HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather ready to retire?

Old
03-17-2014, 08:27 AM
nsvoyageurs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showjaxx View Post

Had to laugh at this one!

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:28 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
A few points from making or not making the playoffs shouldn't be the deciding factor.
But if you do not count the October games, and not the losses against Boston, Philly and now San Jose, and if you only take out a few pesky November games, well then you have as good a team as any in the NHL. A GREAT season. Draft picks are a waste anyway.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:31 AM
eco's bones

well if he does retire this season won't be a complete failure. Addition by subtraction.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:39 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If this was true, someone should have locked him in a closet at the trade deadline.
It's not true. He has placed the team in a win-now mode. All of his moves, cap space, prospects, draft picks be dammed, will be to WIN NOW. That means next year. Once that fails, and he has further destroyed the organization, only then will he retire. And leave a barren farm system and a team that will be in salary cap hell to his successor to clean up.

Lion or a Mouse.
If I had the Rangers payroll, I would win the Cup ever year.
And what was that line about success and winning Stanley Cups that he made, post Torts firing?

Old
03-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It's not true. He has placed the team in a win-now mode. All of his moves, cap space, prospects, draft picks be dammed, will be to WIN NOW. That means next year. Once that fails, and he has further destroyed the organization, only then will he retire. And leave a barren farm system and a team that will be in salary cap hell to his successor to clean up.

Lion or a Mouse.
If I had the Rangers payroll, I would win the Cup ever year.
And what was that line about success and winning Stanley Cups that he made, post Torts firing?
I don't buy that he's hanging them up after this season, because if he was, I seriously doubt the Rangers management would have let him OK a move like the MSL deal.

Like you said, I think this team is in "win now, cost be damned" mode. I'd expect at least one or two more years of Sather running the show and the team being loaded up with aging vets to try and make a run or two. Then Gorton takes over and rebuilds the team how he wants it. I have to think that he's been promised this job after Sather retires. Otherwise, I can't imagine why he's still around.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:05 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
I don't buy that he's hanging them up after this season, because if he was, I seriously doubt the Rangers management would have let him OK a move like the MSL deal.

Like you said, I think this team is in "win now, cost be damned" mode. I'd expect at least one or two more years of Sather running the show and the team being loaded up with aging vets to try and make a run or two. Then Gorton takes over and rebuilds the team how he wants it. I have to think that he's been promised this job after Sather retires. Otherwise, I can't imagine why he's still around.
Sather IS Rangers management. Dolan was too busy trying to hire Phil Jackson. Who was going to stop Sather from making the MSL trade? Gorton should leave if the plan is to load up and not worry about anything. He will have an impossible job putting this thing back together. Dolan will fire him before he has a chance to build it back up if that philosophy even exists in Rangersland.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:

You are not wrong, but if he is going to retire, it may be after next season and the St. Louis contract is done and he has made up with Yzerman and went back to retire in Tampa.

Old
03-17-2014, 09:08 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

buyout richards
Trade MSL next year for picks at the deadline
Trade Staal for picks
Start slowly rebuilding

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
If the Rangers go outside the organization for the next GM, get ready for Brian Burke as your next Rangers GM.

Prototypical Dolan pick. Typical lazy, good 'ol boys club choice.
Brian Burke is already employed.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Sather IS Rangers management. Dolan was too busy trying to hire Phil Jackson. Who was going to stop Sather from making the MSL trade? Gorton should leave if the plan is to load up and not worry about anything. He will have an impossible job putting this thing back together. Dolan will fire him before he has a chance to build it back up if that philosophy even exists in Rangersland.
I guess in my mind "letting him" make that deal means we'd see some people leave the organization because of philosophical differences. However, I'm starting to wonder if Gorton isn't more closely tied to Sather than we all might think. I know there was a bit of a divide about buying out Richards, but who knows what side of the fence he was really on?

Old
03-17-2014, 09:11 AM
AHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
Sather's list of greatest accomplishments as Rangers GM:

1.) Trading for Ryan McDonagh.
2.) Retiring.
This made me lol, so true.

Retiring may just re-instill what little faith I have in this organization.

Although, they'll probably destroy that by hiring Messier in his place.

AHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:31 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
I guess in my mind "letting him" make that deal means we'd see some people leave the organization because of philosophical differences. However, I'm starting to wonder if Gorton isn't more closely tied to Sather than we all might think. I know there was a bit of a divide about buying out Richards, but who knows what side of the fence he was really on?
All we know it the Rangers waited until the last minute to not amnesty Richards because there was a difference of opinion in management. How many members make up management? Sather. Gorton. Schoenfeld. The #3 held up the Richards decision? Dolan allows Sather to make his own moves. Gorton can't trust any verbal promise from Sather or Dolan. Unless Gorton has it in written in his contract,he can't be sure that the job will be his. If its written into the contract,there would probably be some timetable in that contract. Gorton likes the big boys. Look at this roster. Where are the big boys? MSL has Sather written all over him. He likes those players. The big time goal scorer. Bure. Jagr. Naslund. Gaborik. Nash. As Brooks pointed out today,nothing has changed with the addition of Nash. Keep spinning their wheels. Splashy move. No real substance.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Sather can't retire. We're a playoff contender.

