HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raanta can go away

Old
03-12-2014, 11:25 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
It's too bad Rundblad wasn't on the ice, then he could have blamed him.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 12:14 AM
zytz
lumberjack

12-2-4 rookie backup.... what a trash goalie /facepalm

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 02:23 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
12-2-4 rookie backup.... what a trash goalie /facepalm
You are only person calling him trash

I simply am pointing out his lack of playing time and poor play when he has played in 2014.

His Sv Pct has dropped all the way to .904 (Crawford has .918 for comparison) ,, Lets not pretend he has been unstoppable

He performed well early on but lately has been underwhelming. There is no reason a proven vet like Labarbara shouldn't get some looks and allow Raanta to get some more playing time with Hogs

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 02:37 AM
Sarava

A lot of overreacting going on here to a harmless post by BWC.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 03:21 AM
Callidusblackhawk

If hes only going to play 1/6 games or whatever you may as well send him down as long as hes waiver exempt.

Callidusblackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
ModryJazyk

unlike our 6M guy, who is playing with less or more success regularly 3x in a week, Raanta didn't play since January 28th, what did you expect from him yesterday ? If Q will keep him sitting on the bench another month or two, he won't be any better then.

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Hawks4life

Raanta played well from the get go last night making some huge saves. Yes, the goal from the awful angle is what doom and gloomers will focus on but not having played in so long I was impressed. The Avs have played the Hawks very hard this year I was surprised this was the game Q decided to put him in though. Crow needed this game and maybe Raanta should have has Nashville but in the end we are securely in the playoffs and destined to play the Avs which I don't mind. Raanta has been a pleasent surprise this year and I have no complaints about him.

Hawks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 09:33 AM
hawksfan50

Nobody good to call up from the minors to play net. WHICH is why Standings must start focusing on better goalie talent for the pipeline..Goalies must be a draft priority NOW. ..so that in a few years there will be better options to call up..or replace incumbents for goalie router spots. When we get goalies with a. 949-.963 range save%s against a division rival. ..then you will know Standings has fixed that "problem" area.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Hawkaholic

I'm not blaming Raanta at all, but BWC has a point. He isn't playing well or much at all, and would be much better suited playing almost every game in the AHL I think.

I really don't think Labarbera would be any worse, and possibly a bit better. It's not a big deal either way though, neither goalie will steal us a game and both goalies could possibly lose us a game.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 10:37 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

He's played one game in three months and was alright. I don't see him progressing playing in the AHL.

Old
03-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
He's played one game in three months and was alright. I don't see him progressing playing in the AHL.
But you do think sitting on bench opening and closing door is better for his development?

Old
03-13-2014, 01:26 PM
ReillyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Nobody good to call up from the minors to play net. WHICH is why Standings must start focusing on better goalie talent for the pipeline..Goalies must be a draft priority NOW. ..so that in a few years there will be better options to call up..or replace incumbents for goalie router spots. When we get goalies with a. 949-.963 range save%s against a division rival. ..then you will know Standings has fixed that "problem" area.
Yep, drafting goalies early is super worthwhile:

(http://www.rawcharge.com/2013/8/23/4...t-introduction)

Stan's drafted 4 or 5 goalies and signed a free agent. As goalie drafting is pretty much a crapshoot I don't know what else you want him to do.

Here's an article discussing CHL goalies, which concludes there are likely only 4 future NHL goalies playing in the CHL currently: http://thats-offside.blogspot.co.uk/...nd-hockey.html

ReillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 01:57 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
But you do think sitting on bench opening and closing door is better for his development?
He's almost 25. He isn't going to grow playing at that level.

Edit: And he's a better goalie than LaBarbera.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:01 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Send our backup down and call up LaBarbera because he definitely isn't as cold as Raanta, since he's gotten so many NHL starts since we've acquired him.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

Goalies still develop after 25, they aren't forwards or Dmen.

Playing in the AHL every game is definitely going to help him more than hurt him.
Opening a door in the NHL is going to hurt more than help him.

I don't care either way though.

Old
03-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Goalies still develop after 25, they aren't forwards or Dmen.

Playing in the AHL every game is definitely going to help him more than hurt him.
Opening a door in the NHL is going to hurt more than help him.

I don't care either way though.
I agree in that there's still room for development after age 25 for goaltenders. They're a different animal.

As far as Raanta goes, I'm also with you in that I don't really care either way whether he is up or down. Personally, I feel starting every game down in the AHL would be ok for him and wouldn't be a hindrance to his development or a waste of time. I think with it still being his first season in North America, playing every game and getting lots of minutes wouldn't be a bad idea. With that said, I'm fine that he's up as he's proven to be decent enough to be here, especially over Labarbera.

With all that said, I'm not completely sold on him yet as far as what he projects to be as an NHL goaltender. I don't dislike him or anything like that, and I think he has potential, but I don't feel super comfortable with him in net. He looks small in net, doesn't take up a lot of real estate, and I'm not sure his quickness and athleticism are good enough to completely make up for that or not. Jury is still out with me. I need to see more, and am fine with him getting the opportunity, just not sure how good he's going to be at this level. Has some things going against him there.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
I agree in that there's still room for development after age 25 for goaltenders. They're a different animal.

As far as Raanta goes, I'm also with you in that I don't really care either way whether he is up or down. Personally, I feel starting every game down in the AHL would be ok for him and wouldn't be a hindrance to his development or a waste of time. I think with it still being his first season in North America, playing every game and getting lots of minutes wouldn't be a bad idea. With that said, I'm fine that he's up as he's proven to be decent enough to be here, especially over Labarbera.

With all that said, I'm not completely sold on him yet as far as what he projects to be as an NHL goaltender. I don't dislike him or anything like that, and I think he has potential, but I don't feel super comfortable with him in net. He looks small in net, doesn't take up a lot of real estate, and I'm not sure his quickness and athleticism are good enough to completely make up for that or not. Jury is still out with me. I need to see more, and am fine with him getting the opportunity, just not sure how good he's going to be at this level. Has some things going against him there.
Yup, that's pretty much where I am at with him as well.

Old
03-13-2014, 04:15 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Playing at Rockford this year could be detrimental. Their defense is a mess however with the recent d signings (Fournier, Briesbois, Connelly)... and soon to be signings (Johns), it should get tremendously better by next year.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:

Niemi and Crawford both continued to develop after age 25 playing in Rock ,, So yeah

Old
03-13-2014, 07:35 PM
CourtneyDagger50

It would only help to have Raanta in the AHL. It isn't like have LaBarbera up here is going to hurt us. Look at how many games Raanta is getting, and he hasn't won his last two starts. Not blaming him, its just a fact.
Why would it hurt to have him down in Rockford getting a lot of playing time?
If LaBarbera comes up and doesnt win every game, it is the same situation. I would rather have Raanta getting good time rather than just sitting on the bench.

CourtneyDagger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:32 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Playing at Rockford this year could be detrimental. Their defense is a mess however with the recent d signings (Fournier, Briesbois, Connelly)... and soon to be signings (Johns), it should get tremendously better by next year.
What better training ground. Lot's of ice time, and lots of shots. Antii has proven to me that he is strong mentally. A bad team in front of him would not hurt him pyschologically.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
What better training ground. Lot's of ice time, and lots of shots. Antii has proven to me that he is strong mentally. A bad team in front of him would not hurt him pyschologically.
I get the same impression. He seems like kind of a free spirit, for lack of a better term. Kinda guy that just shakes something off quick and forgets about it. I do like that about him. Huge positive to have that as a goaltender, not unlike a closer in baseball. Shake it off and on to the rest of the game, next game, whatever.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:46 PM
monochrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
What better training ground. Lot's of ice time, and lots of shots. Antii has proven to me that he is strong mentally. A bad team in front of him would not hurt him psychologically.
Exactly the reasoning on why he should be in Rockford. He is going to be much more babied at the NHL level just because of our defensive skills. Any given day up with the big club Raanta could see 10 less shots than he would with Rockford. LaBarbera is certainly done developing and is a stop gap measure. I don't like him for a long term solution but having him on as backup for Crawford wont be too terrible.

Then again, theres only 14 games left in the AHL season so maybe this is something to think about next season when he's resigned.

monochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Can I assume that Raanta will play in one of the back-to-back games against Philly and Blues?

Probably he gets the easier matchup against Philly?

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Raanta has continued to get worse. I honestly think the Hawks should walk away from him in offseason (Not tender him)

The goalie market is deep this summer with several quality backups available

I would be fine not bringing back Raanta next year

Has been pretty terrible after hot start

UFA list

Chad Johnson - Bos (17-3-3 with 2.07 GAA / .926 sv pct + 2 SO)
Brian Elliott - Stl (18-6-2 with 1.96 GAA / .922 sv pct + 4 SO)
Al Montoya - Win (9-4-4 with 2.30 GAA / .920 Sv pct + 2 SO)
Jaroslav Halak - Stl/Was (24-9-4 with 2.23 GAA / .917 sv pct + 4 SO)
Thomas Greiss - Phx (9-8-5 wiht 2.35 GAA / .920 sv pct + 2 SO)
Jonas Hiller - Ana (29-13-7 with 2.48 GAA / .911 sv pct + 5 SO)
Justin Peters - Car (7-9-4 with 2.50 GAA / .919 Sv pct + 1 SO)
Jonas Gustavsson - Det (16-5-4 with 2.63 GAA / .908 Sv pct)
Ilya Bryzgalov - Edm/Min (5-8-5 with 3.01 GAA / .908 Sv Pct + 1 SO)

+ Thomas , Nabokov , Emery , McElhinney , Hutton (Sadly performing better then Raanta) will be UFA's as well

Thomas , Halak , Miller and Hiller probably get starting gigs or 1A/1B type roles and will be unaffordable most likely but still a lot of quality on that list

Al Montoya for instance would be solid addition