HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Game #68|Tue., Mar. 18, 2014| Blackhawks at Flyers| 7:30 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2014, 09:52 AM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
good move going with Emery.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Win this one for Kimmo, you know it is his birthday today!

Old
03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
healthyscratch

I was looking forward to the game tonight but it had to happen at some point. I just fear that the hawks know all his tendencies and will exploit them all tonight. Hope we play a good sound defensive game tonight and protect him as much as possible.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Doors

I know that this is said a million times before, but PLEASE Chief, for the love of god let Gustafsson play instead of Grossmann in this game. We really need him against a team like Chicago.

I also hope that Emery is ready to play, we need a goalie in top shape if we want to take two points tonight.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:20 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
good move going with Emery.
Couldn't disagree more, high skilled puck moving teams are the LAST teams that no Hip Razor should play against. Leave him for Dallas. He got lit up last time, and he will get lit up again.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:30 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
So according to twitter Emery is probably starting... so basically Berube is giving up this game. The only way they win now is if the team plays 100% perfect in front of him.
Jonsey said razor looked sharp in practice. Nailed it!

Old
03-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Couldn't disagree more, high skilled puck moving teams are the LAST teams that no Hip Razor should play against. Leave him for Dallas.
The Stars extremely talented first line lit us up last time.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Im not sure about that.

It's kinda like people saying we were not making the playoffs because of our tough schedule but we came out and won the first two games in our rough schedule.

Emery will get up for this game, he is playing against his former team where he won a cup. He hasn't played in a while and should either be ready to go or a little rusty. I think he will be gearing up to go here since he is playing his former team. Mason needs a rest here too.
Emery was in the net when we played against the Blackhawks earlier this year. He got lit up.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020471
But you're right, Mason needs rest.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Emery was in the net when we played against the Blackhawks earlier this year. He got lit up.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020471
But you're right, Mason needs rest.
I actually realized this when I posted it. It will give him motivation to play better this time around.

I'm not saying it's going to be a win or anything, just find it silly people immediately right off games because of certain things.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Curufinwe

Starting a tired Mason against Chicago is worse than starting Emery. We may well lose but I think it makes sense.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Depending how the first two periods go, I may or may not hit the gym tonight.

Old
03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

G must lead the way tonight.

Old
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Akanon

Quote:
I actually realized this when I posted it. It will give him motivation to play better this time around.

I'm not saying it's going to be a win or anything, just find it silly people immediately right off games because of certain things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Starting a tired Mason against Chicago is worse than starting Emery. We may well lose but I think it makes sense.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
03-18-2014, 11:38 AM
mantis toboggan

Why did we not pick up a capable backup at the deadline.... There were quite a few available. I just don't feel confident when emery starts, especially against a team like the hawks.

Here's to him proving me wrong!

Old
03-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis toboggan View Post
Why did we not pick up a capable backup at the deadline.... There were quite a few available. I just don't feel confident when emery starts, especially against a team like the hawks.

Here's to him proving me wrong!
Probably because the Flyers had about 3 dates in mind from here on out that he'll play.

Old
03-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
OK...so, Emery has seen a lot of their shooters. But...they've also seen a lot of him and are going to be well aware of his weaknesses. They have a deep team, if they start getting good puck movement (I'm expecting Schenn's line to be a complete detriment in their own end) things could get ugly.

03-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
OK...so, Emery has seen a lot of their shooters. But...they've also seen a lot of him and are going to be well aware of his weaknesses. They have a deep team, if they start getting good puck movement (I'm expecting Schenn's line to be a complete detriment in their own end) things could get ugly.
yeah, best be prepared for alot of east/west puck movement trying to get Emery to have to use those zombie hips..

if Gus. isnt in to replace Grossmann i suspect a shot total against nearing 50...

Old
03-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Raanta is starting for Hawks tonight

Old
03-18-2014, 12:46 PM
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer

Ok Emery, this is your chance. Please please please don't **** it up too badly....

Old
03-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Emery ought to have played on Sunday. Simple as that.

Old
03-18-2014, 01:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Well at least their backup is getting the nod as well, Raanta's numbers aren't really that good despite playing behind one of the best defenses in the league.

Old
03-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well at least their backup is getting the nod as well, Raanta's numbers aren't really that good despite playing behind one of the best defenses in the league.
He has struggled since hot start + He barely plays so that doesn't help him either

Old
03-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Garbage Goal

Meh, we have to play Emery at some point the problem is that there is literally zero NHL goalie depth beyond Mason in the first place. Playing Emery may or may not turn out badly, but playing with fire isn't smart regardless of if you actually get burned or not. Except when I say playing with fire I don't mean having to start Emery. I just mean having pretty much nothing decent after Mason (it's basically Emery then Heeter then...Gustafsson in goalie gear?).

Quote:
Im not sure about that.

It's kinda like people saying we were not making the playoffs because of our tough schedule but we came out and won the first two games in our rough schedule.

Emery will get up for this game, he is playing against his former team where he won a cup. He hasn't played in a while and should either be ready to go or a little rusty. I think he will be gearing up to go here since he is playing his former team. Mason needs a rest here too.
The first two were against the same team and it's a team the Flyers match up well against proven by our record versus them since 2012 or so and they were also injured beyond belief. Probably the most injured team I've seen this season. Not exactly a fair representation of our schedule.

Old
03-18-2014, 01:25 PM

No need for the fear and pessimism shown here. They are a fantastic side but only 3 teams have won more in the past 10 than ourselves. Chicago only have 4 more ROWs than us and they're 5-5 in the last 10.

They're good, they're probably better than us overall but we can beat them. Respect them, don't fear them.

Old
03-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Meh, we have to play Emery at some point the problem is that there is literally zero NHL goalie depth beyond Mason in the first place. Playing Emery may or may not turn out badly, but playing with fire isn't smart regardless of if you actually get burned or not. Except when I say playing with fire I don't mean having to start Emery. I just mean having pretty much nothing decent after Mason (it's basically Emery then Heeter then...Gustafsson in goalie gear?).

The first two were against the same team and it's a team the Flyers match up well against proven by our record versus them since 2012 or so and they were also injured beyond belief. Probably the most injured team I've seen this season. Not exactly a fair representation of our schedule.
You're right they were hurt but what were they supposed to do? Win, and it's exactly what they did do. People on these boards put so much value on a lose and we get nothing for a win around here. The team was hurt, they were on a losing streak, etc.. good teams will do what they need to do in those situations and that is win.

Let's not forget that even when they do not have a full healthy lineup they still had the two best players in the world on their team. Malkin and Crosby were shut down for the most part and the Flyers played pretty well defensively against them. I understand people's thinking they were hurt and it diminishes the value of a win, I just never look at it that way.

Last edited by Prongo: 03-18-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Closed Thread