HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

Old
10-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Redstreak

vCash: 500
Hey, I'm working with a friend to start up a new team next season, and I've been working on getting our jerseys for it. The LHS recommended a brand called K1, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

Any input?

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 02:44 PM
JaeTM

Any solid recommendations for elbow and shin pads? I'm in need of a new pair and with Christmas coming up, this is a good time to get some. Looking to spend around $40-$50 on each.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:55 AM
clapper19*

Anyone a breakaway rewards member at Total Hockey?

clapper19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:12 PM
SacredPetra

I'm upgrading my shoulder pads but I can't decide between the Nexus 600 and the Nexus 1000. Aside from the price difference is there a reason why I should go with one or the other? My LHS doesn't carry the Nexus 1000 line in stores or online ( although I haven't asked about then ordering it) and I liked the 600s but I also really liked the 3 piece bicep guard in the Supreme One.8s ( but the fit through the chest wasn't as good).

Basically, I'm indecisive and hoping someone here can give new a reason why I should go with the 1000s over the 600s or vice versa.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 02:02 PM
AIREAYE

The 1000s are perhaps one of the bulkiest (yet most protective) and tank-like shoulders around. Thick plastic everywhere. I think it's overkill for most people, even those playing high-level contact hockey.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
Any solid recommendations for elbow and shin pads? I'm in need of a new pair and with Christmas coming up, this is a good time to get some. Looking to spend around $40-$50 on each.
For elbows, I went with Reebok 14ks after trying on multiple others in the price range (Easton, Bauer, etc.). I picked them due to the fact that they don't pinch at all when I move my arms, which the others all seemed to do to some degree.

For shins, I have 5ks, but that decision was mostly based on getting them on clearance. I do like them, but didn't really try many others, so you may get some better recommendations off others.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:08 PM
SacredPetra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The 1000s are perhaps one of the bulkiest (yet most protective) and tank-like shoulders around. Thick plastic everywhere. I think it's overkill for most people, even those playing high-level contact hockey.
I did wonder about how much bulkier they would be. The league I'm in now is more physical, but I don't need to go that much more protective than my One40s if it means a significant increase in bulk.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 07:14 PM
SillyMe

Good Thread.

I used to play hockey in Peewees, but wasn't on skates for 34 years until this week (bought a pair of RBZ70 last Saturday and have been to free skate twice this week- with almost NOONE there!).

I am now trying to get my legs back under me, so I can at least participate in StickTime around here, which requires a minimum of Helmet and gloves.
I bought a cheap helmet,gloves ( Bauer 2100/cage, and X3.0 gloves), and a Warrior DT5LT (55) just to get me in, but I'm realizing I will need at least shinpads to really get me in...
I've been searching everywhere for info for everything from shinpads, to compression pants/cup/shirts, jerseys/socks/shoulders/elbows, etc....it's tiring!
This is a good place to start, and is much appreciated.
Being only 5'8"/145, I have found that I can even fit into some Jr. stuff to save some $....which is nice!
I'm 49, so I have no delusions(especially after all that time off....I used to be a good skater, but you'd never know it!), but I want to be prepared for when I DO finally feel strong enough on my skates to get back into it.
Do I need to say that I've been everywhere searching for ALL the info I can about EVERYTHING?

Thanks for the thread.

Gary

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 06:20 PM
titaniumexpose

A little different equipment question: I try to go to as many public skates as I can to work on things, stops on both sides for example. Not much of a choice of venues here so they are usually busy with lots of unsupervised brats and little room. Anyway I'm not getting dressed up in full hockey pants and shin pads for this, so does anyone have any recommendations for knee pads I can wear under jeans? Every time I fall it's always my knees.

titaniumexpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:33 PM
AIREAYE

Volleyball knee pads should do the trick. Bike shorts for the bum.

Old
01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

How much does it usually cost to get your skates sharpened for the first time, I just bought new Bauer Vapor skates, just need to save up for the registration fee and then for the skate sharpening (if it does cost a bunch)

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:26 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandle Bars View Post
How much does it usually cost to get your skates sharpened for the first time, I just bought new Bauer Vapor skates, just need to save up for the registration fee and then for the skate sharpening (if it does cost a bunch)
It usually costs about 10-15, but usually 10 or so. Sometimes if you are at a late public skate and they have a guy there who can sharpen them they'll do it for free, at least that's what happened to me a couple times.

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Canadiens1958

Quebec

Quebec at arena pro shops usually $5-7.00 range.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:29 AM
SillyMe

Usually $6 for a sharpening here in Ma., but you usually get a free sharpen when you buy the skates.

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:28 PM
titaniumexpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Volleyball knee pads should do the trick. Bike shorts for the bum.
Awesome. Appreciate the response, thanks!

titaniumexpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 05:56 PM
moreoutdoor

so, I would appreciate any opinions on some 'basic' shoulder pads. Coming from some really oldschool WinWells - you know - shoelaces holding the 2 sides together at the sternum and spine...
Don;t need/want anything overblown, just a bit more sternum protection than the olde crappe.a lil cover over the spine prolly not a bad thing...
Something like the Bauer Nexus 400 pads - low profile, basic, not hot,
any thoughts on these? or similar - suggestions?
???
Thx

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 06:47 PM
AIREAYE

Well, Sherwood makes the 5030 and 9950 shoulder pads and CCM makes their 1899 shoulder pads, which are essentially 'updated' vintage style pads like what you currently have.

I suggest trying on different makes of lower-end pads to see what fits you the best. I've always liked CCM lower end pads as well as Easton Stealth. If it's fitted well, you can't really go wrong.

Old
02-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Tried on some Warrior gloves today but can't really tell if the Covert DT2s are considerably better than the DT3s - at least, enough to drop an extra $20. Anyone have any experience with them and could comment?

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Weber6
Shea Weber

What are the lightest mits gloves with only a little padding? I need them for ball hockey so something thats less clunky is better

Weber6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 07:09 PM
AIREAYE

Low end lacrosse gloves

Old
03-17-2014, 02:22 PM
McDugan

CCM Dryland if you can find them.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Twrekx
Rookie User

First off I have to say this is a great thread, so much info (especially on cages)and view points. I will be starting the beginner program with Hockey North America, as I like how it's kind of like adult Tim's bit hockey. I did play up to first year peewee but that was about 30 years ago so I feel I have much to relearn. Anyways when it came to my gear I took a few factors into consideration. First was whom I would be playing with and against, 18 and over beginners. My experience with this age group has been as a martial arts instructor. What I've seen is there is a huge tendency to go "full out" to win, which lead to many injuries, so I expect to hacked/slashed/bumped accidentally on purpose. Next is the skill of myself and those around me. I expect to fall a lot from losing an edge and I expect the same from those around me, and so I expect to hit the ice a lot.

With these factors in mind I have gone with intermediate level gear for the added protection. So far I have bought:

Bauer Nexus Havok shoulders and pants. The Nexus Havok is an exclusive brand to Source for Sports and is equivalent to the Nexus 600 gear.

Bauer Supreme one. comp shins

What has not been mentioned is the use of neck guards or slash socks. My son has used the Bauer slash socks since he started playing when he was 7 as a goalie. I will be buying both for myself as accidents happen.

Twrekx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Canadiens1958

Accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrekx View Post
First off I have to say this is a great thread, so much info (especially on cages)and view points. I will be starting the beginner program with Hockey North America, as I like how it's kind of like adult Tim's bit hockey. I did play up to first year peewee but that was about 30 years ago so I feel I have much to relearn. Anyways when it came to my gear I took a few factors into consideration. First was whom I would be playing with and against, 18 and over beginners. My experience with this age group has been as a martial arts instructor. What I've seen is there is a huge tendency to go "full out" to win, which lead to many injuries, so I expect to hacked/slashed/bumped accidentally on purpose. Next is the skill of myself and those around me. I expect to fall a lot from losing an edge and I expect the same from those around me, and so I expect to hit the ice a lot.

With these factors in mind I have gone with intermediate level gear for the added protection. So far I have bought:

Bauer Nexus Havok shoulders and pants. The Nexus Havok is an exclusive brand to Source for Sports and is equivalent to the Nexus 600 gear.

Bauer Supreme one. comp shins

What has not been mentioned is the use of neck guards or slash socks. My son has used the Bauer slash socks since he started playing when he was 7 as a goalie. I will be buying both for myself as accidents happen.
Should be your first purchase. Adults have a much longer span and when they fall or lose control the accidental blow to another carries greater speed and power.

Proactive works better than reactive.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Twrekx
Rookie User

Since I am slowly buying my gear over the summer I will be getting the socks and a Bauer shirt w/neck guard. The shoulders, pants and shin pads were all on sale so I had to grab them ASAP.

Twrekx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 10:07 AM
terranraida

vCash: 50
Has anyone used any skate tighteners? I am looking to get my laces tighter than I can get them by hand, but I don't want to buy junk...

terranraida is online now   Reply With Quote