HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Big Surprise ???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
  #1
Hespeler Fibretech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
A Big Surprise ???

As we approach the deadline all the talk seems to be weather we are sellers and if we aren't what type of deal will Lowe do ?

Now I'm not an Insider, but I can read between the lines. I would think our defense being what it is doesn't wake Lowe up in the middle of the night so he can high five himself, but then again nobody (including Lowe) was expecting our D to be spectacular. What he did count on was our offense to be one of the most potent in the conference. If there's anything that keeps him up at night its the fact that we are 22nd in the league for goals scored, and 26th for goals scored on the PP a far cry from the Buffalo comparisons given at the beginning of the season (Buffalo is currently 1st in the league for goals scored, San Jose 1st for special teams)

Lowe's most recent comments when asked about trade possibilities were as follows
"We'll make some trades, but I' doubt will do anything on the back end". If where I were a gambling man I would expect that the offensive shape of this team if not by the deadline, will be drastically different next season.

What do you guys think ?

Hespeler Fibretech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
  #2
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
I think the entire make up of the team at the start of next season will take on a different appearance than the one that started this year. Not just offensively and not completely in a new personelle sense either.

I am probably one of the few guys around here that becomes less and less concerned about the blue line in a next year type sense.

The hole was obvious and the offence was MIA but the way I see it is that the urgency for both of those things to get fixed was always in a 'this year' sense.

I am actually content with the notion of missing the playoffs now and my perspective on the team has actually changed significantly as a result.

Is it a little crazy that I can hardly wait for September already?

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:58 PM
  #3
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hespeler Fibretech View Post
As we approach the deadline all the talk seems to be weather we are sellers and if we aren't what type of deal will Lowe do ?

Now I'm not an Insider, but I can read between the lines. I would think our defense being what it is doesn't wake Lowe up in the middle of the night so he can high five himself, but then again nobody (including Lowe) was expecting our D to be spectacular. What he did count on was our offense to be one of the most potent in the conference. If there's anything that keeps him up at night its the fact that we are 22nd in the league for goals scored, and 26th for goals scored on the PP a far cry from the Buffalo comparisons given at the beginning of the season (Buffalo is currently 1st in the league for goals scored, San Jose 1st for special teams)

Lowe's most recent comments when asked about trade possibilities were as follows
"We'll make some trades, but I' doubt will do anything on the back end". If where I were a gambling man I would expect that the offensive shape of this team if not by the deadline, will be drastically different next season.

What do you guys think ?
I am guessing on that quote he means before the deadline. I would hope that does not include the Summer. Because unless we are going for a big UFA D if he does not trade for a D in the Summer then it would appear he is gambling our offense is going to be top 10 next year like he did this year. I am pretty sure he is more intelligent than to try the same gamble twice when he lost big on it the first time.

If you are suggesting he is only to make trades of offensive forwards for offensive forwards at the trade deadline, I do not see much point in that. I think it is safe to assume our forward group will have a quite different make up next season as opposed to the one we started this year with. MacT is what he is, so you have to play to his considerable strengths as a coach and a soft, defensively challenged skilled group of forwards does not play to his strengths, that is not a MacT team. I hope Lowe learned that this year.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:58 PM
  #4
Oilers Fan 94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I think the entire make up of the team at the start of next season will take on a different appearance than the one that started this year. Not just offensively and not completely in a new personelle sense either.

I am probably one of the few guys around here that becomes less and less concerned about the blue line in a next year type sense.

The hole was obvious and the offence was MIA but the way I see it is that the urgency for both of those things to get fixed was always in a 'this year' sense.

I am actually content with the notion of missing the playoffs now and my perspective on the team has actually changed significantly as a result.

Is it a little crazy that I can hardly wait for September already?


not one bit.....cause i cant wait till next sept. either!

Oilers Fan 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:44 PM
  #5
Hespeler Fibretech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I am guessing on that quote he means before the deadline. I would hope that does not include the Summer. Because unless we are going for a big UFA D if he does not trade for a D in the Summer then it would appear he is gambling our offense is going to be top 10 next year like he did this year. I am pretty sure he is more intelligent than to try the same gamble twice when he lost big on it the first time.

If you are suggesting he is only to make trades of offensive forwards for offensive forwards at the trade deadline, I do not see much point in that. I think it is safe to assume our forward group will have a quite different make up next season as opposed to the one we started this year with. MacT is what he is, so you have to play to his considerable strengths as a coach and a soft, defensively challenged skilled group of forwards does not play to his strengths, that is not a MacT team. I hope Lowe learned that this year.
I disagree, I don't know that our forwards were really all that skilled to begin with. KLowe stated at the beginning of the year that he was trying to build a team in the same vane as Buffalo, as they are a team built for the new NHL. Frankly, I think he failed in this regard, as it is clear that we are nowhere near as skilled as Buffalo. I don't think the game plan has changed, the last two teams that won the cup did not do so on sure defense, but rather defense by committee, and a potent offense. Yes both Calgary and Edmonton made it to the finals, but neither came home with the cup. So yes, I think he will try to bring some forwards in towards the deadline, or perhaps swing a blockbuster in the summer when he can get better value for players like Lupul should he want to trade them. As for Mac T give him the skilled team to coach and then see how much you criticize him, are you telling me that with Lindy Ruff behind the bench, our "skilled" forwards would be producing and drawing comparisons to Buffalo?

Hespeler Fibretech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 04:58 PM
  #6
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hespeler Fibretech View Post
As we approach the deadline all the talk seems to be weather we are sellers and if we aren't what type of deal will Lowe do ?

Now I'm not an Insider, but I can read between the lines. I would think our defense being what it is doesn't wake Lowe up in the middle of the night so he can high five himself, but then again nobody (including Lowe) was expecting our D to be spectacular. What he did count on was our offense to be one of the most potent in the conference. If there's anything that keeps him up at night its the fact that we are 22nd in the league for goals scored, and 26th for goals scored on the PP a far cry from the Buffalo comparisons given at the beginning of the season (Buffalo is currently 1st in the league for goals scored, San Jose 1st for special teams)

Lowe's most recent comments when asked about trade possibilities were as follows
"We'll make some trades, but I' doubt will do anything on the back end". If where I were a gambling man I would expect that the offensive shape of this team if not by the deadline, will be drastically different next season.

What do you guys think ?


you left out possibly themost important part of the quote, right after that he said "But you never know". I have the whole thing quoted in another post somewhere, when i find it i'll re-quote it here with the link to the article.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 05:01 PM
  #7
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
you left out possibly themost important part of the quote, right after that he said "But you never know". I have the whole thing quoted in another post somewhere, when i find it i'll re-quote it here with the link to the article.

And here it is



Quote:
"We're not throwing the towel in," insisted Lowe. "We've got 23 games left, five of them against Minnesota."

"We'll probably make more trades but I don't expect doing much on the back end," said Lowe. "But you never know."
LINK

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.