HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 13: Godzilla. Yes.

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2014, 04:40 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

vCash: 500
Roger roger

Old
03-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Roger roger
Murray likes the show.

03-17-2014, 05:00 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
Old Star Wars fans just seem to hate the fact that Jedi in the prequels can flip and jump high or something just because Luke couldn't in the original trilogy.
Nah, I love that. I even imagine Jedi and Sith as being more powerful than that. If anything, I would've loved to see more, like a Sith causing blocks of towers on Coruscant to collapse in rage or a Jedi force punching an army of robots off a bridge.

I hated the meh acting, the horrible and lazy directing and scene composition, and ****ty character development and plot. That's why I dislike the prequels, and the middle one in particular sis objectively bad. Everything was obviously done in an overemphasis on making it easier to direct, so that despite being on grandiose green screen backgrounds characters were obviously constrained on a small set and how so many dialogue scenes were copy and paste sitting around chatting and back and forth camera shots.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
03-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Nah, I love that. I even imagine Jedi and Sith as being more powerful than that. If anything, I would've loved to see more, like a Sith causing blocks of towers on Coruscant to collapse in rage or a Jedi force punching an army of robots off a bridge.

I hated the meh acting , horrible and lazy directing and scene composition, and ****ty character development and plot. That's all I have against it, not the fighting.
I wasn't singling you out, just making a general assumption from what I've gathered of other Star Wars fans. It's not totally fair to say, but it's a little true in a lot of cases.

The original trilogy had meh acting too.

Old
03-17-2014, 05:04 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
I wasn't singling you out, just making a general assumption from what I've gathered of other Star Wars fans. It's not totally fair to say, but it's a little true in a lot of cases.

The original trilogy had meh acting too.
Original had more campy, energetic acting to me. Prequels just had dullards. At least IMHO.

But fair point.

Old
03-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Original had more campy, energetic acting to me. Prequels just had dullards. At least IMHO.

But fair point.
At least 83% of it is nostalgia. Made up statistic, but you know nostalgia plays a part. I understand hating Phantom, that movie was garbage. Clones was okay. Revenge of the Sith is a masterpiece. I will never get why some people hate it.

Last edited by Trance Kuja: 03-17-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old
03-17-2014, 05:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Now there I fully disagree. Sith jumped all over the place in overall mood, was egregiously guilty in having repetitive scene composition, took massive leaps in logic beyond the realm of believability (not saying leaps of faith, saying leaps in critical understanding that any number of the main characters should've easily seen coming or done differently), the impact of the rise of the Empire and even the war itself seemed negligible to the general population, the final battle dragged on way too long, and the ending itself felt like a half assed attempt to explain why Luke and Leia got separated and why Kenobi had to stay on Tatooine for so long. And I could go on and more delve into the reasons for everything.

It's cool if you liked it, but masterpiece? Nah. I'm not even comfortable calling films I love and get universal praise that.

Old
03-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Almost every movie I love is a masterpiece to me.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
xX Hot Fuss

What things should "characters easily seen coming"?

Old
03-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I think he's talking about Mace Windu getting owned in ROTS.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Sevanston

Let's be honest, Mace Windu did have the lamest possible death.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:42 PM
xX Hot Fuss

The final battle between Obi and Anakin was, IMO, a now classic scene in movie history.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Let's be honest, Mace Windu did have the lamest possible death.
From Wiki: "Palpatine pummels Windu with another torrent of lightning and then Force pushes him out of the window, sending him falling to his death." Lame is definitely not the word I'd use for that.

Quote:
The final battle between Obi and Anakin was, IMO, a now classic scene in movie history.
Agreed.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:52 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Yeah that's definitely some cold blooded ****

Old
03-17-2014, 06:52 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Hark, there be spoilers....

Spoil:
1) Anakin starts having nightmares about Padme dying and hook, line, and sinker buys a Sith lord saying that they can save people from death without a second's hesitation without obviously connecting the two,
2) Anakin doesn't go ape**** insane upon hearing that, in spite of previously being promised that the Sith can save someone from dying that it's a technique that they've lost but might be able to recover,
2) None of the Jedi around Anakin can detect the emotional turmoil that he's obviously riddled with, something that's supposedly a no-no for Jedi, and from the acting was obvious to see even without using force techniques to scan his mind,
3) The Jedi use an obviously turmoiled Anakin to spy on Palpatine for them, despite the fact that he and the chancellor go way back and the loyalty the two had with each other,
4) Upon discovering that Palpatine is a Sith lord, Windu and only a handful of Jedi try to apprehend him despite the logical assumption that a Sith master would have been very powerful, dangerous, and would likely put up a fight,
5) Upon discovering that Palpatine is a Sith lord, they do what I said immediately above in private rather than trying to confront him in public, like in the Senate itself, aka a time when any display of force acumen on his part would make it obvious that Palpatine was a big, bad Sith to the entire galaxy,
6) Upon the discovery that Palpatine was a Sith lord and that Anakin was his new apprentice with visual evidence in the form of the holographic recording, Kenobi and Yoda don't immediately release said evidence to everybody possible, which would've completely undermined every reason for why Palpatine had supposedly killed the Jedi and established an empire,
7) Upon realizing that Palpatine and Anakin are no longer physically near each other, Kenobi and Yoda don't immediately team up and whack Palpatine together and then go after Anakin together after that had been accomplished, but instead they split up to kill them separate. This is particularly nonsensical, as they would've known that Anakin would be out of contact until Palpatine contacted him again, so they could easily have done the two in rapid fashion before Anakin was any the wiser (or, even if that couldn't be guaranteed, it at least would've allowed them to kill the galactic emperor mastermind and left them with just a single fugitive with no resources of his own), and
8) Upon the failure of their attempt to take out Palpatine, they immediately give up and go into hiding for two decades, rather than trying to rally the remaining Jedi (which they set the ground work for by issuing a stay away order at the Jedi Academy to try to make sure that stragglers didn't come back to Coruscant).

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, as I'm intentionally avoiding potential lapses in judgment that could've been explained away with an intentionally convoluted plot by Palpatine and/or the reaches of his dark powers clouding the minds and judgment of others.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Wait, wait, wait. Don't they specifically choose Anakin because of his history with him? I thought that was the point.

Also, them going into hiding because of their defeat totally fits what Jedi are: space Samurai. But they didn't kill themselves because of their honor.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:09 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Wait, wait, wait. Don't they specifically choose Anakin because of his history with him? I thought that was the point.

Also, them going into hiding because of their defeat totally fits what Jedi are: space Samurai. But they didn't kill themselves because of their honor.
That's the reasoning, but it was also something they did despite being wary at any and all uncontrolled emotion by force users and one that Anakin was easily troubled with. Maybe that point can be explained away with the Jedi being desperate for information, but the other points still stand.

And I get the space samurai part, but they're also supposed to be the protectors of the galaxy and for a thousand generations (or years, depending on which line of Lucas dialogue you want to believe) did so largely by themselves in a mostly demilitarized Republic, but at the galaxy's most troubling time they just gave up after their order was crushed rather than trying literally anything to stop the Emperor prior to his power becoming entrenched galaxy-wide. That seemed character- and even theme-breaking to me.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:14 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50

You're welcome.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

But I'm not in Chicago.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:29 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

You're welcome.
Bah, but I'm keeping to a diet for the next 2+ weeks, even for my birthday tomorrow....

Old
03-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's the reasoning, but it was also something they did despite being wary at any and all uncontrolled emotion by force users and one that Anakin was easily troubled with. Maybe that point can be explained away with the Jedi being desperate for information, but the other points still stand.

And I get the space samurai part, but they're also supposed to be the protectors of the galaxy and for a thousand generations (or years, depending on which line of Lucas dialogue you want to believe) did so largely by themselves in a mostly demilitarized Republic, but at the galaxy's most troubling time they just gave up after their order was crushed rather than trying literally anything to stop the Emperor prior to his power becoming entrenched galaxy-wide. That seemed character- and even theme-breaking to me.
Greedo shot first though.

As an actual reply, I don't know. I'd have to rewatch the films. Like I said, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan ever. I like the mythology and world more than I do the actual films. Sword fighting in space, laser-wielding Samurai, all that jazz. That's my type of universe.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:42 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Just re-watched the final battle scene. The mythology of it is what makes it classic, not the actual fighting (kinda lame) or acting (really lame).

Old
03-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

When I rewatch the films, I'll do Machete Order though.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Have successfully convinced the fiancee to go to Brazil for the honeymoon, now just can't pull the trigger on the flights. Haven't spent that much on flights before.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:57 PM
xX Hot Fuss

How much are they for a round trip to Brazil? I know they're about $700 to go to Costa Rica in the summer so I can only imagine what they'd be for Brazil.

Also, Chemistry teachers who assign a test the day after St. Patrick's day are evil evil people. I want to throw up something green

Closed Thread