HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #66|Sat., Mar. 15, 2014| Penguins at Flyers |1:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
those clowns surely don't remember when Hartnell nose got broken vs Pens and they were celebrating

Old
03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
MP92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
those clowns surely don't remember when Hartnell nose got broken vs Pens and they were celebrating
They also laughed about Giroux's wrist injury, Pronger's career ending concussion and Lindros's. There is no fanbase who is morally superior to another.

Old
03-14-2014, 03:39 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
They also laughed about Giroux's wrist injury, Pronger's career ending concussion and Lindros's. There is no fanbase who is morally superior to another.
They think they are. But those fans and their team turn a lot uglier than most fanbases when things don't go their way.

Old
03-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I'm happy he got a concussion. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll try to avoid contact with Cosby when he gets back.

Well if they're reading this we might as well escalate it right? I mean it's more fun that way

Old
03-14-2014, 03:52 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
His slashes and slewfoots are absolutely dirty, and particularly annoying since they usually don't get called by the gutless refs.

In 2012 he lost a faceoff to Giroux and knocked the stick out of G's hands with two heavy slashes right in front of the ref. No call.
I chalk that up to intensity. And, to be fair, we've had players make equally "dirty" plays as well. The stuff Neal does is in another stratosphere. There's a difference between getting under a player's skin, and making a concerted effort to cheapshot a defenseless player a la Neal on Marchand and Couturier.

Old
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Poor Neal... He will have no idea what to do with his knees and elbows for weeks now...

Old
03-14-2014, 04:14 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I have no issues with Sid, and if I'm being totally objective, I would adore Sid if he were a Flyer (you all would, too, don't lie). He plays the game hard, but nothing he ever does is actually dirty. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him despite the fact that I will always hate him for being a Penguin.
Ehh I have to disagree here. Crosby is hated so much because of the way he acts, i.e whining to the refs, slashing, slew footing, diving, other dirty plays. That's just not "good hockey." If he didn't do these things and was just the great player he is then yes I would have no problem with him other than the fact that he's on a rival team. But our own fan base is fair with their criticism of diving, etc. We all, well most knowledgable fans, don't like it when anyone on our team dives or plays dirty. If Crosby was on the Flyers and did the things he does he would be called out on them just as much.

Old
03-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Flyerss

Voracek and B.Schenn beast mode on the same day would be epic

Old
03-14-2014, 04:19 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Ehh I have to disagree here. Crosby is hated so much because of the way he acts, i.e whining to the refs, slashing, slew footing, diving, other dirty plays. That's just not "good hockey." If he didn't do these things and was just the great player he is then yes I would have no problem with him other than the fact that he's on a rival team. But our own fan base is fair with their criticism of diving, etc. We all, well most knowledgable fans, don't like it when anyone on our team dives or plays dirty. If Crosby was on the Flyers and did the things he does he would be called out on them just as much.
But this is when our biases come into play. When Giroux successfully dives or embellishes, what feeling do you get? You get that, "Ah, come on Claude, no need for that" feeling.

Think about how you feel when Crosby dives or embellishes successfully. You get that "Mother****ing piece of ****, give me a break, how can the refs give him that call, someone better beat his ass soon!" feeling.

That is bias. If Crosby were a Flyer, and Giroux a Pen, your feelings would be reversed. That's why I don't hold those things against Crosby. They're not exclusive to him, and I celebrate many players around the league who act in similar fashion. The difference with Neal is that there are few players that act similarly, and I happen to hate them all. I don't find my hatred of Neal to be a product of my bias. I find my hatred of Crosby, on the other hand, to be 100% a product of my bias.

Old
03-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I find my hatred of Crosby, on the other hand, to be 100% a product of my bias.
Then you aren't watching him closely enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKr2Et0THzM

Old
03-14-2014, 04:40 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

Does anybody hate Peverly over this?

Look, I'm not justifying Crosby's antics by any means. I'm just saying that they are not the source of my hatred for him, and it's likely not the source of most Flyers fans' hatred for him (though they'll never admit it).

