HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Giroux

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2014, 12:00 PM
  #401
FlyingSlovak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Makes me wonder why so many people believe Tavares>>>Giroux. I mean, Tavares is great and all but in my view there's no big difference between two of them. Don't blame people picking John but I do blame those which come out with that ridiculous "AINEC"...

FlyingSlovak is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 12:07 PM
  #402
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSlovak View Post
Makes me wonder why so many people believe Tavares>>>Giroux. I mean, Tavares is great and all but in my view there's no big difference between two of them. Don't blame people picking John but I do blame those which come out with that ridiculous "AINEC"...
He was drafted 1st overall. Sole reason.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 12:09 PM
  #403
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSlovak View Post
Makes me wonder why so many people believe Tavares>>>Giroux. I mean, Tavares is great and all but in my view there's no big difference between two of them. Don't blame people picking John but I do blame those which come out with that ridiculous "AINEC"...
Do you think people actually think that Tavares is a significantly better player right now? I'm sure some do, but I've always interpreted those debates as ones over value and projection, and there I can understand a strong preference for JT91.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 12:13 PM
  #404
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
Tavares is a goal scorer, if you put them side by side, people will ALWAYS lean to the goal scorer. A lot of what Giroux does doesn't show up on a score sheet too.

Hiesenberg is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 12:25 PM
  #405
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Tavares is a goal scorer, if you put them side by side, people will ALWAYS lean to the goal scorer. A lot of what Giroux does doesn't show up on a score sheet too.
All that + the pre draft hype and being #1 overall pick.

Sniped is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
  #406
FlyingSlovak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
He was drafted 1st overall. Sole reason.
So you are telling that if G was drafted 1st (or 2nd, 3rd for that matter) overall, that "AINEC" thing would disappear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Do you think people actually think that Tavares is a significantly better player right now? I'm sure some do, but I've always interpreted those debates as ones over value and projection, and there I can understand a strong preference for JT91.
Idk..even here in Slovakia a lot of people say JT is way better than G. It frustrates me sometimes, because I know the truth

FlyingSlovak is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
  #407
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
All that + the pre draft hype and being #1 overall pick.
I agree. I honestly don't really care who Giroux is better than. I just want him to be great and a PPG player for us is great to have.

Hiesenberg is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 12:39 PM
  #408
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I agree. I honestly don't really care who Giroux is better than. I just want him to be great and a PPG player for us is great to have.
Yup, he is already great! If he brings a Cup to Philly he will be beloved in this city forever.

Unlike the Leafs, our fan base doesn't need the constant approval from HF that our best player (Giroux) is one of the best centers/players in the league. People who watch G know how good and important he is to our team.

I mean I get sick of people who don't give G credit (especially on the Main boards), but as the great Charles Barkley said "People are stupid."

Sniped is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 12:55 PM
  #409
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,637
vCash: 165
205 points in 188 games since the start of 11-12. (reg season only)

No-one in the NHL has more since then.

4th in PPG in that time after Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos.

Take it to the last 4 (this decade) and he has 281 in 270... 2nd most in the NHL in that time.

5th in PPG in that time after Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos and MSL.

Appleyard is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 01:18 PM
  #410
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,757
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
205 points in 188 games since the start of 11-12. (reg season only)

No-one in the NHL has more since then.

4th in PPG in that time after Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos.

Take it to the last 4 (this decade) and he has 281 in 270... 2nd most in the NHL in that time.

5th in PPG in that time after Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos and MSL.

He's the Gus of Team Canada.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-06-2014, 01:37 PM
  #411
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,637
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's the Gus of Team Canada.
It is actually quite likely he ends up leading the NHL in points for the half decade from 2010-11 to 2014-15.

13 points behind MSL now... Ovechkin, Stamkos and Kessel are the only other players within 20 of Giroux in that time.

Historical half decade leaders:

2005-06 to 2009-10: Ovechkin
2000-01 to 2004-05: Naslund
1995-96 to 1999-00: Jagr
1990-91 to 1994-95: Gretzky
1985-86 to 1989-90: Gretzky
1980-81 to 1984-85: Gretzky
1975-76 to 1979-80: Lafleur
1970-71 to 1974-75: Esposito
1965-66 to 1969-70: Mikita
1960-61 to 1964-65: Howe
1955-56 to 1959-60: Howe & Beliveau (tied)
1950-51 to 1954-55: Howe
1945-46 to 1949-50: Richard
1940-41 to 1944-45: Cowley
1935-36 to 1939-40: Schriner
1930-31 to 1934-35: Conacher
1925-26 to 1929-30: Morenz
1920-21 to 1924-25: Dye
1917-18 to 1919-20: Lalonde

Naslund is the only non HOFer on that list...

Appleyard is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 02:33 PM
  #412
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe
 
jabba2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
Giroux when he's on his game is definitely the Flyers best playmaker. Thats all that matters. Tavares is a top echelon forward as well. I think Tavares has alot of potential. Tavares was awesome in the series with the Pens last year. Its hard to rank Centers because there are so many young, good ones from Canada. Team Canada preferred the bigger sized ones, but that doesn't mean Giroux is less of a player because of it.

jabba2 is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
  #413
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,899
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSlovak View Post
Makes me wonder why so many people believe Tavares>>>Giroux. I mean, Tavares is great and all but in my view there's no big difference between two of them. Don't blame people picking John but I do blame those which come out with that ridiculous "AINEC"...
I don't understand that either. IMO they're as equal as can be in terms of production.

This is Tavares' 5th year in the league, and he would have probably produced as much as Giroux did in his 4th year (93 points) had he not been injured. When you compare Giroux's totals up until his 4th season to Tavares, they're practically equal in terms of points-per-game

The idea that "Tavares > Giroux AINEC" is baffling to me

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 07:03 PM
  #414
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,179
vCash: 500
Tavares has the hype because he's younger, was a first overall IIRC, and put up pretty elite production pretty quickly.

Giroux was like 23rd overall IIRC (Clarke even forgot his name), didn't blow the league away his rookie season because of a highly sheltered role, and lived behind bigger names like Richards, Carter, and Pronger before they all left.

At the moment and recent past it's mostly just hype from draft position and circumstance. In reality they seem like pretty even players in terms of production.

Garbage Goal is online now  
Old
03-16-2014, 10:51 PM
  #415
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
Incase you missed it your captain is now tied for fourth in the league in points. Thanks for proving me wrong G!

TheKingPin is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 09:23 AM
  #416
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Ahh I love that I have never doubted Giroux. Not once would I ever consider trading him when people were discussing it early. I thought it was crazy talk. He's our captain boys!

Glad he turned his game around from the early hand injury and is play some elite hockey right now. I think he will end up second in the NHL in points.

Prongo is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 09:31 AM
  #417
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Abington (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Incase you missed it your captain is now tied for fourth in the league in points. Thanks for proving me wrong G!
Agreed!!!

Cuiff is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 10:51 AM
  #418
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 955
Wow, the first few pages of this thread are hilarious.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 11:55 AM
  #419
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Wow, the first few pages of this thread are hilarious.
Oh my...

Protest is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 12:06 PM
  #420
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,920
vCash: 50
Guys the last 50 games are a small sample size compared to the first 14. You can tell a lot about a player's REAL value in the first month of the season. Trade him.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 12:25 PM
  #421
StoneHands
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 990
vCash: 50
To be fair, he really wasn't playing well in the beginning of the season. It's like not he was playing the way he is now and he just wasn't racking up points, he clearly was still injured or something because it's night and day watching him play now. To the people that wanted to strip him of the "C" because he apparently isn't a leader, well, you just look silly now. He's picked his play up and has been carrying this team for a few months. His value is clear because you can see what the team was like in the beginning of the season when he wasn't playing well. This team can only go where G can take them.

StoneHands is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 01:28 PM
  #422
Funf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
In the 52 games since G notched his first goal, he's been scoring at a 1.19 PPG pace. That's good for about 97 points over a full 82 game season. Since Dec. 11, he's at a 1.26 PPG pace. Good for 103 points over 82 games. As it is now, he's on pace for 84.

Honestly though, if you took any player that's up there in scoring and broke their season up in that fashion, you could find stretches where their PPG jumps up like that.

I'd really love to see Giroux have a 100 point season some day. I think it would take just about everything going his way all year to do it though. No injuries, the right line mates to carry him through cold stretches, the team as a whole playing well all year; Everything.

Funf is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 01:58 PM
  #423
aka Ude
Registered User
 
aka Ude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pori
Country: Finland
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Ahh I love that I have never doubted Giroux. Not once would I ever consider trading him when people were discussing it early. I thought it was crazy talk. He's our captain boys!

Glad he turned his game around from the early hand injury and is play some elite hockey right now. I think he will end up second in the NHL in points.
It's ridiculous how people wanted to trade him. Like those last seasons weren't anything to show how good of a player he is. Thank God we've got Homer over there making the decisions.. Not these hfboarders.

G is totally beasting now. He is gonna end up very close to Crosby in total points with this run going to the end of the regular season. Think about if he would've played the whole season like that...

aka Ude is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 03:41 PM
  #424
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,034
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Ude View Post
It's ridiculous how people wanted to trade him. Like those last seasons weren't anything to show how good of a player he is. Thank God we've got Homer over there making the decisions.. Not these hfboarders.

G is totally beasting now. He is gonna end up very close to Crosby in total points with this run going to the end of the regular season. Think about if he would've played the whole season like that...
Crosby has 88 points already. G needs 19 in the next 15 just to get there let alone the amount of points Crosby will have in his next 15 games... I think he finishes 2nd in scoring though, and I think he can break the 90 point barrier again. 21 points in the next 15. I think he can do it.

PALE PWNR is offline  
Old
03-17-2014, 03:54 PM
  #425
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,400
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Crosby has 88 points already. G needs 19 in the next 15 just to get there let alone the amount of points Crosby will have in his next 15 games... I think he finishes 2nd in scoring though, and I think he can break the 90 point barrier again. 21 points in the next 15. I think he can do it.
I am really pulling hard for G to get to 90, that would be quite the accomplishment after his rough start. Also 90 points from him would in all likelihood mean a playoff position for this team.

If he gets to 90 and we finish with a better record than toronto I think he gets his first Hart Nomination. The Ultimate F.U to Yzerman and Chiraelli and etc etc. I hope he punishes them in the playoffs.

Jtown is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.