HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Game #69: KINGS vs. COYOTES -4-3 collapse /wrists, Monday, 3/17/14 @ 7:30 pm

Old
03-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

vCash: 500
Some of these posts...

Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The problem is that Toffoli doesn't play as well in the bottom six, but hey maybe something along the lines of

King - Stoll - Toffoli

might work as a unit. Sutter does have a lot more options at his disposal with Gaborik in the lineup.
I sometimes think that this team operates more with a #1 line, than a 2a and 2B

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:23 PM
johnjm22

This has been a strange season.

At times, this team has looked unbeatable and gone on some of the better runs in team history. Other times they've looked allergic to winning.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Richie10

Yeah, with a healthy lineup I would like to see:

Gaborik-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
King-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post

Gaborik-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
King-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis
That does look good, however I am not sure on how the second line would gel. Carter is a finisher but often needs some one to set him up. The rookies cannot be relied o not be that person. Also Carter is very far from being a set up man himself, and I could see TT working best with a set up man.

Old
03-18-2014, 02:40 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Still think this team is carrying some deadweight, but nothing that will slow them down too much for the remainder of the year.
When you look at some of the numbers, it's sort of amazing that the Kings are where they are.

King has 2 goals in his last 33 games. Richards 3 in 44. Williams is having an off year, mostly because his assist totals are down. That's mostly because he hasn't been on a line that has been scoring much this season, thanks to a guy like Brown having just a terrible season. Speaking of Brown, he's had a terrible season. Going back to Williams, he has 1 non-empty net goal in 24 games. Toffoli has been much better since the break, and he's a rookie, but he also has only 2 goals in 27 games. Voynov has struggled sort of everywhere this year, and he hasn't scored a goal in 49 games. Mitchell and Greene have been up and down. Muzzin has been learning on the job. That's 4 of 7 defensemen that have been at least a little shaky more often than not this year.

Through all that, the Kings did win 8 in a row before the last 3 games. They are in a playoff spot. They had given up the fewest goals in the league before last night. They're also well behind the top teams in the division and the conference in terms of record. Those footsteps might also start to get a little louder if they don't start winning at home late in the year, and putting a few more decent games together against teams fighting for playoff spots.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
This has been a strange season.

At times, this team has looked unbeatable and gone on some of the better runs in team history. Other times they've looked allergic to winning.
yup, I guess we hope we get hot a month from now.

Old
03-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
That does look good, however I am not sure on how the second line would gel. Carter is a finisher but often needs some one to set him up. The rookies cannot be relied o not be that person. Also Carter is very far from being a set up man himself, and I could see TT working best with a set up man.
Carter and Toffoli are proven to have incredible chemistry at C and RW, respectively. Toffoli and Pearson have a lot of experience together, and Pearson is playing on a whole other level right now. It may not be a permanent solution, but no reason to not try it now.

All I know is that Richards looks absolutely worthless pretty much everywhere on the ice and he's a lead anchor on that second line ATM.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
yup, I guess we hope we get hot a month from now.
That quite literally is all we can do. They will likely limp into the playoffs, and only go as far as Quick can take them.

I just hope we get the 2012 Quick and not the 2013 Quick.

And while on the subject of being greedy, it would be GREAT if sometime the players could score enough to carry Quick, but I digress...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Using the logic proposed on this site, if we traded Mike Richards, we would never lose another game? Because every time we've lost this season he's talking almost all of the blame. Am I getting this right? Stupid Dean, if he simply traded MR we wouldn't be on a gut-wrenching 3 game losing streak where we've mostly outplayed the opposition.

Old
03-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings only have two skaters on the roster with over 20 goals this season. That's pretty abysmal. And just one player has over 50 points, and that's Kopitar with 57. Goes to show you how dominant these guys are defensively (least on most nights) that they have such high +/- numbers while producing at a far below average pace.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 03:51 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Gaborik-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
King-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis
That 2nd line might score, but it's going to get scored on, a lot.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
That 2nd line might score, but it's going to get scored on, a lot.
Agreed.

It's a challenge to be sure and you can't bulletproof the roster, but if you can pick one of our four lines and go "yep, I'm matching Thornton up against that line," we're probably in need of shifting it (that's avoiding the fact that McLelland loves the size mismatch between Thornton/Richards).

Just some interesting thoughts here regarding mentalities across a long season and down the stretch:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2014/0...ngs-seriously/

basically Bourne is just musing through what a lot of us have discussed about the mental and physical grind of being a perennial playoff team and mentalities. Teams that are going hard all season full-tilt just to make the playoffs vs. those who warm up when they need to.

03-18-2014, 04:01 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Using the logic proposed on this site, if we traded Mike Richards, we would never lose another game? Because every time we've lost this season he's talking almost all of the blame. Am I getting this right? Stupid Dean, if he simply traded MR we wouldn't be on a gut-wrenching 3 game losing streak where we've mostly outplayed the opposition.
You forgot to blame JW as well. You're slipping, bud.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Some of these posts...
I SMH head every ****ing day.

Every ****ing day.

But it is pure entertainment, no doubt.

03-18-2014, 05:13 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
While I don't agree with the people who feel this way, I can understand the frustation. When LA acquired him, we thought we were getting a player who not only was two-way, physical leader, but also someone who could create offense... a player who could lessen the burden on Kopitar.

Certainly there have been stretches of that, but the consistency from game to game is lacking. One game he'll look like the Richards we thought we were getting. The next he's bumbling pucks, throwing blind passes to no one in particular and is a complete non-factor.

With players like Kopitar or Carter, they may not have the best of games, but even when they're off, there is still a semblence of why they are top players in this league.

Richards is the 2nd highest paid forward cap wise on the team and locked in for quite a while. While I don't think for a second he's the reason the team loses or has been losing, he's doing very little to fix it in terms of his on ice play.

If he were a little more dangerous in the offensive zone, people would complain less. And given his salary, I don't think that is unreasonable to expect.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
While I don't agree with the people who feel this way, I can understand the frustation. When LA acquired him, we thought we were getting a player who not only was two-way, physical leader, but also someone who could create offense... a player who could lessen the burden on Kopitar.

Certainly there have been stretches of that, but the consistency from game to game is lacking. One game he'll look like the Richards we thought we were getting. The next he's bumbling pucks, throwing blind passes to no one in particular and is a complete non-factor.

With players like Kopitar or Carter, they may not have the best of games, but even when they're off, there is still a semblence of why they are top players in this league.

Richards is the 2nd highest paid forward cap wise on the team and locked in for quite a while. While I don't think for a second he's the reason the team loses or has been losing, he's doing very little to fix it in terms of his on ice play.

If he were a little more dangerous in the offensive zone, people would complain less. And given his salary, I don't think that is unreasonable to expect.
I am not interested in trading Richards we would all of a sudden be thin down the middle. I know that the idea is Carter moves to centre, however really I would prefer having three top centres and have insurance if injury.
If the kings get swept in round 1 I would look into dealing brown though. I think he is expendable especially if gabby re-signs. If we can get a top LHD for Brown I would be in favour of it.

Old
03-18-2014, 05:31 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
I am not interested in trading Richards we would all of a sudden be thin down the middle. I know that the idea is Carter moves to centre, however really I would prefer having three top centres and have insurance if injury.
If the kings get swept in round 1 I would look into dealing brown though. I think he is expendable especially if gabby re-signs. If we can get a top LHD for Brown I would be in favour of it.
I see many people who want Brown traded, and given his cap hit next year, term and his play this year, it's probably not unwarranted. However, keep in mind that he's been sick twice (first time he said he lost like 10lbs or whatever), and injured. His play has been mostly consistent throughout his career, and all players have down years.

Granted we need a dman to play with Doughty, I'm willing to give Brown some slack here, even if we get booted in Rd 1. I thought he looked pretty good on the 3rd line.

Old
03-18-2014, 05:33 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Okay let's use logic.

Our first line has generated a lot of scoring chances...

Richards line had done nothing. No one is blaming losses on Richards... He's just not doing jack to help the team win.

We are supposed to have two top lines creating chances, and all I see is Kopitars line creating chances, and then Richards line, doing nothing, especially Richards he's a top 6 forward getting paid top 6 money to set up his players. He's holding Carter back now. Stoll would be better with Carter now. I'mnot blaming the losses on Richards, but man, I'm watching Kopitar bust his ass, he's not scoring, but his line is getting chances. You have to be a total Homer not to notice that Richards creates no chances at all right now.

Trading Richards for someone who has more skill and is younger would help this team win. Because he's not helping at all.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:00 PM
redcard

I find it humorous that people are talking about trading core players right now.

The deadline's passed and playoffs don't start for another month. I hate to break it to you, but the team is set and the one part of the year that matters hasn't started yet. The part of the year that the team is assembled for hasn't started yet.

The amount of whining about Brown, Richards, Williams, etc. is mind-boggling to me. They're having down seasons, it happens, but they're far from useless players. The team isn't changing before April so you're stuck with them and once playoffs start nobody's going to care how many goals Richards scored in the regular season anyway.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

When we got Mike Richards he had just put up 66 points in an extremely offensive oriented system. I know everyone *****es when I bring up systems, but Mike Richards was NEVER going to produce at the rate he was in Philadelphia while on the Kings. Never. Ever.

Injuries have definitely had a way with his physical game, but to be honest, I don't mind. I'd rather him protect his body then go blind into corners zero ****s given. Especially given the fact that he's the shortest forward on this team.

And anyone actually believing he's created MORE of a burden for Kopitar is crazy. That's ****ing ridiculous.

A neat fact - the Kings are widely considered to be a team built for the playoffs. While in LA during the playoffs Mike Richards has put up - 7G/20A/27P in 35GP. Looks like rubbish to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Okay let's use logic.

