HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Speed vs. Power

Old
02-21-2007, 08:11 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Speed vs. Power

The Rangers seem to be a little confused these days. They signed Shanahan and traded for Hall. Now they traded Hall for Dupuis and acquired Avery. They dontseem to know if they want to be a speed or power team. I was interested to hear your opinions on this matter. Would you rather see a speed or power team or a blend of both styles? Why?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:15 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
My personal taste has always been a nice mix of speed and power, but if I had to pick between the two I'd go with speed. Fast teams get to lose pucks, control the play, punish slower/sloppier teams for their mistakes. It's hard to go wrong with a fast team considering how important skating is in this sport.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:43 PM
John Torturella

I like the way Buffalo plays. They are so fast that when they play power teams they cant be caught. But also having some power is nice especially having somone like Avery who is not scared to go to the front of the net

Old
02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Pariseisgod*

i think u have to have some of each but i think speed is a little more important.

Pariseisgod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:45 AM
WheresBarnaby

The North American style of hockey used to be about power, now the entire NHL is definetly headed more towards small, fast fowards. I like both, but If I had my choice I usually will go with one fat guy back, two medium guys and a skinny guy up front.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:00 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I'll take the power game.

Speed is neutralized by hitting and when the games get to the grind in the corners speed is usually not a factor.

Strong along the boards and in front o fht enets will keep the faster teams on the perimeter thus limiting the good scoring chances.

Speed has it's place, but if I'm building a team, I'm not building it on speed.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:16 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
The Rangers seem to be a little confused these days. They signed Shanahan and traded for Hall. Now they traded Hall for Dupuis and acquired Avery. They dontseem to know if they want to be a speed or power team. I was interested to hear your opinions on this matter. Would you rather see a speed or power team or a blend of both styles? Why?
No need to reiterate Sam's Blog in here. True blend would require players like Jagr which is rarity. Mixing fast players with heavy ones is not the blend that works well. But Rangers do not have the choice.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'll take the power game.

Speed is neutralized by hitting and when the games get to the grind in the corners speed is usually not a factor.

Strong along the boards and in front o fht enets will keep the faster teams on the perimeter thus limiting the good scoring chances.

Speed has it's place, but if I'm building a team, I'm not building it on speed.
What makes power effective? Speed. That's why Hall and for the most part Orr have not worked out well. I don't think there's a clear answer, its the neverending chicken and egg scenario.

Give a guy like Straka the matchup of going against Rafalski and he'll be quite effective.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
What makes power effective? Speed. That's why Hall and for the most part Orr have not worked out well. I don't think there's a clear answer, its the neverending chicken and egg scenario.

Give a guy like Straka the matchup of going against Rafalski and he'll be quite effective.
You gotta combine the two like Herb Brooks did when he was Ranger coach. The real trick is getting power guys on defense, they don't necessarily need speed so much as agility on skates. Good lateral movement can make up for speed.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
The North American style of hockey used to be about power, now the entire NHL is definetly headed more towards small, fast fowards. I like both, but If I had my choice I usually will go with one fat guy back, two medium guys and a skinny guy up front.

That is the key to sucess without a doubt.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I think in today's NHL you have to have both.

If you have big and strong like Hall, but have no speed, you will not survive since the NHL is so fast now.

If you are really fast but bounce off too easily, you won't survive either...see Krog.

That is why I love Avery...he is fast and tough. We need more guys like that. I hope that next season, if we let Shany go, we can bring in some young guys like Dubinsky.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:04 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like to have power guys on speed.

Damn, they'd never get tired and they could absolutely obliterate the other team.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:42 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I'd like to have power guys on speed.

Damn, they'd never get tired and they could absolutely obliterate the other team.
lol if only...

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:47 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
ideally, i'd like to see speed with grit up front, and skilled power on defense.

i think the problem with the team as is comes from the fact that they don't consistently attack as a unit. the forwards outside of the jagr line don't seem to have a real feel for each other and where they are going to be...not that i'd expect them to since there's so much shifting.

and the same goes for the defense. unfortunately, there are too many times where they looked confused on who should be where and who's covering who.

it's not as bad as it was pre-lockout, but this team needs to be more organized.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:47 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post

I think that positioning and hockey sense make having a power forward type player much more effective than speed. I mean they can't be like Purinton and Orr in the skating department but I don't think that a team full of players like Straka would be all that successful in the NHL.

As for the match-up of Straka and Rafalski, I think Rafalski takes that match-up 8 out of 10 times. I think that Rafalski is much better at his position than Straka is at his. But I also think that that is a bad comparison because they both play a somewhat similar speed/finnesse game where as Straka would be totally nullified if he were going against Colin White who plays a pwer game and is positionally sound and has good hockey sense.

Old
02-23-2007, 08:12 PM
roxchipsi8

I think it depends on the system the team plays. If you're going dump and chase, you need more power to win the battles along the board and cycle the puck. If you're going to play more of a flow and regroup game, speed is the priority. That being said, speed and power aren't mutually exclusive.

roxchipsi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:13 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post

haha, best game ever

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:19 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I want players who are agile, hard to knock off their skates have a decent amount of speed, but most importantly, they play the body and they have a mean streak. When the playoffs come finesse goes away and the alley cats survie.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:27 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Definitely speed.

Speed plus power is the ideal, but think about it - how many great power forwards can you think of that were slower than average...? Conversely, from Maurice the Rocket to Pavel Bure, there are plenty of examples of world class forwards who were all speed and very little power.

On D, it's a bit different, because clearing the net and wiping out forwards behind the net is very important, but you still don't want guys who are plodding if you can help it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Definitely speed.

Speed plus power is the ideal, but think about it - how many great power forwards can you think of that were slower than average...? Conversely, from Maurice the Rocket to Pavel Bure, there are plenty of examples of world class forwards who were all speed and very little power.

On D, it's a bit different, because clearing the net and wiping out forwards behind the net is very important, but you still don't want guys who are plodding if you can help it.
Cam Neely, Tim Kerr and John LeClair are a few guys that have had world class type of seasons (multi seasons) where their skating wasn't an issue.

Old
02-23-2007, 10:16 PM
FLYLine24*

In the "new" NHL speed...but realistically you want a good balance of each to win games vs team with different styles of play.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:32 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Cam Neely, Tim Kerr and John LeClair are a few guys that have had world class type of seasons (multi seasons) where their skating wasn't an issue.
My point exactly - their skating wasn't a major issue. I would argue that they were all at least decent skaters. Not world class, certainly, but they could keep up.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:42 AM
JRGNYR

I think really the key term is "skating," and not necessarily speed. Obviously there's a place for speed in the NHL, there always has been. But you need to balance that with power, and those power guys need to be able to skate.

If you're not a particularly gifted team when it comes to speed or quickness, positioning and skating can go a long way with size and power to neutralize that speed. But the NHL overall has done a 180 from what it used to be, dominated by power with select speed, and now dominated by speed with select power.

I think it's cyclical. Eventually the players coming into the NHL will adapt, and we'll have some more power guys who have increased foot speed and better skating.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:45 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No need to reiterate Sam's Blog in here. True blend would require players like Jagr which is rarity. Mixing fast players with heavy ones is not the blend that works well. But Rangers do not have the choice.
Who is Sam?

Old
02-25-2007, 02:50 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Who is Sam?
Sam Weinman

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote