HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Even Rossi says Orpik stinks

Old
03-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Jules Winnfield

vCash: 500
Jesse, nice to see you posting over here more, even if it took someone talking about Mcnugget ****

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:06 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

If Letang is back no on Niskanen, it would suck to lose him for nothing or to not have him in general but they've hoarded these defensemen and need to start using them, and the money is needed for the forwards and questionable goalie situation.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:10 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

I'm honestly just not really sure what to think about Niskanen. Letang's situation doesn't help, either.

He's having an absolutely undeniable year. And is making it extremely difficult on the Penguins to not sign him. But I have to echo what Jesse said about sustainability and the potential of his play being an aberration. The situations are admittedly different... but Dupuis looked like he had "figured things out" too.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:25 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

What is Niskanen real worth on the open market is what I'm interested in? Looking forward to July to see how other teams view him.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I'm honestly just not really sure what to think about Niskanen. Letang's situation doesn't help, either.

He's having an absolutely undeniable year. And is making it extremely difficult on the Penguins to not sign him. But I have to echo what Jesse said about sustainability and the potential of his play being an aberration. The situations are admittedly different... but Dupuis looked like he had "figured things out" too.
I hear what you are saying, but Niskanen isn't doing this with Sidney Crosby as his partner. He has been consistently fantastic regardless of who he is playing with. Sure he won't play like this forever (if he did he'd be worth well north of 5mil), but I don't expect to see a huge drop off. I'm torn on what to do with him.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Rico Fatastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
What is Niskanen real worth on the open market is what I'm interested in? Looking forward to July to see how other teams view him.
The UFA market for defensemen this summer does not look good at all, especially if we are willing to assume that both Boyle and Timonen retire or re-sign with their current teams. Niskanen could honestly be the most sought-after UFA defenseman this summer. I wouldn't be surprised for one second to see a team like Florida offer him $6 million or more over 7 years.

Rico Fatastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:37 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I agree. I'd give him 4mil as well. I just wonder what that means for all these dmen knocking on the door. At some point we have to give these guys permanent roles. Since I don't see Shero trading Scuds, moving on from Nisky makes sense. Honestly, I'm torn.
Look at the market. At WORSE he's a number 4, and look what number 4's are making on the market and try telling me that's not a good deal.

There's so much up in the air right now with this team with Letang's health and how the staff seems determined to get rid of Despres, are we really going to get rid of one half of our best defensive pairing because we're terrified to pay him about 500K more than they feel he deserves?

Rob Scuder and Brooks Orpik are the guys you make a point to get rid of when your cash strapped, not 26 year old defensemen entering their primes.

And I'll tell you something else: based on this team's history, if they DO get rid of Nisky, don't think for a second it's because they're going to go with a youth movement. How much would any of you be willing to bet that they pick up another 2.5M - 3M dollar veteran to fill in the void?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:39 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

If Niskanen wants $4 million per over 5, I take it and chuckle about his agent not putting 2 and 2 together and realizing that's already under market value now and that the price of 26 year old 2 way D is about to skyrocket. Even for guys like Niskanen.

As far as "where he'd be used" vis a vis the incoming avalanche of D, none of the right-handed ones really do what he does (Ruopp seems to be a bruiser more than a two way guy). Martin's got one year left; I'm okay with delaying somebody until his contract runs out.

And it isn't as if there won't be chances in-season due to injuries. We know there will.

If we let Orpik go (*crosses fingers*), let Martin play out his contract...the only real obstacle to anybody is Scuderi, who, judging by his play of late, we would need to hope runs out the balance of his contract on fake-IR retirement (see also: Hatcher, Rathje).

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:40 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Look at the market. At WORSE he's a number 4, and look what number 4's are making on the market and try telling me that's not a good deal.

There's so much up in the air right now with this team with Letang's health and how the staff seems determined to get rid of Despres, are we really going to get rid of one half of our best defensive pairing because we're terrified to pay him about 500K more than they feel he deserves?

Rob Scuder and Brooks Orpik are the guys you make a point to get rid of when your cash strapped, not 26 year old defensemen entering their primes.

And I'll tell you something else: based on this team's history, if they DO get rid of Nisky, don't think for a second it's because they're going to go with a youth movement. How much would any of you be willing to bet that they pick up another 2.5M - 3M dollar veteran to fill in the void?
The way I see it, on the open market, he's probably worth close to $6 million per if he has an agent who knows what he's doing and if MN is willing to go anywhere.

Old
03-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Joejosh999

Jesse have you commented here?
http://www.pensburgh.com/2014/3/13/5...-deux#comments

I've kind of given up with hockey monster, he's all over DKs blog defending Orpik....now Scuds too....

Joejosh999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:26 PM
cygnus47

If he accepted 20M/5 I would personally call his agent and laugh at him for not doing his job.

cygnus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 06:33 PM
JTG

I think if Rossi wasn't so trigger happy, he'd be a better reporter. Why is Bob McKenzie seen as the best in the business? It's certainly not because he posts 50 tweets a day, or really talks that much. He gained his credibility by saying things that are true. If McKenzie says it...it's true. Rossi could benefit from being like him.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 06:40 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

On Niskanen: even if his numbers are his real numbers moving forward (ie not just some weird statistical outlier or contract year bump), is he going to be put into a situation to have this kind of impact moving forward? When Letang comes back, Letang plays 25+ minutes a night. That will marginalize the **** out of Niskanen.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Someone has a reading comprehension problem. That article is an excuse for Orpik's bad play, not a criticism of it.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 12:39 AM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejosh999 View Post
Jesse have you commented here?
http://www.pensburgh.com/2014/3/13/5...-deux#comments

I've kind of given up with hockey monster, he's all over DKs blog defending Orpik....now Scuds too....

This article is horrible. You're telling me this person is staff at this website?

If so, the Rangers blogger should probably let him now that Tortorella was fired almost a year ago. The days of five guys packed in the slot blocking shots are over in MSG, unless the Canucks happen to be visiting.

And I had to stop reading the linked explanation of why possession metrics don't matter for D about five sentences in to keep my head from exploding.

Example:

Quote:
But from there the work just begins. What's important once you're forced to play in the Dzone is...dmen need to get shoulder to shoulder by the net and along the boards so cycles can be disrupted and sticks must be lifted in front all so flower in the cage has the sunlight necessary to be in full bloom.
What the ****ing **** does this mean?

And "once you're forced to play in the Dzone?" The entire strategic concept of this team relies on NOT being forced to play in the "Dzone." If you're stuck in the "Dzone," you're not doing your job (not that the coach would ever object or take measures to correct this unless you're Bortuzzo or Despres).

This website needs better bloggers (not to mention better sentence writers...I thought SBnation had an editorial process?) if this is the standard that's currently being allowed.

Last edited by billybudd: 03-15-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old
03-15-2014, 02:20 AM
canadianguy77

Brooks Orpik was "supposed" to be Scott Stevens 2.0. Let's not forget that.

canadianguy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
On Niskanen: even if his numbers are his real numbers moving forward (ie not just some weird statistical outlier or contract year bump), is he going to be put into a situation to have this kind of impact moving forward? When Letang comes back, Letang plays 25+ minutes a night. That will marginalize the **** out of Niskanen.
if we keep him, I think its because we don't expect to keep Martin next off-season.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Pens1566

vCash: 591
Nisky at 4 per with Orpik gone is a no-brainer. You don't know if/when Letang is coming back and Martin's deal is up after next season. Can't fill the back end with kids.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote