HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Wings ripe for picking again

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2007, 10:57 PM
  #26
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
yeah whatever keep grasping at straws.
Likewise.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:57 PM
  #27
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,668
vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I think of all the 'top' teams, I think the likely candidate for implosion is the Sharks. Something about that team just screams implosion to me.
Sharkies have a TON of young assets that can be dealt. I expect them to load up and pick up one of the big forwards and perhaps a stay at home d-man before deadline day.

I think the Sharks can beat any team in the west in a 7 game series.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:59 PM
  #28
gr8haluschak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Not good, excellent. The cup isn't awarded for regular season placings. 3 cups in that time is pretty impressive considering the competition. There are 30 teams vying for it. The fact they finished that high in the regular season every year is a feat in itself.
oh BS, for the majority of that time it was five or six teams at most teams competing for that cup - the wings, avs, stars, St Louis, Philly (who bought their teams) and devils.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:01 PM
  #29
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
oh BS, for the majority of that time it was five or six teams at most teams competing for that cup - the wings, avs, stars, St Louis, Philly (who bought their teams) and devils.
OK so 3 cups X 6 teams = 18 years for each to get 3 . They did it in 12 years - they were good. It wasn't given out for free. They earned it. This is a ridiculous debate. You will not hear anyone say the wings of the late 90's early 2000's sucked. Did they underachieve? Perhaps a bit - but they weren't winning a dozen cups thats for sure. Did the Oilers of the 80's underachieve for only winning 5? Maybe, but you don't see any of us whining,.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
  #30
gr8haluschak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Likewise.
yeah you are right like i said probably 40% of those shots were from the outside perimeter but yeah the Wings just dominated the oilers by astronomical proportions. Added to that the two wings wins were because of luck, oh sorry i forgot it was their skill that goals deflected off of players or it was skill to throw picks.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
  #31
oil slick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Sharkies have a TON of young assets that can be dealt. I expect them to load up and pick up one of the big forwards and perhaps a stay at home d-man before deadline day.

I think the Sharks can beat any team in the west in a 7 game series.
Hey - you might be right... but even if they add a big name, I still that that team will crumble. Honestly, I can't remember anything like last year. They were a much better team, playing great hockey... and they crumbled. Absolutely crumbled. I've even seen it in regular season games. They get rattled.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:05 PM
  #32
gr8haluschak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
OK so 3 cups X 6 teams = 18 years for each to get 3 . They did it in 12 years - they were good. It wasn't given out for free. They earned it. This is a ridiculous debate. You will not hear anyone say the wings of the late 90's early 2000's sucked. Did they underachieve? Perhaps a bit - but they weren't winning a dozen cups thats for sure. Did the Oilers of the 80's underachieve for only winning 5? Maybe, but you don't see any of us whining,.
what the hell are you even talking about- fact is if you finish top five every year for damn near 15 years and only walk away with three cups you are a choker plain and simple, especially if you fall in the first or second round as many times as they did.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:08 PM
  #33
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,668
vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
Hey - you might be right... but even if they add a big name, I still that that team will crumble. Honestly, I can't remember anything like last year. They were a much better team, playing great hockey... and they crumbled. Absolutely crumbled. I've even seen it in regular season games. They get rattled.
Torres turned that series around. They were killing us. I honestly believe they would've swept us if not for that hit on Michalek.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:12 PM
  #34
oil slick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Torres turned that series around. They were killing us. I honestly believe they would've swept us if not for that hit on Michalek.
Sure - but that team should have demolished the Oilers even without Michalek, or at least put up some kind of a fight. After game three, I never felt a moments doubt that we'd win... and I'm a pretty pessimistic guy.

For a team that still had healthy Thornton, Cheechoo, Hannan, and Marleau... they were dominated.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:27 AM
  #35
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
So I woke up yesterday morning, read the paper and saw Detroit in 1st place in the west.

Honestly, as good as Hasek is, I still think that team is ripe for the picking.

Until we are mathematically out, I believe!!

IMO, Minny/Calgary would beat Detroit.
I'm not keeping my hopes up too high but they do look like they're in a lot better than last year.

Hasek is a huge difference, keep in mind they scored 17 goals in 6 games when the Oilers were playing a defensive style. If they put up that many goals against Calgary in '04, they move on. If Legace didn't stink in '06, there's a good chance they would've beat the Oilers.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:03 PM
  #36
barrel_master
Amber Heard
 
barrel_master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Yet, they'll be gone in the first 2 rounds again because they cant handle the grind of playoff hockey.
Would you care to place a wager on that? Say 9 to 1 odds in my favour avatar bet?

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:12 PM
  #37
barrel_master
Amber Heard
 
barrel_master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,922
vCash: 500
I have to emphasize how silly this all seems to me. People here are treating the recent playoff history of Detoit, a statistacly insignificant sample, as if it was some part indomitable trend. In this short thread I think I've seen every playoff platitiude and anectodal quote you could give regarding Detriot's apperent lack of success. Fact is, when it comes down to it, I think Detroit is a good team and has a pretty decent shot at winning it, even this year.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:25 PM
  #38
gr8haluschak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
I have to emphasize how silly this all seems to me. People here are treating the recent playoff history of Detoit, a statistacly insignificant sample, as if it was some part indomitable trend. In this short thread I think I've seen every playoff platitiude and anectodal quote you could give regarding Detriot's apperent lack of success. Fact is, when it comes down to it, I think Detroit is a good team and has a pretty decent shot at winning it, even this year.
how many more years do you want to go back, fact is in their last 15 playoff appearnces (where they finished in the top 5 each year) they have lost in the first two round 10 times.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:38 PM
  #39
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Ok, we will see come the playoffs. Just because it has happened doesn't mean it will happen. I wouldn't bet against the Wings. Too many character guys (Maltby, Cleary, Holmstrom, Chelios, Schneider, Lidstrom, Draper, etc.). The Oilers got lucky with outstanding goaltending and a couple nice breaks (including the Stoll OT winner and the Hemsky clincher). They will be tough, anyone is beatable.
This is the comment of your's that I really don't like. First and foremost you speak of there character guys....well they've had those guys for the last 3 seasons, add in guys like Yzerman and Shanahan, and the 2 previous years toss in Cujo....what makes you think this watered down group is going to do better? And I REALLY fail to see how you call the Hemsky clincher a "lucky break". You could say that about the Hemsky goal that tied that game(maybe you are). Also, Stoll got a lucky break on the OT goal? Debateable. But if you call that one a lucky break, what the hell would you call the Maltby OT winner??? The guy was throwing it to the net to get a change, it wasn't even a shot, and it went off Murray's stick and in. Dude, it's no fluke that this team that has finished 1st or just barely out of 1st for 3 years in a row and only have 1 series victory to show for it.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:49 PM
  #40
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
This is the comment of your's that I really don't like. First and foremost you speak of there character guys....well they've had those guys for the last 3 seasons, add in guys like Yzerman and Shanahan, and the 2 previous years toss in Cujo....what makes you think this watered down group is going to do better? And I REALLY fail to see how you call the Hemsky clincher a "lucky break". You could say that about the Hemsky goal that tied that game(maybe you are). Also, Stoll got a lucky break on the OT goal? Debateable. But if you call that one a lucky break, what the hell would you call the Maltby OT winner??? The guy was throwing it to the net to get a change, it wasn't even a shot, and it went off Murray's stick and in. Dude, it's no fluke that this team that has finished 1st or just barely out of 1st for 3 years in a row and only have 1 series victory to show for it.
Not going to debate these points. The Hemsky clincher was on a busted play where Hemsky was lazy getting out of the zone and was lucky the puck was turned over - he goes from lazy non-backchecker to series clincher - lucky. The Stoll goal was a wild bounce in and around the net leaving a mid-air bang in - lucky. Detroit is not watered down by any stretch. They have a good team are in a fortunate division. All I am saying is they will not be a pushover come post-season. To argue otherwise is a little premature.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:56 PM
  #41
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
In a 7 game series I'd take Minnesota and Lemaire system to beat the Wings. The Wings will struggle in the playoffs until they replace Datsyuk with a legitimate two-way, gritty, skilled centerman. He's not a leader, he's not a competitor and he's not a winnner. Zetterberg is fine, but the Wings are not at all scary in the playoffs.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 06:04 PM
  #42
GuloGulo
Registered User
 
GuloGulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: trunkofacamaro
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
In a 7 game series I'd take Minnesota and Lemaire system to beat the Wings. The Wings will struggle in the playoffs until they replace Datsyuk with a legitimate two-way, gritty, skilled centerman. He's not a leader, he's not a competitor and he's not a winnner. Zetterberg is fine, but the Wings are not at all scary in the playoffs.
Well he's already two-way and skilled. Not very gritty, no. He isn't playing center this season aside from odd faceoffs. Datsyuk's defensive game is totally fine. Now Robert Lang on the other hand...

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 06:12 PM
  #43
oil slick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
I think the Wings are dangerous, but I've got to say, I thought their defense gave up a lot of odd man rushes to the Oilers last year. The Oilers didn't get that many shots, but I do recall alot of them being breakaways and two-on-ones... we'll see I guess.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:25 PM
  #44
TorontoWingsFan
Registered User
 
TorontoWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Samoa
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Man this is rich. Edmonton is looking primed to miss the post season yet already being pipped to defeat Detroit.

Memo to some people, 1 run to the final in, what, 16 years isn't more prestrigious than 3 Stanley Cups and 4 finals appearences in less time.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
  #45
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
the Wings will not finish first in the West. the Preds will. if Hasek goes down so do the Wings

let's just make the playoffs and then talk about who the Oil will play.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:39 PM
  #46
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,355
vCash: 500
Detroit's a great team anyway you look at it. As a poster stated by the stats. They are built to win in the regular season but not as tough in the playoffs, yet they still won some Cups.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:41 PM
  #47
TorontoWingsFan
Registered User
 
TorontoWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Samoa
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan View Post
the Wings will not finish first in the West. the Preds will. if Hasek goes down so do the Wings
It will be close at least.

For a team in the last 4 years to have lost guys like Yzerman, Shanahan and Fedorov to still be competitive says alot. Especially considering it was one of the sides hit very hard with the spending restrictions. It's not easy to go from a $60+ million payroll to a $42 million one and remain competitive.

If Hasek stays healthy Wings could win it all.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
  #48
barrel_master
Amber Heard
 
barrel_master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
how many more years do you want to go back, fact is in their last 15 playoff appearnces (where they finished in the top 5 each year) they have lost in the first two round 10 times.
Just off hand, it seems to me that your criterion for evaluating teams is flawed. How many teams have had more made it to the conference finals more then 5 times in the past 10 years? IF I recal correctly, NJ has also "only" made it to the conference finals 5 times in the past 15 years as well. I'll also note that, unfortunately, playoffs are a poor indicator when it comes to a teams ability... seriously. Given the number of teams that could be corralated to this current one, it's almost impossible to judge the current team just based on previous playoff performances.

But, if you think that they'll obviously fail, I'll extend the same wager to you... 9 to 1 odds in my favour avatar bet that Detroit makes it past the first 2 rounds. We can discuss details if you wish.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.