HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This Is The Thread Where Visitors Get To Ask About Panther Players' Progress

Old
02-11-2007, 12:06 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinger View Post
What is Shantz's potential? Is being in the ECHL a good thing for his development or a sign that Florida has basically written him off?
Shantz is playing in the ECHL because we don't have enough room for him to play in the AHL. Craig Anderson and the Buffalo goalie splits time, which kind of annoys me, i'd much rather see Shantz than Anderson in the AHL.

Plante leaves Junior this year. Which means he might go to the ECHL, so Shantz would move up to the A. This means Anderson is hopefully moved.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Hinger

How is he rated compared to Plante in the eyes of the organization, or is it comparing apples to oranges at this point?

Hinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:11 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinger View Post
How is he rated compared to Plante in the eyes of the organization, or is it comparing apples to oranges at this point?
Personally i think Plante is the better goalie for the future, but niether are Top Goaltending prospects. If Plante can calm his fustration, work on his rebound control then i think he'll be good.

I have no idea who Florida prefers.

Old
02-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Personally i think Plante is the better goalie for the future, but niether are Top Goaltending prospects. If Plante can calm his fustration, work on his rebound control then i think he'll be good.

I have no idea who Florida prefers.
It's tough to say. Shantz had the better year last year and is having a better year this year. Plante really has to restablish himself after having a great rookie year in the WHL and then tailing off for the last 1 1/2 years.

The book on Shantz is that he's solid technically and is a smart netminder. Plante has a reputation for giving up lots of rebounds. As we saw with Luongo, this is something that some goalies are never able to correct. Shantz might develop into the safer, more reliable goaltender. In any case, Plante has a lot of work to do on his game. He might have more upside, but right now Shantz may be playing better.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:49 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
It's tough to say. Shantz had the better year last year and is having a better year this year. Plante really has to restablish himself after having a great rookie year in the WHL and then tailing off for the last 1 1/2 years.

The book on Shantz is that he's solid technically and is a smart netminder. Plante has a reputation for giving up lots of rebounds. As we saw with Luongo, this is something that some goalies are never able to correct. Shantz might develop into the safer, more reliable goaltender. In any case, Plante has a lot of work to do on his game. He might have more upside, but right now Shantz may be playing better.
Plante this year seems to be playing quite well. Last year, wasn't he on a terrible Wheat Kings team? Playing on a bad team isn't going to help you develop your Fustration/Anger problems .

In any case, i'd be happy if just one of them develops into a Solid netminder.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Plante this year seems to be playing quite well. Last year, wasn't he on a terrible Wheat Kings team? Playing on a bad team isn't going to help you develop your Fustration/Anger problems .

In any case, i'd be happy if just one of them develops into a Solid netminder.
Actually, I don't know how bad Brandon was last year. If that's the case, it might have something to do with it. The fact that he has anger/frustration problems is not a good trait for a goalie though. I didn't know about that.

I doubt Shantz becomes anything more than a high quality NHL backup/1b guy. Plante might develop into something better, but at this point I'd say it's more of a wildcard because from what I've heard, he's got a lot to work on. In any case, it's a moot point. Foster is our best goalie prospect.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:30 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Actually, I don't know how bad Brandon was last year. If that's the case, it might have something to do with it. The fact that he has anger/frustration problems is not a good trait for a goalie though. I didn't know about that.

I doubt Shantz becomes anything more than a high quality NHL backup/1b guy. Plante might develop into something better, but at this point I'd say it's more of a wildcard because from what I've heard, he's got a lot to work on. In any case, it's a moot point. Foster is our best goalie prospect.
Plante gets pretty fustrated if he lets a weak goal in, and tends to let it get the better of him. I think this happened at a one of the Team Canada camps. He let in a weak one, and his temperament got the better of him. So, he was taken of out the practice, taken outside and talked to. He came back, and played alot better.

I agree with Shantz. He is great at the Technical things, but lacks great natural ability, if that makes any sense. So he is always in the right position etc, but just isn't insanely talented.

Foster is really hard to project. I know he got two shutouts in his first two games at college (Who does he play for again?), and has played well in the over games he has seen since, but he is still only a back up at this point. Hopefully he will become the starter next year, but at this point it is very hard to predict his development. This time next year, if he is seeing regular action and performing well then i think we can talk about him as a very good prospect.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Plante gets pretty fustrated if he lets a weak goal in, and tends to let it get the better of him. I think this happened at a one of the Team Canada camps. He let in a weak one, and his temperament got the better of him. So, he was taken of out the practice, taken outside and talked to. He came back, and played alot better.

I agree with Shantz. He is great at the Technical things, but lacks great natural ability, if that makes any sense. So he is always in the right position etc, but just isn't insanely talented.

Foster is really hard to project. I know he got two shutouts in his first two games at college (Who does he play for again?), and has played well in the over games he has seen since, but he is still only a back up at this point. Hopefully he will become the starter next year, but at this point it is very hard to predict his development. This time next year, if he is seeing regular action and performing well then i think we can talk about him as a very good prospect.
Albeit, Foster is a backup right now, and may not be the starter next year either, as Regan Kelly I believe is a junior at UNH. But in addition to his solid early college stats, he has been a winner at every level. He won an EJHL championship with the N.H. Jr. Monarchs, and the USHL championship last season. Considering how impressive his resume is, and the early reviews on him from UNH, and how inconsistent Shantz and Plante have been over the past couple seasons, I think he can easily be considered our top goalie prospect. Shantz and Plante have done nothing to solidify the hold on that title.

Old
02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
GlueleG

What the likelihood of seeing Anthony Stewart called up again this season?

GlueleG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueleG View Post
What the likelihood of seeing Anthony Stewart called up again this season?
I hope not likely, he didn't do anything during his stint here and was pretty much unnoticeable.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:57 AM
brownelvis

Stumpel ...

Hey ... does anyone have any idea when he's coming back from injury?

brownelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:04 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownelvis View Post
Hey ... does anyone have any idea when he's coming back from injury?
latest word was day-to-day; could be tomorrow.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ews_on_th.html

This is the blog on the PBP website.

In a nutshell says Olesz and Stumpel will be back (and then reminds us that Olesz already came back, oddly worded). Charron claims Stumpel is not 100%, that he would need a few weeks to recover but that they "don't have a few weeks" due to the "playoff push". Yeah that spells bad idea, hope Stumpel doesn't make it worse. Either way they said to expect Stumpel back tomorrow.

This also confirms the other thread saying that Bertuzzi has no timetable and likely won't be traded due to that...take that for what you will.

No mention of Auld's "injury" from the other thread on here.

Point is, Stumpel is expected back tomorrow, and they will likely try to reform the successful line of Olesz-Stumpel-Your Name Here.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Lixxiq
@Lixxiq

vCash: 777
thanks a lot 4 the news

Lixxiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Russian_fanatic

Nathan Horton potential?

I love this kid, but he is pretty inconsistent. What type of potential does he have? IMO he is already a good second line center, his game has improved this year. Do you think he is a perrential all star in the future? I've seen flashes of this kid, and he can just take over games sometimes.

Why do so many of you want a young stud like Horton traded? IMO he will be your best player in the future.

Russian_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic View Post
I love this kid, but he is pretty inconsistent. What type of potential does he have? IMO he is already a good second line center, his game has improved this year. Do you think he is a perrential all star in the future? I've seen flashes of this kid, and he can just take over games sometimes.

Why do so many of you want a young stud like Horton traded? IMO he will be your best player in the future.
I kinda thought Horton had been playing wing this year. And nobody wants Horton traded, but apparently Horton wants out?

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:57 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
I kinda thought Horton had been playing wing this year. And nobody wants Horton traded, but apparently Horton wants out?
he's not a center - has never been one (at least for a prolonged period of time) at the nhl level.

and, from what i can gather, he doesn't want out. he never demanded or requested a trade. all he said was he was unhappy with the losing. i'm sure everyone is. biggane twisted that into sounding as if he was requesting a deal and all the HF vultures bit on it.

as far as the original post - horton could become one of the best power forwards in the game if he started playing like one...consistently. if you watched tonight, you can see his skills. they're obvious. what he needs to learn is to compete on a consistent basis...and once he does that, he needs to learn to use his size and strength on a consistent basis. he's inconsistent because his effort is inconsistent. right now he's a very good 2nd line right winger....his "potential" is probably that of a top line 40+ goal 90+ point power forward. will he ever hit that? who knows

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote