HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Proposal: Trading Smyth to Anaheim

Old
02-21-2007, 01:42 PM
PuckNut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
The proposal had Lupul being sent back in addition to Smyth. Lets try to stay on the same page here.
I'd have to think Lupul's value is pretty low right now though. I like the kid and he's got alot of potential, but Getzlaf is producing this year. Burke's also said he won't want to trade him.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:55 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
I'd have to think Lupul's value is pretty low right now though. I like the kid and he's got alot of potential, but Getzlaf is producing this year. Burke's also said he won't want to trade him.
The idea is that if any team is comfortable with Lupul, its probably Anaheim. But yes, its just an idea... not claiming to be prophetic or bulletproof.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
The proposal had Lupul being sent back in addition to Smyth. Lets try to stay on the same page here.
No it doesn't. I think you are confused.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:05 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
The one dynastydays proposed did, but not the one you quoted. Just some crossed wires.

Old
02-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Smyth to ANA doesnt make sense.. they have nothing that is of any value to us.. the guys that we could use are untouchables for them. SJ has 2 1sts this year.. I would trade Smyth to them for the 2.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Pepper

Quote:
The idea is that if any team is comfortable with Lupul, its probably Anaheim. But yes, its just an idea... not claiming to be prophetic or bulletproof.
1. Ducks don't trade Getzlaf for rental, that's a 100% fact.
2. There's also very, very little chance that Penner or Perry will be traded for a rental.
3. Ducks don't really need Lupul back, like Ducks fans have said several times (not on this thread though), he was made available because he really didn't fit in to Carlyle's style. Lupul was streaky, lazy, was poor in corners, didn't contribute defensively and took stupid penalties. That 4 goal game against Avs made him look better than he really is. You might have noticed all this during this season...

Ducks probably don't make good trading partner for Oilers unless Oilers are willing to take players like Mitera, Mikkelsson or Bryzgalov in return.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander View Post
Smyth to ANA doesnt make sense.. they have nothing that is of any value to us.. the guys that we could use are untouchables for them. SJ has 2 1sts this year.. I would trade Smyth to them for the 2.
Then we could have five first round picks. That would be a little bit funny I think.

Old
02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Then we could have five first round picks. That would be a little bit funny I think.
umm 4 but yeh that would be good.. we can go for a complete overhaul and trade Lupul, Smith and Sykora for 1sts ..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
umm 4 but yeh that would be good.. we can go for a complete overhaul and trade Lupul, Smith and Sykora for 1sts ..
Oops. My miscount.

Old
02-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Kenadyan

Quote:
There isn't even a hope in hell that Ryan Smyth could fetch one of Getzlaf or Perry. I doubt as well that Smyth even comes close to the value of Bobby Ryan. Obviously the Ducks think very highly of him considering where they took him.

Smyth would return a mid to late first round pick and an average prospect.
Then Smyth will NOT be playing for the Ducks. Seeing that they don't have a 1st for the next 1 (possibly 2) years, and none of their average prospects interest the Oilers.

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Hey Scouts...

...remember how easy and relaxing last year's draft was for you guys? Well, I've got some bad news...

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
1. Ducks don't trade Getzlaf for rental, that's a 100% fact.
2. There's also very, very little chance that Penner or Perry will be traded for a rental.
3. Ducks don't really need Lupul back, like Ducks fans have said several times (not on this thread though), he was made available because he really didn't fit in to Carlyle's style. Lupul was streaky, lazy, was poor in corners, didn't contribute defensively and took stupid penalties. That 4 goal game against Avs made him look better than he really is. You might have noticed all this during this season...

Ducks probably don't make good trading partner for Oilers unless Oilers are willing to take players like Mitera, Mikkelsson or Bryzgalov in return.
Well you can dump on Lupul... and I can hardly defend him, but his value is definitely not as low as you seem to think.

The Ducks better become good trading partners with someone soon. Your window for a cup is within the next 2 probably 3 seasons, and with the .500 hockey theyve been playing since getting healthy again means they may need some reinforcements to have a shot at making the finals. Nashville made a big play, and Detroit seems to be close to adding significant help.

Burke is in a corner in some regards, and will have to give up something to get this help... I dont consider downgrading getzlaf to Lupul to be as significant as trading a couple picks/prospects outright. But thats just my opinion.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 04:25 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
um to you and pucknut

re-read my posts, i have never said trading smyth would get getzlaf.

mackaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
The one dynastydays proposed did, but not the one you quoted. Just some crossed wires.
where i my proposal did i say trade smyth for getzlaf straight up???

read all my posts.

mackaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 04:35 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
where i my proposal did i say trade smyth for getzlaf straight up???

read all my posts.
Easy there buddy. Well, you're right, you never said that. It was my mistake and I apologize for that. Someone else left out Lupul. vb I think had a trade revolving around Smyth and Getzlaf with conditional picks on both sides. Like you said though, they are unlikely to deal Getzlaf, and guys like Petersen won't help that.