HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN ranks Oilers top NHL franchise

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2004, 04:58 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
ESPN ranks Oilers top NHL franchise

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...anks?year=2004

At least we have something to be pround of this year. 8th overall is great. Look at the sports teams we are ahead of. Pretty impressive. No suprise the Rangers are near the bottom, and I'm a bit suprised the Leafs are low on the list. (Not that it saddens me)

Last edited by SeriousBusiness: 02-03-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old
02-03-2004, 05:06 PM
MrMackey

Wow, number one overall for bang for the buck (number of wins in past three years compared to revenue generated from the fans).

edit: gotta love seeing the Maple Leafs at 86 in that category and the Rangers in second to last out of 120 overall

Last edited by MrMackey: 02-03-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old
02-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Oilers Hockey

Good stuff! I remember from last year the Oilers were 8th too, but 2nd in the NHL behind Detroit.

Edmonton truly is the Heartland of Hockey! (and I love how that and the "City of Champions" makes Calgary sick )

This year, despite the standings, the Oilers are 1st in the NHL. Wow. You have to admit they do care for the fans. And who's filling up the building? FANS. Not yuppies, not corporate honchos - which is true for most other cities with successful attendance - real working class FANS. That's what makes me the most proud for my fellow fans. *sniff* :p

Old
02-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Good stuff! I remember from last year the Oilers were 8th too, but 2nd in the NHL behind Detroit.

Edmonton truly is the Heartland of Hockey! (and I love how that and the "City of Champions" makes Calgary sick )

This year, despite the standings, the Oilers are 1st in the NHL. Wow. You have to admit they do care for the fans. And who's filling up the building? FANS. Not yuppies, not corporate honchos - which is true for most other cities with successful attendance - real working class FANS. That's what makes me the most proud for my fellow fans. *sniff* :p
Edmonton was 9th last year

it seems like the HC won ESPN over

Old
02-04-2004, 11:37 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
and I love how that and the "City of Champions" makes Calgary sick
Its really the best reason to keep the name.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:01 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
the oilers fans are the best in the world and having this distinction only reiterates we are the heartland of hockey. plus an organization that does everything possible to make their fans happy, not just the bottom line.

Old
02-05-2004, 02:29 AM
Elvis Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanryann
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...anks?year=2004

At least we have something to be pround of this year. 8th overall is great. Look at the sports teams we are ahead of. Pretty impressive. No suprise the Rangers are near the bottom, and I'm a bit suprised the Leafs are low on the list. (Not that it saddens me)
You've got to wonder, where would the Oilers be ranked if they were serious contenders in the Western Conference?

Old
02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
copperaddict

This is nice but I do have some questions about the rankings?
the main one is Championships!How could Minny and Dallas be ranked ahead of the Oil?I think the city of Edmonton should be very thankful for the Ownership group(should recieve keys to the city).I don't think the Oil would still be here if it wasn't for them.Also they seem to be down to earth and very active in the community.I don't know where the Rexall place ranks in age,but it most be right up there as one of the oldest!There hasn't even been any talk of a new spot as far as I know?If the new CBA unsures the team will be around for many more years I would like to see a new state of the art facility that would house 20,000+.With the fan base in northern Alberta it would really boost revenue.Plus I would like to see a study done on how the fan base would feel about raising ticket cost to benefit the team as we are one of the lowest ticket prices in all of the 4 major sport leagues.With the benefit of a strong economy it would help if everyone chipped in a few extra dollars to guarantee the owners don't lose money in keeping the team here.

Old
02-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Oilers Hockey

What does it mean to receive the "keys to the city"? Do they open up every building?

Old
02-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Terrier

I'm a Bruins fan, but what's happened to the Blackhawks in Chicago is beyond brutal, and it's a sad story for anyone who loves hockey. In 1994, I flew to Chicago to see a Hawks game in the old Chicago Stadium before it closed. Even before I saw the list, I figured the Blackhawks might be dead last, and sure enough.

P.S. Without hesitation, I voted for the Wings-Oilers game to be shown on ESPN2 on Feb. 23. It's about time they showed us a little more Oilers, Canucks, etc., and less Stars and Ducks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/index
(lower right, look for Ice Picks poll)

Closed Thread