The source of our hatred for him is the jersey he puts on. Which is totally fine, obviously; it's part of being a fan. I'm just not pretending I hate Crosby for his antics which are really not any worse than many stars around the league. Again, we would all be rationalizing those same antics (or overlooking them at the very least) if he wore a Flyers jersey.

Old
03-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:

The source of our hatred for him is the jersey he puts on.
No it isn't. It's his behavior, and the way the refs turn a blind eye to it for the most part. The Ranger player got called for interference on the slewfoot in that video.

I don't hate Kunitz or Niskanen or MAF or Martin.

Old
03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
No it isn't. It's his behavior, and the way the refs turn a blind eye to it for the most part.

That's because they are a much, much, much lesser part of the Penguins identity. Crosby is probably 95% of their identity, Malkin included. He is their face, he is their captain and cornerstone, he symbolizes how the Penguins **** the bed for years in order to get good. When you think of Crosby, all of these things are naturally intertwined with your impression of him, and they're pretty much impossible to separate from your perception of him.

I'm not saying you don't hate Crosby for his behavior and antics; obviously you would know that more than I do. I'm just saying you would hate him a lot less if he weren't a Penguin, and you would adore him if he were a Flyer.

EDIT: And how can you not hate Kunitz? God, he's such a little piece of ****, too

Old
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
MP92

Aside from the team he is on and his antics, I think the biggest reason he is hated is because of how the hockey media shoves him down our throats. I don't care who you are or how good you are, when you're overexposed and being force fed to people, they will rebel. There are other great players in the league. If any of you are WWE fans, it's kind of similar to John Cena. Tons and tons of people hate him because the company has him overshadow other up and coming wrestlers who deserve more spotlight. Crosby is the John Cena of the NHL.

Old
03-14-2014, 05:26 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:

I hate Crosby cause of his spot picking for when to be tough or physical. So when Mike Richards goes after Crosby for 5 years, he declines. But the very next season when Richards is gone Crosby decides to act tough and fight the much smaller Claude Giroux? Like that's just being a *****.

Old
03-14-2014, 05:36 PM
JohnEDrama

I've had multiple concussions from playing a sport, and when Crosby was out for that extended amount of time, and finally came back, I was sort of rooting for him. Not so much statistically or anything like that, just to stay healthy. But he came back and those feelings quickly dissipated.

I think it really does have to do with the way he plays, (though the things he does that dont get called, as well as the penalties draw that are suspect dont help) is really what infuriates me, at least. Don't get me wrong, I am not hoping for the guy to get injured, much less concussed again, but the way he plays, coupled with how he is officiated are infuriating.

Old
03-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Of course some Pens fans are pissy about it, those are the fans who think he's never taken a cheapshot at anyone and would defend him when he does.

If I walk up to your Mom and punch her in the face and as I run away I run into something and hurt myself are you gonna say "Aww, I hope he's ok" or "Good, ******* deserved it". The guy does **** to hurt people and now he go hurt, he doesn't deserve sympathy.

Old
03-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
But this is when our biases come into play. When Giroux successfully dives or embellishes, what feeling do you get? You get that, "Ah, come on Claude, no need for that" feeling.

Think about how you feel when Crosby dives or embellishes successfully. You get that "Mother****ing piece of ****, give me a break, how can the refs give him that call, someone better beat his ass soon!" feeling.

That is bias. If Crosby were a Flyer, and Giroux a Pen, your feelings would be reversed. That's why I don't hold those things against Crosby. They're not exclusive to him, and I celebrate many players around the league who act in similar fashion. The difference with Neal is that there are few players that act similarly, and I happen to hate them all. I don't find my hatred of Neal to be a product of my bias. I find my hatred of Crosby, on the other hand, to be 100% a product of my bias.
Speak for yourself. Believe it or not, you can have a different opinion that isn't the result of bias.

Old
03-14-2014, 05:54 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Speak for yourself. Believe it or not, you can have a different opinion that isn't the result of bias.
Respectfully, there is no way to object to the presence of bias regarding our opinion of Crosby.

If the Flyers had won the 2005 lottery and drafted Crosby, try telling me you wouldn't be a huge fan. That is the very definition of bias.

I'm not saying you wouldn't hate Crosby if he were drafted by the Ducks that year instead. You probably would, and I'm not objecting to that. I'm just saying your impression of Crosby in this reality is inherently influenced by the fact that he's a Penguin. Your impression may be also influenced by other factors (eg, his antics), but it's simply disingenuous to say bias doesn't have any influence whatsoever. You hate him more than you would otherwise because he's a Penguin; there's absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that. It's part of being a fan. In fact, it's the best part about being a fan. It's what actually makes it enjoyable.

Old
03-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Respectfully, there is no way to object to the presence of bias regarding our opinion of Crosby.

If the Flyers had won the 2005 lottery and drafted Crosby, try telling me you wouldn't be a huge fan. That is the very definition of bias.

I'm not saying you wouldn't hate Crosby if he were drafted by the Ducks that year instead. You probably would, and I'm not objecting to that. I'm just saying your impression of Crosby in this reality is inherently influenced by the fact that he's a Penguin. Your impression may be also influenced by other factors (eg, his antics), but it's simply disingenuous to say bias doesn't have any influence whatsoever. You hate him more than you would otherwise because he's a Penguin; there's absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that. It's part of being a fan. In fact, it's the best part about being a fan. It's what actually makes it enjoyable.
Maybe, maybe not. The reason I hate him is mostly because of the way he acts, being on the Penguins is overshadowed by how big of a baby he is. If he was traded from the Penguins today I would hate him exactly as much as I do now. Same thing with players like Neal, Marchand, Ott, ect.

Old
03-14-2014, 06:07 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Maybe, maybe not. The reason I hate him is mostly because of the way he acts, being on the Penguins is overshadowed by how big of a baby he is. If he was traded from the Penguins today I would hate him exactly as much as I do now. Same thing with players like Neal, Marchand, Ott, ect.
Sure, that's because your opinion of each of those players is already fully developed. The only thought experiment that conclusively proves the existence of bias one way or another is the one I've suggested already: if the Flyers won the 2005 lottery and drafted Crosby, how would you feel about him then?

I'd be a big fan, and I have a hard time believing you wouldn't be. Nothing wrong with recognizing that. In an alternate universe this may be true, doesn't mean it should have any influence on our opinions of him in this one, though. I will still always hate his guts.

Old
03-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Wow the Pens board is a funny place

Ynow what would be hilarious? If you could see Pens and Caps fans share a GDT for one of their games. My sides would be in orbit.

Old
03-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Ryker

I think Mason gets lit up tomorrow.

Old
03-14-2014, 06:43 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:

Oh my god you're doing the whole Cristiano Ronaldo schpiel. There are a million reasons people hate the man, and isn't because he's not on my team, or because he's on a rival or anything. Your side that you're presenting has been debunked numerous times in just about every other sport. I personally hate him because he knows the rule book pretty well and skirts right on the fine line of EVERYTHING. He rides the line hard and the refs just let it go, where as if any one remembers 24/7 with the Flyers, Talbot was playing a game where he was doing everything borderline and the refs knew they couldn't call him for anything, so they skated over and told him they knew what he was doing and to calm down and quit the **** or they were going to call a bull **** penalty. They ultimately did and the ref told Talbot "Yeah you're right, that was a horrible call I just made, but I warned you I was going to get you". THAT never happens to Crosby. It happens to just about every other star player from Kane to Ovechkin, but never Crosby.

Hey, dude is skilled and love watching him play. He's on my fantasy team, so I do watch the Penguins a lot. The fact is he is everything I hate in a sports player. Much like how I dislike Ronaldo. On the Union I dislike Hoppenot, who is another guy who reads the rules meticulously and just skirts the line sooo ****ing hard just to draw red cards that it leaves you just shaking your head... It's pretty much all he knows how to do. I dislike players who play outside the spirit of the game, and Crosby is a huge violator in my opinion. Simmonds has been getting that way lately with how he crashes the net and stirs **** up, and it irks me just as much. It is like he researches how many punches he can get in on a guy before a ref calls a penalty. That isn't hockey....at all. Crosby antics aren't hockey.

Old
03-14-2014, 06:46 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
No it isn't. It's his behavior, and the way the refs turn a blind eye to it for the most part. The Ranger player got called for interference on the slewfoot in that video.

I do.

Closed Thread