HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Core?

Old
03-17-2014, 11:15 PM
alphafox

vCash: 500
I personally divide the core of the team into a two groups (which are not mutually exclusive):

Core Players based on talent, on ice play, and potential:
Bobrovsky
Johansen
Jenner
Murray

Core Players based on Leadership, locker room influence, and other intangibles:
Foligno
JMFJ
Dubinsky
Horton
Wiz

The big question is does the further development in group A make members of Group B expendable. Horton was brought in for his clutch ability, playoff experience, and veteran leadership, if Jenner and Johansen develop those qualities over the next few years does that make him expendable? Dubinsky is a physical on the ice leader, but if Jenner moved to center and Anisimov makes the next step does he become expendable? How does moving Foligno affect Bob?

As much as we all want to build the all star team, it is becoming more and more clear that success is as much dependent upon scheme and chemistry as talent for the Blue Jackets, which makes the team culture as important as the roster, if not more so.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:24 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
I would give up anyone not named Ryan or Bob for him.
Yakupov? Ugh. No thanks. I think Columbus is done with that kind of player. I get it, lots of promise, draft people love him...except he can't play at this level and I very much donut he would buy in to Richards' system. Pass

Old
03-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Dema

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Yakupov? Ugh. No thanks. I think Columbus is done with that kind of player. I get it, lots of promise, draft people love him...except he can't play at this level and I very much donut he would buy in to Richards' system. Pass
IDK, depending who you are giving up for him...
You would still have Russian players on CBJ and mgt like JD/Jarmo to develop him.
It "could" work, could be different this time...

Dema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:10 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Sounds like a load of crepes to me. I think you heard the clamoring for trading for Yakupov and just glazed over. Surely the discussions wouldn't get pastRy an, whether it be Murray or Johansen. The team could certainly use a few more top tier skill guys sprinkled into the lineup. We're not exactly creme filled here. It wouldn't be a piece of cake though, you have to give something to get something. It's not like this is custard's last stand over there in Edmonton.

powdered sugar

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:19 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
I would give up anyone not named Ryan or Bob for him.
Don't think so. List has to be larger than that.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:42 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Sounds like a load of crepes to me. I think you heard the clamoring for trading for Yakupov and just glazed over. Surely the discussions wouldn't get pastRy an, whether it be Murray or Johansen. The team could certainly use a few more top tier skill guys sprinkled into the lineup. We're not exactly creme filled here. It wouldn't be a piece of cake though, you have to give something to get something. It's not like this is custard's last stand over there in Edmonton.

powdered sugar
Mmmm, donuts!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:15 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I kind of agree with some of this; but you are probably a bit too hard on him as well. Can't play at this level? Seen no evidence of that.

There is a certain ex-linemate of Johansen that had an epic disaster his first year and came back from it. One could claim we are in sophomore slump territory with Nail. His first season wasn't too shabby.

Let me clarify; I'm not saying I'm interested (a lot of people seem to think the moment you defend someone against an extreme position you are suddenly supporting them - some smart/good posters at that). Just saying that you could very well be on the extreme side and might want to moderate this opinion a bit.

I think I'm going to have to put a disclaimer at the end of all my posts.

Old
03-18-2014, 09:24 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I kind of agree with some of this; but you are probably a bit too hard on him as well. Can't play at this level? Seen no evidence of that.

There is a certain ex-linemate of Johansen that had an epic disaster his first year and came back from it. One could claim we are in sophomore slump territory with Nail. His first season wasn't too shabby.

Let me clarify; I'm not saying I'm interested (a lot of people seem to think the moment you defend someone against an extreme position you are suddenly supporting them - some smart/good posters at that). Just saying that you could very well be on the extreme side and might want to moderate this opinion a bit.

I think I'm going to have to put a disclaimer at the end of all my posts.
Interesting idea, I am having a wonderful time imagining what it would be!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:40 AM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
LOL I like how you called Horton a complimentary piece and then go on to say Brown is apart of the LA core. Hilarious.
You don't think the LA King's captain is part of their core?

IHeartZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:41 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Interesting idea, I am having a wonderful time imagining what it would be!
"Disclaimer: I am not (as) surly as my post(s) may indicate."?

Old
03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Dema

Quote:
Thats pretty good, I should use that myself

Dema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:59 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
You don't think the LA King's captain is part of their core?
Not one bit.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post

powdered sugar
You get a cookie. (And not just to complete the ensemble. )

While I'm not exactly in a rush to add More Flashy Skill, I do think Yakupov potentially represents an opportunity to bring that in in a form that we can actually use. He's obviously not there yet, and I wouldn't expect him to be an immediate payoff, but I have enough confidence in our team structure and system now that I think we really could turn a problem child into a star.

Quote:
I've kind of always assumed that one.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:12 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

What a different discussion this is today then maybe three years ago. At that point many would've said Nash was the core of the team and very little else. It yet Nash was traded and it was a catalyst to building a team with depth. I'm hesitant to talk about core players because I think this team needs only some fine tuning. Thus I would like to keep the majority of this roster. But of course it takes some assets in order to add assets unless it's done through free agency. While anyone may be tradable, I would feel most comfortable if the assets such as Calvert, Savard, RJ, and Horton (the latter two because of contracts). For the fright deal I would add Cam to this list. I left out several the role and NHL/AHL players because I'm not sure of their trade value. I don't know if that makes the rest of the team core players, but I want to keep them. I think we've assembled a good group and can sprinkle in a few quality players to raise the ceiling of this team.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote