HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Cogliano

Old
02-20-2007, 10:47 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Cogliano

Basically I know alot about the Canadian Junior system, but I know little about the college system. I know that what Cogliano is doing this year seems very impressive, any one want to fill me in on exactly what league he is playing in, who has played in that league in the past ect. I mean just any sort of idea as to how he is doing relative to the NHL. Thanks in advance.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:06 PM
surixon

Cogs is playing for the University of Michigan Wolveriens in the CCHA division. The team recently has a very good track record for graduating some really good NHL players. Comrie, Cammalleri(sp), Komasarick, Tamballeni(sp) are all recent graduates that come to mind. Cogs currently sits third on team in scoring and first in goals, while arguably being UM's best forward recently.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:15 PM
ralphie86

Plays for Michigan in the CCHA. Out of 6 conferences, the CCHA is the 3rd-best. The CCHA is a mile behind the WCHA (last place team has 9 NHL draftees) and quite a bit behind Hockey East in the quality of play, but a couple teams (Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan) in the CCHA are decent.

ralphie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe you already know this and it isn't what your asking, but Michigan is by far the best college program as far as producing star NHL players. Some of the names that weren't mentioned above would be Brendan Morrison, Ryan Miller, Marty Turco, and soon enough Jack Johnson. I'm pretty certain Cogs will be a top 6 guy in this league, with a shot at becoming a number 1 centre(like a Briere), but something that did worry me that you probably saw was his preformances in the last two World Jr's weren't anything to get too excited about. On the flip side of that however there have been plenty of star players in this league that were only average at the WJC and plenty of players that didn't pan out that were star players at the WJC(Todd Harvey and Nolan Baumgartner are two that come to mind).

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 12:06 AM
PunjabiOil*

I'd be thrilled if he turned out like Mike Cammereli (sp?)

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 05:03 AM
Double Agent*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
I'd be thrilled if he turned out like Mike Cammereli (sp?)
I don't think he has as much raw skill as Cammy. But I do think he's better in other areas, such as skating and defensive awareness/abiilty. I'm hoping he'll be like a Lombardi, only with a bit more skill and better passing.

Double Agent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 05:12 AM
OilerOlli*

When will Cogliano come over to NHL/AHL?

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:54 AM
jnewton91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
When will Cogliano come over to NHL/AHL?
There had been talk they'd look to sign him this offseason along with Taylor Chorney, both having just completed their second college seasons. (As opposed to signing Greene and Gilbert after their third seasons in the NCAA) I think Cogliano would move to the AHL at that point if they could sign him, and could be a top 2 line C on our own AHL team. When interviewed however, Cogliano has always seemed non-committal about whether he'd be willing to forego his last two years of college. So I guess it's a wait and see for now.

jnewton91 is offline   Reply With Quote