Our first line has generated a lot of scoring chances...

Richards line had done nothing. No one is blaming losses on Richards... He's just not doing jack to help the team win.

We are supposed to have two top lines creating chances, and all I see is Kopitars line creating chances, and then Richards line, doing nothing, especially Richards he's a top 6 forward getting paid top 6 money to set up his players. He's holding Carter back now. Stoll would be better with Carter now. I'mnot blaming the losses on Richards, but man, I'm watching Kopitar bust his ass, he's not scoring, but his line is getting chances. You have to be a total Homer not to notice that Richards creates no chances at all right now.

Trading Richards for someone who has more skill and is younger would help this team win. Because he's not helping at all.
Let's use this logic - where would the Los Angeles Kings be without Mike Richards' point production this season, which ranks third among all LA players. News flash, the Kings don't put up a lot of points. I'd crunch the numbers on what the NHL league average is for second line centers, but I've been really busy lately and don't want to. However, I'd bet that he is close to the average.

He'll probably finish the year close to 50 points which is not bad considering our top center will finish the year with close to 70 points. Last year, projected to 82 games, would have been his best year as a King. BIG SURPRISE that everyone on this team produced extremely well last season, especially Dustin Brown. The team as a whole hasn't produced much this year.

Jeff Carter should never be a center on this team. Ever. We don't have the wing depth to try that and he's put up awesome numbers while playing on Richards' wing (last season).

Mike Richards is not getting traded and anyone who believes it, seriously believes it, needs to pull their head out.

Old
03-18-2014, 06:25 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
When we got Mike Richards he had just put up 66 points in an extremely offensive oriented system. I know everyone *****es when I bring up systems, but Mike Richards was NEVER going to produce at the rate he was in Philadelphia while on the Kings. Never. Ever.

Injuries have definitely had a way with his physical game, but to be honest, I don't mind. I'd rather him protect his body then go blind into corners zero ****s given. Especially given the fact that he's the shortest forward on this team.

And anyone actually believing he's created MORE of a burden for Kopitar is crazy. That's ****ing ridiculous.

A neat fact - the Kings are widely considered to be a team built for the playoffs. While in LA during the playoffs Mike Richards has put up - 7G/20A/27P in 35GP. Looks like rubbish to me...
It's not about systems or the numbers he put up in Philly, it's more that he isn't an offensive threat. I'm sure Kopitar would put up 600pts per season in Philly, but in LA even though he's at a mere 57, he's still a consistent danger to score (for the most part).

No one ever said he's created more of a burden on Kopitar.... What was said is that he was expected to lessen it; meaning a player who could lessen the burden of Kopitar having to be the only player capable of generating offense. Giving teams other lines and players they needed to focus and shut down.

Old
03-18-2014, 06:43 PM
SFKingshomer

I'm not worried about Brown. Richards looks drunk or out of shape, maybe both. He doesn't even get in scrums anymore....wtf happened to the guy?

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:54 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:

Let's use this logic - where would the Los Angeles Kings be without Mike Richards' point production this season, which ranks third among all LA players. News flash, the Kings don't put up a lot of points. I'd crunch the numbers on what the NHL league average is for second line centers, but I've been really busy lately and don't want to. However, I'd bet that he is close to the average.

He'll probably finish the year close to 50 points which is not bad considering our top center will finish the year with close to 70 points. Last year, projected to 82 games, would have been his best year as a King. BIG SURPRISE that everyone on this team produced extremely well last season, especially Dustin Brown. The team as a whole hasn't produced much this year.

Jeff Carter should never be a center on this team. Ever. We don't have the wing depth to try that and he's put up awesome numbers while playing on Richards' wing (last season).

Mike Richards is not getting traded and anyone who believes it, seriously believes it, needs to pull their head out.
Oh so are we really going to play the "What if" game? Cool, I'll play too. What if we had a center that didn't slump as much as richards, that had more skill than richards? Can you imagine how many points that second line center could have instead of richards? Can you imagine how many more games we could have won more with that center. What if that center made all the lines click and made our offense top 10 in the league? I can play that game too.

Save me that excuse. Richards has 9 goals... Martinez has 8. Richards, aka golden boy, has benefitted from the likes of Carter. Yes that Same Jeff Carter guy that can produce with out richards. Yes that guy. It's unacceptable.

Richards is slowing down big time, and I dont want him to be a king when his play hits total rock bottom. Points are points, I dont care if he has 600 points, the guy simply isn't trying hard. Plus his defense is absolutely ******, yesterday the guy failed on so many reads and clearing the puck.

I dont care what he has done in philadelphia. He's sucking ass, and he's slowing down, and it looks like he isn't even trying. Playoff performer? Cool story. Kings aren't paying him to only show up in the playoffs. Hell, he's not even showing up down the stretch.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I'm not worried about Brown. Richards looks drunk or out of shape, maybe both. He doesn't even get in scrums anymore....wtf happened to the guy?
dry island isn't all it's cracked up to be

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote