HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Game #68|Tue., Mar. 18, 2014| Blackhawks at Flyers| 7:30 p.m. ET

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2014, 09:52 AM
  #51
SuchySays
Registered User
 
SuchySays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Poconos
Country: United States
Posts: 2,195
vCash: 50
good move going with Emery.

SuchySays is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
  #52
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Win this one for Kimmo, you know it is his birthday today!

Prongo is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
  #53
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,074
vCash: 500
I was looking forward to the game tonight but it had to happen at some point. I just fear that the hawks know all his tendencies and will exploit them all tonight. Hope we play a good sound defensive game tonight and protect him as much as possible.

healthyscratch is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:15 AM
  #54
Doors
Registered User
 
Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
I know that this is said a million times before, but PLEASE Chief, for the love of god let Gustafsson play instead of Grossmann in this game. We really need him against a team like Chicago.

I also hope that Emery is ready to play, we need a goalie in top shape if we want to take two points tonight.

Doors is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:20 AM
  #55
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
good move going with Emery.
Couldn't disagree more, high skilled puck moving teams are the LAST teams that no Hip Razor should play against. Leave him for Dallas. He got lit up last time, and he will get lit up again.

bennysflyers16 is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:30 AM
  #56
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
So according to twitter Emery is probably starting... so basically Berube is giving up this game. The only way they win now is if the team plays 100% perfect in front of him.
Jonsey said razor looked sharp in practice. Nailed it!

TheKingPin is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:36 AM
  #57
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Couldn't disagree more, high skilled puck moving teams are the LAST teams that no Hip Razor should play against. Leave him for Dallas.
The Stars extremely talented first line lit us up last time.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:45 AM
  #58
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Im not sure about that.

It's kinda like people saying we were not making the playoffs because of our tough schedule but we came out and won the first two games in our rough schedule.

Emery will get up for this game, he is playing against his former team where he won a cup. He hasn't played in a while and should either be ready to go or a little rusty. I think he will be gearing up to go here since he is playing his former team. Mason needs a rest here too.
Emery was in the net when we played against the Blackhawks earlier this year. He got lit up.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020471
But you're right, Mason needs rest.

Akanon is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:48 AM
  #59
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Emery was in the net when we played against the Blackhawks earlier this year. He got lit up.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020471
But you're right, Mason needs rest.
I actually realized this when I posted it. It will give him motivation to play better this time around.

I'm not saying it's going to be a win or anything, just find it silly people immediately right off games because of certain things.

Prongo is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:52 AM
  #60
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,074
vCash: 500
Starting a tired Mason against Chicago is worse than starting Emery. We may well lose but I think it makes sense.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 10:56 AM
  #61
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 491
Depending how the first two periods go, I may or may not hit the gym tonight.

Hiesenberg is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
  #62
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 500
G must lead the way tonight.

usahockey22flyers is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
  #63
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I actually realized this when I posted it. It will give him motivation to play better this time around.

I'm not saying it's going to be a win or anything, just find it silly people immediately right off games because of certain things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Starting a tired Mason against Chicago is worse than starting Emery. We may well lose but I think it makes sense.
My thoughts exactly.

Akanon is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 11:38 AM
  #64
mantis toboggan
Registered User
 
mantis toboggan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Why did we not pick up a capable backup at the deadline.... There were quite a few available. I just don't feel confident when emery starts, especially against a team like the hawks.

Here's to him proving me wrong!

mantis toboggan is online now  
Old
03-18-2014, 11:49 AM
  #65
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis toboggan View Post
Why did we not pick up a capable backup at the deadline.... There were quite a few available. I just don't feel confident when emery starts, especially against a team like the hawks.

Here's to him proving me wrong!
Probably because the Flyers had about 3 dates in mind from here on out that he'll play.

Hiesenberg is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 12:11 PM
  #66
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,748
vCash: 156
OK...so, Emery has seen a lot of their shooters. But...they've also seen a lot of him and are going to be well aware of his weaknesses. They have a deep team, if they start getting good puck movement (I'm expecting Schenn's line to be a complete detriment in their own end) things could get ugly.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 12:41 PM
  #67
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
OK...so, Emery has seen a lot of their shooters. But...they've also seen a lot of him and are going to be well aware of his weaknesses. They have a deep team, if they start getting good puck movement (I'm expecting Schenn's line to be a complete detriment in their own end) things could get ugly.
yeah, best be prepared for alot of east/west puck movement trying to get Emery to have to use those zombie hips..

if Gus. isnt in to replace Grossmann i suspect a shot total against nearing 50...

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 12:42 PM
  #68
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,033
vCash: 340
Raanta is starting for Hawks tonight

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 12:46 PM
  #69
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer
 
chupanibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Country: Italy
Posts: 908
vCash: 500
Ok Emery, this is your chance. Please please please don't **** it up too badly....

chupanibre is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 12:49 PM
  #70
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 50
Emery ought to have played on Sunday. Simple as that.

1865 is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 01:02 PM
  #71
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,283
vCash: 500
Well at least their backup is getting the nod as well, Raanta's numbers aren't really that good despite playing behind one of the best defenses in the league.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 01:10 PM
  #72
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,033
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well at least their backup is getting the nod as well, Raanta's numbers aren't really that good despite playing behind one of the best defenses in the league.
He has struggled since hot start + He barely plays so that doesn't help him either

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 01:18 PM
  #73
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,066
vCash: 500
Meh, we have to play Emery at some point the problem is that there is literally zero NHL goalie depth beyond Mason in the first place. Playing Emery may or may not turn out badly, but playing with fire isn't smart regardless of if you actually get burned or not. Except when I say playing with fire I don't mean having to start Emery. I just mean having pretty much nothing decent after Mason (it's basically Emery then Heeter then...Gustafsson in goalie gear?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Im not sure about that.

It's kinda like people saying we were not making the playoffs because of our tough schedule but we came out and won the first two games in our rough schedule.

Emery will get up for this game, he is playing against his former team where he won a cup. He hasn't played in a while and should either be ready to go or a little rusty. I think he will be gearing up to go here since he is playing his former team. Mason needs a rest here too.
The first two were against the same team and it's a team the Flyers match up well against proven by our record versus them since 2012 or so and they were also injured beyond belief. Probably the most injured team I've seen this season. Not exactly a fair representation of our schedule.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 01:25 PM
  #74
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 50
No need for the fear and pessimism shown here. They are a fantastic side but only 3 teams have won more in the past 10 than ourselves. Chicago only have 4 more ROWs than us and they're 5-5 in the last 10.

They're good, they're probably better than us overall but we can beat them. Respect them, don't fear them.

1865 is offline  
Old
03-18-2014, 01:28 PM
  #75
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Meh, we have to play Emery at some point the problem is that there is literally zero NHL goalie depth beyond Mason in the first place. Playing Emery may or may not turn out badly, but playing with fire isn't smart regardless of if you actually get burned or not. Except when I say playing with fire I don't mean having to start Emery. I just mean having pretty much nothing decent after Mason (it's basically Emery then Heeter then...Gustafsson in goalie gear?).



The first two were against the same team and it's a team the Flyers match up well against proven by our record versus them since 2012 or so and they were also injured beyond belief. Probably the most injured team I've seen this season. Not exactly a fair representation of our schedule.
You're right they were hurt but what were they supposed to do? Win, and it's exactly what they did do. People on these boards put so much value on a lose and we get nothing for a win around here. The team was hurt, they were on a losing streak, etc.. good teams will do what they need to do in those situations and that is win.

Let's not forget that even when they do not have a full healthy lineup they still had the two best players in the world on their team. Malkin and Crosby were shut down for the most part and the Flyers played pretty well defensively against them. I understand people's thinking they were hurt and it diminishes the value of a win, I just never look at it that way.


Last edited by Prongo: 03-18-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Prongo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.