HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2014, 10:22 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
I didn't get a chance to listen to the segment tonight, but I'm sure some people will come up with some reason to rip on him for tonight's show.

The senile Neanderthal, that's not something people can look past when talking about Cherry.

I mean, he's the moron who went against all the "experts" when he not only defended Patrik Roy, but said that his antics on the first game would prove to be unifying and positive for the Avalanche this season. Lo and behold, they go from 1st overall pick, to 4th in the West. I guess Nathan MacKinnon is far and away the best player in the west to have that much influence.

Did you at least read the previous comments before you posted that? I thought it was a great Coach's Corner especially with the message at the end. And I usually rip Don Cherry for saying stupid things...but not today.

Old
03-15-2014, 10:57 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

Did you at least read the previous comments before you posted that? I thought it was a great Coach's Corner especially with the message at the end. And I usually rip Don Cherry for saying stupid things...but not today.
Well, there is always next week. I know it has to be horribly disappointing to many of you when he has a segment where almost nothing can be twisted into something sinister and worthy of the names he gets called.

Maybe next week he will criticize the play of someone who once saw Russia on a map and then you guys can have at it again.

Old
03-15-2014, 11:00 PM
pcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Well, there is always next week. I know it has to be horribly disappointing to many of you when he has a segment where almost nothing can be twisted into something sinister and worthy of the names he gets called.

Maybe next week he will criticize the play of someone who once saw Russia on a map and then you guys can have at it again.
Need not wait a full week. For today's generation (sad to say this since I'm not even 30 yet), a week is equivalent to a full decade to anyone even just 40 years old.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least 1 new post calling Cherry senile by tomorrow afternoon.

Old
03-15-2014, 11:05 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Need not wait a full week. For today's generation (sad to say this since I'm not even 30 yet), a week is equivalent to a full decade to anyone even just 40 years old.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least 1 new post calling Cherry senile by tomorrow afternoon.
Just for you, a gift from me: senile.

My pleasure.

And I'm as old as the title of this song:

Old
03-15-2014, 11:13 PM
pcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Just for you, a gift from me: senile.

My pleasure.

And I'm as old as this:

That doesn't quite count. I trust that you would point out the good points he has just as much as the dumb points he makes, and based on the posts here, I think it'd be hard to criticize his CC from tonight.

It's just the ones who won't take a "take the good with the bad" approach and focus solely on one side of the argument that cause trolls to come out of the woods. I don't know that anyone can honestly say there's nothing of Cherry's that he/she doesn't disagree with, and that once in a while he says something that makes the jaw drop. However, there are those who would criticize the man for donating his entire Lotto Max winnings to Sick Kids Hospital because obviously Toronto General Hospital is much more deserving of a donation.

I'm posting this from downtown Quebec City, a place Don would likely be given some dirty looks over some of the things he's said about French Canadians in the past....including this year's World Junior team.

Old
03-15-2014, 11:22 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
That doesn't quite count. I trust that you would point out the good points he has just as much as the dumb points he makes, and based on the posts here, I think it'd be hard to criticize his CC from tonight.

It's just the ones who won't take a "take the good with the bad" approach and focus solely on one side of the argument that cause trolls to come out of the woods. I don't know that anyone can honestly say there's nothing of Cherry's that he/she doesn't disagree with, and that once in a while he says something that makes the jaw drop. However, there are those who would criticize the man for donating his entire Lotto Max winnings to Sick Kids Hospital because obviously Toronto General Hospital is much more deserving of a donation.

I'm posting this from downtown Quebec City, a place Don would likely be given some dirty looks over some of the things he's said about French Canadians in the past....including this year's World Junior team.
Is this a compliment?

I'm touched.

See, you and I can have a civilized discussion/dialogue even if you're wrong most of the time ( ).

Some other unnamed people, on the other hand...

PS: That last comment applies to people on both sides of the Great Divide.

Old
03-15-2014, 11:47 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

F4APG, are you interested in dialoguing? I'd be pleased to engage in some form of question-response/response-question (point-counterpoint or whatever you want to call it). So far you've responded to my posts, but without fail, have always tiptoed around my points and questions. Even others have directly pointed that out. I feel your responses to my posts are a misemployment of respectful and mature conversation that we all hope for.

I find people like Don Cherry worth talking about. He's philosophically (and of course, ideologically) interesting. I probably should have asked this a while ago.

Old
03-16-2014, 12:03 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial View Post
F4APG, are you interested in dialoguing? I'd be pleased to engage in some form of question-response/response-question (point-counterpoint or whatever you want to call it). So far you've responded to my posts, but without fail, have always tiptoed around my points and questions. Even others have directly pointed that out. I feel your responses to my posts are a misemployment of respectful and mature conversation that we all hope for.

I find people like Don Cherry worth talking about. He's philosophically (and of course, ideologically) interesting. I probably should have asked this a while ago.
Honestly, I would.

However, I will admit that I do not deal well when I feel I am being insulted or subject to what I view as bullying, ie - the mob mentality - where people pile on (whether it is real or perceived). I am sure you have noticed this. I get defensive, then offensive, then I start to brag about all the people I know and how much I know and my patriotism goes to a near fascist level.

I also have a sarcastic and cutting sense of humor that does not always go over well on a message board. I will find myself laughing at something I wrote thinking it is a witty retort and then shortly after I will find a pm from someone likely smarter than me suggesting that I stop doing that.

I admit these things to show you I believe an honest and open dialogue is possible. I will try to behave.

Old
03-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Honestly, I would.

However, I will admit that I do not deal well when I feel I am being insulted or subject to what I view as bullying, ie - the mob mentality - where people pile on (whether it is real or perceived). I am sure you have noticed this. I get defensive, then offensive, then I start to brag about all the people I know and how much I know and my patriotism goes to a near fascist level.

I also have a sarcastic and cutting sense of humor that does not always go over well on a message board. I will find myself laughing at something I wrote thinking it is a witty retort and then shortly after I will find a pm from someone likely smarter than me suggesting that I stop doing that.

I admit these things to show you I believe an honest and open dialogue is possible. I will try to behave.
Wonderful. Happy foruming.

Old
03-16-2014, 12:24 AM
pcruz

Quote:

To be honest, I feel like quite a few of his posts and points have been completely taken the wrong way and/or had their meanings thrown on their heads and that he has been insulted more in this thread than anyone not named Don Cherry. Normally that doesn't lead to very constructive conversation.

I'm not saying it's you doing any or all of the above, but when someone is personally attacked, it's hard to engage in conversation with him or her regardless of who had been on the attacking end.

I can honestly say that many of the people who post on this topic could sit around a table, share a few brews (not that I drink really), and discuss Don's flaws and merits rather well and generally come to many agreements.

What I see as a terrible comment from Cherry could, to you, be rather inoffensive. We both heard the same words, but interpreted them differently because of a myriad of different reasons. Through verbal communication and personal non-verbal cues, we would be better suited to communicate these opinions.

Over a written board, it's much more difficult to gauge just what the other person is saying, and even harder to properly communicate our own opinions and thoughts.

Just my 2 cents, anyone can take them for what they're worth online.....nothing.

Old
03-16-2014, 01:18 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

I find it hypocritical for you, F4APG to act as if you are being "bullied" and "insulted" when you have made numerous posts attacking Canadians who disagree with you as "only doing so to appease the Americans", and attacking other people's knowledge of the sport simply because they may not necessarily have the same experience you have. Not to mention you have admitted to purposefully "stirring the pot" just to get a rise out of people who disagree with your point of view, despite saying you "don't care."

Also, you make it a habit of taking the thread off-topic and trying to focus on the motivations of other posters rather than the actual content of their posts, and ignore responses made by others. That in itself does not lead to intellectual and civil discourse on any level.

Old
03-16-2014, 01:33 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
I find it hypocritical for you, F4APG to act as if you are being "bullied" and "insulted" when you have made numerous posts attacking Canadians who disagree with you as "only doing so to appease the Americans", and attacking other people's knowledge of the sport simply because they may not necessarily have the same experience you have. Not to mention you have admitted to purposefully "stirring the pot" just to get a rise out of people who disagree with your point of view, despite saying you "don't care."

Also, you make it a habit of taking the thread off-topic and trying to focus on the motivations of other posters rather than the actual content of their posts, and ignore responses made by others. That in itself does not lead to intellectual and civil discourse on any level.
The only difference between me and everyone else on this thread is that you agree with everyone else on this thread. That and my comments are usually generalized, whereas I am constantly singled out and ridiculed.

One thing I pride myself in is my ability to recognize when I am being a d-bag. Other people act that way and claim that they are not. This thread is full of those types of people. People who claim to be right-minded yet use name-calling and gang tactics to make points rather than making them with hockey knowledge or reasonable arguments about Cherry.

As far as my level of caring, what I said is the truth. I don't care what people think of me. I think I make some great comments, more interesting than most to be honest, and I have some great insights despite what people try to say to discredit me. I will share them for the people who like them, and for those who don't...meh. Feel free to disagree and say what you say.

Old
03-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post

Exactly. It's probably best we just proceed regardless. I'll still hope for a good conversation with someone who opposes my views (it happens all the time on the Prospects board, and it's wonderful).

Open question for anyone: I know Don is on record for being anti-aid (wrt to Canada sending money to third world countries), which makes sense since he's on record for not wanting Eruos in the CHL coming over then leaving one they get paid (my wording, actual quote can be found on previous page). And, I'm starting to get (though, not necessarily excuse) how the Cold War really shook his generation, and people 20 years his junior. But, where does this us-and-them mentality come from?

Old
03-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Great, Great show by Don tonight, probably his best ever giving advice to kids who feel lost sometime.

What was that story, a kid was suspended for marijuana and then he got a text message saying "you're done"?

Old
03-16-2014, 09:06 AM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Great, Great show by Don tonight, probably his best ever giving advice to kids who feel lost sometime.

What was that story, a kid was suspended for marijuana and then he got a text message saying "you're done"?
Terry Trafford-Saginaw Spirit player found dead in his vehicle in a Walmart parking lot. Lots of talk about it in the Saginaw thread. There is an investigation underway by the league and I suspect that there will be some trouble for the organization over the handling of this and the failure to inform the league on certain matters pertaining to what led up to this tragic incident.

Old
03-16-2014, 10:10 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll definitely give Don credit for the message at the end. And overall, it was a somewhat tame show.

However, I still don't like his obsession with players wearing suits when they arrive for games. And I don't like his insistence that celebrating goals is non-Canadian.

Old
03-16-2014, 12:06 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

He mentioned the similar story from about 10 years ago last night. He said the same thing then. Very sad stuff.

Old
03-16-2014, 03:27 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Exactly. It's probably best we just proceed regardless. I'll still hope for a good conversation with someone who opposes my views (it happens all the time on the Prospects board, and it's wonderful).

Open question for anyone: I know Don is on record for being anti-aid (wrt to Canada sending money to third world countries), which makes sense since he's on record for not wanting Eruos in the CHL coming over then leaving one they get paid (my wording, actual quote can be found on previous page). And, I'm starting to get (though, not necessarily excuse) how the Cold War really shook his generation, and people 20 years his junior. But, where does this us-and-them mentality come from?
It is a very basic, Canada-first way of looking at things.

Americans say USA first and they are heroes. Canadians do it and they are anti-everyone.

I am Canada-first as well, but every time there is a disaster somewhere in the world (tsunami, hurricane, earthquake, etc.), I send some of my own money (usually $50 to $100 is standard). However it does still strike me as odd that we (as a country) will send money and aid to a country when the government of that nation is not even interested in helping its own people. Or, when we will send relief to a country where they support people who generally hate us or democracy.

Nothing is black and white.

Old
03-16-2014, 03:29 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
It is a very basic, Canada-first way of looking at things.

Americans say USA first and they are heroes. Canadians do it and they are anti-everyone.

I am Canada-first as well, but every time there is a disaster somewhere in the world (tsunami, hurricane, earthquake, etc.), I send some of my own money (usually $50 to $100 is standard). However it does still strike me as odd that we (as a country) will send money and aid to a country when the government of that nation is not even interested in helping its own people. Or, when we will send relief to a country where they support people who generally hate us or democracy.

Nothing is black and white.
Part of it might be our Judeo-Christian heritage.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
"I've been trying to tell you for so long about the Russians. What kind of people they are and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism." - Don Cherry

(On the Canadian Football League) “The best thing about this game, there’s no Russians or Swedes playing.” - Don Cherry
Wow thats just sad. I remember when he tried to disparage Lidstrom's Conn Smythe win just because he was Swedish.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
Terry Trafford-Saginaw Spirit player found dead in his vehicle in a Walmart parking lot. Lots of talk about it in the Saginaw thread. There is an investigation underway by the league and I suspect that there will be some trouble for the organization over the handling of this and the failure to inform the league on certain matters pertaining to what led up to this tragic incident.
If management sent him that text, they should be banned for life.

Old
03-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
The segment was particularly poignant as Cherry's voice appeared to break, as he looked overcome with emotion. According to Cherry's account, the team suspended Trafford over marijuana use, for one week, and then at the end of the suspension, informed him via text, that he was not welcome back. Not even a phone call. How brutal is that, especially for an impressionable 20-year old, who had a history of depression issues -- which must have been known to the team since they were readily made known to the several media sources that have covered the story.

Cherry's segment: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ford-1.2574491

I'm hoping to find out how this matter was decided upon, in greater detail. Who texted Trafford? Why mete out such a harsh punishment for a minor drug infraction?

If the coach played an active role in the way Trafford was treated, how can he live with himself? What an incredibly boneheaded handling of such a sensitive situation, by supposedly mature adults in positions of authority.

Edit: found the Saginaw thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...396961&page=32

Last edited by Runner77: 03-17-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old
03-18-2014, 01:18 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Don probably saved lives with that segment. That should not go unnoticed by his detractors.

Old
03-18-2014, 02:31 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Don probably saved lives with that segment. That should not go unnoticed by his detractors.
Yes, give him a life saving medal.

Old
03-18-2014, 04:36 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
I was hoping you'd touch on the part where you talked about "sucking up to Americans".

I get the senile and stupid part, that's fair. I still don't understand why you refuse to see Don has a strong irrational dislike towards players from specific countries though. You usually just bring up how great Don's nationalism is to avoid, or counter these accusations. I think Don's support for our troops etc is wonderful, but you have to understand that just because he gets accused of xenophobia, it doesn't mean those people are anti-nationalist (at least not me).

What do you think of the handful of links I've posted to this thread showing Don saying explicitly xenophobic things? You've conveniently ignored them, as well as my asking you about them.
Quote:
I will gladly respond to all queries. As far as I can tell, all that has been sent my way is people insulting me and my viewpoints and telling me I am on their ignore list.

Seriously, ask away. I will be glad to answer any and all questions. I am just not sure what the question was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
No, it was actually username Sartorial, who did not insult you in any fashion but instead very politely asked you to comment on some of the blatantly xenophobic things (even slamming his own countrymen for their multiculturalism regarding one particular nationality) Don S. Cherry has said over the years. He asked you to do so because you so obviously deny even hints of such attitudes from Cherry and have failed to answer his (username Sartorial) inquiries in the past, doing so yet again in this post I'm responding to.
And we have nothing but crickets. What a shock!

Closed Thread