HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Okay, Canadians, I have a question about rivalries within your country...

Old
03-17-2014, 09:16 PM
GOSENSGO1987

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecar View Post
sorry but the sens suck against the leafs. please, in order to have a rivalry i have to atleast think the other team may win. when leafs face the sens, i know the leafs will always win.

sabres have a better chance of beating the leafs than the sens do.
When people say EVERYONE hates The Leafs, it's because of ********** like this guy. You JUST made it back to the playoffs after a decade and it took a half season to bring it back. Leafs are garbage and you aren't goin anywhere near The Cup.

GOSENSGO1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:22 PM
racecar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSENSGO1987 View Post
When people say EVERYONE hates The Leafs, it's because of ********** like this guy. You JUST made it back to the playoffs after a decade and it took a half season to bring it back. Leafs are garbage and you aren't goin anywhere near The Cup.
don't you have to make the playoffs to win the cup? pretty sure the leafs are closer to that than the sens

racecar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
don't you have to make the playoffs to win the cup? pretty sure the leafs are closer to that than the sens

Look at who is getting cocky because his favourite team might make the playoffs who the second time in 9 seasons...

And then people wonder why some Leafs fans (a small minority, thanks God) are considered childish.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:57 PM
GOSENSGO1987

As a Sens fan:

HATE/LOATHE:

Montreal, Toronto equally ( both fan bases are annoyingly smug, obnoxious and arrogant due to accomplishments that took place DECADES ago ).

Neutral:

Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg

GOSENSGO1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:57 PM
racecar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

Look at who is getting cocky because his favourite team might make the playoffs who the second time in 9 seasons...

And then people wonder why some Leafs fans (a small minority, thanks God) are considered childish.
ok im not allowed to be happy now?

oh i guess i should be ashamed that the leafs are finally becoming a good team. shame on me.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:06 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
ok im not allowed to be happy now?

oh i guess i should be ashamed that the leafs are finally becoming a good team. shame on me.
Being happy = good

Being cocky = bad

Repeat after me...

In other words, there's a chasm between being happy and getting in other people's face.

PS: You should be ashamed, but not because of the Leafs.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:09 PM
racecar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Being happy = good

Being cocky = bad

Repeat after me...

In other words, there's a chasm between being happy and getting in other people's face.
how am i being cocky....?
did i say the leafs are gonna win the cup? no
did i say the leafs are the best team ever? no

don't put words in my mouth.

im just an excited leaf fan thats looking forward to the future.
i know seeing leaf nation happy upsets you.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:19 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...)
i know seeing leaf nation happy upsets you.
You just showed how much you know...

Brilliant.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Reesor

I'm an Oiler fan living in Winnipeg and while not many fans hate the Jets right now, the Oilers/their fans still receive a lot of hate from Winnipeggers. Largely due to the fact that Edmonton knocked them out of the playoffs every time they went on to win a cup.

Oh nostalgia :p

Point being I guess there is still bitterness and rivalry towards the oilers from a winnipeg perspective.

Reesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

It's not the teams, so much, as the fans... although for a real good hate, despising the team helps too.

As a Canucks fan...

Hate:
Oilers - Their fanbase is pretty hard to take, and despite a long period of sucking they still strut around because they won some Stanley Cups 20+ years ago. I also hate them because I was a Canucks fan during the Gretzky years and they regularly killed us without even breaking a sweat.

Leafs - Similarly hard to take fanbase as the Oilers, plus they're everywhere. It's not as bad as it used to be, but Leafs games in Vancouver used to be like home games for them. Like Red Sox fans, they're insufferable losers and even more insufferable winners. Plus, Harold Ballard.

Not Sure If Hate:

Calgary - used to hate them... now I mostly feel pity. Iginla did a lot to redeem the franchise in my mind. Now that Iginla is gone and provided they ever become good again, this could all change.

Montreal - The team I hated the most during the 1970's, when I was a kid. They were very good and very arrogant, and it pissed me off. The whole Yankees of hockey, Stanley Cup every decade, b.s. was hard to swallow. I think the last 20 or so years have taught them some humility. That said, a bit of success could go right to their heads again

Pfft, Whatever:
Ottawa & Winnipeg - neither have ever done much to draw my ire

Last edited by Ogie Goldthorpe: 03-18-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Timeless Enigma

I'm surprised to see a lot of Sens/Flames friendliness, thought it was just me.

I've lived in BC all my life and Vancouver for half of it and I have a strong dislike for the Canucks and cheer for Ottawa and Calgary, go figure.

Should also mention... as a Sens fan I loathe Montreal a little more than I do Toronto. As a Flames fan I don't hate Edmonton that much.

Timeless Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Avec Fromage*

Toronto hates Montreal and dislikes/mocks Ottawa when they acknowledge its presence. Ottawa hates Toronto. Montreal's feelings for Toronto are probably closer to Toronto's feelings for Ottawa than Toronto's feelings for Montreal, but this is likely due to Toronto being awful the last few years and should change with a playoff series.

Vancouverites hate Toronto for really no reason. They should hate Toronto because its former owner tried to stop the city from getting a franchise, but most don't even know this. They just hate Toronto because it is typically recognized as the big city in Canada when Vancouver wants to be recognized as that... which is a little petty, if you ask me.

Quebec and Montreal was a big one. You'll still find Quebecers who hate the Habs.

Overall, I'd say rivalries between Canadian teams have softened because, currently, most are average teams or much worse. Montreal and Toronto are average. The Sens and Canucks are slightly below. The Flames, Oilers, and Jets are awful.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:47 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor View Post
I'm an Oiler fan living in Winnipeg and while not many fans hate the Jets right now, the Oilers/their fans still receive a lot of hate from Winnipeggers. Largely due to the fact that Edmonton knocked them out of the playoffs every time they went on to win a cup.

Oh nostalgia :p

Point being I guess there is still bitterness and rivalry towards the oilers from a winnipeg perspective.
Huh? I have no hate towards the Oilers and I've yet to meet anyone else here in Winnipeg who does. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard anyone even mention the Oilers, other than on days we play them. Those days, the things I hear are just normal comments about facing a regular team, no hate at all.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Stats01

The whole Toronto-Montreal rivalry trescends sports. It has to do with a lot of different things. English vs. French, politics, Montreal used to be the epicentre of Canada...it's been Toronto since the late 60's/early 70's. Montreal used to be the most populous city but it's Toronto for decades now. The Toronto-Montreal rivalry is as old as this country like another poster said and it will never die.

When it comes to purely hockey, everyone hates Toronto. Myself and my fellow Leaf fans...the ones I know, hate Montreal and Ottawa, Vancouver. We don't like Edmonton/Calgary or Winnipeg. I was ok with the Jets at the beginning but their constant Leaf bashing like they've been around for the past 30/40 years really turned me off. It's quite pathetic the way they squawk about us and act like we have some sort of big rivalry with them..truth of the matter is before 3 years ago we didn't give a **** about Winnipeg or the Jets.

Why Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary hate Toronto is beyond me but they do. Canuck fans can't go a day without mentioning the Leafs. A lot of these rivalries goes beyond sports. If I were to guess..Vancouverites hate Toronto because we're the big city in this country and being out west they don't feel like they get enough recognition. Other than that I really don't know why they hate Toronto..I think I'm pretty spot on though.

Last edited by Stats01: 03-18-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:09 AM
VanCanucks14

I've seen a lot of Leaf fans mention that Canuck fans have a one sided hate towards Toronto but ever since 2011 I see way more Canucks hate from the Toronto media and fans than the other way around. Before then I'd agree with you and say it was very one sided and it used to bother me how Canuck fans hated on Toronto for no real reasons but now the roles are reversed it seems. I see tons of hate from the Leaf fans on this board at least.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Edmonton vs Calgary used to be a huge rivalry. Not anymore, the fans and teams don't like each other but it isn't as bitter as it used to be.

Edmonton vs Vancouver isn't that bad for casual fans, but for hardcore fans and for the players it is obviously bitter.

Calgary vs Vancouver is the same. Casual fans may not notice a rivalry but the players (and now coaches) certainly do.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:56 AM
clydesdale line

All I can say is, I can't wait till Quebec gets a team again.

Would love to see them fuel some hate again.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:04 AM
Slicknitty
The Crappening

vCash: 5187
Edmonton Fan

Don't play the eastern teams enough to hate them but I do like the Habs and Senators...Winnipeg is a breath of fresh air.

Out west there are the prairie rivalries, all of the fan bases dislike each other very strongly here.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:06 AM
btimbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Why Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary hate Toronto is beyond me but they do. Canuck fans can't go a day without mentioning the Leafs. A lot of these rivalries goes beyond sports. If I were to guess..Vancouverites hate Toronto because we're the big city in this country and being out west they don't feel like they get enough recognition. Other than that I really don't know why they hate Toronto..I think I'm pretty spot on though.
For Calgary fans, it's because Phaneuf

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:11 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
As a Flames fan, I hate the Canucks.
I can tolerate the Oilers.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:13 AM
stavs

I personally hate Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver.

Montreal/Ottawa are geographically close and I don't like the fanbases of either team (mind you, its a double edged sword so same probably goes for the leafs fanbase)

My hate for Vancouver was fueled by their finals appearance in 2011 giving birth to a generally smug fanbase(not all fans, but its a characteristic that grew exponentially in fans at the time and has carried over through the years). Their fans are not as bad anymore. It was also annoying having to deal with stupid Bandwagon fans.

I am neutral towards Winnepeg and Calgary however I'm starting to develop a hate for Winnepeg.

I actually like the Oilers and their core, I think they will be good and aside from a few dumb fans, they aren't too bad.

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:16 AM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Leafs and Sens have an inferiority complex toward the Habs.
LOL no.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Sometimes I seriously wonder about habs fans.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:12 AM
29dryden29

For me and my family it is just the HABS Laffs rivalry and hatred for us. We LOVE to hate the Laffs. There is no other rivalry IMHO that comes close for us.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
As said before, Toronto and Montreal have a rivalry older than Canada. The two largest cities with two very different histories leading into being Canadian.

Last edited by Leafidelity: 03-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote