HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Jets - 3/14/14

View Poll Results: Stars of the game
Lundqvist 74 86.05%
Stralman 3 3.49%
Staal 1 1.16%
J. Moore 1 1.16%
McDonagh 1 1.16%
Girardi 6 6.98%
Klein 19 22.09%
Zuccarello 2 2.33%
Stepan 21 24.42%
St. Louis 6 6.98%
Richards 7 8.14%
Pouliot 3 3.49%
Nash 0 0%
D. Moore 1 1.16%
Kreider 22 25.58%
Hagelin 81 94.19%
Carcillo 3 3.49%
Brassard 1 1.16%
Boyle 7 8.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-15-2014, 12:01 AM
trilobyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
I can't comprehend the Stralman bashing right now. He had a somewhat decent game in the limited minutes he played in.

I don't like the notion of giving Klein nearly 20 mins a game. The team will continuously be outchanced (like they were tonight) when he's in.

It goes all back to square one though. The Rangers should've moved MDZ for a more capable offensive dman, but nope.
Stralman did not have a good game, in my opinion, and that of many others. Not sure what is going on, maybe part of the team malaise, but he can be much much better.
Klein is not playing worse than Stralman, why pick on Klein?

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

the corsi crew can say what they will, being able to bunch up with McDonagh-Klein and Staal-Girardi when protecting a lead in the playoffs is a good option to have.

The Staal Stralman pairing has been a nightmare of late and Anton isn't blameless in that.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Mint
Dynamic Duo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Stralman did not have a good game, in my opinion, and that of many others. Not sure what is going on, maybe part of the team malaise, but he can be much much better.
Klein is not playing worse than Stralman, why pick on Klein?
Pack mentality imo.

Too Swedish.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:09 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Pack mentality imo.

Too Swedish.
I am a big supporter of Stralman, and I am a Canadian of Irish-Scots descent, go figure

The team is kind of crappy right now, I'm really happy with two points tonight. Hope it gets their confidence up.

Old
03-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Harvey View Post
Id say there's a good chance there's a kid out there somewhere right now who will surpass Hank's eventual record. He may be 7 yrs old just starting to strap on the pads, or he could already be in college. Who knows.

But the Rangers have luckily always had premium goaltenders through the years.

Just illustrate, it wasnt even Hank who was supposed to be our next franchise netminder, it was Dan Blackburn.
And he was certainly looking the part early on. Think he still holds the rookie record for wins. But terribly his career ended prematurely, and still we had Lundqvist to step right into the void.
No guarantees going forward, but historically its where theyve been strongest.
If Henrik got his ass here at an earlier age he could have dented some serious records. Scary what kind of career he could have had if he played on a team that has their **** together.

Way to go, Slats....

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Mint
Dynamic Duo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
the corsi crew can say what they will, being able to bunch up with McDonagh-Klein and Staal-Girardi when protecting a lead in the playoffs is a good option to have.

The Staal Stralman pairing has been a nightmare of late and Anton isn't blameless in that.
Not a bad idea. McDonagh is good enough of masking the deficiencies of his defense partner. Stralman could carry his own pair like he's did with Staal and MDZ previously. Staal-Girardi were awesome in 2010-11. Interesting outlook.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:15 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
I can't believe I got to watch Hank get #301 live! First time ever seeing him play live too! I was kind of disappointed though, I only had one person direct a comment to me about the Rangers the whole night! I even went for a walk around the entire concourse during each intermission to see what I could stir up, but there was nothing!
That's a problem when people are so into their team that they don't recognize a milestone by the opposition, but I guess it is understandable. You saw a pretty damned good game. Glad you got to see Henrik leading his team to a win while setting a franchise record!

Old
03-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Todd Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If Henrik got his ass here at an earlier age he could have ....
been scarred for life? LOL those were awful teams and mismanagement was at an all-time high.
Hank was better off in Sweden.

And didnt someone fall on Stralman a few games back? I remember thinking it was very serious at the time; and it would have really hurt the team.

For what he's asked to do, Stralman has easily been one of the best & most consistent Rangers the past two years.
The guy cant have a rough game or two? Especially if he's dinged up. When's he supposed to have them?
\
Knocking Stralman is a joke.

Todd Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I think Stralmans foot is bothering him. He'll bounce back.

Old
03-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
been scarred for life? LOL those were awful teams and mismanagement was at an all-time high.
To be fair, our team was pretty pathetic the first few years of his career. He was good enough to cover up the joke of a roster Sather blindly constructed. You remove Lundqvist or Jagr from those teams and we would have been a bottom feeder.

Old
03-15-2014, 12:25 AM
trilobyte

Remarking on the fact that Stralman is not playing as well as we think he usually does is not a joke, no point in denying our accuracy in observation, what purpose would that serve?
I do appreciate hearing that he may have an injury. That could be affecting his play, if true. He is a dependable and consistent player, but he is playing like rather sub-par right now, like the team in general.

Old
03-15-2014, 12:30 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Good to see them put forth a better effort. Really good for Hags to get a game like this and possibly get himself jump started some. As always, love Hank, McD and G. McD is pretty much always my player of the game. Whatever happens, plays a minimum of 1/3 of the game and is, IMO, the base on which the whole rest of the team sits. A quiet, not noteworthy game from McD is still one where the foundation of almost everything else is forged. He's just becoming a legit franchise D, in my mind. If his offense just takes one more step he's in my conversation for top five in the league.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

pretty horrible game by the boys tonight.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:33 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Stralman has not been playing his best game.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:34 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzu4u View Post
Good job by the boys pulling out the win.

Hank was solid. Hagelin with his best game in awhile. Girardi beast moding.

And I've gotta say, I think John Moore continues to look better and better since the DZ trade, for whatever reason. He was drawing a lot of praise throughout the Wild game from the commentators, and I thought he made some solid plays this game. Obviously he's still a work in progress, but I think his confidence really seems to be growing and he seems less afraid to try and make an impact. Me like.

It's gotta say something for his play that despite the team's recent struggles, everyone brings up the Callahan trade and I don't think I've heard a single person recently bring up regretting the Klein-DZ trade. His minutes are growing, as his AV's trust in him. From what I've seen so far, I am 100% behind the trade.
From what I've seen, Klein is far superior to MDZ, even if he doesn't score much (and he probably could if he wanted to). Also, the improvement in John Moore since he switched sides and partnered with Klein is very noticeable. While I don't love Sather trading picks for big-time names, I think he picked Nashville's pocket on this one.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Todd Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Remarking on the fact that Stralman is not playing as well as we think he usually does is not a joke, no point in denying our accuracy in observation, what purpose would that serve?
Hey, its certainly fine to critique guys, thats what fans do.
Not just here but elsewhere too I see a willingness to jump on Stralmans case, because some Ranger fans always need to villify one of their own. And so it seems they were lining Stralman up for the Rosival treatment, again entirely undeserved.
Its even sillier to single anyone out when they team is playing extremely well, which they were for a long stretch pre Olympics, and on/off post-Sochi..

Then I remembered him limping off in a game last week, and it bugs me even more cause the guy is trying to gut it out.

Todd Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:37 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
I agree he wasn't playing up to Stralman standards the previous two games, but I thought he played really well vs. the Wings.

Tonight was an average night for him.
He has trouble against bigger physical teams. To his credit, he picked up his game in the 3rd period, made a good play that drew the penalty on Kane.

Winnipeg is better than they seem, especially up front. Their goalie sucks, and their forwards are bad in helping out a so-so defense.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Stralman has not been playing his best game.
For a while. This is the 1st time in his career he's playing in the top 4 during a stretch drive, and I can't say I am impressed.

I would bump up Klein with Staal and see if that settles the pairings down a bit... Staal-Stralman has been pretty bad since the Olympic break.

Klein has been playing a mistake free game since he's been here. I don't see there being anything to complain about.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:58 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
pretty horrible game by the boys tonight.
What's new? At least they mustered enough effort to not continue letting the playoffs slip away. That alone is somewhat refreshing, because I felt like they all had serious Valium habits the last couple of games. 26 minutes from G and McD and a decent game from Hank at least.

Old
03-15-2014, 01:43 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
For a while. This is the 1st time in his career he's playing in the top 4 during a stretch drive, and I can't say I am impressed.

I would bump up Klein with Staal and see if that settles the pairings down a bit... Staal-Stralman has been pretty bad since the Olympic break.

Klein has been playing a mistake free game since he's been here. I don't see there being anything to complain about.
That 3rd pairing would be unbearable.

Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 02:19 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
That 3rd pairing would be unbearable.
I'm fine if the third pairing is onlu seeing 12-15 mins per game...

I mean, isn't that what a third pairing is for??? lol

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 02:28 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I agree Stralman's play has slipped of late, but given the general quality of his play over the last two years, I'm more than willing to cut him a little slack, especially since he may be nursing an injury as Todd and others have pointed out. Honestly, the team's biggest issue by far is "the MSL problem."

Focusing on the positive for a minute (we're allowed to do that when they won, right? ), has anyone else noticed how much better John Moore has been playing? He took a definite step up when MDZ left and I think he's taken another since the deadline. I've really been impressed the last couple of games. It's very encouraging to see.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 02:37 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I agree Stralman's play has slipped of late, but given the general quality of his play over the last two years, I'm more than willing to cut him a little slack, especially since he may be nursing an injury as Todd and others have pointed out. Honestly, the team's biggest issue by far is "the MSL problem."

Focusing on the positive for a minute (we're allowed to do that when they won, right? ), has anyone else noticed how much better John Moore has been playing? He took a definite step up when MDZ left and I think he's taken another since the deadline. I've really been impressed the last couple of games. It's very encouraging to see.
It wasn't something that occurred to me until you brought it up, but it does seem like Moore has been noticeable for a lot of positive things lately and a lot less negatives than we've been accustomed to. I noticed his play improved initially after pairing him with Klein and hadn't really thought about it since, but he has had some pretty solid games lately, now that you mention it. It would be nice if he could just get it all together and keep it that way, as an actual solid third pair guy. I think it's unlikely he ever reaches his original potential but his pedigree just seems to high for him to truly bust and not at least be a reliable regular. So far, reliable is something that's still being worked on, but he has had some promising games.

Old
03-15-2014, 03:37 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Hey, its certainly fine to critique guys, thats what fans do.
Not just here but elsewhere too I see a willingness to jump on Stralmans case, because some Ranger fans always need to villify one of their own. And so it seems they were lining Stralman up for the Rosival treatment, again entirely undeserved.
Its even sillier to single anyone out when they team is playing extremely well, which they were for a long stretch pre Olympics, and on/off post-Sochi..

Then I remembered him limping off in a game last week, and it bugs me even more cause the guy is trying to gut it out.
We are each entitled to our opinions.

I really like Stralman, and would like to see him remain a Blueshirt.