Impossible is nothing!

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

i could have sworn that i read an article by Larry Brooks, that states that Glen Sather will be Rangers GM until he wins a Stanley Cup here or passes away, which ever comes first.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:41 AM
OverTheCap

How can Sather retire with July 1 merely 3 and 1/2 months away? Stastny, Vanek, D. Boyle, etc. are all itching to be overpaid and Slats can't resist!

In all seriousness, Sather's retirement can't come soon enough and I will be thrilled if he calls it quits at the end of the season. But if the replacement isn't Gorton and Dolan feels inclined to pick Sather's successor, then I have to start worrying about that. I wonder what Bill Torrey is up to these days...

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle

I will cheer harder for the Rangers than I ever have if this is true.

Thank you boys
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
All we know it the Rangers waited until the last minute to not amnesty Richards because there was a difference of opinion in management. How many members make up management? Sather. Gorton. Schoenfeld. The #3 held up the Richards decision? Dolan allows Sather to make his own moves. Gorton can't trust any verbal promise from Sather or Dolan. Unless Gorton has it in written in his contract,he can't be sure that the job will be his. If its written into the contract,there would probably be some timetable in that contract. Gorton likes the big boys. Look at this roster. Where are the big boys? MSL has Sather written all over him. He likes those players. The big time goal scorer. Bure. Jagr. Naslund. Gaborik. Nash. As Brooks pointed out today,nothing has changed with the addition of Nash. Keep spinning their wheels. Splashy move. No real substance.
Gorton may like bigger players, but he also signed Marc Savard to a FA deal. He also signed Chara. I appreciate his track record, but we can't be sure he isn't drinking from the same fountain as Sather. Supposedly Gorton handled the Gaborik trade, so what exactly is going on behind the scenes? Why does he handle certain moves but not others? Why is he hanging around if Sather is letting him run day-to-day ops, but is undoing his work with idiotic moves? None of this makes any sense on any level.

Old
03-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Gorton may like bigger players, but he also signed Marc Savard to a FA deal. He also signed Chara. I appreciate his track record, but we can't be sure he isn't drinking from the same fountain as Sather. Supposedly Gorton handled the Gaborik trade, so what exactly is going on behind the scenes? Why does he handle certain moves but not others? Why is he hanging around if Sather is letting him run day-to-day ops, but is undoing his work with idiotic moves? None of this makes any sense on any level.
Yeah, how involved was he in the Kotalik, Brashear, Boogaard, McIlrath, Lisin etc. moves?

Old
03-17-2014, 11:19 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yeah, how involved was he in the Kotalik, Brashear, Boogaard, McIlrath, Lisin etc. moves?
It's the HFNYR way. Bad moves - Sather. Good moves - Gorton.

It's just how it's been since Jeff was added to the mix. Fact is, unless otherwise stated, we'll never know how involved Gorton is with personnel moves. He should be held just as accountable as Sather as a member of the FO.

Well, maybe a little less than Sather since the buck stops with Glen. But fact is, Gorton is already in there, and here the Rangers are...

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

It's just how it's been since Jeff was added to the mix. Fact is, unless otherwise stated, we'll never know how involved Gorton is with personnel moves. He should be held just as accountable as Sather as a member of the FO.

Well, maybe a little less than Sather since the buck stops with Glen. But fact is, Gorton is already in there, and here the Rangers are...
Yeah, and Don Maloney before him.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
someone stole hank
I LOVE TANNER GLASS

could this be Sathers last year?

http://snyrangersblog.com/coachesgm/...ady-to-retire/

Really hope this is it for the old man

someone stole hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
someone stole hank
I LOVE TANNER GLASS

Lawlz I'm so late for things

someone stole hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:07 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

While this is true, I think there's a little more to it.

Gorton actually has huge success on his resume in the recent past, unlike Sather. He was the GM of the Bruins, granted only for a bit, but he made a lot of the moves that led to them being what they are today. Traded Raycroft for Rask, signed Chara, signed Savard (who was worth his contract until an unfortunate injury), was in charge of the draft that got Kessel, Lucic and Marchand.

Sather has a few good moves that haven't added up to a whole lot, and a lot of mistakes.

I can see why people are inclined to give Gorton the benefit of the doubt given the difference in their resumes as far as recent team building goes.

Also, I'm hesitant to say Gorton's already here and the Rangers aren't great, therefore Gorton isn't good, because, as you said, we have no idea what the power arrangement is. It's not impossible that he tells Sather what he thinks, and Sather says, "cool," then does whatever he was going to do anyway. He ultimately makes the decisions. I'm not sure I want to hold someone accountable for what their boss does.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
This day can't come soon enough, but I'll believe it when I see it.

03-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Go enjoy retirement, Glen. Everyone will be better off for it.

If a playoff appearance this season is being considered as some sort of legacy builder and a deciding factor for him stepping away, well, thats just pathetic.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote