HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's a unique type of shot?

Old
03-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Runeskor

vCash: 500
What's a unique type of shot?

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a less used type of shot to practice, preferably one that is fast (accuracy doesn't matter, as long as its fast) and that is different from the standard slap shot or backhand. It can be a variation though.

I'm just tired of the same old wrist shot or snap shot and want something new (it doesn't need to be the best shot) but something more unique.

Thanks!

Runeskor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:31 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runeskor View Post
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a less used type of shot to practice, preferably one that is fast (accuracy doesn't matter, as long as its fast) and that is different from the standard slap shot or backhand. It can be a variation though.

I'm just tired of the same old wrist shot or snap shot and want something new (it doesn't need to be the best shot) but something more unique.

Thanks!
You can try working on toe-dragging the puck into a snap shot to change the angle on the goalie on the fly.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Runeskor

Quote:
You can try working on toe-dragging the puck into a snap shot to change the angle on the goalie on the fly.
Isn't a wristshot harder than a snapshot?

Also, the unique shot can be a variation or a certain player's way of shooting.

Old
03-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

vCash: 1040
Here's a unique type of shot I always try to imitate. If you can pull this one off, you'll be eating goalies alive. It's a wrist shot off the toe of the blade, but he drags it towards his body to flex the stick and violently snaps his wrists towards the target. One of the best snipes of all time.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:13 AM
Fanned On It

Semin has such a weird way of transferring his weight on his wrist-shots. It's like he twists his body like a screw.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Semin has such a weird way of transferring his weight on his wrist-shots. It's like he twists his body like a screw.
Hence the unique aspect of his shot. The power he gets on his wrist shot is unique too, it must be somewhere between 80-90 mph.

Old
03-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Hence the unique aspect of his shot. The power he gets on his wrist shot is unique too, it must be somewhere between 80-90 mph.
Not a chance he is hitting that speed. most guys struggle to hit the mid 80s on slap shots without the big walkup you see in the skills challenge.

Beezeral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Runeskor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Not a chance he is hitting that speed. most guys struggle to hit the mid 80s on slap shots without the big walkup you see in the skills challenge.
Actually, what onetimesniper said is very plausible.

Wrist shots are normally nowhere close to slapshot speed, but the advantage that the wrist shot has over the snapshot, is that you can increase its speed with a longer wind-up.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Semin's wrist shot is harder than a mediocre slapshot because he just got so much wind-up that his wrist shot became a laser beam.

Old
03-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

Quote:
In the NHL, I'm pretty sure that the average slap shot is roughly 90 mph. In terms of power, Semin's wrist shot = a mediocre slap shot, which is still insane. It's maybe closer to 75-80 mph.

Old
03-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

Knucklepuck

Chau Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
In the NHL, I'm pretty sure that the average slap shot is roughly 90 mph. In terms of power, Semin's wrist shot = a mediocre slap shot, which is still insane. It's maybe closer to 75-80 mph.
No it's not. You are all thinking the slap shots you see in the all star game skills competition are the same shots you see in a game. They aren't even close. Nobody gets a 5 stride windup into a shot in a game. I'm sure there are a few guys who can get an in game shot into the lower to mid 90s on a regular occasion, but the norm is definitely not in the 90s.

Beezeral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

Quote:
No it's not. You are all thinking the slap shots you see in the all star game skills competition are the same shots you see in a game. They aren't even close. Nobody gets a 5 stride windup into a shot in a game. I'm sure there are a few guys who can get an in game shot into the lower to mid 90s on a regular occasion, but the norm is definitely not in the 90s.
But you also see some players taking slapshots while skating at full speed.
I bet that cannon ball was around 90 mph.