HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Niskanen appreciation thread

View Poll Results: What to do with Nisky?
Trade him at TDL, we need those wingers badly 11 10.78%
Donīt trade him at TDL, we need him for this season. Donīt re-sign him, though 5 4.90%
Re-sign him but only if he wants less than 4M 66 64.71%
Re-sign him no matter what 20 19.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-14-2014, 05:30 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Scuds is a fine player. But we have other, younger, cheaper players available and with both Scuds and Nisky in the line-up next year we will be seeing one of Despres or Bortuzzo in the press-box every night. And we may have to let Niskanen -- a better player -- walk in the off-season.

Scuderi may not be a problem in the line-up, but he is a roadblock in the depth chart who doesn't provide enough to be worth blocking the young guys. Every time Despres or Bortuzzo watches a game from the press box while healthy it is evidence that somebody has made a mistake building our defense.
I haven't been all that impressed with Bort this season. We're not a worse team without him in the lineup. Especially when we're healthy.

We signed Scuds to be a shutdown presence in the playoffs. Despres ain't that at this point of his career. Maatta has kept Despres out of the lineup.

It was obvious we weren't moving Brooks. And will likely let him walk this summer. And Scuds is going to be given at least a year here to see what he brings in the postseason.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:34 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
It's hard to predict how ready a player is for the NHL. All of them are different. I don't think too many people here were claiming Olli Maatta would be ready this year and he is. It doesn't mean Pouliot will be ready next year but it's certainly possible.
From what I understand, DP's greatest quality is his hockey sense. As is Maatta's. I think he'll be here sooner than later. And despite DB's odd roster decisions, I see him giving that opportunity to DP as soon as 2014 training camp.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I haven't been all that impressed with Bort this season. We're not a worse team without him in the lineup. Especially when we're healthy.

We signed Scuds to be a shutdown presence in the playoffs. Despres ain't that at this point of his career. Maatta has kept Despres out of the lineup.

It was obvious we weren't moving Brooks. And will likely let him walk this summer. And Scuds is going to be given at least a year here to see what he brings in the postseason.
I know why he was brought in. I know he won't be moved either. I still don't like the move. I think Bort and a 2.5-3M 3rd liner (Matt Cooke?)would make us a better team than Scuderi does.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:00 PM
joeyjake5

Quote:
I know why he was brought in. I know he won't be moved either. I still don't like the move. I think Bort and a 2.5-3M 3rd liner (Matt Cooke?)would make us a better team than Scuderi does.
Absolutely, Scuds was a shero unnecessary mistake.

joeyjake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:43 PM
NMK11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjake5 View Post
Absolutely, Scuds was a shero unnecessary mistake.
Scuderi isn't necessarily a mistake. Scuderi plus Orpik is a mistake. Playing Orpik 20+ minutes a night is a mistake. Putting Scuderi with either Orpik or Bortuzzo or Engelland is a mistake. Signing Scuderi by itself was not a mistake.

NMK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Scuds is a fine player. But we have other, younger, cheaper players available and with both Scuds and Nisky in the line-up next year we will be seeing one of Despres or Bortuzzo in the press-box every night. And we may have to let Niskanen -- a better player -- walk in the off-season.

Scuderi may not be a problem on the ice, but he is a roadblock in the depth chart who doesn't provide enough to be worth blocking the young guys. Every time Despres or Bortuzzo watches a game from the press box it is evidence that somebody has made a mistake building our defense.
Yet another reason to let Niskanen walk. If the Penguins re-sign him, then they have two roadblocks. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Yet another reason to let Niskanen walk. If the Penguins re-sign him, then they have two roadblocks. Two wrongs don't make a right.
that's why I'm saying we should get rid of Scuderi to keep Niskanen. Orpik and Engo gone with Martin possibly gone next year means we should keep one of Scuds or Nisky, but not both. And Nisky is a better hockey player, a better asset if it comes down to moving him later, and allows us to get something for Scuderi this off-season.

Sadly, I don't see moving Scuderi as something Shero will even consider.

Old
03-15-2014, 03:34 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

I'm with Madden on this. You don't overpay for a future #5 D-Man. Give him a the choice to stay for less pay or walk.

Besides, we haven't even seen him in the playoffs yet and he was brutal the last 2. Regular season is meaningless.

OGBobbyFarnham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
that's why I'm saying we should get rid of Scuderi to keep Niskanen. Orpik and Engo gone with Martin possibly gone next year means we should keep one of Scuds or Nisky, but not both. And Nisky is a better hockey player, a better asset if it comes down to moving him later, and allows us to get something for Scuderi this off-season.

Sadly, I don't see moving Scuderi as something Shero will even consider.
Given what Niskanen could get paid on the open market this off season, Scuderi's deal will look like a bargain.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:07 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
I'm with Madden on this. You don't overpay for a future #5 D-Man. Give him a the choice to stay for less pay or walk.

Besides, we haven't even seen him in the playoffs yet and he was brutal the last 2. Regular season is meaningless.
Hard not to agree

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Given what Niskanen could get paid on the open market this off season, Scuderi's deal will look like a bargain.
When I say I want to keep Niskanen, its assuming we get him at a decent price. I agree we shouldn't overpay for him. I'd rather a 4.5M Niskanen than what we have Scuds for though.

Old
03-15-2014, 04:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
When I say I want to keep Niskanen, its assuming we get him at a decent price. I agree we shouldn't overpay for him. I'd rather a 4.5M Niskanen than what we have Scuds for though.
I'd rather have a 5M Martin than a 4.5M Niskanen. I'd rather have a 4.5M Niskanen than a 7.25M Letang. But, the Pens can afford all three no more than they can afford extending Orpik with Scuderi here.

I'm sure there are about a half dozen punch lines there, so feel free to indulge.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'd rather have a 5M Martin than a 4.5M Niskanen. I'd rather have a 4.5M Niskanen than a 7.25M Letang. But, the Pens can afford all three no more than they can afford extending Orpik with Scuderi here.

I'm sure there are about a half dozen punch lines there, so feel free to indulge.
I'd rather have a defense of Martin, Letang, Despres, Bortuzzo, Maatta, and Niskanen.

A signed Lemieux jersey and a souvenir puck with a thank you note for Scuderi, Engelland, and Orpik and a swift kick in the rear to gtfo.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Chasing #3

vCash: 0
If Orpik is re-signed and Niskanen is let walk (assuming relatively close salary demands), I'll lose it.

It will also be evidence this organization is ****ing clueless. I'm sorry, but if people running this team can't see that Orpik is done, at least in terms of being a top four blueliner, then I have zero faith in their decision making.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:58 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

After the year he's had he is going to want 5 a year according to rumor. We have all these young D-men why not plug them in and save some cap.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
After the year he's had he is going to want 5 a year according to rumor. We have all these young D-men why not plug them in and save some cap.
for me it comes down to what the plan is for Martin. If we plan to extend him, it makes sense to let Nisky leave. If we don't know if we can keep Martin, then Nisky would be nice to have around. The key would be to avoid a NTC.