HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Downie

Old
03-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he's got to still be injured because he was good up until he missed those games from an injury a few months back
He's not injured..besides maybe his brain since he keeps playing like an undisciplined idiot out there. That elbow was uncalled for in tight game at that point. I do not want this mental midget back at all..seen enough. Yup Colorado assessed him right...would have rather kept Talbot. Downie trade was just to shake things up a bit and it worked for a bit but now it's time to start benching him if continues with his loose canon ways and then eventually leave him to free agency....

Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

I don't see how Berube doesn't see that Couturier and Read are more productive with Raffl on the other wing. Anytime those three are together, it seems like they spend their shift in the o-zone. Not to mention there was the Giroux/Couturier/Read line in the closing seconds of the period on Saturday(?) that scored.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Im not trying to make excuses for the guy, i am just wondering if theres some physical reason he can't fight.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles...n-orbital-bone says he didn't break the orbital bone, maybe he can't fight because of the facial fracture?

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:12 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I don't see how Berube doesn't see that Couturier and Read are more productive with Raffl on the other wing. Anytime those three are together, it seems like they spend their shift in the o-zone. Not to mention there was the Giroux/Couturier/Read line in the closing seconds of the period on Saturday(?) that scored.
May just be that they think Raffl significantly improves the 4th line and Downie doesn't, allowing them to more confidently roll 4 lines.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Danko View Post
Im not trying to make excuses for the guy, i am just wondering if theres some physical reason he can't fight.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles...n-orbital-bone says he didn't break the orbital bone, maybe he can't fight because of the facial fracture?
He fought Getzlaf before the Olympic break so I'm going to go with a no. His number of fights have really dwindled over the last couple of years compared to when he first broke into the league. He has 6 this year so far, last year he had 7, & the year before that he had 7 as well.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:55 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Danko View Post

The way he got ****ed up in that fight he would have to be brain dead to even consider fighting someone again this season. He needs to let it heal first. I'm convinced that the doctors are holding him back as well... a fight is not worth taking the risks of permanent damage /potential career ending head injury, especially when you're on an expiring contract.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Hasn't been the same player since the concussion.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
May just be that they think Raffl significantly improves the 4th line and Downie doesn't, allowing them to more confidently roll 4 lines.
I agree with this. Raffl really makes that 4th line dangerous and fast. Downie is playing just fine, really. He's hard on the wall, makes good hits and plays. The guy is a warrior.

And the penalty on Sunday was crap. Esp. since right before that he was jostling at the dot with Bortuzzo who them slashed him TWICE directly in front of the ref, knocking the stick out of his hand as he was trying to get to the puck. Downie should never have gotten the call for what he did in the scrum, but the scrum would not have happened if the ref had just called the blatant foul on Bortuzzo in the first place.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Hasn't been the same player since the concussion.
I'm not sure it was the concussion. If I recall correctly, he was also great for the first 10, 20 games when he first arrived to Colorado, but then his performance just steadily declined after that.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

So glad Downie provided massive added value in the playoffs

Then again Talbot didn't do much of anything for Colorado either....

Old
05-01-2014, 04:32 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
So glad Downie provided massive added value in the playoffs

Then again Talbot didn't do much of anything for Colorado either....
And we should be free of Downie now and Avs have Talbot for a few years at 1.75 per, we win.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
And we should be free of Downie now and Avs have Talbot for a few years at 1.75 per, we win.
True in that respect.....as long as Downie doesn't come back and the GM doesn't institute "Holmgren's Halfway House"

Old
05-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Harold Bingo
what

There was an article I read the other day where it was mentioned "sources inside the organization" wonder if Downie never fully recovered from his concussion in November. They think because it was a contract season for Downie, he played through it. Could be bs, but watching Downie this season it seemed something was not right.

edit: Here's the Pannacio () article http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...d-indefinitely

Quote:
Was Downie not feeling well during the two games he made mistakes that led to his benching?

“Well, a little bit of both,” Flyers coach Craig Berube said. “He made those mistakes and I was not obviously happy. There’s other things.”
Doesn't sound good.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
There was an article I read the other day where it was mentioned "sources inside the organization" wonder if Downie never fully recovered from his concussion in November. They think because it was a contract season for Downie, he played through it. Could be bs, but watching Downie this season it seemed something was not right.

edit: Here's the Pannacio () article http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...d-indefinitely

Doesn't sound good.
There were "other things" in his first stint here as well........

Time to just let this problem child walk....

Old
05-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Jtown

downie is a good hockey player, but someone needed to step in and tell him that style of play for a guy his size is a recipe for disaster.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 05:18 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
downie is a good hockey player, but someone needed to step in and tell him that style of play for a guy his size is a recipe for disaster.
When healthy he is a good offensive 3rd line player. But tends to always get hurt when he crosses the line.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
When healthy he is a good offensive 3rd line player. But tends to always get hurt when he crosses the line.
yup. Volpatti really tuned him up. Downie's no fear attitude really bit him in the ass that time. Still the guy is a tough sob.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote