HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres shopping top pick?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2014, 04:35 PM
  #51
ZeroPT
Nos sumus in futurum
 
ZeroPT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,367
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
I think Ekblad is absolutely a potential franchise d-man. I also think that any one of Bennett, Reinhart or Draisaitl could turn into a very good building block or even a franchise player.
Reinhart and Bennett both have franchise player potential

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:42 PM
  #52
Selanne00008
Registered User
 
Selanne00008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC - UES
Posts: 3,191
vCash: 500
As a sabres fan right away I think no way. But, I would listen.

What about something like...

First overalls and 31st overall, for another teams top pick in 2014, plus their 2015 1st rounder?
Or I would consider a teams top prospect plus their 2015 1st.

But anything we get I do Not want to to help us win in 2014-15 season, and I would prefer the trade to be with a bubble team where their 2015 could easily be in the lottery. Think Carolina, calgary or maybe the rangers pick that Tampa got

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:43 PM
  #53
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
No it doesn't. Even if worst case scenario turns out to be RNH, I'd be ecstatic. RNH is a to Line player, you say we have a shortage of that, why would we not draft our own top line talent? Go look at the last 10 #1 picks, apart from EJ and Takupov, everyone of those have turned out to be franchise players, no team will trade a Franchise player for a #1 pick.
So Hall, Yak and RNH are all franchise players, by your own statement. Yet there is Edmonton again. So a team with 3 "franchise players" still stinks and you think adding 1 is going to turn you around?

The reason why a team might trade a pick is so that they don't have to wait for the #1 guy to become a top line talent. Stamkos, who is better than anyone in this draft, didn't have a huge impact his 1st year, and he was joining a much better team than the one in Buffalo. One could easily argue that his transition from prospect to young 50 goal scoring player happened precisely because he was joining a team that had Lecavalier and St Louis on it.

Again I'm not saying that the best thing is for Buffalo to sell the pick and dump it. I'm saying it would be foolish not to explore it.

Seemed to work pretty well for the Nordiques/Avalanche didn't it?

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
  #54
Selanne00008
Registered User
 
Selanne00008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC - UES
Posts: 3,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
So Hall, Yak and RNH are all franchise players, by your own statement. Yet there is Edmonton again. So a team with 3 "franchise players" still stinks and you think adding 1 is going to turn you around?

The reason why a team might trade a pick is so that they don't have to wait for the #1 guy to become a top line talent. Stamkos, who is better than anyone in this draft, didn't have a huge impact his 1st year, and he was joining a much better team than the one in Buffalo. One could easily argue that his transition from prospect to young 50 goal scoring player happened precisely because he was joining a team that had Lecavalier and St Louis on it.

Again I'm not saying that the best thing is for Buffalo to sell the pick and dump it. I'm saying it would be foolish not to explore it.

Seemed to work pretty well for the Nordiques/Avalanche didn't it?
I def agree there is no reason not to listen. But I think the asking price would most likely be a bit too much. But it could be a draft for draft trade. I kinda want Bennett, and if I know he is going to be there at 3 or 4, I'd move down take Bennett and we gain another pick in the process

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
  #55
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Reinhart and Bennett both have franchise player potential
Yeah, I'm on the fence about them, since everyone has a different definition of franchise player. Personally, I think they have that potential though. I don't think anyone can argue that Ekblad has franchise potential.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:06 PM
  #56
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
So Hall, Yak and RNH are all franchise players, by your own statement. Yet there is Edmonton again. So a team with 3 "franchise players" still stinks and you think adding 1 is going to turn you around?

The reason why a team might trade a pick is so that they don't have to wait for the #1 guy to become a top line talent. Stamkos, who is better than anyone in this draft, didn't have a huge impact his 1st year, and he was joining a much better team than the one in Buffalo. One could easily argue that his transition from prospect to young 50 goal scoring player happened precisely because he was joining a team that had Lecavalier and St Louis on it.

Again I'm not saying that the best thing is for Buffalo to sell the pick and dump it. I'm saying it would be foolish not to explore it.

Seemed to work pretty well for the Nordiques/Avalanche didn't it?

Just stop with the comparisons of Edmonton ... We are nothing like Edmonton ... who is flush with high skill offensive talent and lack everything else. We have already accumalated a wealth of riches on defense and are already overflowing with depth pieces with plenty more on the way... What we lack is high end offensive talent...so tell me how obtaining a Hall or RNH would be a bad thing given our current crop of prospects? We have plenty of potential of gritty 2-way forwards as well as potential secondary scoring. We have lots of other picks in the future to add to this depth and coming out of the 2015 draft we will have a bounty of assets to make trades and a willing owner to spend what is needed.

There is no comparison.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:16 PM
  #57
newdublinsensfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
vCash: 500
I don't think it's that far fetched. Assuming Buffalo drafts first, Ekblad is not necessarily their primary need, but projects as a franchise type # 1 defenceman who would be coveted by several teams. I could see Winnipeg offering Kane and their first rounder, maybe somewhere around 8 for the first pick and maybe one of Buffalo's late first rounders (St.Louis) +. If Buffalo gets the Islander's first this year (maybe 4th overall) they could draft Dal Colle at 4, and maybe Ritchie or Perlini at 8 with those two picks. Three new wingers like Kane, Perlini and DalColle would be an awesome transformation of the Buffalo forward corps within a year or two.

newdublinsensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:19 PM
  #58
ZeroPT
Nos sumus in futurum
 
ZeroPT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,367
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Yeah, I'm on the fence about them, since everyone has a different definition of franchise player. Personally, I think they have that potential though. I don't think anyone can argue that Ekblad has franchise potential.
I think that guys like Bergeron,Richards,Carter,Sharp,Seguin et all are franchise players because they can be the face of a franchise. I think Reinhart and Bennett will end up in that category. But they won't be in the Crosby,Tavares mold

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:25 PM
  #59
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
willing owner to spend what is needed.
I keep on seeing Sabres fans saying this. Cool. Good for you. Now tell me, does Edmonton have an owner unwilling to spend what is needed?

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:26 PM
  #60
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,442
vCash: 500
It's true, Tim Murray who is driving around in a truck scouting is shopping a pick he doesn't even know will be #1 or #2. Also when he doesn't know if he's getting New York's pick this year or next.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:26 PM
  #61
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFully View Post
I know you didn't, but you did say the think long and hard thing. And neither are prospects in any way. Huberdeau is in his second full season and Gudbranson his 3rd. Something like Petrovic + Howden + would be a prospect package from Florida.
Lol what a joke. Petrovic and Howden for the first overall pick. How ridiculous

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:27 PM
  #62
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I keep on seeing Sabres fans saying this. Cool. Good for you. Now tell me, does Edmonton have an owner unwilling to spend what is needed?
just stop, edmonton and buffalo's rebuild have been nothing alike.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:27 PM
  #63
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
I'd give up Reinhart and Nelson for Ekblad

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:28 PM
  #64
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I keep on seeing Sabres fans saying this. Cool. Good for you. Now tell me, does Edmonton have an owner unwilling to spend what is needed?
Has Edmonton been able to draft anyone outside of the 1st round in the last decade?

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:31 PM
  #65
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
just stop, edmonton and buffalo's rebuild have been nothing alike.
Man you guys are really stuck on that aren't you. I'm not saying Buffalo's rebuild IS like Edmonton's, I'm saying that trying to go the Edmonton root of being bottom feeder for a couple years with the hopes of getting consecutive overall #1s, which is what many Sabres fans here are saying they want (and I have no idea as to whether the Sabres front office wants that or not) is not a great strategy.

Stop beating up the strawman and address my point: going to full tank isn't good.

Focus on that please.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:32 PM
  #66
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I keep on seeing Sabres fans saying this. Cool. Good for you. Now tell me, does Edmonton have an owner unwilling to spend what is needed?
Did you deliberately ignore all the other differences in the franchises? I frankly have no idea the Oilers willingness to spend... i noted it only to reinforce the Sabres ability to do so and the different paths they are able to take during the rebuild.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:33 PM
  #67
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Man you guys are really stuck on that aren't you. I'm not saying Buffalo's rebuild IS like Edmonton's, I'm saying that trying to go the Edmonton root of being bottom feeder for a couple years with the hopes of getting consecutive overall #1s, which is what many Sabres fans here are saying they want (and I have no idea as to whether the Sabres front office wants that or not) is not a great strategy.

Stop beating up the strawman and address my point: going to full tank isn't good.

Focus on that please.

It;s already been focused on....you chose to ignore it.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:35 PM
  #68
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Man you guys are really stuck on that aren't you. I'm not saying Buffalo's rebuild IS like Edmonton's, I'm saying that trying to go the Edmonton root of being bottom feeder for a couple years with the hopes of getting consecutive overall #1s, which is what many Sabres fans here are saying they want (and I have no idea as to whether the Sabres front office wants that or not) is not a great strategy.

Stop beating up the strawman and address my point: going to full tank isn't good.

Focus on that please.
worked well for Chicago, Colorado, St. Louis and nearly every other team that had some consecutive top picks. But I guess Edmonton is the only applicable team in this scenario.

A full rebuild was needed, we were middling and were never going to become a contending team with what we had.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:36 PM
  #69
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Has Edmonton been able to draft anyone outside of the 1st round in the last decade?
Well they do have Martin Marincin on their roster, not sure what round he was in, but I don't think it was a 1st. I'm also not sure what your point is. Also, looking at the Sabres roster, I see 1 significant player drafted by them after the 1st round: Enroth.

I guess you could argue Foligno, but 16 pts isn't really significant.

So what was your point again?

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:38 PM
  #70
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Did you deliberately ignore all the other differences in the franchises? I frankly have no idea the Oilers willingness to spend... i noted it only to reinforce the Sabres ability to do so and the different paths they are able to take during the rebuild.

So the point you made about one difference being the owner being willing to spend isn't really a difference at all then. Ok, great reinforcement.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:38 PM
  #71
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Well they do have Martin Marincin on their roster, not sure what round he was in, but I don't think it was a 1st. I'm also not sure what your point is. Also, looking at the Sabres roster, I see 1 significant player drafted by them after the 1st round: Enroth.

I guess you could argue Foligno, but 16 pts isn't really significant.

So what was your point again?
his point is we have good players that were not drafted at the top of the draft. We already have some good young players like Zemgus, Hodgson, Ennis, Stewart, Myers, Stafford ect..

We also boast potentially the deepest prospect pool in the NHL right now, before even having a top 5 pick.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:39 PM
  #72
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
It;s already been focused on....you chose to ignore it.
I must have missed it. Explain for me why you think being bad is a good strategy. Feel free not to mention Edmonton or anyone else.

Tell me why you think a team sucking will be good.

Thanks

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:40 PM
  #73
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
So the point you made about one difference being the owner being willing to spend isn't really a difference at all then. Ok, great reinforcement.
I see you're not taking this seriously.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:41 PM
  #74
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I must have missed it. Explain for me why you think being bad is a good strategy. Feel free not to mention Edmonton or anyone else.

Tell me why you think a team sucking will be good.

Thanks
because the teams with the best players have the best chance to win, the best players are drafted at the top of the draft.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:42 PM
  #75
Selanne00008
Registered User
 
Selanne00008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC - UES
Posts: 3,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

Stop beating up the strawman and address my point: going to full tank isn't good.

Focus on that please.
I understand your point, but the sabres aren't just tanking by losing games. We've accumulated an unprecedented # of 1st rounders over a couple of years, and the vanek trade really is the key. It's another very high pick as well as buffalos. Whether it is this year or next we'll have most likely two top 5 picks in the same draft, on top of St. Louis possible 2 first rounders.

At some point you get sick of mediocrity and draft around 12th overall. I'd much rather trade away poms, vanek, miller, ott, Roy, Sekera, etc when you know that group is not going to take you to the promise land.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.