HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier's offense is coming, and it's scary

Old
03-15-2014, 03:16 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
Sean Couturier's offense is coming, and it's scary

9 points in his last 10 games while playing elite defense

He's grown tremendously this season, and now it's clear when he has the puck that he has that ability to slow down the game a bit and make the right pass

After today's game I just can't stop talking about him with everyone, he's just straight up amazing

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:23 PM
The Dream
User Registered

He always seems to perform well against the pens. I don't want to get to optimistic with only 9 points in 10 games. But, it is certainly encouraging to see him produce. If Couturier can continue growing it is possible he could be our #2 center of the future, while putting up 60+ points, with elite defense. Then all we need to worry about is fortify our defense and give Giroux a top tier LW.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Anthems

vCash: 102
So god damn happy he got passed down to us in the draft. I love the Carter for Voracek and CBJ's 1st Round pick (8th overall) more and more every day.

I could see Couturier being the leader of this team down the road, easily. Just a beast.

I'm terrified Holmgren will trade him...

Anthems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:36 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthems View Post
So god damn happy he got passed down to us in the draft. I love the Carter for Voracek and CBJ's 1st Round pick (8th overall) more and more every day.

I could see Couturier being the leader of this team down the road, easily. Just a beast.

nope, not going to happen.

You'll see B. Schenn moved before Couturier, and I don't think Schenn is going anywhere either

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:41 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

I loved his shift that eventually lead to Lecavalier's goal. Couturier stickhandled in and crashed the net, which created a bunch of havoc and a great scoring chance. He is really coming around

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

People complain about Berube sometimes but you have to give him credit. Under his guidance Couts is becoming a better player. He's putting him in positions to succeed. I'd like to see more of Giroux and Couts on the same line from time to time. Lavy never did that. His ice time has also increased under Berube. He was averaging 15mins a game last year now he's averaging 19mins a game this year.

If his offensive growth continues I wouldn't mind Schenn being packaged for a top defenseman. Of course keeping both would probably be the best thing to do.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Broad Street Elite

Next step in his evolution will be taking pucks to the net. He has progressed tremendously as you've all mentioned, but he still settles for a weak shot rather than use his body to take it at the goalie. It will come.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Giroux, Couturier, Simmonds, and Mason are the four players I am not the least bit afraid of being traded.

Next year: Sean Couturier = Ryan Johansen

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Next step in his evolution will be taking pucks to the net. He has progressed tremendously as you've all mentioned, but he still settles for a weak shot rather than use his body to take it at the goalie. It will come.
today he made some sick dangles right at the goalie, and put a backhander right on the stick of downie or read who had a wide open net. That was by far his most impressive play today.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty but Good View Post
Giroux, Couturier, Simmonds, and Mason are the four players I am not the least bit afraid of being traded.

as much as i would love that to happen i just dont see it happening. Johansen's season has been awesome, he is so talented, and I think he is going to be a top 10 center for a while.

Old
03-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Physically he has yet to stop putting more on his frame. Couts will be an absolute monster in his prime. He will start doing those power moves more as you mentioned BSE, when he continues to get stronger. His skating will get a little better as he continues to build his lower body strength. It just comes with time.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Physically he has yet to stop putting more on his frame. Couts will be an absolute monster in his prime. He will start doing those power moves more as you mentioned BSE, when he continues to get stronger. His skating will get a little better as he continues to build his lower body strength. It just comes with time.
Agreed. I wasn't trying to be Debbie-Downer, but more just try to say "There's more there". He is going to be an animal as he fills out and becomes more aggressive. You can see it building towards that.

On a side note, what I'm talking about is really want we are seeing out of Raffl. Confidence and ability to take the play to the goalie rather than settling for the sharp angle shot, especially on a rush.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Adam Warlock

I remember when he was drafted a scout said something along the lines of "the great thing about Sean is not only can he shutdown the other teams best player...but he can out score him".

That quote stuck with me and we are really seeing it now. He was the best player on the ice today and just keeps getting better. I know his defense + 50 points would be remarkable, but I really believe he will have some seasons north of 70 points in his career. His hockey sense is unreal.

Having him and G down the middle moving forward is just scary for opposing coaches. If they can just get the right supporting cast those two can win a cup for us, no doubt in my mind.

Adam Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:15 PM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Agreed. I wasn't trying to be Debbie-Downer, but more just try to say "There's more there". He is going to be an animal as he fills out and becomes more aggressive. You can see it building towards that.

On a side note, what I'm talking about is really want we are seeing out of Raffl. Confidence and ability to take the play to the goalie rather than settling for the sharp angle shot, especially on a rush.
oh god yes i absolutely love how coots has been this year, he's just going to be a complete beast and raffl good god kid is good enough to man third line center if we move schenn for a d man

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Codith

Looking back, I would have traded Carter straight up for Coots, but then throw in Jake on top of that lol

Dat beard though, it's like his confidence booster looking like a lumber jack

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 06:14 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

He's become alot harder to knock off the puck and he is good at taking it away from opponents on the boards as well. Even if he never finds his wrist shot he'll likley have some 40-50 assists seasons down the road because he is constantly creating scoring chances using his size.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 06:35 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Ya know how ya might have a good player on a team, but you just don't really care for him for some weird reason? That is how Couturier is, or at least has been. I will say that I am very expressed with him this season. He had a bit of a sophomore slump last season. But damn, I am impressed this season.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Wiqkid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty but Good View Post

Someone brought up in the game thread that Homer first wanted Johansen and Voracek. We "settled" for 8th and Voracek. Either way would have been a fleecing lol. And to think how mad we are about trading JVR. CBJ could have had:

Jenner - Johansen - Horton
Dubinsky - Couturier - Voracek
Foligno - Anisimov - Atkinson
ETC

Wiqkid* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthems View Post
I think you can sleep peacefully knowing this won't happen.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:14 PM
FLYERSFAN18

He and Giroux look really good during the rare occasions they are on the ice together.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:18 PM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
He and Giroux look really good during the rare occasions they are on the ice together.
yea i wish they'd live giroux back to the wing and bring up coots but i guess that's just a fantasy since berube never changes his lines

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Giroux is not getting moved to wing.

Everyone take a few minutes and read that over a couple of times. I don't know why people keep bring that up as if it's even remotely possible.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:26 PM
JGalt

G plays center when he goes out with Couts and Read anyways.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
G plays center when he goes out with Couts and Read anyways.
That is what Couturier allows Giroux to believe.

Old
03-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That is what Couturier allows Giroux to believe.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote