded for anything that you didn't do on purpose not because it's not an assist but because the ref likely didn't see it.
Had that happen last night, lol. Cleared the puck down the ice, but by the time it got to their goal line it had pretty much stopped. My guy picks up the puck, drives to the net, and scores. Unassisted. Fortunately we put in our own stats so we fixed it, anyway, ha.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 07:36 AM
  #14
shoeshine boy
Registered User
 
shoeshine boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Had that happen last night, lol. Cleared the puck down the ice, but by the time it got to their goal line it had pretty much stopped. My guy picks up the puck, drives to the net, and scores. Unassisted. Fortunately we put in our own stats so we fixed it, anyway, ha.
maybe I'm not as generous as some people (and admittedly, not a ref) but I don't really see that as a credible assist. it sounds like you were trying to clear the puck out rather than make a pre-meditated pass to a teammate. to me and this is just my way of thinking and has nothing to do with rules or procedures, that would be an unassisted goal.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 01:36 PM
  #15
intangible
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
By the rules it's still an assist. By your definition a rebound off a save by the goalie wouldn't be an assist, either, which it is. (I actually wouldn't have a problem saying neither are assists, but the way the rules read both are, fortunately or unfortunately.)

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:23 PM
  #16
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
maybe I'm not as generous as some people (and admittedly, not a ref) but I don't really see that as a credible assist. it sounds like you were trying to clear the puck out rather than make a pre-meditated pass to a teammate. to me and this is just my way of thinking and has nothing to do with rules or procedures, that would be an unassisted goal.
There's no interpretation involved in hockey assists. You're thinking more along the lines of basketball.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 07:36 AM
  #17
shoeshine boy
Registered User
 
shoeshine boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
There's no interpretation involved in hockey assists. You're thinking more along the lines of basketball.

OMG, kill me now! I (mod edit) HATE basketball!


Last edited by Canadiens1958: 03-18-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: phrasing
shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:17 PM
  #18
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
OMG, kill me now! I (mod edit) HATE basketball!
Maybe you're a big basketball fan and you don't even know it

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.